Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
For the second time this week I've had to reset the SMC in my 1 month old rMBP. Tonight it was because the wifi started running poorly and earlier it was due to poor graphic performance. Now I'm really concerned because I never had to do this with my MBA. What should I so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Go on eBay and try to find an OEM 256GB SSD from either a 2010 or 2011 Air - the 2012 changed and isn't backward-compatible.

You can also buy one from OWC.

I've got a 256 in here now. :(

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

^^^ $680 for a 480 GB drive from OWC, ouch.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

For the second time this week I've had to reset the SMC in my 1 month old rMBP. Tonight it was because the wifi started running poorly and earlier it was due to poor graphic performance. Now I'm really concerned because I never had to do this with my MBA. What should I so?

Did you upgrade to 10.8.3 yet?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 18, 2013

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Binary Badger posted:

Did you upgrade to 10.8.3 yet?

I did, earlier this week, along with the SMC update.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

SourKraut posted:

But you can still try resetting PRAM can't you? I thought the steps to resetting PRAM simply involved shutting down, starting up, and immediately holding Command, Option, P, and R at the same time. If it's done right after you hit power it should occur prior to the light grey screen begins to start the loading step.

Just start holding the buttons down before you press the power button. No need to turn it into a race.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I think it's finally time to address my bulging battery. What is the best way to get a new battery? It's an early 2009 white macbook, so it's not under warranty or anything.... Is there somewhere I should buy one online? Or should I just go into the apple store? How much is it likely to cost me?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

super fart shooter posted:

I think it's finally time to address my bulging battery. What is the best way to get a new battery? It's an early 2009 white macbook, so it's not under warranty or anything.... Is there somewhere I should buy one online? Or should I just go into the apple store? How much is it likely to cost me?

Go to the apple store and act conserved and they may just swap it.

We had them repair a 17" pro out of warranty cause a bulging battery damaged the motherboard.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Joey Vaporwave posted:

Ty dude! I just didn't do that and don't have an apple id. It's my only apple thing. Can I just drop it off at an APPLE STORE?
They're going to want the serial number. If they have that, your option is a whole-unit swap for a hundred or so bucks.

Do you have the box? The serial would be on that.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Don Lapre posted:

Go to the apple store and act conserved and they may just swap it.

We had them repair a 17" pro out of warranty cause a bulging battery damaged the motherboard.

They repaired it because it damaged the machine. If there is no damage to the machine, then there will be no free repairs or batteries unless you find someone super nice.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

1997 posted:

They repaired it because it damaged the machine. If there is no damage to the machine, then there will be no free repairs or batteries unless you find someone super nice.

I don't know about bulging batteries, but when I brought in my 2010 unibody out of warranty with the bottom aluminum plate distorted because of heat, they told me it was a "known issue" and just flat out replaced it.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Ursine Asylum posted:

I don't know about bulging batteries, but when I brought in my 2010 unibody out of warranty with the bottom aluminum plate distorted because of heat, they told me it was a "known issue" and just flat out replaced it.

Yeah some things get repaired under quality programs for known issues.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
For what it's worth I just recently did the 320gb upgrade from OWC for my 2010 Air and am extremely happy with it. For an extra $30 or so you get a snazzy little enclosure that matches the form factor of the Air to turn your old SSD into an external drive.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

1997 posted:

Yeah some things get repaired under quality programs for known issues.

Yeah I believe for the battery bulge problem Apple offered a repair and replacement program.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

Just start holding the buttons down before you press the power button. No need to turn it into a race.

Neither I nor the genius could get any sort of response from any of the keyboard commands. They checked it in for a full hardware diagnostic. I should find out what actually happened in a few days.

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)
I'm about to get a late 2006 MacBook that's in good condition for cheap. It's a 2ghz C2D with 2 gigs of ram running Snow Leopard.

How well will it do basic tasks like watching a Youtube or posting on SA?
I also plan to use programs like Pages and Skype.

Can I expect decent performance on this thing?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

I'm about to get a late 2006 MacBook that's in good condition for cheap. It's a 2ghz C2D with 2 gigs of ram running Snow Leopard.

The HDD is going to be your biggest bottleneck. If you replace that with a semi-recent SSD, it'll be a pretty good computer. Otherwise, you'll do a lot of waiting. It may be able to hold 6GB of RAM. Youtube will be fine but don't expect smooth performance on highest-bitrate HD. With an SSD I was able to edit 720p footage in After Effects and FCPX though. Forget 3D games for the most part unless you like to stretch 1024x768 on lowest settings from like 2008 backwards.

Edit: it may be worth cleaning out the fans and applying fresh heatsink compound if you want it to last.

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)
Apparently, it has a 350gb 7200 rpm drive already in it, replacing the slower stock drive.

I don't want to spend too much money on this thing, DDR2 is pretty cheap but a decent sized SSD is not. I could always throw one of those 60gb SSDs in it though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

It can probably only take 2GB, maybe 3GB of RAM. The GMA 950 graphics is your biggest problem, it'll play most Youtube but the fans will fire up and it might stutter.

MY GIRLFRIEND has an early 2007 that she insists is fine and won't let me replace it with a 2011+, she mostly watches videos, goes on forums, and buys the gently caress out of stuff on Amazon with it all day. And that's with the lovely 250GB HD I put in it, I'll eventually throw a 120GB SSD in there when I find one for $50.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

If you are getting it super cheap then sure. Otherwise its pretty outdated at this point and software may drop snow leopard support in the future.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Don Lapre posted:

If you are getting it super cheap then sure.

Like $200 or so.

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

Which is how much I'm getting it for. I almost bought a iBook G4 for a hundred dollars before I saw this deal.

The snow iBooks look so awesome, I wish they kept that design.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Look what some guy did on Macrumors

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I had to check iFixIt to be sure but yup, those are fan vents. There is no way that doesn't completely gently caress airflow in the case. :psypop:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Cut some holes and covered them up? What does this do?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What is it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

IUG posted:

Cut some holes and covered them up? What does this do?

Cooling vents. He used speaker covers or some poo poo.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

That guy needs to go back to PCs

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Haggins posted:

That guy needs to go back to PCs
Why? Someone can both like Apple products and want to customize them to suit their needs.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Oneiros posted:

I had to check iFixIt to be sure but yup, those are fan vents. There is no way that doesn't completely gently caress airflow in the case. :psypop:

Yep, because now instead of pulling hot air drawn from all areas of the interior, cool air will only come in from those huge loving holes. Heat will just pool up in all the other places.

It's supereffectiveretarded.

edit:

IN HIS OWN WORDS: (emphasis added mine)

MacRumours Forum Pohster posted:

My one concern is that Apple is infinitely better at thermal engineering than I am, and my tampering with the case seems to have significantly changed other cooling characteristics. Pre-modded, the rear heated up evenly, and only on the back. Now, the whole left side of my Macbook Pro heats up (front where the the speakers are, back where the ports are) while the right side generally stays fine. I'll probably burn some component out sooner than normal, but I had fun at the least.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 19, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SourKraut posted:

Why? Someone can both like Apple products and want to customize them to suit their needs.
Because all he did was make it worse.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

SourKraut posted:

There's customizing to suit your needs, and then there's thinking you know how to manage temperatures in a laptop better than Apple engineers.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

cbirdsong posted:

There's customizing to suit your needs, and then there's thinking you know how to manage temperatures in a laptop better than Apple engineers.

The whole thing is a heatsink guys, I'm pretty sure the fans aren't really necessary. Dude probably even gets an extra 5 minutes of battery life without all those garbage fans sucking up energy too. Sarcasm.. just in case it wasn't obvious

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Because all he did was make it worse.
Yeah in a lot of circumstances I could see where making modifications could make things worse. I was more just commenting that someone shouldn't have to simply "go back to PCs" just because they want to modify an Apple product. An old roommate of mine had a 1st gen Apple TV that always ran hot and that he had to have replaced multiple times due to thermal issues. He finally modded it to have a 120mm fan helping to cool it and while it certainly tarnished the aesthetics it never had any additional thermal issues

In the above case though with the MBP yeah, I'd question the self-engineering.

cbirdsong posted:

Engineers aren't infallible - ask Microsoft how those 360 failures due to improper design went.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
At least the part he destroyed (both functionally and aesthetically) is cheap to replace. I hope that poo poo blows up though before he changes his mind. I'm also missing the fun part here. You cut 2 circles in a piece of metal then stuck really ugly speaker grates over it. SOUNDS LIKE A BLAST!!!

I knew the fans were in that location. Without any context I was previously hoping he swapped them out for Beats By Dre.

benisntfunny fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 20, 2013

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I have a Mid 2009 MBP that's already has 8GB of RAM and a 500 GB 7200RPM HD. I know that my MBP is SATA II max and a SATA III should be backwards compatible, but would it be overkill to pick up a Samsung 840 Pro?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

JayKay posted:

I have a Mid 2009 MBP that's already has 8GB of RAM and a 500 GB 7200RPM HD. I know that my MBP is SATA II max and a SATA III should be backwards compatible, but would it be overkill to pick up a Samsung 840 Pro?

Yes it would. Go for a cheaper drive.

The only reason this would be worthwhile is if you planned on replacing the laptop soon with another one that takes 2.5" laptop drives.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 19, 2013

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

No, that HDD is nowhere near fast enough to saturate SATA II. You'll see a massive increase.

EDIT: Well I mean SSDs in general, perhaps that particular model would be a bit much.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

benisntfunny posted:

At least the part he destroyed (but functionally and aesthetically) is cheap to replace. I hope that poo poo blows up though before he changes his mind. I'm also missing the fun part here. You cut 2 circles in a piece of metal then stuck really ugly speaker grates over it. SOUNDS LIKE A BLAST!!!

I knew the fans were in that location. Without any context I was previously hoping he swapped them out for Beats By Dre.

Yeah, some people have a really mystifying sense of fun.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Don Lapre posted:

Yes it would. Go for a cheaper drive.

The only reason this would be worthwhile is if you planned on replacing the laptop soon with another one that takes 2.5" laptop drives.

FWIW, I'm looking at a 250/256 GB drive, not a 500 GB drive. This is probably encroaching on the SSD megathread, but would a new Crucial M4 or a Samsung 840 (non pro) be wise? I know the M4 had firmware issues but seem to be fixed now, and the 840 non pro should be sufficent since I really don't need the throughput of the Pro and it falls under the 250 GB+/shouldn't be affected by the TLC NAND.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

JayKay posted:

FWIW, I'm looking at a 250/256 GB drive, not a 500 GB drive. This is probably encroaching on the SSD megathread, but would a new Crucial M4 or a Samsung 840 (non pro) be wise? I know the M4 had firmware issues but seem to be fixed now, and the 840 non pro should be sufficent since I really don't need the throughput of the Pro and it falls under the 250 GB+/shouldn't be affected by the TLC NAND.
I figure you might as well. Haven't checked prices in a while but last I looked it seemed like buying older drives didn't really save you much since they were more expensive (cause the more expensive flash) and/or the newer drives were cheaper (cause the cheaper flash). I remember someone saying the 840 worked at SATA I speeds in that computer (mentioned in the OP), although I wouldn't really care considering the speed difference over a platter drive even being capped off at that, assuming that was the only issue with it.