Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
At this point, I'm increasingly in favor of the OP locking the thread until there's an actual new release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

FredMSloniker posted:

At this point, I'm increasingly in favor of the OP locking the thread until there's an actual new release.

Or we can just drive out the heathens and get back to worshiping the greatest motorcycle-riding manga-drawing cameraman ever.

Game Center CX - Cult of PersonABEty

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Game Center CX - Burn the heathen who don't own their own inflatable Nakayama bodypillow.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Game Center CX - I want to play hard rear end games with Inoko MAX

I would totally sympathy cry with you Inoko :3:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Since this thread mentioned Wreck-it Ralph I finally got around to watching it last night. That was a wonderful movie :allears:

I watched the Legacy of the Wizard episode again last night, and I got to wondering. Is it ever actually explained in game or in the manual or whatever what you have to do to beat the game? It seemed pretty bloody arcane even by NES standards, small wonder Arino had to be handheld so much.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Ciaphas posted:

Since this thread mentioned Wreck-it Ralph I finally got around to watching it last night. That was a wonderful movie :allears:

I watched the Legacy of the Wizard episode again last night, and I got to wondering. Is it ever actually explained in game or in the manual or whatever what you have to do to beat the game? It seemed pretty bloody arcane even by NES standards, small wonder Arino had to be handheld so much.

All you really need to know to get through it is what the items do, who can equip them, and that each of the four directions you can go from the central room (aside from where you came in) is a dungeon for each family member. The original Zelda has more aimless random bullcrap.

TemporalParadox
Dec 21, 2003

*~blush~*

Ciaphas posted:

I actually finally got around to watching it after seeing that awesome mockumentary here as well. I thought I would enjoy it, but it was even better than I expected.

As for Legacy of the Wizard, sort of. I don't think the game itself is terribly useful in explaining much, but like most games back then the bulk of the story/info is in the manual. You can find it quite easily online actually.

Pulled Pork
Jun 11, 2011
Just to throw my two cents in...

If it WAS on Crunchyroll...they're renowned for doing simulcasts, as in broadcasting a new episode as it goes out in Japan, but with lovely English subs. If this were to be a thing...I wouldn't be mad about it.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Pulled Pork posted:

If it WAS on Crunchyroll...they're renowned for doing simulcasts, as in broadcasting a new episode as it goes out in Japan, but with lovely English subs. If this were to be a thing...I wouldn't be mad about it.

It's forever unlikely, but yeah, it's nice to think about. And it would make their live-action catalog not awful, too!

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Tobaccrow posted:

All you really need to know to get through it is what the items do, who can equip them, and that each of the four directions you can go from the central room (aside from where you came in) is a dungeon for each family member. The original Zelda has more aimless random bullcrap.

Wasn't there a dungeon in the first Zelda that you could only find by randomly bombing a section of wall somewhere in the overworld? I don't remember if that was in the first or second quest, but still, that's some pretty impressively random bullshit.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Pulled Pork posted:

Really? How does that work? Do they have a translator slap the script together before it airs, and do their translations go on to later DVD releases in the US? I mean, that would mean they'd have to essentially have one show translated twice, otherwise. That's crazy, I've never heard of something being simulcast AND subtitled, I really want to hear more about that.

edit: According to their Jobs page on Crunchyroll, "Ability to work with aggressive deadlines for simulcasts"
and "Familiarity with Aegisub and .ssa subtitle format" are requirements of their translator, so my guess is they do all this on-site. I guess they get sent scripts early, translate it, and slap it up just in time for release.

VVVV Hahaha that's nuts, when I read Shonen Jump last they were like a year old in the US and I think had just started running Dragon Ball at the beginning of Z. Amazing what a, like, decade can do.

Hit or miss Clitoris fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 18, 2013

Pulled Pork
Jun 11, 2011

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Really? How does that work? Do they have a translator slap the script together before it airs, and do their translations go on to later DVD releases in the US? I mean, that would mean they'd have to essentially have one show translated twice, otherwise. That's crazy, I've never heard of something being simulcast AND subtitled, I really want to hear more about that.

It's not so rare these days - Weekly Shonen Jump just started releasing in the US in English the same day the issue goes out in Japan in Japanese (albeit online only). I've no idea how Crunchy's model works though in terms of what happens to the subs...I assume they just license what they want to license, as the other companies do.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Funimation does this as well, they put up new episodes of One Piece the same day it airs in Japan fully subtitled. They probably work under some pretty intense time crunches because there's usually a few typos every time, but compared to waiting 1 or 2 weeks for a fansub it's pretty good.

TemporalParadox
Dec 21, 2003

*~blush~*

Humongous Pear posted:

Wasn't there a dungeon in the first Zelda that you could only find by randomly bombing a section of wall somewhere in the overworld? I don't remember if that was in the first or second quest, but still, that's some pretty impressively random bullshit.

Spectacle rock :argh:

the hint was SPECTACLE ROCK IS AN ENTRANCE TO DEATH, which isn't terribly helpful. There weren't many rocks on the map big enough to have an entrance though.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

TemporalParadox posted:

Spectacle rock :argh:

the hint was SPECTACLE ROCK IS AN ENTRANCE TO DEATH, which isn't terribly helpful. There weren't many rocks on the map big enough to have an entrance though.

That's it. I had a lot more patience to sit and figure things like that out when I was 10 and only got 1 or 2 games a year. I also remember making my own maps with graph paper for a lot of games back then so I enjoy it when the staff helps Arino figure out a plan of attack for difficult levels on the white board. :3:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

I guess they get sent scripts early, translate it, and slap it up just in time for release.

This isn't some thing where people blindly translate and time a script and then just throw it over an episode the moment it comes up on TV. When it comes to ongoing shows with simulcasts, the licensor is provided with both the episode and the script in advance of the air date, typically a few days to a week ahead of time, in order to have a reasonable time frame to work in. The result is usually a solid, professional quality translation that gets broadcast at the same time as the airing of the raw episode. There are some drawbacks to this, like the inability to see how certain terms work in following episodes when you can only watch one episode at a time, but overall it's generally a much better product than a fansub with no access to real scripts could produce*.

*Unless the script is taken straight out of the manga version that's already been out for weeks or longer, in which case it's an even playing field and the only thing that's guaranteed to put the official sub on top is the official sub's lack of god awful subtitle effects.

Of course, none of this applies to Game Center CX, which is an entirely different category of show that typically does not provide scripts to licensors at all. Zari-gani got the rare exception to that rule.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Hokuto posted:

Of course, none of this applies to Game Center CX, which is an entirely different category of show that typically does not provide scripts to licensors at all. Zari-gani got the rare exception to that rule.

It's unconfirmed but likely that Vitac was working (only) from GCCX's transcripts, as well as zari. So I don't think we necessarily know the rule *or* the exception.

rdbbb fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 19, 2013

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I used the word typically in this case because I've done some work on live action game shows and such in the past. It's extremely unlikely that anyone translating a show of this nature, or any nature, would only be given a script and not the actual episode. For one thing, these scripts don't exactly carry accurate line-by-line time codes. For another, in professional work, translators are typically expected to time these things themselves, as shown in the above-quoted jobs listing at Crunchyroll. It's not just Crunchyroll that requires that.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Retro Game Master USA just got over 2000 likes. Message from Arino is imminent

bpc908 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 19, 2013

bdr9
Mar 19, 2013
^^ Edit: I was too slow

The Facebook page just reached 2000 likes! Now Arino is going to write another message for his overseas fans!

http://www.facebook.com/arinothekacho/posts/499731100085322

BuckFever
Aug 27, 2012
Ok wow I really need to use this site more. Big GCCX fan. Is there anywhere other than randomly searching Yahoo Japan where I can purchase the official plush dolls of the King, Queen, and Prince? If anybody has one they're willing to part with please let me know.

Also Arino's comment will come in a few days on the Facebook page.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

BuckFever posted:

Ok wow I really need to use this site more. Big GCCX fan. Is there anywhere other than randomly searching Yahoo Japan where I can purchase the official plush dolls of the King, Queen, and Prince? If anybody has one they're willing to part with please let me know.

Nope unless you get lucky on those import stores online

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

http://www.facebook.com/questions/499742206750878/?qa_ref=ssp
Seems to be poll up for who we want to leave a comment on the Page. We need a message from Cameraman Abe.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Jack the votes, I don't have a facebook!

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
Already voted for Abe. He's probably the only non-Arino staff to have any ghost of a chance (besides maybe Inoko MAX).

bdr9
Mar 19, 2013
I think it would be interesting to see what Kibe has to say to us, considering that we suspect he knows about the fansubbing effort.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Let's just buy them all accounts here, I'm sure they'd enjoy this thread through a machine translator.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

BuckFever posted:

Also Arino's comment will come in a few days on the Facebook page.

When I'm dead you can have my autographed prince.

(Disclaimer: Not a binding promise. Offer void in MI, IL, ND)

BuckFever
Aug 27, 2012

rdbbb posted:

When I'm dead you can have my autographed prince.

(Disclaimer: Not a binding promise. Offer void in MI, IL, ND)

Oh wow, I'm jealous! Do you have a pic? I'd love to see it.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Anyone know where I can find this http://www.geekstuff4u.com/exclusive-nes-controller-player-2-card-case-sale.html#.UUfe5xxvNAP
I was going to buy it when I got my paycheck but some dick snatched it up before I could get it.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

BuckFever posted:

Oh wow, I'm jealous! Do you have a pic? I'd love to see it.

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013
I put in my vote for Abe. Hopefully, Abe and Arino tie, then they'll have to have both of them respond, right?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

One of the best replies I've ever seen.

I've got a Queen plush thanks to Leather Fedora. Now we just need one of us to get a King plush.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Those lucky people who got to Meet Arino, I wish I had known about GCCX before that meet up

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
To anyone who managed out a comment about me saying to be happy that anything in the US is moving forward because you're NOT HERE :

Retro Game Master Official posted:

Yuko here again. I have many inquiries, so I would have to make it clear to you all that the rights are currently cleared for USA only whatever the rights are DVD, VOD or TV, etc. Other territories are 100% relying on the success of US distribution to convince game companies who owns the rights of games used in the show. Let's keep it going!

I'm glad we could settle that, thanks.

TemporalParadox
Dec 21, 2003

*~blush~*

Caitlin posted:

To anyone who managed out a comment about me saying to be happy that anything in the US is moving forward because you're NOT HERE :

I don't know if it's the way you phrased that but it sounds kind of passive aggressive. Anything in the US is moving forward. It's an international release to a streaming service outside of japan. That's a big step forward for them, whether people outside of the states can watch it yet or not. I'm in Canada myself so it's a bit unfortunate, but I'm pretty happy for them. I never expected to see something like this happen when I first found out about the show here.

In that case, hopefully it is netflix, as that's probably one of the easiest streaming services to run through a proxy.

TemporalParadox fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 19, 2013

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

:iceburn:

Caitlin posted:

Wow, good job. Maybe we can now stop fighting about stupid poo poo ITT?

---

I also voted for Abe on that poll. Why? Because I think he deserves reaffirmation of the western audience's infatuation with him that first showed itself at the LA poster reveal.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

You'd think in the WhizzBang space year of 2013 we'd have gotten past this sort of nonsense already and me with my British monies could purchase and consume the media I'd want in a reasonable time frame but I guess that is just a fantasy on the level of preteen 90's me anxiously awaiting the arrival of commercial jetpacks. :doh:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Let's just hope this poo poo gets put on the home screen of every American fool's 360 and PS3. That's what GCCX needs to get the DVD sale and international success snowball going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

ACID POLICE posted:

Let's just hope this poo poo gets put on the home screen of every American fool's 360 and PS3. That's what GCCX needs to get the DVD sale and international success snowball going

This reminded me of checking out the Amazon Best Sellers list. The Kacho is #10. I think that's still pretty high for a niche show.