Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Jeek posted:

Orenronen, since Slowbeef doesn't consider a compilation of DR0 updates to be :filez:, I would like to put them together in a PDF (with password and set private) such that others can read it with ease. Are you okay with it?

Once the first volume in done (which is pretty soon), I'll probably assemble a PDF/epub version myself, including some more edits and tweaks to the text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

orenronen posted:

Once the first volume in done (which is pretty soon), I'll probably assemble a PDF/epub version myself, including some more edits and tweaks to the text.

How many volumes are there?

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

orenronen posted:

I'm curious, how many volumes is DR0 split up into? And as someone with very little knowledge of Japan, is is common for light novels to be broken up into different volumes?

e: Beaten to the first question, second still stands though

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

All I have to contribute at this point, is: If you can't handle being made fun of, you are on the wrong forum, and perhaps even on the wrong global network of computers.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

There are two volumes of the light novel for Dangan Ronpa, if I recall correctly. And in answer to the second question, most light novels span over a number of volumes.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So just wanting to make sure I'm on track with everything, the two most likely culprits right now are Nagito and Hanamura, correct? Is there a remote chance of Kuzuryuu being the murderer still, or is that pretty much gone?

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.

TheKingofSprings posted:

So just wanting to make sure I'm on track with everything, the two most likely culprits right now are Nagito and Hanamura, correct? Is there a remote chance of Kuzuryuu being the murderer still, or is that pretty much gone?

Nanami's testimony essentially gives Kuzuryuu a rock-solid alibi.

Forsooth
Nov 11, 2009

Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Ditocoaf posted:

All I have to contribute at this point, is: If you can't handle being made fun of, you are on the wrong forum, and perhaps even on the wrong global network of computers.

Very good point. I concede to your wisdom and will quietly drink my beer in peace. After discussing the topic at hand.

In regards to the light novel, I am more curious as to how it is actually arranged. There seems to be a lot of back-and-forth dialogue that works ok when transcribed on a forum, but it seems like it would leave a whole lot of white space in a published work. You mentioned it was a lot smoother in Japanese. Does that apply to the actual composition?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Brannock posted:

Nobody loving cares and it's frankly offensive that you find the need to prattle on and on about someone making fun of patently stupid bullshit. Do you even venture outside LP on this loving forum? Do you know what Something Awful is?

God the whining in the last few pages have been loving awful to read. Bad things are funny. Awful things are funnier. Making fun of those things helps it be funnier. We read an entertaining translation of a video game and we laugh at awful obsessive bullshit about this video game. That's the entire loving point.

AGREED.

Are you fuckers really whining about effort full contributions in one of the least effort-fully posted thread on SA? While people feel the need to post in here like this is their personal LP facebook or something? Ridiculous.

This thread has officially passed the limit of what can be dealt with in normal terms. This is chronically awful. So I am going to be taking solutions of comparable magnitude.

Report all posts that even slightly cross the line. If you do not wish to take a ride on the :cb: I highly suggest you post well and effortfully and not be a weirdo creep. Here's a good guide for not being a weirdo creep: you are not an anime and we have standards. That's it! Really simple! I mod the goddamn anime subforum, all you have to do is keep above my threshold of "this is pretty loving weird." Keep this in mind while going ahead.

Or don't!

Zorak fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 19, 2013

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

NeuroticLich posted:

I'm curious, how many volumes is DR0 split up into? And as someone with very little knowledge of Japan, is is common for light novels to be broken up into different volumes?

This is less "volumes" and more that the novel is split into two, as many paperback books in Japan are. It's still a single book with a definitive beginning and ending that doesn't leave much room for a sequel.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Also, posting about posting is a disease and I would like to just throw that out there going forward.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Zorak posted:

Also, posting about posting is a disease and I would like to just throw that out there going forward.

5/5 good post

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

trias_e
Nov 4, 2011

slowbeef posted:

Enough retread theories! VoidBurger and I collaborated on a screenshot Retsupurae.

Let's Play the fan roleplay game: Super Dangan Ronpa: Dead End!

If anyone else made this post they would be banned into oblivion for good reason, because it's loving terrible and distracting.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

trias_e posted:

If anyone else made this post they would be banned into oblivion for good reason, because it's loving terrible and distracting. Banning people for posting worthless poo poo is great, but then you go and post the most worthless poo poo I've read in this thread up to this point. Goddammit.

I think you've mixed up "worthless poo poo" and "actual effortful posting". The former includes things like mindless speculation, chatter, and 80% of this thread's posts.

EDIT: It also includes posting about posting, yeah. I am currently being part of the problem, I'll stop now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Getting back on topic, I'd like to apologize if someone brought this up earlier (I've been skimming the last few bits of speculation, I admit), but the knife bugs me. One theory people have brought up is that it was left there in preparation for murder, and that Togami was moving to intercept the would-be murderer during the blackout, but that seems to be contradictory.

In essence, the problem I'm seeing is that it clearly takes a great deal of preparation and foresight to set up the whole deal with the knife, the glow-in-the-dark paint, and the blackout. But once you GET the knife, what the heck are you going to do with it? You're effectively blind and waving around what may be the only thing giving off light in a dark room. You're not really going to successfully murder someone groping around in the dark hoping you'll run across someone in just the right way to kill them quietly without them making a peep or getting blood all over you or hiding the murder weapon later. You could hide the knife on you in preparation for silent murder later, but when the lights come back on you're going to have a tough time catching someone alone while giving yourself a decent alibi, and you'd need to engineer everything on the fly, trusting heavily to chance. The haphazard nature of the second half of the plan just doesn't jive with the consideration given to the first half of the plan. As such, I'm not really satisfied with the "the knife was left there for the purpose of murders" explanation.

I don't really see any other good explanations for the knife, though. The closest I can get is the "knife as Togami lure" theory, but that seems pretty flimsy as well in its own way - similar reliance on pure chance to succeed. Did I miss any speculation that provides a better answer?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

trias_e posted:

If anyone else made this post they would be banned into oblivion for good reason, because it's loving terrible and distracting.

You're full of crap and that's why you edited out most of what you said.

Guys, I'm sorry, even if you didn't like our post, it really was the kind of thing I'd like to see more of in this thread. Even if you don't succeed, you're meant to give a loving poo poo and read previous posts. Now read Tomn's posts.

Dragoon Cody
Aug 3, 2011

It's time to make the moon fall.
This was my first time trying the subtitled videos instead of the text and I have to say it adds a lot to be able to hear the voices and see the little animations. People should give it a go if they haven't yet.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Dragoon Cody posted:

This was my first time trying the subtitled videos instead of the text and I have to say it adds a lot to be able to hear the voices and see the little animations. People should give it a go if they haven't yet.

This would especially be the case for the second game. It's so much more stylish than the first one.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Tomn posted:

Getting back on topic, I'd like to apologize if someone brought this up earlier (I've been skimming the last few bits of speculation, I admit), but the knife bugs me. One theory people have brought up is that it was left there in preparation for murder, and that Togami was moving to intercept the would-be murderer during the blackout, but that seems to be contradictory.

In essence, the problem I'm seeing is that it clearly takes a great deal of preparation and foresight to set up the whole deal with the knife, the glow-in-the-dark paint, and the blackout. But once you GET the knife, what the heck are you going to do with it? You're effectively blind and waving around what may be the only thing giving off light in a dark room. You're not really going to successfully murder someone groping around in the dark hoping you'll run across someone in just the right way to kill them quietly without them making a peep or getting blood all over you or hiding the murder weapon later. You could hide the knife on you in preparation for silent murder later, but when the lights come back on you're going to have a tough time catching someone alone while giving yourself a decent alibi, and you'd need to engineer everything on the fly, trusting heavily to chance. The haphazard nature of the second half of the plan just doesn't jive with the consideration given to the first half of the plan. As such, I'm not really satisfied with the "the knife was left there for the purpose of murders" explanation.

I don't really see any other good explanations for the knife, though. The closest I can get is the "knife as Togami lure" theory, but that seems pretty flimsy as well in its own way - similar reliance on pure chance to succeed. Did I miss any speculation that provides a better answer?

This is actually a good question that I haven't been thinking about because I was more focused on the actually killing not on the would-be murderer.

Ok I will go with a theory that tries to explain that. Oh and I'm gonna base this theory on the fact that Nagito sent the warning letter and had a pretty good idea off Togami's character to know that he would prepare something like a party, and that in turn would also explain why he had those sticks ready to decide who would go clean the cabin.

Ok so my theory is what if Nagito knew that Togami, being the guy that he is, would have night vision goggles and would see him go get the knife and go after him to under the table? Maybe Nagito didn't expect Togami to be so fast (I think Saionji mentions in a previous update that Togami for a fat guy is fast) and he thought he would be able to go under the table grab the knife, and as soon as he saw someone go under the table, he would stab.

I mean Nagito was right next to the table when the lights went out so he only had to turn around, go under the table and get the knife. While Togami had to open the case in the dark and put the googles on and run to the table that was on the other side of his position. That's a lot to do.

Maybe something distracted Nagito, or he just was nervous, but things didn't go to plan and Togami got to him before he was able to get the knife.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

slowbeef posted:

You're full of crap and that's why you edited out most of what you said.

Guys, I'm sorry, even if you didn't like our post, it really was the kind of thing I'd like to see more of in this thread. Even if you don't succeed, you're meant to give a loving poo poo and read previous posts. Now read Tomn's posts.

I hope you/void burger continue doing them. Not only because I found them funny but because I believe they'll directly contribute to certain types of people being pruned from this thread!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tomn posted:

That sounds about right.

Just for a long shot, could Hanamura and Nagito have been working together? The whole crux of the issue is what would lure Togami, so if you had something like Nagito crawling under the table to lure him there, you've solved how Togami got came to be where he was. From below, Hanamura might use the glow from the luminous strip to work his way to where the knife is (not necessarily shining down through the cracks, but more like "I know it's here somewhere... AHA" while looking up through the gaps from below) and wait. Togami follows Nagito under the table, who's slipped out the opposite side of the tablecloth, and Togami sees the knife strapped to the underside of the table. Togami starts going "hey, a knife!" and pulls it off for a closer look, while Hanamura stabs him from below.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

IceBorg posted:

This is actually a good question that I haven't been thinking about because I was more focused on the actually killing not on the would-be murderer.

Ok I will go with a theory that tries to explain that. Oh and I'm gonna base this theory on the fact that Nagito sent the warning letter and had a pretty good idea off Togami's character to know that he would prepare something like a party, and that in turn would also explain why he had those sticks ready to decide who would go clean the cabin.

Ok so my theory is what if Nagito knew that Togami, being the guy that he is, would have night vision goggles and would see him go get the knife and go after him to under the table? Maybe Nagito didn't expect Togami to be so fast (I think Saionji mentions in a previous update that Togami for a fat guy is fast) and he thought he would be able to go under the table grab the knife, and as soon as he saw someone go under the table, he would stab.

I mean Nagito was right next to the table when the lights went out so he only had to turn around, go under the table and get the knife. While Togami had to open the case in the dark and put the googles on and run to the table that was on the other side of his position. That's a lot to do.

Maybe something distracted Nagito, or he just was nervous, but things didn't go to plan and Togami got to him before he was able to get the knife.

I dunno, that seems crazy convoluted and not really much more reliable than the "grab a knife and attack the darkness" plan. You're relying on Togami to react in PRECISELY the right way at PRECISELY the right time for you to successfully pull off a secret stab, at close range, under a table, while he has night vision and you don't, without raising a giant ruckus.

For that matter, why is anyone assuming that Togami would automatically recognize someone diving under the table as trying to grab a knife? The knife was taped to the underside of the table and last I checked, no form of night vision grants you x-ray vision as well. Wouldn't it seem likely, from his perspective, that anyone trying to crawl under a table is just a big ol' 'fraidy cat who wants to hide?

I dunno, man, I think you're kinda reaching in an attempt to push a "Nagito was trying to murder" theory.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tomn posted:

For that matter, why is anyone assuming that Togami would automatically recognize someone diving under the table as trying to grab a knife? The knife was taped to the underside of the table and last I checked, no form of night vision grants you x-ray vision as well. Wouldn't it seem likely, from his perspective, that anyone trying to crawl under a table is just a big ol' 'fraidy cat who wants to hide?

You forget that Togami's really paranoid about the whole evening because of the letter. He's been jumping at everything even remotely suspicious since the start of the party, so someone crawling under a table while everyone else is standing around going "Hey, what's happening?!" is likely to set off some alarms in his head.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

EchoPrima posted:

Hey Voidburger is this what you had in mind for your SHSL Rebel?

So basically Ibuki?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You forget that Togami's really paranoid about the whole evening because of the letter. He's been jumping at everything even remotely suspicious since the start of the party, so someone crawling under a table while everyone else is standing around going "Hey, what's happening?!" is likely to set off some alarms in his head.

Maybe, but even so any plans that rely on Togami reacting in EXACTLY the right way seems a touch unreliable. Look at it from the would-be murderer's perspective.

Assuming the whole point was "slide under the table, lure Togami," that means that the would-be murderer successfully predicted:

- That Togami would become paranoid as all hell due to a warning letter

- That Togami would throw a party in the lodge

- That Togami would go nuts checking for weapons but WOULDN'T check under tables

- That Togami would bring night-vision goggles

- That Togami would put on those night-vision goggles in time to see the lure

- That Togami would react to the lure by charging directly at it instead of, for instance, yelling "Hey, [murderer name], what are you doing?" or grabbing a taser/nightstick.

- That Togami would not survive the first blow once he crawled under the table, or at least would make a minimum of noise and struggle while dying.

If any one of these predictions went wrong, the murder would either not go off or would end up implicating the murderer directly afterwards. Seems more than a little bit risky and uncertain, doesn't it? On the part of the murderer, it just seems way too loose a plan.

Maybe we're going about the question of the knife the wrong way. Instead, how about this - given the evidence available, and making no assumptions about who is guilty (it's the chef) or what their motives were, what would make Togami decide to crawl under the fatal table?

Tomn fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 19, 2013

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

IceBorg posted:

Maybe everything went exactly as planned. Maybe he lured Togami under the table exactly as planned and then someone else did the deed, also exactly as planned, and now that someone will get their stupid rear end killed in the trial, also exactly as planned. Togami is a gigantic obstacle for pretty much anyone, for pretty much anything, after all. And all we know about Nagito thus far is that he doesn't look enough like Naegi to actually be him, that he has a copycat name, the same SHSL skill, a more pessimistic personality, and he occasionally goes on about hope in exactly the kind of way that someone who doesn't understand hope would do if they'd seen someone else do it, with no guiding intelligence to analyze why they're full of poo poo. Frankly, everything about Nagito suggests he knows about the events of the first game and also gives me the kind of creeper vibe that makes me think he's the kind of person who would make a suit out of human skin in an on-going quest to look more like Naegi. Basically, he reminds me of the villain of Scream 4. Monobear said there was a mole on the island, and the finger of my accusation points at Nagito.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Tomn posted:

This hasn't actually been addressed in great detail, mostly because everything we could say about what a murder plan involving the knife could be is conjectural. It doesn't really matter, though, because it's enough to deduce that someone planted it and that they went for it; it's just plain inscrutable what their intentions might have been. Despite this, I'm going to indulge in some semi-blind speculation; more meta than I'd like, but I don't think I'm making any totally baseless leaps. That said, big stupid theory time:

The problems you've pointed out are strange enough that I'm wondering whether the person responsible for the knife was intending to kill someone at all. It's most plausible to me that the person that planted the knife is the same person who sent the threatening letter to Togami, but it's again weird that someone planning a murder would deliberately provoke someone into creating such a high-security scenario. If this person had murder and escape from the island as their sole motive, they would not have acted in the way that they did- rather, they would have behaved such that no one's suspicions would be particularly heightened and taken advantage of the relatively relaxed environment

This puts us in a sticky situation; I think the only line of attack that's available that's not a total shot in the dark is Monobear's motive speech. Everyone's been mind-wiped and one of them is a "traitor" non-classmate. This seems to be an information based motive; to treat it as something actionable is to make a plan to try to learn something. The knowledge being aimed at is who is the traitor and what the contents of the deleted memories might be. You could learn this by killing someone, getting away with it, and being rewarded by Monobear, but this is a very high risk course of action. But, there is a student who already has a plausible lead on who might be the traitor: Nagito claims to have done thorough research into his classmates before coming to Hope's Peak and has been claiming he remembers what he read from the start. Therefore, it's plausible that Nagito would realize that there is such a person as Byakuya Togami at Hope's Peak, but this person isn't a member of the class: Togami is the "traitor". Furthermore, Togami hasn't been forthcoming about very much information about anything and has been behaving like he knows more than he's letting on; if he's the traitor, it would be plausible that he'd know about the memory deletions.

So, say you're Nagito and you think Togami knows something that you want to learn, but he's not talking. What are your options? How about forcibly coerce it out of him? Send him a death threat so he heightens security and removes as many weapons as possible (this would actually make it harder for him to defend himself), but plant a weapon in the secure area; let the some of the other students know about your plan and have them help subdue him, then torture him with your planted weapon. For all his preparedness, Togami was prepared to take down a single killer; he would be at the mercy of a crowd. Since murder isn't the end result of this crime and everyone involved would benefit, collaboration isn't something we can dismiss; Sonia, Nidai, and Hanamura whispering to each other in an earlier update could be evidence of a conspiracy under this theory. As this plan would require co-conspirators to subdue Togami, it gives plenty of opportunity for someone to plan to betray whomever is going to go for the knife during the blackout. Cue Hanamura under the floorboards with the skewer explanations.

Anywhoo, there's a fuckton of very long guesswork for you. Anyone want to poke holes in it?

tl;dr version- maybe the knife culprit never intended to kill anyone, but rather interrogate someone for information related to Monobear's motive, so let others in on his plan to help; then, one of the collaborators betrayed the group and tried to kill the knife culprit, but ended up hitting Togami instead.

fake edit: christ I spent way longer typing this up than I thought I would. Tons of posts happened since I started.

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 19, 2013

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Tomn posted:

The "Nagito set up the blackout and the knife, but Hanamura is the culprit" theory fits all the evidence, but it is a major sticking point that Nagito's motives for taking the actions he must for the theory to work are utterly insane. It's a lot of effort and the payoff for Nagito is not immediately obvious even if everything goes perfectly. This isn't the first time Dangan Ronpa has pulled a trick like this (Togami's corpse-moving shenanigans didn't really have a good motive either), but I'm really struggling to see what Nagito was trying to accomplish in this theory even if I know it's probably what happened. He can't have been working with Hanamura because there's no benefit for the accomplice in this system. Contrary to my previous theory, he really can't have been trying to murder somebody because there are so many possible points of failure (he might not get the knife quickly enough, he might not be able to find anyone in the dark, he might hit someone like Nidai or Pekoyama who would destroy him knife-in-the-dark or no, he might get everything perfectly and still be covered in blood when the lights came back on, etc). Hanamura can't have been the one to plan everything because there's no way for him to draw attention to the knife if he's underneath the floor.

A thought has occurred to me. Nagito might have set up the blackout as a "trust exercise" and the knife as his personal safety. "Even if given the perfect opportunity, none of us would seriously kill another student and I can prove it! But just in case I'm going to hide under the table with a knife so if someone is a murderer they won't be killing me." ... That really isn't much better than every other mad theory getting thrown around, is it?

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Tomn posted:

- That Togami would become paranoid as all hell due to a warning letter

- That Togami would throw a party in the lodge

- That Togami would go nuts checking for weapons but WOULDN'T check under tables

- That Togami would bring night-vision goggles

- That Togami would put on those night-vision goggles in time to see the lure

- That Togami would react to the lure by charging directly at it instead of, for instance, yelling "Hey, [murderer name], what are you doing?" or grabbing a taser/nightstick.

- That Togami would not survive the first blow once he crawled under the table, or at least would make a minimum of noise and struggle while dying.

To be fair, if we're assuming the culprit wrote the letter the first point isn't a problem.

At that point it's safe to say the culprit wouldn't have predicted the party, but they had an entire day to plan their approach without suspicion from anyone.

If they then plan to knife someone during the party under cover of darkness there's no reason to assume Togami was the initial target or that the culprit knew he'd have night vision goggles. It's possible they could have checked the store for anything missing but that would be pushing it. It would be easier to simply gank the nearest person and ruin Togami's credibility as a leader by having a murder occur on his watch.

In fact it's probably safe to say the night vision goggles were a surprise and the culprit had to improvise. There's a bit they could've planned ahead - hiding the knife at the scene then going through the door checkpoint later to avert suspicion would probably be the most practical way to have it on hand, but appear innocent at a glance. The person wouldn't have had to know Togami, they could even slip it in after he checked the furniture, but before the party (not that he did check it as far as we know, but you get the idea).

On the other hand, let's say Togami put on the goggles, turned to see the killer reaching under the table and ran over to investigate. He ducks under to see what the problem is at which point the culprit panics and stabs him. That doesn't explain why Togami didn't shout their name, but then that wasn't a planned thing so they lucked out. They could also have thrown on the (not yet bloodied) sheet to obscure their identity but that's kind of complicating the timeline here.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

dragonsroar posted:

I'm sorry if you find it badly written/obsessive/ect, I have no plan on stopping and I'm probably going to see this through until the other members get tired.

No one wants you to stop it. And I don't mean that as in "DON'T STOP OH MY SIDES ARE SPLITTING FROM SO MUCH LAUGHTER"; it's fun to mock others, but no one wants you to shut down your project or ruin your fun. Yes, the jokes are at your expense, but it's all light-hearted jabs, and I don't think any of it is meant to personally hurt you or your players. In fact, this project takes a pretty high level of skill to plan and execute. Seriously, I think that most of us wish success for you (although I also hope to see more riffs of your RP)

Anyway, now that you're here, there are a lot of great threads floating around in this subforum, and a lot of other great subforums as well! You should check some of those out. Just stay out of FYAD and GBS and you'll be fine.

Tomn posted:

That's the only part of the case that's still bugging me. I think that the "knife as Togami lure" makes even less sense than "knife as Togami's hidden weapon"; even if you're in the dark, you could presumably feel your way to the nearest person and try to kill them. A literal stab in the back would not produce much blood, and it would be easy to pull off with just the tiniest bit of luck (!)

Pyradox posted:

On the other hand, let's say Togami put on the goggles, turned to see the killer reaching under the table and ran over to investigate. He ducks under to see what the problem is at which point the culprit panics and stabs him. That doesn't explain why Togami didn't shout their name, but then that wasn't a planned thing so they lucked out. They could also have thrown on the (not yet bloodied) sheet to obscure their identity but that's kind of complicating the timeline here.

You're confusing both time and space. The bloody sheet was never in the party room. The culprit would have had to sprint out of the room, through the fire door, into the storage room to drop off the sheet, and back into the party room all while the entire lodge was pitch black. The bloody sheet is another piece of evidence pointing toward the killer not being in the room before+during the blackout (IE the floorboard theory).

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Honestly, the glow-in-dark paint is bugging me to no end. If you are a murderer, you want to (a) keep your concealed weapon concealed and (b) make sure that nobody notice your murdery action. Why would you want to make your weapon perfectly visible to everyone and traceable to you?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Jeek posted:

Honestly, the glow-in-dark paint is bugging me to no end. If you are a murderer, you want to (a) keep your concealed weapon concealed and (b) make sure that nobody notice your murdery action. Why would you want to make your weapon perfectly visible to everyone and traceable to you?

It was on the underside of a table though, which was covered by a table cloth. It's doubtful that anyone could actually see through that, glow-in-the-dark paint or not.

Alto
Dec 27, 2012

Not A Saxophone
I kinda wish we knew when Togami got those supplies.

I mean, you could assume he got them when he received the threat, but it's also possible he got them right before the party, or after Nagito visited the market.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Alto posted:

I kinda wish we knew when Togami got those supplies.

I mean, you could assume he got them when he received the threat, but it's also possible he got them right before the party, or after Nagito visited the market.

I'm just wondering, how would knowing this info help paint our understanding of how Togami ended up stabbed underneath a table?

Alto
Dec 27, 2012

Not A Saxophone

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm just wondering, how would knowing this info help paint our understanding of how Togami ended up stabbed underneath a table?

I'm sorry, I posted that at the wrong time.

Ignore and continue, please.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
It's a couple hundred posts late, but I wanted to thank HelloWinter, the subtitles are looking better.

Not much else to say about the update that hasn't already been said. I really like how Nanami doesn't say much but every time she speaks it's like she had already figured everything out and is just giving hints.

Well, this is a game so I wouldn't be surprised.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What I'm wondering is if there's ever going to be a phase that combines blue agreement points and normal yellow points. Ir would that be too much to keep track of?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I like that the ones raising the objections and questioning things are those who were clearly not in a position to find out. Kuzyryuu wasn't in the lodge, so he wouldn't have seen Peko get her plate of food, and Nidai was in the crapper and may not have had much time to investigate things like the AC unit.

Waffleman_ posted:

What I'm wondering is if there's ever going to be a phase that combines blue agreement points and normal yellow points. Ir would that be too much to keep track of?

I think it's quite likely that there will be a time when you have both on screen at once and have to figure out what to do. Note the bolded line:

Tutorial posted:

In this next discussion, we introduce Blue Weak Points.
Up until now, the weak points that appeared before you indicated where you could prove a claim wrong...
These Blue Weak Points, on the other hand, indicate where you can prove it right.
Hitting these Agreement Points with an Evidence Bullet may require that you reverse the way you thought so far.
You are not trying to destroy an opponent's lie or inconsistency...
...But rather to prove, with an Evidence Bullet, that what they are saying is correct.
Shoot an Agreement Point with an Evidence Bullet to make them work in unison and reveal the truth!
...Please ignore the fact that the metaphor does not work.
Whether a given discussion calls for refutation or corroboration is up to you to reason out.
You may press the START button at any time to view an explanation of the controls.
The rest is up to you... We wish you luck.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 19, 2013

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So... does that mean no more RP RP then? :saddowns: Guys, poo poo like this is why we can't have mock threads anymore. The Internet is silly. Your hobbies are silly. Stop taking them so drat seriously and laugh at dorks, dorks.

QuarkJets posted:

That's the only part of the case that's still bugging me. I think that the "knife as Togami lure" makes even less sense than "knife as Togami's hidden weapon"; even if you're in the dark, you could presumably feel your way to the nearest person and try to kill them. A literal stab in the back would not produce much blood, and it would be easy to pull off with just the tiniest bit of luck (!)

Y'know, this is a really good point. Why would anyone who figured out this elaborate plan to plunge the party into darkness also put themselves through all the pain and effort of stabbing somebody through the floor when they could just stab them regular style? The blackout was probably enough. I'm not saying this means the through-the-floor thing didn't happen (because it's being foreshadowed enough that it probably did), just that it was unnecessarily complicated. Maybe it is two overlapping-but-unrelated murder attempts, but that seems like a little much for Case Number One.

My money's still on Nagito -- he was assisting with the investigation, yeah, but only in a superficial way, and the dude was acting shifty as hell the whole time; also he had plenty of time in the cabin with nobody watching him to set up the power outage. If this were near the end of the previous game I'd call that a probable red herring, but again it's the first goddamn case so maybe the cigar is just a cigar here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

LateToTheParty posted:

:argh: drat you Slowbeef and VoidBurger! I was going to make make fun of this stupid fan thing. Ah gently caress it you guys would probably do a better riffing this "thing" than me. I'm also really busy anyway since I have tons of coursework right now. Anyway Slowbeef and VoidBurger godspeed into the abyss of despair known as Tumblr.

I guess you could say....

you were Late To The Party. :c00lbert:

NextTime000 fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 19, 2013

• Locked thread