Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Stupid question; but in the Moga Woods I keep finding a bunch of cats just kinda sitting around doing nothing. I can't talk to them or anything though... are they important?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
It's up on the NA eshop.

6.2 gigs estimated at 3 hours 20 minutes.

gobbledygoat fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 19, 2013

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Stupid question; but in the Moga Woods I keep finding a bunch of cats just kinda sitting around doing nothing. I can't talk to them or anything though... are they important?

Nope. The black ones steal stuff and the white ones help you sometimes but they generally serve no purpose.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Got confirmation, so I'll say again because I'm a generous and kind individual with absolutely no negative traits at all (shut up red text nobody likes you).

I have an extra physical copy of Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate for 3DS. Or, at least, I will later tonight/tomorrow night. I'd like this to go to a good home, rather than just cancel the preorder (if I even still can) or traded in for gently caress-all in store credit. As such, I'm willing to give it to whoever wants it. Obviously this'd mostly be people who don't already have a copy, maybe even people who aren't sure if they'll like the game (free games are more fun, science fact) in hopes of creating new converts.

There'll probably be no cost involve, maybe shipping but we can figure that out privately. If you're artistically capable I'd accept bitchin' fanart of a male Hammer user (why is there none of this!?), but that's not really a requirement.

This is Serious Talk, that I'll seriously take elsewhere (SA Mart, I guess?) if this thread is a bad place for it.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

They're mostly there to get slapped around by whatever monster you are fighting and take it out on you by blowing you up with barrel explosives at inopportune times.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Got confirmation, so I'll say again because I'm a generous and kind individual with absolutely no negative traits at all (shut up red text nobody likes you).

I have an extra physical copy of Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate for 3DS. Or, at least, I will later tonight/tomorrow night. I'd like this to go to a good home, rather than just cancel the preorder (if I even still can) or traded in for gently caress-all in store credit. As such, I'm willing to give it to whoever wants it. Obviously this'd mostly be people who don't already have a copy, maybe even people who aren't sure if they'll like the game (free games are more fun, science fact) in hopes of creating new converts.

There'll probably be no cost involve, maybe shipping but we can figure that out privately. If you're artistically capable I'd accept bitchin' fanart of a male Hammer user (why is there none of this!?), but that's not really a requirement.

This is Serious Talk, that I'll seriously take elsewhere (SA Mart, I guess?) if this thread is a bad place for it.

My girlfriend is interested in this game but is unemployeed and therefore can't afford it. I bet she'd love a free copy! I already bought one in case you were wondering.

E: She also falls into the "Im not sure if I'll like this game" catagory. I promise that if she doesn't, I'll re-offer it to the thread.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 19, 2013

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

You're a terrible boyfriend man, why wouldn't you get her a copy?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Norns posted:

You're a terrible boyfriend man, why wouldn't you get her a copy?

He IS getting her a copy!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I'm getting her a copy and not spending money. Its really a win-win. Plus if she's not a fan I'm re-offering it to the thread.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I'm getting her a copy and not spending money. Its really a win-win. Plus if she's not a fan I'm re-offering it to the thread.

Unless someone with a better sob story pops up, I'm cool with this. You get to be a cool boyfriend, someone new gets to discover the joys of Monster Hunter, and if she don't like it it can be the game that travels the world.

Shoot me a PM or something and we'll figure out details. As a head's up though, I work graveyard so I'll probably be unconscious soon. I'm only even still awake so I could get the eShop download going.

Edit: If you don't have PMs, you can get me at my username on AIM or @aol.com too. If you do those, make sure you let me know who you are so I don't ignore you.

RyuujinBlueZ fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 19, 2013

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So dumb question time: Finally up to where I can table check. I probably won't restart unless I'm on a shard-less one, but I am curious to know which I'm on. Using this site, you enter the fish in vertically, right? Everything in the 1. Slot area?

The CPP makes underwater so much better it's not even funny. I was on the fence about buying one, but I'm really glad I did. Took a bit of fiddling to get the in-game controls how I wanted, but it made a world of difference. I woulda been floundering around trying to outrun ol' Laggy with the regular controls.

New players: In the Moga basecamp, if you walk down the pier and jump in the water, you can go through a shortcut. Saves two loading screens.

E: Actually, that site doesn't wanna actually work. Probably getting hammered. There mirrors out there?

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 19, 2013

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
If you're playing the Wii U version, should you in that case also disable Wi Fi before guaranteeing your Charm Table?

Also, let's say you get the method off by like one second. Are the good charm tables pretty close to each other or is there a chance I'd have to restart again?

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only

ChibiSoma posted:

So dumb question time: Finally up to where I can table check. I probably won't restart unless I'm on a shard-less one, but I am curious to know which I'm on. Using this site, you enter the fish in vertically, right? Everything in the 1. Slot area?

I made this mistake the first time I was checking my tables, don't be me....

Enter everything horizontally, each row is a new haul, the columns are the slot order.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Unless someone with a better sob story pops up, I'm cool with this. You get to be a cool boyfriend, someone new gets to discover the joys of Monster Hunter, and if she don't like it it can be the game that travels the world.

Shoot me a PM or something and we'll figure out details. As a head's up though, I work graveyard so I'll probably be unconscious soon. I'm only even still awake so I could get the eShop download going.

Edit: If you don't have PMs, you can get me at my username on AIM or @aol.com too. If you do those, make sure you let me know who you are so I don't ignore you.

It wouldn't let me send you a PM for some reason, so I sent you an email! Thanks a bunch!

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

commander nojj posted:

I made this mistake the first time I was checking my tables, don't be me....

Enter everything horizontally, each row is a new haul, the columns are the slot order.

Jesus, really?

Lesse... 4 Popfish, 2 Pin Tuna, 1 Shining Starfish, 2 Sleepyfish, and 3 Sushifish...

:aaa: Table 10?! Did I really luck out and get on table 10?

E: Well, I had a hit on unlucky 15 and 13 on my second trip, but three trips in and all three have been triggering on table 10, so I think I managed to get on a good table without trying. Go just pressing start!

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 19, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kind of wish I saw that extra copy first; friend of mines a huge monster hunter fan and due to real life problems (is that even a term?) he's been broke and in a bit of depression so that would of been nice.

Ah well; I'm too slow I guess. Back to bumbling about this game in a confused manner.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 19, 2013

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

ChibiSoma posted:

Jesus, really?

Lesse... 4 Popfish, 2 Pin Tuna, 1 Shining Starfish, 2 Sleepyfish, and 3 Sushifish...

:aaa: Table 10?! Did I really luck out and get on table 10?

E: Well, I had a hit on unlucky 15 and 13 on my second trip, but three trips in and all three have been triggering on table 10, so I think I managed to get on a good table without trying. Go just pressing start!

I had a completely different set of fish, (I had sushifish, popfish, sleepyfish, popfish, sushifish) and got table 10 first try. I actually did all the hoops though. So if you don't exactly meet up with what was posted, you may still have table 10.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011
Oh goddammit. The main game on the Wii U has the same problem as the demo. Hunter voices, menu sounds and more are all muted for some reason. Changing the SFX volume in the settings didn't fix anything and neither did switching HDMI cables. What the gently caress?

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
I feel so terrible for murdering that bear. He was just trying to gather honey like bears do. I just brutalized Pooh bear in MH. :(

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

avlein posted:

Oh goddammit. The main game on the Wii U has the same problem as the demo. Hunter voices, menu sounds and more are all muted for some reason. Changing the SFX volume in the settings didn't fix anything and neither did switching HDMI cables. What the gently caress?
Is it routing those through the gamepad? Do you have the gamepad muted?

e: My copy is still downloading so that's just a blind guess.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011
Found my problem. Apparently my TV cannot handle the Wii U's surround sound option without removing several audio channels. That's a right kick in the balls.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to play Monster Hunter in Stereo.

Dinotron
Sep 2, 2008
Yes! I begrudgingly started a new game after realizing that I forgot to turn the wifi off and managed to get Table 10 this time! I just deleted all wifi data in the Wii U systems menu, set the time/date to 12:42 AM - 01/21/12, started the stop watch at the same time as pressing "OK" on the time/date change confirmation screen, and started a new game at 02:43:75.

Also, here's another charm table calculator since the one in the OP is down. Everything is in Japanese, but the items are in the same order as the English one in the OP. http://www.hayasoft.com/chisamin/mh3g/tsearch.cgi

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
All of this "cursed tables" talk sounds like a tremendous pain in the rear end and I can't believe that Capcom let this poo poo fly. Is it a bug or is it something intentional? If a bug, could it be patched out? If intentional, what the gently caress were they thinking?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Well gently caress me; purchased the digital version right before I left for work and brought the 3DS with me to finish at work (because the download was abysmally slow) and our network is blocking the connection so it won't finish. :suicide:

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Calaveron posted:

All of this "cursed tables" talk sounds like a tremendous pain in the rear end and I can't believe that Capcom let this poo poo fly. Is it a bug or is it something intentional? If a bug, could it be patched out? If intentional, what the gently caress were they thinking?

Well you see we want players to have a dynamic experience and that means never getting good charms because

We also think that it's more important to play with your friends in person than online because

(Capcom make some great games but are very prone to monstrously stupid decisions)

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
God, lances and gunlances are awful! You move slow, you have zero crowd control, you have no evasion at all, your attacks are all piddly and awkward. Terrible god drat weapons. Been trying to use a gunlance and they're not fun in any way. Apparently there's no way to attack forward without running ten feet or letting go of block. So you're stuck with this clunky upwards stab that never hits anything. And since you've got this enormous delay time between end of attack and when you regain control, you're gonna get boxed around by the swarm of enemies you have no way to handle! :v:

Think I'll go back to hammers. A weapon that actually has some power, control, and loving maneuverability to it. Dual blades were also good, as I recall. Only messed with those a bit in MHFU, but I seem to recall liking them. Basically, anything that lets you roll around and move quickly is aces. Everything else is just asking for a headache.

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 19, 2013

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

ChibiSoma posted:

God, lances and gunlances are awful! You move slow, you have zero crowd control, you have no evasion at all, your attacks are all piddly and awkward. Terrible god drat weapons. Been trying to use a gunlance and they're not fun in any way. Apparently there's no way to attack forward without running ten feet or letting go of block. So you're stuck with this clunky upwards stab that never hits anything. And since you've got this enormous delay time between end of attack and when you regain control, you're gonna get boxed around by the swarm of enemies you have no way to handle! :v:
There's a lot more to it and I'm still kind of a novice when it comes to the technical intricacies of lances, but always sidestep at the end of your combo. It gets you some invincibility frames and also lets you recover faster. Also they're a lot like greatswords in that if you need to do a lot of running you just put it away first.

And from what little I know about them, gunlances are all about the combos. If you don't have those down you're not going to have a good time.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

ChibiSoma posted:

Think I'll go back to hammers. A weapon that actually has some power, control, and loving maneuverability to it. Dual blades were also good, as I recall. Only messed with those a bit in MHFU, but I seem to recall liking them. Basically, anything that lets you roll around and move quickly is aces. Everything else is just asking for a headache.

Gotta hop after the third attack by hitting A. No reason to not do it every time. Speeds up recovery and is useful for dodging.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Calaveron posted:

Its more they forgot to include a piece of code (tables have always exists but they were rolled on game load each time not just character creation) they forgot some code and are too lazy to fix it. So they are calling it a "feature". "It's been out for a year in Japan and no one has complained about it We don't think anything is wrong"

Basically its a bug that isn't getting patched because the East never complained and the dev team that made the game is probably working on another game now.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I've always found the basic lance to be really boring, but near the end of my run with Freedom Unite I started using gunlance for shits and actually came to really love it. A well timed Dragon's Fire is more satisfying than a perfectly timed Greatsword swing. It's also part of the reason I really liked switch axe in Tri; with the gunlance taken out, the burst attack with the sword form was the closest thing in my mind. I'm glad that it's back.

Gumdrop Larry fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 19, 2013

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is the transfer app available to download yet?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

ChibiSoma posted:

God, lances and gunlances are awful!
this is a typical reaction of new Hunters. That reaction isn't inappropriate, but you are wrong.

quote:

You move slow, you have zero crowd control, you have no evasion at all
Yes, you are slow, crowd control is one of the least important elements of the game, and there are ways to work around it in the few instances it is important; and Lance is THE BEST evasive weapon class in the game, ignoring the resource (meter) limited step-dodge of Dual Swords.

quote:

your attacks are all piddly and awkward.
Damage is actually pretty good, though nothing great. The fact your attacks are pin-point actually makes Lances very good, though they do have a very high difficulty curve.

quote:

Been trying to use a gunlance and they're not fun in any way. Apparently there's no way to attack forward without running ten feet or letting go of block.
Let go of the movement analog when you attack. Every single weapon will have a few moves that can only be executed so long as your movement is neutral. You do not have to wait for yourself to stop moving, but you do need to let go of the analog.

quote:

And since you've got this enormous delay time between end of attack and when you regain control, you're gonna get boxed around by the swarm of enemies you have no way to handle! :v:
Use the step dodge to cancel recovery animations. Gunlance makes this difficult, because you can not step dodge after shelling, but I believe it recovers into block more quickly.

Game is all about learning the finer points and how to make them work.

quote:

So having said all else, do use whatever weapons you have fun with. I just wanted to break down some of that so you don't COMPLETELY write off certain weapons. They're all just tools, and some monsters are easier/more difficult to deal with than others, weapon depending. Lances in particular are very good underwater, and while Gunlances are somewhat limited (lacking the couched lance charge), they still cater very well to the rushing monster attacks that are frequent in underwater encounters, because of the study block.

Anyway, use what you want and have fun! I'm just saying that Lances/Gunlances are difficult to use because they resemble absolutely nothing from any other game ever (roughly). I had the same opinion, but eventually game them a good look, and really fell in love with Lance because of the triple step dodge. Gunlance because explosions.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
My experience with lance only goes as far as a side experience in Portable 3rd, but I found it was such a consistent and powerful AND maneuverable weapon in Tri that I could just dial it in every single hunt. Not even underwater battle could stop those things, and crowd control was just a non-issue with its sweep attack as well as trash mobs retreating and becoming irrelevant in big monster fights. After learning how to counter it was just so good that it actually became boring and I had wished I started with a different weapon tree. Gunlances are quite different though, actually a completely different bird in terms of required method.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Dinotron posted:

Yes! I begrudgingly started a new game after realizing that I forgot to turn the wifi off and managed to get Table 10 this time! I just deleted all wifi data in the Wii U systems menu, set the time/date to 12:42 AM - 01/21/12, started the stop watch at the same time as pressing "OK" on the time/date change confirmation screen, and started a new game at 02:43:75.

Also, here's another charm table calculator since the one in the OP is down. Everything is in Japanese, but the items are in the same order as the English one in the OP. http://www.hayasoft.com/chisamin/mh3g/tsearch.cgi

That is the one in the OP :v:

The one in the OP is just a English front end for that site.

Dinotron
Sep 2, 2008

KGBAgent185 posted:

That is the one in the OP :v:

The one in the OP is just a English front end for that site.

No, I think the one in the OP is an English front site for a mirror of the link I posted. The one in the OP takes you to http://www1.harenet.ne.jp/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/mina-to/tsearch.cgi. I kept trying to use the one in OP, but it was unresponsive as it was no doubt being hammered by traffic. However, the one I posted worked just fine for me.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Neeeeeeeeeeeeever mind!

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 19, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Wow, I guess the Wii U goes ahead and powers down after an hour while downloads are going. Thanks for that, time to turn off THAT stupid power saving option.

Another hour to wait for monster huntering grumble grargh

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Dinotron posted:

No, I think the one in the OP is an English front site for a mirror of the link I posted. The one in the OP takes you to http://www1.harenet.ne.jp/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/mina-to/tsearch.cgi. I kept trying to use the one in OP, but it was unresponsive as it was no doubt being hammered by traffic. However, the one I posted worked just fine for me.

Ah, I should've paid more attention to the URL! I saw that it was the same UI and everything and figured. Pits.

Vallens
Jan 27, 2004

Get back in line you drunken fool!
Stream is going back up.

http://www.twitch.tv/vallens/new

Edit: Done for the night. Streaming again tomorrow night.

Vallens fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

Neeeeeeeeeeeeever mind!

Did you wait patiently for a couple minutes for it to "personalize" (watermark) your PDF? After it finishes, the link changes to "download"

• Locked thread