Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Sludge Tank posted:

sorry to post whore, last ones I promise.

Macquarie Island - Wind Tunnel by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Macquarie Island - Wind Tunnel 2 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

(can I get away with wildlife-landscapes?)

Macquarie Island - Snoozing Elephant Seals by Alex Gard, on Flickr

fun fact: dogs, seals, bears & polar bears are all related.

As far as I'm concerned, you can post whatever you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sludge Tank posted:

last ones I promise.

Don't you dare :mad:

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Sludge Tank posted:

sorry to post whore, last ones I promise.

Post whore more!

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 15, 2013

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Sludge Tank posted:

awesome photos

I saw on your Flickr that these are in a Brenizer Method group. Are they all shot with the Brenizer Method? How do you like it?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
KI really like it. It's quite addicting. I still have a long way to go, I get my inspiration off the other posters revolucion and alien cowboy who showed it to me originally. It's really fun and when you get good results it makes the effort well worth it, but sometimes you look back over some photos and wonder why you didn't just take 'normal' photos sometimes. For me being so amateur I have a pretty low strike rate so I've missed some pretty awesome shots but it's a good learning curve and makes you think a bit harder about composition and requires a bit more forethought.

E: sorry yeah all those are stitched except for the long exposure weather ones

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 16, 2013

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

What aperture are you shooting those at Sludge? One thing that does stick out to me is the heavy foreground blurring in some of the shots.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

EXIFon those is showing like f/1.2 and f/1.8. Great lookin shots duder.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Don't get to shoot digital much these days but today was an exception:

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
removed.

Revolucion fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 29, 2020

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006
A few from recently.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

A panorama I did a while back.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Kujaroth posted:

A few from recently.

This is swell

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

This feels a little underexposed, but it's really sick. I'd love to see a reprocessed version of it. I love the way all the little clouds in the sky mirror all the little trees/shrubs on the ground, if that makes any sense. It feels vast and busy in a really cool way.

IMG_3090 by s-bothun, on Flickr

IMG_2970 by s-bothun, on Flickr

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Kujaroth posted:

A few from recently.

I spot a Canberran. Or at least, someone unfortunate enough to visit.

Clouds Estate by alexbeare, on Flickr

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Very nice.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
It's getting a little browner around here, although we had a bit more snow today.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Sludge Tank posted:

KI really like it. It's quite addicting. I still have a long way to go, I get my inspiration off the other posters revolucion and alien cowboy who showed it to me originally. It's really fun and when you get good results it makes the effort well worth it, but sometimes you look back over some photos and wonder why you didn't just take 'normal' photos sometimes. For me being so amateur I have a pretty low strike rate so I've missed some pretty awesome shots but it's a good learning curve and makes you think a bit harder about composition and requires a bit more forethought.

Killer stuff, dude. I agree on the 'why didn't I just take a normal photo' stance. Every time I go to shoot a panoramic scene, I end up getting lost in the moment and the concept of shooting normally manages to fly completely out the window until I get home, load up Lightroom and wonder what the hell I was thinking. When it works out it's always a blast though. :)

Some 35mm,

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 18, 2013

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

aliencowboy posted:

Killer stuff, dude. I agree on the 'why didn't I just take a normal photo' stance. Every time I go to shoot a panoramic scene, I end up getting lost in the moment and the concept of shooting normally manages to fly completely out the window until I get home, load up Lightroom and wonder what the hell I was thinking. When it works out it's always a blast though. :)

Some 35mm,

drat.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Buy Now by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Pick Up by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
edit: never mind :clint:

joelcamefalling posted:

I spot a Canberran. Or at least, someone unfortunate enough to visit.

Clouds Estate by alexbeare, on Flickr

that looks freakishly like a place near where I grew up... awesome pic

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 19, 2013

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

I really like this one. :)

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Mar 19, 2013

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

This is probably the best photo you have posted on here. I would crop or clone out that bit of road on the bottom as it's too noncommittal to add any tension to the composition.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

8th-samurai posted:

This is probably the best photo you have posted on here. I would crop or clone out that bit of road on the bottom as it's too noncommittal to add any tension to the composition.

This.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

spindrift by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Owns.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
I don't know where this goes...

Southwark London Underground Station. by Clwn, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Verizon by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Gemini by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Many of you have mind blowing shots here. Some of you appear to be like poor me, stuck in the middle of nothing, keep hunting!

My wife and I are taking a little over two week trip out west this year, so I hope to come back with some beautiful shots. Ohio really is the armpit of the US, I am convinced of this after looking at this thread over and over again.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I have no idea what you're talking about, because you can just travel south or east and you're in Appalachia! There is spectacular scenery no more than 200 miles away from any point in Ohio. This is not to say Ohio's not an armpit for other reasons, but still.

You want a challenge, try southern Saskatchewan. And of course, even there is plenty of beauty to be found.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

vote_no posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about, because you can just travel south or east and you're in Appalachia! There is spectacular scenery no more than 200 miles away from any point in Ohio. This is not to say Ohio's not an armpit for other reasons, but still.

You want a challenge, try southern Saskatchewan. And of course, even there is plenty of beauty to be found.

Oh I know there is stuff within a day's drive, I just wish it was a bit closer to home. I will have to renew my passport and head across the border. :)

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Many of you have mind blowing shots here. Some of you appear to be like poor me, stuck in the middle of nothing, keep hunting!

My wife and I are taking a little over two week trip out west this year, so I hope to come back with some beautiful shots. Ohio really is the armpit of the US, I am convinced of this after looking at this thread over and over again.

You can find landscapes anywhere; I hope I was able to demonstrate that during my time in central Illinois.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

mAlfunkti0n posted:

This is the kind of attitude that keeps your photos from being great.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Farmland is sexy, man. Go for a drive and take the back roads with your camera.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

Farmland is sexy, man. Go for a drive and take the back roads with your camera.

Been there, done that. There is nothing interesting about Illinois corn fields. I assume it's the same story in Ohio, and probably every other state that considers itself part of the "midwest." There are certainly some good photos out there, but the scenery isn't enough.. it needs something else, like a storm front, some layered clouds, some snow or people doing things.

It's the worst in the late summer when the corn is too tall to see over the top of. The back roads are basically mile after mile stuck in a tunnel of corn.

Maybe that means I'm a failure as a photographer (in fact I'm sure of it) but these days I leave the camera in the trunk when I'm driving through the state. Get me out west where the mountains start showing up, and you can't pry the camera out of my hands.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

xzzy posted:

Been there, done that. There is nothing interesting about Illinois corn fields. I assume it's the same story in Ohio, and probably every other state that considers itself part of the "midwest." There are certainly some good photos out there, but the scenery isn't enough.. it needs something else, like a storm front, some layered clouds, some snow or people doing things.

It's the worst in the late summer when the corn is too tall to see over the top of. The back roads are basically mile after mile stuck in a tunnel of corn.

Maybe that means I'm a failure as a photographer (in fact I'm sure of it) but these days I leave the camera in the trunk when I'm driving through the state. Get me out west where the mountains start showing up, and you can't pry the camera out of my hands.

You're doing photography wrong.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

xzzy posted:

Bullshit. I can tell you that I've found plenty of photographically interesting things driving around middle of nowhere Illinois. You just have to, you know, look for them.

also

somnambulist posted:

You're doing photography wrong.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At the risk of turning this into a semantics argument, none of those images you linked would be classified as a "landscape". :v:

There are certainly interesting things to photograph in Illinois, but landscapes? Very rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

xzzy posted:

At the risk of turning this into a semantics argument, none of those images you linked would be classified as a "landscape". :v:

There are certainly interesting things to photograph in Illinois, but landscapes? Very rare.

:psyduck: all of them are landscapes. Landscapes are not limited to pictures of the ground. :rolleyes: Please try to think outside of the very tiny box you've put yourself into.

Here are some Illinois landscapes that fit your extremely narrow definition. Try harder.