Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

Something's still wrong with this code
I love the upside-down lightbulb to indicate that conversation is just so incredibly goofy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MikeJF posted:

It is possible to unredact the text in the last panel.

Dunno if that was an accident or deliberate. Still, here we go.

Didn't like how washed out it was, so by magic-wanding the black squares and fiddling a bit with the color curves in GIMP, here's a better version of the unredacted page:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Opposing Farce posted:

The uncensored dialog suggests that Spender isn't telling Isaac anything specifically because he's a medium, so it may very well be that Isabel and Ed do know something and Isaac is deliberately being left out of the loop. If that's the case, the fact that they don't care is simply another biter irony for the universe to torment Isaac with.

Is it any medium, or is it specifically Isaac's spirit in particular that's the problem? I imagine it'd be pretty hard to keep secrets, whatever they may be, from every medium, but it'd be a simpler matter if it's only specific spirits you're trying to keep information from. Of course, as we were shown earlier, that doesn't really matter when a sufficiently powerful spirit in a tool can take over its user's body.

Of course, this isn't backed up by anything in particular in the comic, so it's hard to say without more information.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's interesting that he isn't even allowed to tell Isaac that he isn't telling him because he's a medium.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Did Isaac always have that flustered cheek? I started noticing that after Max walked through Doorman.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Level Slide posted:

Did Isaac always have that flustered cheek? I started noticing that after Max walked through Doorman.

It throws me off all the time because I always forget and think he is half blushing or something but it is a scrape he got on his face fighting the sphinx. He doesn't have it here but does here.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Prison Warden posted:

It throws me off all the time because I always forget and think he is half blushing or something but it is a scrape he got on his face fighting the sphinx. He doesn't have it here but does here.

Huh, that's some nice attention to detail.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
So that spirit was Max's tool all along. Neat.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Are you on the drugs?

:allears:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
New page since no one posted the link.

If it was just bullet-time, how does that explain everything being in apocalyptic-future mode?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I think it's just a visual side-effect of being in communion with his spirit.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

horriblePencilist posted:

Are you on the drugs?

:allears:

This should be the new thread title.

Because it is my favorite thing.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

We could really change the thread title every single update.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Brannock posted:

New page since no one posted the link.

If it was just bullet-time, how does that explain everything being in apocalyptic-future mode?

I'm completely baffled by how everyone reading this comic seems to have completely forgotten how Magical and/or Spiritual Visions always work in stories that have them. It's not even just a few people, almost everyone thought some weird time stopping sun setting metal pile creating magic happened and are really confused but all this.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I'm completely baffled by how everyone reading this comic seems to have completely forgotten how Magical and/or Spiritual Visions always work in stories that have them. It's not even just a few people, almost everyone thought some weird time stopping sun setting metal pile creating magic happened and are really confused but all this.
Popular fiction is not exactly saturated with depictions of Spiritual Visions, I don't think you can really expect most people to go "oh, a spirit vision, of course!"

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Haledjian posted:

Popular fiction is not exactly saturated with depictions of Spiritual Visions,

It isn't? You and I must have very different wheelhouses when it comes to our media

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

And we have a new page!

Syphilicious!
Jul 26, 2007
So why'd he slap his backpack away like a dick?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
^^^ I think because his bat/spirit was in there

:lol: The alt text

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if Isaac can glow out like that in real-time.

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!
Yeah, I think this page reinforces the idea behind why Isaac doesn't get to know anything. Because he's possessed, rather than having a tool, his spirit is always aware of what's going on, whereas spirits in tools need a connection to their spectrals to interact with the outside world.

This has some interesting implications if Mr. Spender never takes off his sunglasses (which are heavily implied to be his tool). What makes his spirit more trustworthy than Max's or Issac's spirits?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Batman's Shameful Secret > Paranatural: Max bits en route 2 stomach

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

This has some interesting implications if Mr. Spender never takes off his sunglasses (which are heavily implied to be his tool). What makes his spirit more trustworthy than Max's or Issac's spirits?

Maybe his spirit's been in control the whole time! :tinfoil:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Macaluso posted:

^^^ I think because his bat/spirit was in there

I dunno I'm pretty sure I see an 'R' in the middle there.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Patchwork Shaman posted:

You can't see his eyes, so maybe they're all "I'm possessed" glowy ALL OF THE TIME? :tinfoil:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cthulhuite posted:

You can't see his eyes, so maybe they're all "I'm possessed" glowy ALL OF THE TIME? :tinfoil:

Maybe the 'THE GOVERNMENT' panel really was as glowy as it looks! :tinfoil:

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster

Macaluso posted:

True to form, 4chan ignored this and went to try and decipher it anyway:

Also:

So happy we get two comics a week now.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I think GENUINE DISTRESS is a Homestuck reference. I can't believe how good the faces in this comic are, every week.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

So any idea what the deal with the tiny Mr Starchman in panel 2 is?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Pyradox posted:

So any idea what the deal with the tiny Mr Starchman in panel 2 is?

There's been a little Mr Starchman doll on the couch since they got there.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
So...what would the spirit get out of killing its tools owner? You think that's going to be a problem later on? Could the same thing happen to a someone like Issac?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

scarycave posted:

So...what would the spirit get out of killing its tools owner? You think that's going to be a problem later on? Could the same thing happen to a someone like Issac?

Probably nothing. It's one of those 0.1% chance things, if your spirit is totally batshit.

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

scarycave posted:

A chance to get a different spectral to use their tool? Might be useful if, say, the spectral is under the control of a totally-benevolent organization that just happens to really dislike you and has nasty plans for you once you break out of the tool.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Patchwork Shaman posted:

Nice!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Huh, I was expecting someone more evil/ominous/scary. This guy is just a big goofy lug. :3:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The glasses man, or is it ... the glasses' man?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
It reminds of a eastern style lion - or those big fluffy dog statues.
-and they're kind of talking to each other like a sitcom husband and wife. :allears:

I wonder if all this worlds myths are based off of these spirits - like the sphinx?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I wonder if this spirit is why Isaac is quick to lightning anger? I can see him becoming a completely different person when his fluffy lightning dog leaves. Provided a spirit's container isn't destroyed when the spirit gets back to 100%.

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!

Brannock posted:

Huh, I was expecting someone more evil/ominous/scary. This guy is just a big goofy lug. :3:

I know! He's acting like a big tough jerk, but I can't take him seriously with his adorable fluffy cloud head. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some interesting information in the comments:

Anonymous posted:

There’s a giant hole in the wall.
What happens if Isaac tries to walk out through it, I wonder?

Zack posted:

He’ll walk through the wall.

powertrout posted:

So…
1: If Isaac tried free climb the broken wall behind the spirit to get to the next floor, would he appear to be inside the wall, climbing invisible hand-holds inside the wall?
2: If his spirits version of the room had a big hole in the floor where he was standing when he entered… would he fall through it?
3: Back to Max’s experience (ch1pg20) (kinda both 1 & 2 combined) – If Max stood on the store shelf that’s half-tipped-over in his Spirit’s world, would he appear to float in the real world? and if he climbed the shelf in the real world first, then entered his spirit’s version, would he promptly fall onto the cock-eyed shelf?

Zack posted:

Yes yes and yes. There was a scene I pictured later on where they watch footage (in a sense) of possessed spectrals in the state floating and swimming in air and all kinds of stuff. The basic inspiration for the glowy-eyes stuff and the mussin’ around w/ time were the horror movie tropes of the weird rapid head shake (see Isaac on the last page) and the rapid hallway walk w/ flickering lights (the thought being that possessed people do stuff like that when they’re talking to their spirits). And yes, the obvious exploitations of the rules of this stuff will be utilized by characters in the comic. Mostly Max, ’cause he’s like that. I have some cool stuff planned (Parkour is a lot easier when you can put big piles of junk everywhere/climb a big snake ^^).

Semi-related, this is the most explainy chapter. Ch. 4 is in a few pages and it’s just fun action and ghost busting at a much different pace than this chapter, where I wanted to give out a bunch of information and plant seeds of future plot stuff.

Cool to know!