Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'm getting what looks like an Android update pushed to my S3. Has anyone else tried it? Will it just poo poo all over my phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Totally TWISTED posted:

I'm getting what looks like an Android update pushed to my S3. Has anyone else tried it? Will it just poo poo all over my phone?

If your S3 is made by Samsung it probably will.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

Wankie posted:

Ummm, upgrading to an iphone shouldn't end your sero plan unless you mean your now on the $50 sero premium smartphone plan? If not you got SCREWED you never should have lost you sero plan, and may be able to get it back. Did you get an upgrade not from a sprint store/sprint online? Also the Galaxy S4 is being announced today so its probably going to excellent and great upgrade from an S1 especially.

Ordered the Iphone online through sprint via upgrade, when I went to activate it part of the activation process forced me to choose a new plan as the iphone (which was an iphone 4, not 4s) was claimed to be "not supported" under sero.

Guess I better call the sero line to complain/get this fixed then? I'll try to hold on with the s1 until I can get the s4 with enough credit to warrant re-upping my contract. Is there any better sounding reason then "hey I think I got hosed mannn" that I can put to them?

Thanks for the help btw, really appreciated.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Agatsu posted:

Ordered the Iphone online through sprint via upgrade, when I went to activate it part of the activation process forced me to choose a new plan as the iphone (which was an iphone 4, not 4s) was claimed to be "not supported" under sero.

Guess I better call the sero line to complain/get this fixed then? I'll try to hold on with the s1 until I can get the s4 with enough credit to warrant re-upping my contract. Is there any better sounding reason then "hey I think I got hosed mannn" that I can put to them?

Thanks for the help btw, really appreciated.

Order whatever phone online, then Call SERO support and they will activate it when you get it.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

Duckman2008 posted:

Order whatever phone online, then Call SERO support and they will activate it when you get it.

Obviously what I should have done. I'll call them up later and see if I can get sero back on my other line. Save me like 30$ a month at least.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

You'd think that if 300MB of roaming monthly for 3 months was bad they'd say something after last month's 5.9GB of roaming data and this month's tally looking to be the same. This will be my third month with heavy roaming usage, but the first one only had ~400MB so I may need to crack 5-6GB in April to get noticed.

They just need you around. :v: I left them early, all they got out of me was $60 instead of the usual $89. They may or may not be taking it out on you. Apologies!

In all seriousness though, how much is your ETF that you can't leave, sell the GNex, and buy a Nexus 4/Straight Talk? Didn't you get a Nexus S like a few weeks after I did and bought the GNex off of Duckman so no contract reuppage?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Yes calling WiMax 4G is very misleading.

Bullshit. 4G means fourth generation wireless network. WiMax and LTE are a generation newer than 3G-derived technologies, therefore 4G.

Unfortunately the ITU left WiMax and LTE hanging by deciding that their definition of 4G required 100mbit mobile speeds which neither could deliver in their original forms, then T-Mobile pulled their bullshit with calling HSPA "4G", AT&T sued, lost for reasons of court idiocy, and now as far as the marketroids are concerned "4G" just means fast cellular internet.

Real 4G networks can reliably provide low pings as they're optimized for data traffic and running voice as IP packets. HSPA "4G" doesn't.

On another note, how long does it take for an Airave to sync up and start working? I often have to work at sites which have lovely cellular coverage and/or I may be in the basement. We have reliable internet there though, so could I get one and then just throw it somewhere near a window (I know GPS and such) and expect it to work in a useful period of time?

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Man the S4 sounds like it's going to own. Can't wait to confuse people when I show them my phone has iTracking :v:

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Totally TWISTED posted:

Probably the MB1 update to 4.1.2, my wife and I have been running it for a bit with no issues.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

datajosh posted:

Probably the MB1 update to 4.1.2, my wife and I have been running it for a bit with no issues.

Did the version increase? I looked afterward but forgot what the previous version was. The only change I noticed was the ability to take multiple consecutive pictures by holding down the camera button. I wonder what else was included.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

They just need you around. :v: I left them early, all they got out of me was $60 instead of the usual $89. They may or may not be taking it out on you. Apologies!

In all seriousness though, how much is your ETF that you can't leave, sell the GNex, and buy a Nexus 4/Straight Talk? Didn't you get a Nexus S like a few weeks after I did and bought the GNex off of Duckman so no contract reuppage?

I know my ETF is using the new model, but I bought the NS4G from Duckman, then after a couple months I traded it and my 3D in in April to cover buying out my contract and then buying a GNex at new contract prices. Therefore my 2 years is up in about 13 months - April 2014. Not sure exactly how they calculate the ETF shrinkage but I imagine it's at least a couple hundred. At $90 monthly I'd probably be better off just paying the ETF, considering I'd be saving $30-50 monthly by switching to ST.

However, if they really do boot me for excessive roaming after 3 months then I would have no ETF if they send me the letter this month. I think I might just eat the ETF if I'm not getting kicked off by the time May's bill arrives.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

the littlest prince posted:

Did the version increase? I looked afterward but forgot what the previous version was. The only change I noticed was the ability to take multiple consecutive pictures by holding down the camera button. I wonder what else was included.
Technically MA6 took it from 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 but not everyone got that update before it was superseded by MB1.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Eagerly awaiting the S4 reveal. Should be less than an hour away.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I just hope it comes with a reasonably close release date - I have an upgrade coming on April 1 and I really, really want off of my E3D.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

datajosh posted:

Currently running 4.1.1, installing the update now :ohdear:

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

IOwnCalculus posted:

I just hope it comes with a reasonably close release date - I have an upgrade coming on April 1 and I really, really want off of my E3D.

I feel your pain. I have an upgrade already but since I'm on a swac plan won't be able to get it until employees can order it. I think I might find someone who wants an Iphone 5 and trade upgrades.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Also jumping on the wanting to get rid of my Evo 3D bandwagon. CM10.1 has been decent overall but lately I've been getting random reboots.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

FlyingCheese posted:

Also jumping on the wanting to get rid of my Evo 3D bandwagon. CM10.1 has been decent overall but lately I've been getting random reboots.

I'm so glad I ditched my 3D for a used S3. The phone is so much better in every way, and I haven't even tried looking into custom ROMs because I'm happy enough with stock and Nova Launcher.

And since I bought it used, I'm looking to be in a pretty decent place when the S4 comes out...

Anonomono
Mar 12, 2013

Totally TWISTED posted:

Currently running 4.1.1, installing the update now :ohdear:

Just got it too.
:allears: Can't wait to see what 4.2 TW is going to look like.

...That is if they do poo poo with the lockscreen

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

One of my friends reported seeing LTE in Philadelphia (Northern Liberties area). Here's hoping I see it in the 'burbs.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

azurite posted:

One of my friends reported seeing LTE in Philadelphia (Northern Liberties area). Here's hoping I see it in the 'burbs.

That would be nice, I literally have yet to see LTE anywhere in Philly.

Edit: that's good timing, I literally just started getting LTE at work today in Exton PA west of Philly.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 15, 2013

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Anonomono posted:

Just got it too.
:allears: Can't wait to see what 4.2 TW is going to look like.

...That is if they do poo poo with the lockscreen
http://www.sammobile.com/2013/02/22/i9300xxufmb3-galaxy-s-iii-android-4-2-1-jelly-bean-leaked-firmware/

Doesn't look much different except for Quick Settings and lockscreen widgets so far.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Duckman2008 posted:

That would be nice, I literally have yet to see LTE anywhere in Philly.

Edit: that's good timing, I literally just started getting LTE at work today in Exton PA west of Philly.

Sorry, I assumed he meant at home. He actually gets it a work near Camden. Still, not far off. I'll actually be in Exton tonight. Maybe I can try it out!

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003
Sprint speeds over the last month have tanked horribly in the area where I work(south Baton Rouge). They did some tower upgrades at the end of last year, which gave me enough of an improvement to be able to stream some audio and surf the web. I was getting about 130 kbps down, 100 up, and a ping under 300, but now I have a ping over 700, 32 down, and 14 up.

I'm not going keep paying for unusable data, so I'm considering dropping back to dumb phones to go back to SERO classic $30 plan for both lines. It's either that or force roam to Verizon until Sprint cancels my contracts, but I'm hoping things will get better next year.

What is a decent dumb phone that is eligible for SERO classic now? I have my old Touch pro 2, but it is showing its age with almost no battery life left and daily crashes on a stock ROM. I'll still need at least one other phone, unless I can find my old palm Centro.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

bigpolar posted:

I'm not going keep paying for unusable data, so I'm considering dropping back to dumb phones to go back to SERO classic $30 plan for both lines. It's either that or force roam to Verizon until Sprint cancels my contracts, but I'm hoping things will get better next year.

Hell why not just force roam on Verizon and use the phone. They might never cancel your contract but you'll be getting the service you want.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

bigpolar posted:

What is a decent dumb phone that is eligible for SERO classic now? I have my old Touch pro 2, but it is showing its age with almost no battery life left and daily crashes on a stock ROM.

Just get a used battery for the TP2 (I get mine at Amazon for $6-8 shipped). And do a hard reset after backing up all your contacts (using something like PPCPimBackup).

Make sure to wipe your text messages out from time to time. I found that excess messages bogged the phone down quite a bit.

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.
Anyone having a decent experience with Sprint in Dallas? Going to be moving soon and thinking about switching to another wireless provider because I'm getting real sick of Sprint's terrible loving service as of late.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ShinAli posted:

Anyone having a decent experience with Sprint in Dallas? Going to be moving soon and thinking about switching to another wireless provider because I'm getting real sick of Sprint's terrible loving service as of late.

Dallas should actually be decent, it was a LTE launch city. A few guys here live there and can give you a better idea, but when I was there last it was usable. I guess it comes down to how much you will travel outside of Dallas.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
ok, wife sold iPhone back to Sprint but never backed her pictures up. Any possible way she can get it back tomorrow to back them up on iCloud? Normally I wouldn't care since we are headed down the wrong path of marriage but there are over 2 years of pictures of our daughter that are possibly lost.

Personally I think she's an idiot for never allowing me to back it up but that's neither here nor there at this point. She said her phone was dying as well. if she can get it back, can she take it to the Apple Store so they can fix it to upload photos if needed?

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

thisdude23 posted:

ok, wife sold iPhone back to Sprint but never backed her pictures up. Any possible way she can get it back tomorrow to back them up on iCloud? Normally I wouldn't care since we are headed down the wrong path of marriage but there are over 2 years of pictures of our daughter that are possibly lost.

Personally I think she's an idiot for never allowing me to back it up but that's neither here nor there at this point. She said her phone was dying as well. if she can get it back, can she take it to the Apple Store so they can fix it to upload photos if needed?

Bring in a laptop if you can and ask if you can back it up to iTunes. As long as they haven't sent back a box before hand you should be fine. I cloud isn't really an option.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

Giblet posted:

Bring in a laptop if you can and ask if you can back it up to iTunes. As long as they haven't sent back a box before hand you should be fine. I cloud isn't really an option.

I know she won't allow me to because she has other pictures on there that she doesn't want me to see (of what, I have no idea) so are there oter alternatives? Like can they possibly transfer onto her new phone for her?

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

thisdude23 posted:

I know she won't allow me to because she has other pictures on there that she doesn't want me to see (of what, I have no idea) so are there oter alternatives? Like can they possibly transfer onto her new phone for her?

When I worked for sprint the last thing we wanted to do was transfer pictures. The problem is the celebrite devices used to transfer information take so long with pictures. Like hours. We couldn't afford to tie the machine up for that long. They likely won't reactivate the phone so backing up to iCloud would mean you are at the mercy of their wifi, aka air card.

When I ran into this the only reasonable option I had was to have a customer bring in a laptop that already had iTunes installed.

Also if she has pictures on there that she doesn't want anyone to see someone has already seen them. I never looked personally but there is always that one guy who will look through all the pictures. Always while a phone before transferring ownership to another person or company.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

thisdude23 posted:

I know she won't allow me to because she has other pictures on there that she doesn't want me to see (of what, I have no idea)

Can you record your wife saying "moose and squirrel" and link to the thread, please? I have a hunch.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

Giblet posted:

When I worked for sprint the last thing we wanted to do was transfer pictures. The problem is the celebrite devices used to transfer information take so long with pictures. Like hours. We couldn't afford to tie the machine up for that long. They likely won't reactivate the phone so backing up to iCloud would mean you are at the mercy of their wifi, aka air card.

When I ran into this the only reasonable option I had was to have a customer bring in a laptop that already had iTunes installed.

Also if she has pictures on there that she doesn't want anyone to see someone has already seen them. I never looked personally but there is always that one guy who will look through all the pictures. Always while a phone before transferring ownership to another person or company.

I told her last night if needed I can take my laptop and we can transfer pictures through iTunes, and she seemed open to the idea but we'll see after she calls them or goes by today.

moolchaba posted:

Can you record your wife saying "moose and squirrel" and link to the thread, please? I have a hunch.

No, that's ok, thank you though...

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I can't be the only one with a launch evo 3d and a contract that ends in april. Both the s4 and the delayed htc one should be out, what are you guys choosing?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The E3D made me finally realize that every phone I've disliked by the time I was done with it was, in fact, an HTC product; I don't think I can do an HTC One because of that. Will the S4 actually be in stores by then?

Honestly, I still think I might go Note II, but since I'm on EPRP, it hurts to think of paying $300 when nearly any other carrier (or any other Sprint plan) can get it for a lot less than that.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

IOwnCalculus posted:

The E3D made me finally realize that every phone I've disliked by the time I was done with it was, in fact, an HTC product; I don't think I can do an HTC One because of that. Will the S4 actually be in stores by then?

This. I honestly wouldn't even consider a One after owning an Evo Shift and then a 3D. Both were ok at launch and garbage within a year due to HTCs crappy software support. Samsung has had some problems too but seem to have really upped their game over the last couple of years.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

IOwnCalculus posted:

Honestly, I still think I might go Note II, but since I'm on EPRP, it hurts to think of paying $300 when nearly any other carrier (or any other Sprint plan) can get it for a lot less than that.

If you're on the same contract schedule I am, that must mean you had a Hero... Or rather suffered with a Hero. I went with a Pre instead, and we all know how that one turned out. I can't hate on the pre that much, overclocked it was much better then my friends Hero. On launch up until they started releasing overclock kernels? Not so fun.

There's so many things the One gets right over the S4, but then fails on.. it's such a hard choice. Especially given they'll be on the same SOC for sprint.

The Note 2 seems solid. Everyone loves it..which is why I'm interested in the S4. The note's size is a deterrent for me with the profession I'm in unfortunately. Scares me with the ever increasing size for every upgrade I've had (3.2 -> 4.3 -> 5?).

I guess I'm the exception in that I have a 10 inch tablet that I take for commutes, so the phone gets relegated to email, basic web stuff, banking apps, transit/maps, photography and actual phone duty. If I'm going to invest the time in watching a movie or something on the go, it'd be on the tablet. It's more about durability and battery life then crazy media consumption or gesture gimmick type stuff, for me at least.

Pluses for the one-
-Should be more durable, at least based on weight and construction materials.
-Higher PPI, SLCD better then LED in most respects (color, viewing angle)
-Possible better camera in terms of low light? (gotta wait for some side by sides)
-Stereo front facing speakers (not a huge deal, but still, a nice touch)
-overall nicer aesthetic (just my opinion here)

Pluses for the S4-
-Lighter weight due to materials
-Brighter display
-Larger, removable battery
-Expandable Storage
-Latest OS ships with it
-Has more goofy sensors then the one (no one should care about a humidity sensor, but there you go)

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

I can't be the only one with a launch evo 3d and a contract that ends in april. Both the s4 and the delayed htc one should be out, what are you guys choosing?

Personally I'd suggest an S3, S4 or Note 2 if you want to stick with Android. All are top end hardware from a manufacturer that has proven to make durable products. Samsung has some issues but I think they the best Android OEM on Sprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

zer0spunk posted:

Stick100 posted:

Personally I'd suggest an S3, S4 or Note 2 if you want to stick with Android. All are top end hardware from a manufacturer that has proven to make durable products. Samsung has some issues but I think they the best Android OEM on Sprint.

I was until a month and 6 days ago. I posted about how Sprint refused to do anything for me since I was so close to being able to use an upgrade. I went through 4 Evo3Ds, 3 of them with the exact same problem that techs were able to replicate. After that, I lost all my faith in HTC for the time being.

I went with a Note2, and am very happy with it.