Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Not at all. I think the more aggressive price-matching tact that the blue shirts are taking is great in the short term but will eat into margin in the long. Could definitely see shorting. Just don't like anecdotal evidence.

Obviously you don't make financial decisions based purely on anecdotal evidence but to completely dismiss the actual experience of going somewhere/using the product is equally shortsighted in my opinion. At least from an ideas generating perspective.

Also on BBY, is there any evidence to suggest price matching actual works (haven't researched this)? Do people take up on these offers in large enough numbers for it to make a difference, even in the short term?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

It broke a major downtrend from September with conviction.

I wouldn't call it that just yet, it has tapped the 50dma before. Though I will say it's been making GBS threads its pants less than usual, and I'll probably be buying soon.. especially if it dips back into the 440s.

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005
So I've got a question that seems like it might fit in here. I mentioned before about how I was interested in Forex trading, and I have been demoing and learning about it for the past 2 months. I wanted to open up a real account to get a feel for how different it would be working with real money and that is when I hit a snag.

Apparently in Alberta, Canada you need to be an Accredited Investor in order to have a retail forex account. The financial requirements are kinda ridiculous such as making over 200k a year or having a net worth over 5 million which i don't meet. I called up the Alberta securties commission and they said what I could do was take the Exempt market securites course through https://www.ifse.ca and then get a job with someone and get registered with them as an advisor/dealer.

Thing is, I have a full time job already, and I'm not interested in actually selling or advising investments to people, I just want my own forex account. Anyone know what kind of job (likely commission based) i would be looking for after doing that course just to get through the hoops of getting myself registered?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You can just tell your broker that you make over $200K. They will let you open the account. Once you have the account open making 200k a year will be easy! There is no way you will lose all your money. Security laws only allow certain securities that don't follow all the reporting rules to be sold to informed investors only, that is why there is a limit because they don't want you to get ripped off. making 200k a year means you would never invest in Madoff or GM or Enron and get swindled out of everything.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

asmallrabbit posted:

So I've got a question that seems like it might fit in here. I mentioned before about how I was interested in Forex trading, and I have been demoing and learning about it for the past 2 months. I wanted to open up a real account to get a feel for how different it would be working with real money and that is when I hit a snag.

Apparently in Alberta, Canada you need to be an Accredited Investor in order to have a retail forex account. The financial requirements are kinda ridiculous such as making over 200k a year or having a net worth over 5 million which i don't meet. I called up the Alberta securties commission and they said what I could do was take the Exempt market securites course through https://www.ifse.ca and then get a job with someone and get registered with them as an advisor/dealer.

Thing is, I have a full time job already, and I'm not interested in actually selling or advising investments to people, I just want my own forex account. Anyone know what kind of job (likely commission based) i would be looking for after doing that course just to get through the hoops of getting myself registered?

You could just move out of Alberta.

scavok
Feb 22, 2005
Looks like gevo, one of my highly speculative stocks, won a critical patent trial. Still might be some upside for when they restart production, which should be very soon. I'll probably buy more if it dips significantly before then :)

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005

koolkal posted:

You could just move out of Alberta.

Sort of considered this, but I like it here. So it is not really an option.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

I knew I should have picked up some VXX when it hit its 52-week low on Friday...

Edit: A tax on bank deposits? They're basically asking for the mother of all bank runs in Greece and Italy. This move is so insane I can only assume that the ECB is now actively trying to crash the Eurozone.

Looks like it's a good thing I didn't do this after all. I was expecting a lot more volatility (or even just selling) due to the Cyprus thing. Maybe the market is just pricing in the prediction that Cyprus and the troika can keep putting off reopening the banks or giving them the bailout indefinitely until the problem just goes away?

Edit: VXX just touched another 52-week low. This totally makes sense, as there is definitely less uncertainty than even a week ago.
Non-sarcastic: I guess I really don't have any idea what's going on here.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 20, 2013

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
Don't feel bad because nobody over there has any idea of what is going on either.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
I haven't bought any stock for over 4 months now expecting a crash, honestly I thought the crazy Republicans would fake try to run the ship aground on funding the government, tax hikes, or sequestration, and Wall Street would freak out and there would be a buying opportunity. Didn't happen. I have resigned to thinking things are slightly overbought, but will stay that way until the market grows into them.

Stoned Sheep
Jun 21, 2010
So... Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae are making me puke out my nostrils...

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=fmcc

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=fnma

:shepicide:

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

asmallrabbit posted:

TBH you probably won't make money trading forex. You mentioned before that you could make a decent amount of money on some ridiculous amount of margin.

It's amazing to see retail investors fall for the same ruses over and over again. Successful investors don't shoot for the moon on margin. They make their 5% a year on safe investments with the bulk of their capital and shoot for the moon with the small portion of their portfolio. Make 5% on your savings with the bulk of your savings. Shoot for 100%+ gains with the rest. Don't flip the equation and think you're going to make out. Don't buy lottery tickets with your bread money.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Foma posted:

I haven't bought any stock for over 4 months now expecting a crash, honestly I thought the crazy Republicans would fake try to run the ship aground on funding the government, tax hikes, or sequestration, and Wall Street would freak out and there would be a buying opportunity. Didn't happen. I have resigned to thinking things are slightly overbought, but will stay that way until the market grows into them.

Yeah I feel you. Been in cash for way too long now, but it still feels like a dumb time to get back in. Thread almost convinced me to pick up some aapl at 430 but I've been skeptical of apple forever and couldn't pull the trigger.

Just holding a little NOK and a bunch of cash. Sigh.

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005

tiananman posted:

TBH you probably won't make money trading forex. You mentioned before that you could make a decent amount of money on some ridiculous amount of margin.

It's amazing to see retail investors fall for the same ruses over and over again. Successful investors don't shoot for the moon on margin. They make their 5% a year on safe investments with the bulk of their capital and shoot for the moon with the small portion of their portfolio. Make 5% on your savings with the bulk of your savings. Shoot for 100%+ gains with the rest. Don't flip the equation and think you're going to make out. Don't buy lottery tickets with your bread money.

I'm really not seeing this at all on my demo account which is why I want to try with a real account and see how it goes. With approx $1000 margin I've been making about 100ish a week fairly consistently when I was originally aiming for an extra 100 a month.

I still have my other investments which are the bulk of my portfolio in my RRSP and TFSA, the money I would be using for Forex is disposable income. I don't see how you think I'm shooting for the moon by opening a starter account with $1000. I'm not expecting to turn that into millions over night. I DO think I will be able to grow that initial capital within a few years to be closer to what my goals would be from it though.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

asmallrabbit posted:

I don't see how you think I'm shooting for the moon by opening a starter account with $1000. I'm not expecting to turn that into millions over night.

I mean yeah, your completely reasonable goal of 300% a year would take 7 whole years to turn $1,000 into $1,000,000.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Droo posted:

I mean yeah, your completely reasonable goal of 300% a year would take 7 whole years to turn $1,000 into $1,000,000.

7 years of successful forex for only $1 million :roflolmao:

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005

Droo posted:

And where did I say that my goal was 300% a year?

Regardless I'm willing to try it and see what my results are. I don't subscribe to the thought that because something is hard or lots of people say it is impossible that you should just give up. I think that stops a lot of people from realizing their full potential. Look at the number of succesful people that have dropped out of high school or gone ahead with their ideas despite being telling them they couldn't or that it wasn't the proper way that ended up being successful.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

asmallrabbit posted:

asmallrabbit posted:

With approx $1000 margin I've been making about 100ish a week fairly consistently when I was originally aiming for an extra 100 a month.

$100 a month on a $1000 account is 10% a month. 10% a month is 300% a year.

Eco RI
Nov 5, 2008

NOM NOM NOM OM NOM

asmallrabbit posted:

Regardless I'm willing to try it and see what my results are. I don't subscribe to the thought that because something is hard or lots of people say it is impossible that you should just give up. I think that stops a lot of people from realizing their full potential. Look at the number of succesful people that have dropped out of high school or gone ahead with their ideas despite being telling them they couldn't or that it wasn't the proper way that ended up being successful.

As soon as you understand complicated topics like compound interest, you'll be unstoppable. Also, past gains are a great predictor of future gains.

On another note, AAPL just went vertical for 5 minutes. With some volume. Did I miss a rumor?

Eco RI fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 21, 2013

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005

Droo posted:

$100 a month on a $1000 account is 10% a month. 10% a month is 300% a year.

And you assume I was going by percent gains instead of what I actually said which was 100 a month, so by the end of the year i would be at 2200 which is 120% not 300.

Eco RI posted:

As soon as you understand complicated topics like compound interest, you'll be unstoppable. Also, past gains are a great predictor of future gains.

I know how compound interest works, thanks. I'm not basing this on past performance for future gains of a market, but what my actual results have been with the trades I have been executing. If you want to jump in just to belittle someone maybe you should be clear you know what you are talking about first.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

asmallrabbit posted:

I'm not basing this on past performance for future gains of a market, but what my actual results have been with the trades I have been executing.

:staredog: You're doing exactly that. Basing your future assumptions on past data.

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005

a lovely poster posted:

:staredog: You're doing exactly that. Basing your future assumptions on past data.

Past data of myself? I know how well I can drive, I know what level I play certain games at, what I can and can't do at work. Why would I expect that to change (barring something medical) other then getting better as I gain experience and learn, or possibly top out.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

asmallrabbit posted:

Past data of myself? I know how well I can drive, I know what level I play certain games at, what I can and can't do at work. Why would I expect that to change (barring something medical) other then getting better as I gain experience and learn, or possibly top out.

Because there have been tons of scientific studies that have shown that past performance is not an indicator of future performance when it comes to investing. Which is why you see that disclaimer everywhere.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Eco RI posted:

On another note, AAPL just went vertical for 5 minutes. With some volume. Did I miss a rumor?
It has done that a few times over the last week or two. I wonder if big funds are dumping their shorts and calling a bottom.

In regards to FOREX, unless you have a friend who works for the Fed board of governors, stay away from it. The foreign exchange markets are for people who want to hedge against much bigger and complex investments. All you are doing with your $1000 is gambling. You will have better odds and more free drinks at the craps table.

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 21, 2013

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

asmallrabbit posted:

Totally not the same and a ridiculous comparison.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Eco RI posted:

Earlier there was a rumor that the DOD was buying 6xx,xxx iOS devices (iPads, ipad minis, iPhones) and ditching blackberry entirely-- then somebody put out an article saying that they're not ditching blackberry entirely (but didn't dispute a large purchase that is incoming when the sequester and budgets are done).

I'd imagine that somebody found out the 600k rumor is actually true because it came hours after the two articles came out.

e:

quote:

The Department of Defense has denied the claims made in Electronista's article, saying that it has no plans to end support for BlackBerry phones. Additionally, the spokesperson said DoD "mobility experts are looking into what has been reported and are not familiar with the figures quoted in that report/article."

So the # may be wrong but they're not disputing a potentially large buying binge.

Could be that some funds are switching over early for window dressing too- but it might be too early for that unless they're expecting something between today and next Friday.

e:e: Still not expecting it to deviate very far though, options are still pointing to 440-450~ for the week.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 21, 2013

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

asmallrabbit posted:

And you assume I was going by percent gains instead of what I actually said which was 100 a month, so by the end of the year i would be at 2200 which is 120% not 300.

I know how compound interest works, thanks. I'm not basing this on past performance for future gains of a market, but what my actual results have been with the trades I have been executing. If you want to jump in just to belittle someone maybe you should be clear you know what you are talking about first.

Uh, 100 return on 1000 invested is 10%. When people annualize returns you make the assumption that you're reinvesting gains. Just because you choose not to reinvest it doesn't mean you get to change how it's calculated. You expect a 300%+ annualized return. That's the kind of stupidity that makes us caution people who invest.

Eco RI
Nov 5, 2008

NOM NOM NOM OM NOM

:cmon:As if even this were a realistic or achievable expectation. I'm just a guy so take this with a grain of salt, but if you're getting these kinds of returns consistently trading forex, you probably shouldn't be posting in an internet comedy forum. Your time would be better spent getting a position at a forex trading desk somewhere.

Eco RI fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 21, 2013

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Forex markets in general are the closest to efficient markets that exist.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Eco RI posted:

Looks like it was your typical contrarian market reaction to a blog post calling the stock stagnant.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Since when is a $3.7 billion market cap movement influence by "insider monkey", the nutjob bandwagon technical analysis blog?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

asmallrabbit posted:

Agreed, I believe if I light my money on fire that I will get more money. People are telling me this isn't true, but they're just trying to get me down with their negative attitudes.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Since when is a $3.7 billion market cap movement influence by "insider monkey", the nutjob bandwagon technical analysis blog?

I was very joking, sorry.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Stoned Sheep posted:

So... Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae are making me puke out my nostrils...

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=fmcc

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=fnma

:shepicide:

I took another look at them today. They were all over the place. Definitely the most Vegas of stocks right now.

asmallrabbit posted:

I don't subscribe to the thought that because something is hard or lots of people say it is impossible that you should just give up. I think that stops a lot of people from realizing their full potential. Look at the number of succesful people that have dropped out of high school or gone ahead with their ideas despite being telling them they couldn't or that it wasn't the proper way that ended up being successful.

That's a bit theatrical, don't you think? You can't expect people not to make comments when you write posts about your overly sanguine expectations.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

asmallrabbit posted:

Look at the number of succesful people that have dropped out of high school or gone ahead with their ideas despite being telling them they couldn't or that it wasn't the proper way that ended up being successful.
Look at the number of people who had a few good months and then lost everything on hubris. (Read: expecting 100%+ returns as somehow normal.)

Come back after you've had a few bad days and the world around you is crumbling.

You should watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIMwMsY0ndo

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
that should be in the OP. i love when he pans over and you can see how bad it is.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Hey, it's not that bad

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Cheesemaster200 posted:

This was because of a CNN iReport. The equivalent of a Reddit post.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 22, 2013

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

koolkal posted:

This was because of a CNN iReport. The equivalent of a Reddit post.

The Dow was down like 500 points in that span also. Not exactly rational markets

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

koolkal posted:

I'm not arguing the loss leader model, I'm saying it seems pretty silly to dedicate 25% of the store to just that. Are 25% of their sales coming solely from TV accessories? I find that pretty unlikely. They don't need literally >20 big-screen TVs as display models.

TVs are flat. They put them up against the wall. They don't really take up that much space.

Also, they're great for getting people in the door. I don't ever buy anything at best buy, but when I was looking for a new TV with my girl, first thing we did was just go look at TVs in best buy, 'just for fun'. If I were the type of person who bought music in a store, maybe I would have left with an album. Or if I were the type of person who bought cellphone accessories, maybe I would have left with some $20 screen protectors or some bullshit. hell, I do think I bought a bottle of water or something. Just sayin, I don't think bright shiny TVs that make noise and try to get your attention are a bad decision for like 5-10% of the square footage of your store space. (I know what you mean, it seems like 25% because it's a quarter of the store, but that also houses things like TV cables, receivers, vinyl record players, bookshelf speaker stands, etc etc.)

god why am I defending best buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Ok, I'm back on the aapl wagon, just a bit. AGNC is making me more cash than aapl ever has.