Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'd be interested in this too for sure.

PerrineClostermann posted:

I'd be up for it. Sounds fun. I recommend we use only the OldFashioned pack, though.

Well we should definitely all stick to a single modpack, but I'm not sure about it being that one; a bunch of us have trouble running it without the game grinding to a halt. Unless it's only a tiny minority? What do people think?

The original gigapack or killhour's one would be what I would say. (I would specifically say killhour's one since it's what I have installed :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, I've had no trouble with it at all, once I switched to hardware mode. I'm running Windows 7 x64 and using crossfired 6870s; I'd have thought that if anyone was going to have issues, it'd be me with all my modern hardware.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Not crashes, no, but it just runs slow as butts. I know I'm not the only one with the issue, but just how prevalent it is I'm not sure, so we should probably take a vote on it.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Sign me up, or it could be Vanilla + NAM for the ones having problems, although as long as you don't load the others city I think everyone could use whatever they want. I don't know if there would be some problem with CAM.

Anomalies
Mar 1, 2010

n0n0 posted:

Two questions:

If I install the Gigapack on top of my newer copy of NAM, will poo poo get hosed up?

Will the Gigapack buildings automatically start populating my cities that are already in progress, or new cities only?

poo poo (or at least NAM's poo poo) may get hosed up since there's an older copy of NAM included in the gigapack. Best not to run two different copies of any mods, that tends to lead to problems.

New buildings you install will start being built if the conditions are right in all cities, new or old, once you start playing them.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Do any mods fix this traffic looping bug I'm hearing about?

Andrigaar posted:

I was curious about the Dropbox idea and did a quick experiment.

1) Set up a Dropbox account if you need to.
2)
code:
Example in Win7: mklink /j "C:\Users\[your login]\Documents\SimCity 4\Regions\London Dropbox" "C:\Users\[your Dropbox path]\sc4 - London"
3) Sort out who gets what regions, have Dropbox organizer send out invites as people claim regions.
4) Everyone start playing
5) Have tons of reconcile edge disasters if enough people join/regions are taken
6) Unnatural disasters!!!
7) Reset and repeat?
Doing mklink /D should be just fine, you shouldn't need to create a hard link with /j for this.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 19, 2013

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Koramei posted:

Not crashes, no, but it just runs slow as butts. I know I'm not the only one with the issue, but just how prevalent it is I'm not sure, so we should probably take a vote on it.

Simcity 4's always slow as butts, but it's fast enough in my eyes. I guess a vote is good, but OldFashioned is making me like SC4 a lot better than vanilla+NAM.

Inverness posted:

Do any mods fix this traffic looping bug I'm hearing about?

Not that I'm aware of.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Anomalies posted:

poo poo (or at least NAM's poo poo) may get hosed up since there's an older copy of NAM included in the gigapack. Best not to run two different copies of any mods, that tends to lead to problems.

New buildings you install will start being built if the conditions are right in all cities, new or old, once you start playing them.
So then, is there a way to uninstall the Gigapack's NAM and replace it with the newer version of NAM?

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

n0n0 posted:

So then, is there a way to uninstall the Gigapack's NAM and replace it with the newer version of NAM?

No as far as I know, cause the Gigapack is all datpacked.

benzine fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 19, 2013

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

I'd be up for Dropbox-enabled regional shenanigans. Pity that pollution doesn't travel across city borders...

How would neighbor connections work if multiple city tiles are being updated at different times? I'd assume that if a player makes a connection to a neighboring city the corresponding stub of road in the city being connected to would be build when the tile was reloaded. It would be a good idea to require a 5ish-tile gap around the edges of the city would be a good idea. If connections get too problematic then the connections could be pre-built somehow.

I've been having a lot of trouble with the Old Fashioned pack. Even though it was working mostly-fine a few days ago, it no longer loads any city tiles. I fiddled around with it and removed all the terrain plugins, but that didn't help. GF's pack with NAM works fine for me. Perhaps someone could put together a special pack for regional play, with a focus on stability? Perhaps plugins should be limited to custom buildings, NAM, CAM, SPAM, etc?

In any case, looking forward to making a wretched hive of crime and decay in the midst of everyone's gleaming metropolises.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've downloaded and installed the mod that lets you put bus stops on top of roads but I can't figure out how it works.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Actually I'll join a goon region too.
How about making a thread in PGS for it?

Starhawk
Mar 28, 2003

I am leaking dangerous cargo.

RandomPauI posted:

I've downloaded and installed the mod that lets you put bus stops on top of roads but I can't figure out how it works.

Assuming it's the most popular one on sdex, I've also tried to get this working. You have to choose a set of models and poo poo and then manually delete all the .dat files for the ones you don't want. Although good luck trying to figure out which is which. After spending an hour+ on it I gave up. Stupid bus stations aren't worth that much effort.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

There should be a readme in there that tells you which .dat files are single prop and which are prop families so you know which to delete. Although if you're having trouble, I can upload my RTMT folder and you'll just have to deal with what I chose. :v:

I still can't get the game working on Windows 8 though, see my previous post. :sigh:

Starhawk
Mar 28, 2003

I am leaking dangerous cargo.

Autumncomet posted:

Although if you're having trouble, I can upload my RTMT folder and you'll just have to deal with what I chose. :v:

That sounds great actually. And yes it does have a 6225 word readme. :psyduck:

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
I've been experimenting with using sugarsync, so you can link the folder directly. No need to use mklink.

So before we could just try to experiment in this how it works and stability, so add me benzine.sa@gmail.com

Edit: relevant links
https://www.sugarsync.com/downloads/
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=125255638#22484.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I have a question about things like plazas. A wiki tells me large, medium, and small plazas have a commercial desirability of 80, 60, and 50 respectively. Does this mean many small plazas would be more effective than one large one or that desirability depends on the plaza with the highest value?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Megacity 1 has 350,000 residents and an off-scale demand for R$ but negative demand for R$$ and R$$$. I've also got an off-scale demand for CO-$$$ and negative demand for everything else commercial. How can I raise my R$$ and R$$$ demand?

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

benzine posted:

I've been experimenting with using sugarsync, so you can link the folder directly. No need to use mklink.

So before we could just try to experiment in this how it works and stability, so add me benzine.sa@gmail.com

Edit: relevant links
https://www.sugarsync.com/downloads/
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=125255638#22484.

I have SugarSync set up and I think I'm ready to go, if you want to try sharing a region. I'm glorgnole@gmail.com

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Starhawk posted:

That sounds great actually. And yes it does have a 6225 word readme. :psyduck:
http://www.mediafire.com/?vdmhrlgshr6s8nk

It's right-hand driving, so I hope you're not from the UK (you can just swap in the UK variants though). According to the list I keep of my folder structure, I have the TH bus sign model, the Roman timetable, a red shelter phonebooth, the long modern overhang for the GLR stations, a London Underground subway entrance, and the Big Blue bus stop.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Glorgnole posted:

I have SugarSync set up and I think I'm ready to go, if you want to try sharing a region. I'm glorgnole@gmail.com
Invited, now to test this.

The SugarSync asks not only for a email but also for the first name. :psyduck:

So I'm Benzine and benzine.sa@gmail.com

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

benzine posted:

Invited, now to test this.

I made a terrible tiny city next to yours, with some neighbor connections and a neighbor deal to see if those work. Seems good so far.
I have to go do other things for a bit, but I'll be back in a few hours.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Now I made a PGS http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3539325

So we can try to make this work, if you want to add something on the OP, please let me know.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Luigi Thirty posted:

Megacity 1 has 350,000 residents and an off-scale demand for R$ but negative demand for R$$ and R$$$. I've also got an off-scale demand for CO-$$$ and negative demand for everything else commercial. How can I raise my R$$ and R$$$ demand?

Build schools, zone larger lots, make parks, I think.

Also I solved my issues the other day. One of my avenues had no through streets, so about 30000 Sims had to use one intersection. :downs:

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
So yes you can play with others, and for the moment everything is going fine, and even with differents mods. As long as you don't enter others cities it seems it doesn't cause to much problems.

If you visit some other city it looks like this.

And region view, you can see the different terrain mods.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
With a sufficiently large region, this could get pretty interesting. Differing modpacks shouldn't really be a problem, as I assume people wouldn't actually be playing/saving others' cities? Some buildings wouldn't show up, but the it should function. Even differing versions of NAM shouldn't be a huge problem as I don't believe the neighbor connectors have changed drastically between releases.

Does the multiplayer system you're working on automatically overwrite cities or do players need to manually download/upload it? The former is simpler, but the latter offers a lot more control.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

With a sufficiently large region, this could get pretty interesting. Differing modpacks shouldn't really be a problem, as I assume people wouldn't actually be playing/saving others' cities? Some buildings wouldn't show up, but the it should function. Even differing versions of NAM shouldn't be a huge problem as I don't believe the neighbor connectors have changed drastically between releases.

Does the multiplayer system you're working on automatically overwrite cities or do players need to manually download/upload it? The former is simpler, but the latter offers a lot more control.

The first, it automatically overwrites, and I think as long as you don't use one of the NAM connection, I don't see any problem.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'm in for multiplayer SC4, now that it's shown that mod packs don't even need to be synched up. Send an invite to REDACTED if you want.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 20, 2013

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm in for multiplayer SC4, now that it's shown that mod packs don't even need to be synched up. Send an invite

Just get to our thread in PGS and join the madness. We're having lots of fun with saves getting overwritten unexpectedly and stuff :(

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

For the final thing, you should offset the city grid a little to maximise connections between large squares.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
I bought SC4 Deluxe off Amazon on the cheap (had a gift card I wasn't using otherwise) and activated on Origin to download (but running through Steam--gently caress Origin). Long story short, is this version up-to-date for the OldFashioned pack? The links I find for patches are all 509'd and I can't get any (if I indeed need them).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm slowly trying to learn this game, and have a couple of questions:

* What do the RCI bars actually mean? That is, if all three of them are way up there, what should I be building?

* Is there a way to check for unemployment? I guess this is related to the previous point because I want to know if I have enough C and I for all my citizens to be fully employed

* My first zone was a mishmash of all three zones: Residential and Commercial throughout the middle with Industrial in one of the corners, but recently I've connected to a second zone where I've built nothing but Industrial with the intent of having most of the my first zone's jobs be located there. Do I need to let time elapse in the second zone for the zones to be filled up with factories and stuff so that the citizens in the first zone have jobs to move to?

* On a related note, I also wanted to move Dirty Industry out of my first zone. How do I do that? I raised I-D taxes to 20%, but it seemed that they were just all too happy to keep paying out.

* Is there a way to check what I need to provide next for the zone density/quality to upgrade further?

* Finally, the auto-roads always split the zones into strips/blocks. Do I ever miss out on any buildings, like large skyscrapers, because of this?

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

* What do the RCI bars actually mean? That is, if all three of them are way up there, what should I be building?
Demand for either R,C or I. You can click it to see for what kind of demand you have.

* Is there a way to check for unemployment? I guess this is related to the previous point because I want to know if I have enough C and I for all my citizens to be fully employed
Yes, you can download the Census repository facility. Can't link cause SC4Devotion is down.

* On a related note, I also wanted to move Dirty Industry out of my first zone. How do I do that? I raised I-D taxes to 20%, but it seemed that they were just all too happy to keep paying out.
They stay there, the best way is to bulldoze them and I-M will grow if you have demand for it.

* Is there a way to check what I need to provide next for the zone density/quality to upgrade further?
For low density, only power and road access.
For medium density: Water
For high density: You need to have demand and a big population.

* Finally, the auto-roads always split the zones into strips/blocks. Do I ever miss out on any buildings, like large skyscrapers, because of this?
Yes, the biggest SC4 vanilla buildings are 4x4 and 4x5, you can zone to that size using CTRL while you zone.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

gradenko_2000 posted:

* My first zone was a mishmash of all three zones: Residential and Commercial throughout the middle with Industrial in one of the corners, but recently I've connected to a second zone where I've built nothing but Industrial with the intent of having most of the my first zone's jobs be located there. Do I need to let time elapse in the second zone for the zones to be filled up with factories and stuff so that the citizens in the first zone have jobs to move to?

1. Click the RCI thing to get a more complete breakdown that should help.

2. Try the jobs vs. population graph. It kinda helps, but can also be misleading. I can't remember what the game sees as working ages, or if it makes the distinction at all.

3. I think you mean Cities within a Region. Just use zones to denote R, C, and I. You need to let some time elapse in both cities. It gets annoying.

4. Dirty will always keep paying out even at 20%. It can be useful, though it feels cheaty. What you have to do is just bulldoze every dirty building manually. No new dirty will grow with taxes at 20%.

5. Well make sure you have plenty of power and water for higher densities, at least medium. As for the rest, services and demand cap busters like parks, reward buildings, neighbor city connections, and regional R and C population.

6. Perhaps, most of us zone manually at this point. We create our own streets, and then control the size and orientation of individual zone lots. Someone pointed out earlier, that at least for R the maximum lot size is 4x4. But the game is smart enough to convert something like 4 1x1 lots to a 4x4, or 2 2x2 lots, eventually when density goes up.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

gradenko_2000 posted:

-The RCI bars measure demand. High bar, high demand, etc. The different bars of the same color represent the demand of particular economic groups. High demand for R$ means lots of poor people want to live in your city, but say negative Cs$$ demand means that not only will no new medium-wealth commercial services pop up, any existing ones are likely to go out of business.

-Yes.

-If you see a house with a No Briefcase symbol, then those sims are out of work.

-Just bulldoze anything you don't want :v:

-Sims will buy up adjoining lots to build bigger buildings, so as long as theres a big enough total area, lot size doesn't matter much.

heladocasero
Jul 27, 2010
How do I set up a neighbour deal? I've made linking water pipes and power lines and so on but I can't see any way to get it started, or clicking somewhere in the budgets..

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Man, I'm having a really weird issue where it seems like my factories/farms don't have any employees as far as the traffic sim is concerned, and instead just produce magic freight trucks.

heladocasero posted:

How do I set up a neighbour deal? I've made linking water pipes and power lines and so on but I can't see any way to get it started, or clicking somewhere in the budgets..

I think you handle that under the budget menu.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah it's in the same budget popup that you go to to adjust taxes, just near the bottom (of the main window, not inside the taxes window). It's there along with stuff like city ordinances and business deals.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

heladocasero posted:

Yeah it's in the budget under Neighbor Deals, but I'm guessing you know that despite your phrasing. In that case, sometimes you have to pop over to the neighboring city and let the simulation run for a month or two, see if you can activate the deal from that side, if not, switch back over, rinse and repeat. If that doesn't work then you need to provide us some more details, like pics of the way it's set up.

Giggily posted:

Man, I'm having a really weird issue where it seems like my factories/farms don't have any employees as far as the traffic sim is concerned, and instead just produce magic freight trucks.

I've noticed this as well, but just assumed there were not any employees at all at those locations yet. I-A and I-D, I think, will spawn even if there are no employees in the city or region. Yes, this makes no sense since it's producing freight, but...at least your freight trucks are not being delayed by emergent traffic behavior, right?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I have not played this in years but current events made me want to play it again so I have been messing around in the stock game a bit.

Is there a particularly good region I could download to play on? Also is the gigapack the way to go? I have never actually played a modded version before.

• Locked thread