Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomniumObmutum
Jul 23, 2007

The more smug foxes the better I always say.

SynthOrange posted:

poo poo and sleep at your desk. Forget showers. Never stop working on comics.

This isn't Wushu! But yeah, people who whine about not getting their free entertainment are awful.

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

It makes me want to see a City Face noir detective comic for some reason...
This would be an okay thing I would be 100% okay with. City Face is a notorious loose cannon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Quinton posted:

Sadly there are some who complain about this non-jokingly. Kinda unbelievable really.

https://twitter.com/gunnerkrigg/status/313345285004869632

wtf...

The best part is since this comic is on a 3 month buffer they are bitching about Tom taking two weeks off for Christmas.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Oachkatzlschwoaf posted:

Culminating in a comic by Boxbot.

Boxbot's comic would be genuinely hilarious with lineart worthy of the greatest masters; but in-universe everybody would find it terrible.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I'm not even sure this represents an actual break by Tom, past, present, or future. Just because he builds a little pause-and-reflect time in between books doesn't necessarily mean he's actually taking advantage of it to NOT be a comic-producing machine.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

Quinton posted:

Sadly there are some who complain about this non-jokingly. Kinda unbelievable really.

https://twitter.com/gunnerkrigg/status/313345285004869632

wtf...

I saw this on Twitter last night and it made me so mad. I do online projects all the time and have been since the nineties. I love doing the 365-day kind and I'm on my third one now. I mostly do it for family and friends to read along with but I do end up with a small audience of people I don't know and people who stumble across the projects from time to time due to Google searches. I only do it for fun; there's never ads or sponsorship or anything involved. Non-professional, all casual.

And yet from time to time I get someone who (usually anonymously) complains because I don't always update at the same time every day or that I'm not being funny enough or taking it seriously enough. I just ignore it because I'm not getting paid so I don't have to impress anyone but for someone like Tom who is so precise with schedule and giving readers tons of information about what's going on with him and the comic it must be galling.

Kris Straub is another one who's made me think twice about what I'm doing with my creative content. His troubles maintaining control of Candle Cove made me decide to discontinue a serial novel I was posting online. Not that I think it's any great shakes or that it's worth stealing but I guess if I want my content to remain my content I have to be more careful about how I make it available.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

The best part is since this comic is on a 3 month buffer they are bitching about Tom taking two weeks off for Christmas.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I may have misunderstood, but is this person criticising Tom for the two-week break that we're having now?

In which someone who is clearly Tom has drawn nearly double the number of comics he usually does, just in a somewhat lower-effort style?

Wut?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

thespaceinvader posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, I may have misunderstood, but is this person criticising Tom for the two-week break that we're having now?

In which someone who is clearly Tom has drawn nearly double the number of comics he usually does, just in a somewhat lower-effort style?

Wut?

Behold internet comments they are terrible and dumb.

e: Also I wonder if we will get a Jones comic.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'm just trying to work out how many of these we'll get - if next week is something different, that's cool, but if not, I kind o run out of major characters and start wondering whether we'll get some minor characters' input.

Annie, Kat, Parley, Mighty Eyebrows Boy!, Mort, Robot, Shadow, Red maybe (a Red comic would be awesomesauce) etc etc. Should be a good fortnight.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?

Tea-san posted:

Nah, there will be 10 guest strips drawn by the characters!

These will indeed be going for the next two weeks.

I agree with whoever said Janet and Winsbury need to have comics, they are master storytellers.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Watch Week 1 be 5 incredibly simplistic comics, and then Week 2 be a bunch of single-page epics from Jones, Coyote, Janet, Winsbury, and Zimmy (+Gamma)

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
A Jones comic would be interesting, I always assumed with no imagination she also has no creativity. Maybe she would draw something she actually saw happen? City Face the Pigeon is Fed by Paz Cadena-Blanco and then Visited by Katerina Donlan, a short comic by Jones.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Oachkatzlschwoaf posted:

Culminating in a comic by Boxbot.

Boxbot will draw something amazing that's still considered terrible. The first comic in 2 weeks is going to be in media res with Kat saying "...I still can't believe Boxbot tried to get his drawing into that school paper contest".

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

Idunn posted:

A Jones comic would be interesting, I always assumed with no imagination she also has no creativity. Maybe she would draw something she actually saw happen? City Face the Pigeon is Fed by Paz Cadena-Blanco and then Visited by Katerina Donlan, a short comic by Jones.

This, but not even drawn. It will be a documentary series of photographs of pigeons.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Idunn posted:

The 3,654th Time a Bird Mussed My Hair, by Jones.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

Idunn posted:

"Pigeons on the Grass Alas", lavishly illustrated.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Idunn posted:

And it would be drawn in a minimalist style consisting of solely lines, rectangles, and circles to boot.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Idunn posted:

A Jones "comic" would be a scientifically accurate illustration of pigeons.
http://scientificillustration.tumblr.com/tagged/pigeon

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Oh hey look it's Boxbot.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Well that is just the worst video I have ever seen. Truly, it is Boxbot.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh god, that's the Assistant I used to have on my Office.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Looks more like Robox to me. :colbert:

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 20, 2013

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

If I didn't see the related videos I would have assumed Bonzi Buddy.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
And Renard puts the girls to shame. Art-wise, at least; punchline could use some work. (Text below the comic is also hilarious. Oh Renard.)

I remember those from the computers at my school. I used the logo one because I liked it being a weird floating puzzle thing.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
PIGEONS

ARE

THE NINETY-NINE PERCENT

Cute that Rey wanted it to be a surprise.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Reynard's reminds me of a really old political cartoon from around the turn of the century.

I wonder if we'll get a note about why everyone is doing fun City Face jokes/drawings. Like are they having a contest, just goofing around?

Regardless, its always fun to get a little bit of insight into everyone's sense of humor.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
GC's holiday filler is a million times better than most webcomics at their best.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt
Renard's a pretty good artist for a guy with no thumbs.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Are the cityface comics and other filler art included in any of the printed books? If not, a set of convention-only mini comics of them would probably sell like hot cakes.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Sin of Onan posted:

And a fist full of lockpicks to boot.

derailed
Apr 3, 2004

As seen in your dreams!

The Sin of Onan posted:

He can make thumbs appear when appropriate.

Fatkraken posted:

Are the cityface comics and other filler art included in any of the printed books? If not, a set of convention-only mini comics of them would probably sell like hot cakes.

The first City Face comic is included in volume 2 and the second City Face comic is included in volume 3.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Zore posted:

Reynard's reminds me of a really old political cartoon from around the turn of the century.

I wonder if we'll get a note about why everyone is doing fun City Face jokes/drawings. Like are they having a contest, just goofing around?

Regardless, its always fun to get a little bit of insight into everyone's sense of humor.

Maybe they're all really into the new City Face movie.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

WrightOfWay posted:

Maybe they're all really into the new City Face movie.
If Tom ever gets the backing to make a Hollywood movie, I want the first movie he makes to be about City Face.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1171

There's yer lines and boxes.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Robot's pigeon is the best pigeon and it would make for an amazing pigeon avatar.

Shadow's pigeon has character.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
:3: Robot's pigeon is adorable.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

toxic8aker posted:

:3: Robot's pigeon is adorable.

:3:

Seeds taste better with friends. :)

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

Zore posted:

Yeah, like something from Punch. Between his refined humor and his tea parties, it seems Reynardine is a thoughtful gentleman.

SomniumObmutum
Jul 23, 2007

The more smug foxes the better I always say.

DNA Cowboys posted:

Between his refined humor and his tea parties, it seems Reynardine is a thoughtful gentleman.

Hmm.

This is actually something that makes me think on occasion, Reynardine's shift from being willing to kill Annie for his freedom to her defender and confidant. His incarnation post possession attempt is wonderful (see avatar!) and I strongly suspect that there is a storyline focused on his thought processes regarding his realignment at some point in the future. Its another one of those mysteries that I'm waiting to see solved. Maybe it just bothers me on some level that his willingness to shift so radically comes from his attachment to Surma, but on the other hand I myself have been willing to take a side just based on a friendship in several real life situations so perhaps its not that strange after all.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I think it had to do with Renard being a bit crazy and desperate from being imprisoned. Also the theory that he was aiming for the doll in the first place. Renard back before he had the body swap power was said to be fond of humans and friends with them even before falling in love with Surma, but the Court saw him as a threat because Coyote wanted to make him as powerful as himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

This would be great if it had a transparent background instead, and flipped back its original way. Would make for a rad avatar.