Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Speaking of Eclipse Phase videos: what is the most Eclipse Phase song? I nominate this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT-rBt0ZqyQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
I completely lost it at "Give me the child".

I need to put together an EP game. I'm thinking of calling the first session "Didn't you get the memo?", where the PCs find themselves unexpectedly caught in the middle of the worst terrorist action in Lunar history. I'll try to record it if I can put it together.

In other ideas...

I'm writing a module where Firewall taps alpha forks of the team into somewhere on the rim to do some light, but important courier work. They have to lay low for a while to get the package, wait for someone to arrive to inspect it, then take it somewhere. All the while keeping their heads down, but having to move something that will be difficult to hide.

Unknown to them, they were chosen for this mission because they have developed a reputation for royalty screwing up. As in "Broke a planet" levels of failure. Firewall is counting on them creating an unimaginable clusterfuck, because they are acting as bait.

Tainted drugs have been slipping into the local market lately. They give unussualy powerful highs but are tainted with various Titan nanites and at least one exurgent outbreak was traced back to tainted drugs. Someone is playing with Titan tech to create new pharmaceutical toys. Firewall has traced the bad supplies back to a major city near a known Titan impact site and quarantine zone. The PC's are set up as a honeypot to draw the drug cartel out of hiding. They are being watched by other Firewall agents at almost all times, and surveiled or tracked in one way or another constantly.

At some point, the PCs are ambushed by the cartel and end up caught in the middle of a firefight between the cartel and the other Firewall agents.
I don't know how yet, but this leads the team to an opperunity to track the cartel back to their base, interrogate one of their stacks or otherwise gain new intel for Firewall.
Intel like "They're actualy a cult of Titan Worshipers, trying to spread asynch powers throughout the population, in the belief that a high enough number or concentration of asynchs will call out to the Titans and they will return."

A DAAC situation just fell into the PCs laps, all they have to do is take advantage of it.

If the players succeed, they get a shitton of I-rep, and I have this image of a proxy facepalming over how they can't even succeed at failing.

I call it "Maximum Clownshoes Mode... Activate!"

Moto42 fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Nov 14, 2012

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
So, I managed to get a team of fresh-off-simulspace mostly normal folks indentured, sleeved in experimental plant/animal hybrid morphs, and thrown through a malfunctioning gate to Sunrise. The non-PC half of the colony supply convoy (including an NPC limb) was accidentally left behind when the Vulcaniod gate malfunctioned and closed sooner than expected.

How should I make their life interesting? I was thinking that the gate would just not open again -- but what then?

I've established the hell out of the basic setting, but the session ended before getting to the meat of any plot.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Once you feel you have a decent handle on who the characters are and can play them appropriately, have the PCs arrive again. :getin:

The option of them being resleeved backups is there, but I was picturing the entire debacle playing out again, including the NPC limb.

wzzard
Nov 11, 2012

Boy, you sure say "damn" a lot.

Hell yeah.
I've been working on a Powered by Apocalypse version of Eclipse Phase with the goal of not only stream lining play but reducing the setting down to where you can fit all of the setting info on a 2 sided sheet of paper. I want to keep parts of the setting very much up in the air so that players can fill in the blanks during play.

What I'm working on right now is dumping a lot of the no-brainer gear. For example there are no Flats because everyone should have Mesh inserts, basic biomods, and all that jazz and it's clearer and more condensed rules wise to just say that all players can access the Mesh to message each other and look up stuff, etc. instead of having gear entries for things most characters are going to have. The problem I'm having is deciding whether Eidetic Memory and Mnemonic Memory really have a place in the game. And I don't mean I want to take them out, I just think that they might as well be standard equipment like basic biomods. Maybe Biomorphs get Eidetic and Synthmorphs get Mnemonic.

Does that sound reasonable?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It's still a treat for players to have, so giving it to everyone is meh. I mean, if you live thousands of lives, being forgetful is thematically interesting.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I will be joining my first Eclipse Phase game on the 12th and I was looking for some help creating a character. The first idea that popped into my head was a Droideka (battle droid thing from the lesser Star Wars movies). A robot with big lasers and shields (if that is allowed), with an A.I. Maybe cross that with R2D2 (a robot that can hack computer systems).

I generally play big barbarian characters in fantasy RPGs, so I am looking for somewhat of a comparable role. I glanced over the handbook, but I am a bit intimidated on character creation. Any help would be appreciated.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I will be joining my first Eclipse Phase game on the 12th and I was looking for some help creating a character. The first idea that popped into my head was a Droideka (battle droid thing from the lesser Star Wars movies). A robot with big lasers and shields (if that is allowed), with an A.I. Maybe cross that with R2D2 (a robot that can hack computer systems).

I generally play big barbarian characters in fantasy RPGs, so I am looking for somewhat of a comparable role. I glanced over the handbook, but I am a bit intimidated on character creation. Any help would be appreciated.

Get the PDF for Sunward - there's a pregenerated character called Direct Action Mercenary - basically a big floating ball of machine gun death.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
While energy shields aren't a thing and kinetic arms beat lasers just about everytime, a reaper is totally the way to go. Take the AGI background and you can easily be a robutt death tank who is also an expert hacker.

Edit: if you don't mind spending the cash you can still go with sweet laser beams; just usr Plasmas. They are expensive, mind you!

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I really want to play a Reaper, but all of the Eclipse Phase games I have seen have not really fit the reaper lifestyle. And usually use some home-brewed variant for Morph selection/customization.

Kire
Aug 25, 2006
I also need help with a character:

I'm going to be a swarmanoid scavenger, with my Firefly-esque group in Earth orbit/Luna trying to sell some scrap on the grey market to get by. My character's a military AGI that was originally designed to repair satellites in orbit, but during the fall some crazy techno stuff happened and I achieved sentience. Now I work on hardware/software as a swarmanoid and use a pleasure pod when its time to "go into town" (visit Luna to sell our stuff). My swarm hides inside the pleasure pod in order to "pass" in normal synth-prejudiced society. (And yes I realize there are plenty of biases against a pleasure pod morph, that's part of the fun). The team's electronics/software guru by day, an AGI in a pleasure pod on Luna by night.

What kinds of hobbies would be good for this character? Art/Interests/Academics/etc. I'm drawing a blank beyond an electrical engineer who can slowly rebuild my swarm body one painstaking piece at a time (no access to reliable fabbers, and no blueprints for myself) and who pathologically LOVES taking apart and re-purposing satellites/derelict junk.

Kire fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 5, 2013

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Tabletop wargaming. All your swarmbots dress up as little soldiers and reenact historic battles.

Edit: Two forks take command of the armies and you watch from high above like in the old days.

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 5, 2013

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Historical Memetics. You could actually pull the 'Centipedes? In my vagina?' trick.

It would be a hit on scum swarms, less so in polite Lunar society.

Now I'm picturing a pleasure pod wearing a monocle and top hat, explaining to a small dinner party group that the facial expression used in the latest Direct Action ad is clearly a callback to Happycat, seeking to instill a sense of 'I can has violence?' in the consumer.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Trip Report!

Ran my first game of Eclipse Phase last night! MadScientistWorking, Talkc, and theDemon were contacted by the proxies and made to investigate after ever agi in Luna disappearing, only to find that they had been Basilisk hacked into turning themselves into a gate by some cray Lost dude (also MSW got his poo poo kicked in by an octopus with a bunch of swords). Highlights include the previous parenthetical statement, hacking a guy in a battlesuit with a mounted railgun to fight for the two hackers of the group, and one theDemon IMMEDIATELY organizing a drug deal.

As for the system, I love it to bits, but my players have a point where it suffers a bit from skill bloat. Also it showed off quite a bit that if a DM doesn't know how certain things work it can slog down the gameplay, as I feel like half the time I was looking up a certain item's stats or something similar.

Other than that, I loved the game, and now that I have a bit of experience with it I hope to run it again!

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Trip Report side note:

You gotta love a game where an AGI who fashions himself as a pre fall anchorman in a virtual news studio who flies around in a Dragonflyer morph that looks like a 4 rotor minicopter with a monitor on the front of it, A Ghost in the Shell like cyber woman with an itchy and well augmented trigger finger, and a GET OFF MY LAWN arabic redneck brain hacker.... All save the day from the impending coming of an Eldritch Horror from beyond the gates with a mix of beating up hobo robots, hacking emails ( and hobo robot brains ), and shooting crazy as hell uplifted animals with overridden battle morphs.

I didn't know what to think about this game before playing it. But i like it quite a bit now.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I too didn't know what to expect, but we rolled with it and got some silly combo of all the best parts of Ghost in the Shell, Snow Crash, and a loving octopus with 8 swords.

By the way, there's a cap on damage for multiple melee weapons, page 206. It maxes out at +3d10. So that 8-sword wielding octopus that eviscerated MadScientistWorking can do 2d10+3d10+static bonus, which, uh, still would have eviscerated him, but certainly not the 9d10 + 8x static bonus we rolled.

What I'm saying is take the extra 40 points in ambidex we can't use to give him Neurachem and either Kick or MRDR, so he can attack three times or more. I'm pretty sure it could go up to 4 or 5 times 5d10 if we spent a poo poo ton of money, but hey 8 swords ain't cheap, even if 4 of them are just for show.

Kire
Aug 25, 2006

KillerQueen posted:

As for the system, I love it to bits, but my players have a point where it suffers a bit from skill bloat. Also it showed off quite a bit that if a DM doesn't know how certain things work it can slog down the gameplay, as I feel like half the time I was looking up a certain item's stats or something similar.

I agree with you about the skill bloat, and I'd add weapon-options bloat as well. I have a heck of a time as GM slowing down the gameplay by looking stuff up, so my players and I just hand-waved a lot of stuff.

In my current campaign we're doing an 800-CP start, with no limits on how to allocate skills (no required min for Knowledge and Active), and intentionally playing a very low-combat campaign. None of us are powergamers so we used our 800 CP to create some rad roleplaying opportunities, and the lack of complicated combat really speeds things up and lets the positive parts of EP (the setting, the character types and different possible character interactions) shine.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

TheDemon posted:

8 swords ain't cheap, even if 4 of them are just for show.

We can just have the other 4 swords be spacecardboard with spacetin foil wrapped around it.

Anyways, the game's enormous list of semi-overlapping skills is basically the only thing I dislike (well also character creation because holy crap), and I may try and hack the system a bit to fix that. Other than that, this is a really fun game and I'm starting to load up on some cyberpunk so as to run it a bit better in the future. Should be fun times!

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

KillerQueen posted:

(also MSW got his poo poo kicked in by an octopus with a bunch of swords).
That was the most hilarious thing ever. I decided I was going to be my idiotic self. I was going to use discretion and clever tactics. I was going to infiltrate the meeting place and try and buddy my way to find out the event. One seemingly innocuous move later and my character is knocked out cold, suffers a massive panic attack, and in the process gets impaled multiple times by a sword wielding octopus.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

MadScientistWorking posted:

That was the most hilarious thing ever. I decided I was going to be my idiotic self. I was going to use discretion and clever tactics. I was going to infiltrate the meeting place and try and buddy my way to find out the event. One seemingly innocuous move later and my character is knocked out cold, suffers a massive panic attack, and in the process gets impaled multiple times by a sword wielding octopus.

Well, now your character knows that any human contact at all is potentially a secret plot of rob her of all free will! These are valuable spacelife lessons.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

KillerQueen posted:

We can just have the other 4 swords be spacecardboard with spacetin foil wrapped around it.

Anyways, the game's enormous list of semi-overlapping skills is basically the only thing I dislike (well also character creation because holy crap), and I may try and hack the system a bit to fix that. Other than that, this is a really fun game and I'm starting to load up on some cyberpunk so as to run it a bit better in the future. Should be fun times!

Albeit it's part of cgen, but you'll want to watch out for players putting a lot of points in morphs, if you're expecting them to be switching them around. Plus the pain in the rear end it is for recalculating sheets whenever they switch.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

PST posted:

Albeit it's part of cgen, but you'll want to watch out for players putting a lot of points in morphs, if you're expecting them to be switching them around. Plus the pain in the rear end it is for recalculating sheets whenever they switch.

I guess by that token you really shouldn't spend much on gear unless you were getting fabber blueprints for it, right?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

TheDemon posted:

I too didn't know what to expect, but we rolled with it and got some silly combo of all the best parts of Ghost in the Shell, Snow Crash, and a loving octopus with 8 swords.

By the way, there's a cap on damage for multiple melee weapons, page 206. It maxes out at +3d10. So that 8-sword wielding octopus that eviscerated MadScientistWorking can do 2d10+3d10+static bonus, which, uh, still would have eviscerated him, but certainly not the 9d10 + 8x static bonus we rolled.

What I'm saying is take the extra 40 points in ambidex we can't use to give him Neurachem and either Kick or MRDR, so he can attack three times or more. I'm pretty sure it could go up to 4 or 5 times 5d10 if we spent a poo poo ton of money, but hey 8 swords ain't cheap, even if 4 of them are just for show.

The only reason to max out ambidex on an octomorph is so you can wield 4 two-handed weapons and shoot them all at the same target. Four disposable launchers with HEAP missiles = 4 attacks of 6d10+24 with -8 AP damage with seeker missiles (so attacks can be rerolled if they missed on the next round) or 4 plasma rifle shots per round.

Kire
Aug 25, 2006
The official blog gets updated like once every 4 months. I wonder what they're up to?

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
What you do is use the other four swords as stilts and go stab-clank as you walk around.

I'm running my first game of EP Monday. Here's hoping the game doesn't fall apart.

I'm thinking of making the first mission either an AI running a habitat gone not crazy, or something involving a parasitic AI targeting children.

Or maybe they can be sent to keep an eye on things at in the town square in Erato. "Nothing dangerous. We just have a low profile op happening there that day and want some surveillance on this bank and the park near this statue. "

Either way, they work for "Proxy Bastard".

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long.
I will be running EP for meat friends starting very soon. I will be porting it to the FATE system via modified Diaspora. I have never run EP, Diaspora, or any FATE game before.

Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long.
Well, gently caress me for thread necromancy.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BAWRLIN posted:

I will be running EP for meat friends starting very soon. I will be porting it to the FATE system via modified Diaspora. I have never run EP, Diaspora, or any FATE game before.

Post whatever you write up of the conversion in here when you're done, more than a few people would be interested in seeing it. EP's system is just so terrible. :(

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 17, 2013

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I like the basic mechanic of d100 with "doubles" being a crit and your skill determining if its a critical success or failure, what systems would you say are terrible?

Back when I was playing everyone used the excel character sheet so changing morphs wasn't a huge hassle, but I guess un-aided that might be a little inconvenient?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Post whatever you write up of the conversion in here when you're done, more than a few people would be interested in seeing it. EP's system, is just so terrible. :(

Outside of character generation, it's not too hard to learn. I've had players pick it up with pregen characters for one shots without problem.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Post whatever you write up of the conversion in here when you're done, more than a few people would be interested in seeing it. EP's system, is just so terrible. :(

Yeah, I hear this a lot, but being the GM for my local group of friends, I haven't found it to be unmanageable. I really like the d100 system. Am I doing something wrong? :ohdear:

But then, I liked Dwarf Fortress too, so maybe it's just that nothing seems impenetrable after that?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

Outside of character generation, it's not too hard to learn. I've had players pick it up with pregen characters for one shots without problem.

Character generation and gear (including morph bonuses and calculating skill costs) are the really terrible parts. The core d% stuff works just fine, but that's not the bulk of the system, only the basic resolution mechanic.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I like the d% resolution system because gently caress coming up with DCs, just the modifiers. :v:

Despite the painful parts, when I ran games each player kept a printout of their morph/etc to keep track of their various bonuses and it worked out pretty slick.

Kire
Aug 25, 2006

Grim posted:

I like the basic mechanic of d100 with "doubles" being a crit and your skill determining if its a critical success or failure, what systems would you say are terrible?

Back when I was playing everyone used the excel character sheet so changing morphs wasn't a huge hassle, but I guess un-aided that might be a little inconvenient?

Changing morphs unexpectedly in the middle of a session is really hard for people without laptops, because we can't easily alter our sheets to account for all the changes.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Kire posted:

Changing morphs unexpectedly in the middle of a session is really hard for people without laptops, because we can't easily alter our sheets to account for all the changes.

Changing morphs takes a while in the game, so it should be done between sessions when at all possible. In my experience, most players resleeve because they've egocasted to a new location or their last morph was killed. A good gamemaster should try to keep players from having to resleeve into new morph types during a game session.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.
My go-to system has generally been Dark Heresy or Rogue Trader, which may not be the best benchmark, but I find that EP, despite the rough character generation, lends itself better to actual play. I appreciate that you start with a character that is more or less established already, so you don't have cases where a group of new players want to do something more or less par for the course, but can't because they aren't high enough rank to have the skill and/or their target number before modifiers is 30 or below, so I will give it credit for that.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
We're using a mashup of Eclipse Fate and Fate Core for our game, and it's working pretty well. All it really entails is an altered skill list, +1 rank on the skill pyramid to represent more badass characters, and getting a free Morph Aspect. It makes changing morphs really easy and keeps morphs flavourful and different mechanically without being overwhelming. When we first started we were using the rule in Eclipse Fate where different morphs gave you a bonus with either mental, physical or social skills (essentially ignoring a certain number of minuses per roll) but abandoned it due to it being too powerful. Aspects work well enough for us, I reckon.

You can get Eclipse Fate here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxeriyJE-cySNTEwODRlM2ItNGMzMy00YjliLWFlMzItZDJlZTIxMjJlMThm/edit

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
EP for me mostly has a VERY needlessly complex chargen that to it's credit does manage to avoid a lot of Shadowrun problems (EP is much better with attributes), but the system itself outside of chargen isn't too bad.

...Other then morph stuff, which is a loving nightmare and goes against the central idea of the game in every way.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

...Other then morph stuff, which is a loving nightmare and goes against the central idea of the game in every way.

Did anyone post the morph pool rules over at their forums? With any luck, Posthuman might include them in the next revision of the core rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Character generation and gear (including morph bonuses and calculating skill costs) are the really terrible parts. The core d% stuff works just fine, but that's not the bulk of the system, only the basic resolution mechanic.
Its not really that bad. Its just that like quite a few games I've seen information is presented in such a convoluted manner its needlessly complex. Character generation is a pain in the rear end yes but honestly not the worst.

• Locked thread