Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I got to pet a Shiba Inu! It was so soft. For some reason I expected them to have a rough outer coat, but he was almost downy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Pretty much all primitive breeds feel just like a stuffed toy. That's why we put up with their assholishness.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pile of Kittens posted:

I got to pet a Shiba Inu!

I can't help but read this as ":neckbeard: Yaaaay!!!!" which makes it adorable :3:

They're all super soft until they shed, then they feel all weird and pointy for a while.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Just as a heads up, EVO, Innova, California Naturals, and Healthwise recall.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

There have been way too many recalls of decent dog food lately :sigh: is it that whole "Chinese chicken" scare I keep hearing about?

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Vecna had his second Schutzhund eval. The club director and evaluator said he has a wonderful temperment, which was super awesome to hear, but I feel super conflicted about the club. At face value it seems perfect: no correction collars or positive punishment, warning me about how Schutzhund trainers tend to be some of the most abusive trainers out there, happy, confident dogs, only 2 miles from my house, etc. On the other hand, the club members directed all dog-related conversations towards my husband and mostly ignored me even though I'm the handler and was the one who'd been talking to them via email. Tracking seemed like a complete afterthought and barely any time is spent on it. Everyone just dicks around when someone else is on the field rather than watching, learning, and critiquing each other. When it was my turn to get on the field, there was no instruction or assistance whatsoever even though we'd talked about the fact that I'm totally inexperienced. I dunno, it seems more like a club for experience SchH trainers who want to learn about clickers than a club for SchH noobs who want to learn the sport.

I think the other club would be a lot better for us even though they're super into prong collars. Bummer though 'cause it's an hour away.

Vecna however cares not for the moral conflicts of humans and just wants to scream and bite poo poo.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
I just started working as the social media/adoption coordinator for a dog rescue/daycare/boutique place and my job means I spend like an hour doing computer stuff and then am on the floor with the dogs or helping customers. So today was my re-introduction to daycare work, after nearly four years of being away from it, and I am not loving okay with how anything smells right now.

Tons of cute dogs, including a sweet giant shep mix who was missing his owner and really needed to cling to me and be told what to do, and a Texas Blue Lacey, of all random things, who was actually sane and sensible and enjoyed spingpolin' with a pit/heeler mix. We do interactive games and workouts on the floor, which is great and actually seems to be reducing barking/fights, as opposed to my old daycare which would be appalled at 'creating an atmosphere of competition which could lead to a fight gaaaasp'. I made this little pit/heeler just hang on the springpole for like an hour; she was in love with me by the end of it because There Was a Thing and You Let Me Pull It. She seems insane, I have no idea why someone would want a dog like that, but she listened so well that I ended up liking her despite myself. :3:

Speaking of pit mixes, though, there was a pit-lab dude who a) should not be brought back and b) made me want to ram my fist down his loving throat with how needy, clingy, and in-your-face he was. Would not leave me alone, body-blocked the poor sweet shepherd (who was being a saint) and whined incessantly, despite my obvious hatred.

The Worst Mix.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I realised today I have never petted a primitive breed dog.

Now I feel sad.

e: wait no i lie i once petted a husky/mal that was on gross food and felt pretty gross :saddowns:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Yeah, that's the worst feeling. Because they have such thick, plush coats, if they are fed crap it's like petting a dirty dish scrubber. :( I got to pet the goofiest looking chow this weekend who was shaved and he just felt like someone rubbed him down with bacon grease.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
At the dog show the other day I got to pet a bedlington terrier. So. Soft. :stare:

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Citizen Rat posted:

Pretty much all primitive breeds feel just like a stuffed toy. That's why we put up with their assholishness.

I got to brush out a husky the other day, she was so nice and soft and downy and omg :kimchi:

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Artie feels like you're sinking your hands into thick cotton wool when you rub his coat, he hates being brushed though so it'll be a challenge keeping his coat nice unless i get him over the grooming issue.

He's just being a 9 week old puppy I know so i'm not angry at him - but he's been a little poo poo the last few days, his toilet training's regressed and he's poo'd a few times in the house (from Tuesday till Friday there had been no poo ) but it's coincided with his vaccinations done on Friday, and my girlfriend who he loves being home Saturday, Sunday and today. He also wee's in the garden but does little spots of wee in the house straight after doing a big wee in the garden. I'm worried his bell by the back door is being rung when he wants to go outside and not just when he needs to toilet - he's conditioning me haha

He responds fairly well to clicker training but not always as he isn't a food motivated dog which amazes me, annoyingly he's not all that motivated with praise either but we're making gentle progress. We taught him sit on his 2nd day here and he also waves too which is funny :3:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

No pictures of your adorable cloudpuppy? You cruel, cruel person. :v:

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

McDragon posted:

No pictures of your adorable cloudpuppy? You cruel, cruel person. :v:

Adorable cloudpuppy you say?

OK then here's him with his buddy

I need more photos, he's growing already - his ears are pricking up

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Why did I read the comments?

Oh god, I was so worried when P&G bought them that they monitor their plants and actually issue recalls instead of not doing monitoring this would happen!

Since it really only sounds like those brands, it also looks like they're the only ones using those production lines.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Fat Dio posted:

I got to brush out a husky the other day, she was so nice and soft and downy and omg :kimchi:

I always bring Buddy first thing in the morning for his vet appointments, and his old vet used to hug him and bury her face in his fur and ask if he could stay all day so they could take naps. :3:

I miss that vet. :(

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I put Vecna's blanket down on the couch because he was wet and apparently it's made of lava because he jumped over it and is now nestled comfortably behind the couch cushions.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah, I had my sound on mute at first and I was thinking those were dog's that were not having an okay time, then I unmuted my sound and I thought now I am a human who is not having a good time because this owner is being a dick in some manner.

uptown
May 16, 2009
Vecna is extremely gorgeous.

I love having my mom's Golden around. He loves to cuddle me, and Shanti loves to cuddle him, so we end up in a lovepile nearly every time I sit on the couch.

(Ignore my stupid face)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sadie just likes to rub it in that I have to work and her only responsibilities involve not having any:

Seriously how am I supposed to get my job done when that is happening right behind me?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

The link is not working for me :saddowns:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

WolfensteinBag posted:

I always bring Buddy first thing in the morning for his vet appointments, and his old vet used to hug him and bury her face in his fur and ask if he could stay all day so they could take naps. :3:

I miss that vet. :(

Vets who love your dog are always the best. Took Feldman in not too long ago, and when the receptionist asked me his name, I told her. From the back I heard "Feldman's here!" And the vet came out to give him lovin' :3:

It also helps that he trusts her for some reason. The last place we took him to, he actually used to snap at the vet.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

paisleyfox posted:

Yeah, that's the worst feeling. Because they have such thick, plush coats, if they are fed crap it's like petting a dirty dish scrubber. :( I got to pet the goofiest looking chow this weekend who was shaved and he just felt like someone rubbed him down with bacon grease.

I finally encountered a street cat here who was friendly, and he was just so oily, it was awful. I felt so bad for him, he was so pretty and sweet and rubbing on my legs and purring when I scratched his cheeks for him...I'm sure he eats nothing but a steady diet of food scraps from the dumpster and any rodents he can catch :( There was a second one that wanted to be petted but was a lot more skittish, I only got a few pats in on him.

It's a good thing I can't have animals in this apartment, because I would be coming home with a whole pack of cats.

The worst part is I know if I got them cleaned up and vaccinated, I could take them back to the States with me no problem. :smith:

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Greasecats are the saddest cats. There are a grimy cats like this on the way home except they are actually owned by people, they just get fed utter poo poo. About a month ago I went to visit my grandparents in their retirement village and there was this big black and white tom cat who decided to move in with a lonely old widow - she doted on him and could probably only afford the budgetest of budget brand food and he was the roundest, most greasiest ball of gross ever and left a layer of grime on my hand after I finished patting him.

At least he was getting reliable food from somewhere :saddowns:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I will say that the majority of the street cats seem to be doing alright for themselves. I've only seen a few with obvious health issues (mostly infected eyes), and they're not particularly skinny. Some of the older males have scars, probably from fighting. They look dirty, but not mangy or anything. I didn't notice any flea dirt on the one I was petting, and he had pretty clean ears. It probably helps that it gets insanely loving hot here in the summer, so there isn't a huge insect population.

I imagine it's a very hard life, but they appear to be managing.

I wish there was something I could do for them. I don't have a lot of time to offer, because I work ten hours a day, six days a week. We're very financially comfortable at the moment because of this contract that brought me here, so I could easily donate some money. I just can't find anyone doing work with the cats - there were a few people doing TNR and controlled feeding sites here, but their websites have all gone dead and none of them have any contact information where I might reach out and see if they're still operating. There's a local rescue group that's still active, but as far as I can tell they only work with dogs. I've seen a few stray dogs here, but it's nothing like the cat problem.

Guess I'm just a sucker.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Chido posted:

The link is not working for me :saddowns:

Does this work? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN8hobKMjR8

I had it linked as an embedded video, maybe that's why.

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.
Tom Sellack has found the only place in the house where he's safe from ambush.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Rodent Mortician posted:

My brains/heart just short-circuited and melted.
loving cats :) That's an amazingly cute picture hahah.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Just adopted a new pair of rabbits.

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

alucinor posted:

Something is wrong with those rabbits.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Yeah their gravity seems turned up too high. This is their default position.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Rodent Mortician posted:

Oh my god give me this cat

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
There are a couple of stray cats that live in our fabrication shop and they're pretty nice cats. Our shop foreman is a male catlady (seriously dude has like nine cats) and he made some little houses for the shop cats and sets out food and water ever day :3: Works out well for all of us, kitties get nice food and a house and they keep the rat population down. I think we're gonna take the lady cat to a no-kill though because we think she's pregnant. it's really sad how many strays and poorly cared for dogs are in the neighborhood. there are 15 dogs living on my street alone and the only ones who've ever left their yards are Vecna and this hilarious Malamute that lives down the street. It's not a good place to be a dog or cat.

(Crossposted from the GSD thread) holy balls Vecna has put on some muscle

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Pew! Pew! posted:

Does this work? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN8hobKMjR8

I had it linked as an embedded video, maybe that's why.

It still shows as error for some reason. What's the name of the video? Maybe I can find it that way :(.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
The title is "Kaiser and Kira Howling..who's louder? Siberian huskies howl singing?"

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Skizzles posted:

The title is "Kaiser and Kira Howling..who's louder? Siberian huskies howl singing?"

How funny, I can see the other videos in that channel, but that one in specific won't work. I guess I'll miss seeing this husky opera performance :(.

uptown
May 16, 2009

alucinor posted:

Give those dogs to me.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

^ Don't you have enough with the one dog you complain about constantly? :geno:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004