Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

SouthLAnd posted:

Ford Ecoboost: Horsepower of a V8/V6, fuel economy of a V6/I4!

(Neither of these have proven to be true unless you go strictly by the super accurate and never ridiculous EPA ratings).

It's not true according to the EPA either. Certainly the 1.6l turbo isn't even competetive with the larger 2.4-2.5l NA 4s, plus the turbo engine is an option that you have to pay for, while the others are base engines.

The 2.0l turbo is barely more efficient than the 3.5l V6s, keeping in mind it's substantially down on power compared to the absurdly powerful Nissan and Honda V6s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
You guys are such Debbie Downers, clearly they're just giving the engine a temporary home while they put the finishing touches on the new Fiero

Re: Chevy SS, while I wouldn't put it past GM management to think it, there'd be something awful sad to say about Caddy brand image if GM was seriously worried about a Chevy poaching their customers.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh no, the new Bently SUV is literally just going to be a rebadged Touareg.

Will there ever be a day when VW finally runs out of brand equity to throw into the fire?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Throatwarbler posted:

Will there ever be a day when VW finally runs out of brand equity to throw into the fire?

They're becoming GM so fast.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

Isn't the Continental just a rebadged Phaeton?

The nice part about über-luxury brands like Bentley, Maserati, and Rolls-Royce is that you don't really have to worry about running out of brand capital. Somebody buying a Bentley isn't really cross-shopping a Benz or Cadillac.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Not quite. It shares the platform and the W12 engine, which is n/a in the Phaeton and twin-turbo in the Bentleys.

All of the interior etc. is unique to the Bentley and presumably of higher quality, although I haven't had the chance to sit in either of them.

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

Cocoa Crispies posted:

That's not an insult at all, really. The Phaeton is a lovely car. That said, they certainly do enough to differentiate the brands. The Bentley's interior materials are on a completely different scale. The TT W12 is a torrent of power versus the 4.2 V8 and the 6.0 W12 in the Phaeton. The experience is pretty vastly different.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

KozmoNaut posted:

Not quite. It shares the platform and the W12 engine, which is n/a in the Phaeton and twin-turbo in the Bentleys.

All of the interior etc. is unique to the Bentley and presumably of higher quality, although I haven't had the chance to sit in either of them.

I have, and you're right. The Phaeton is a nicely trimmed Passat on the inside with unique body panels and the W12/Bentley platform. The Bentleys are bespoke with much better interiors and twin turbo. Similar on paper, drastically different in the flesh.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Phaeton has one massive benefit, though.

I'm talking about the ridiculous depreciation because it's a luxury car with a VW badge. You can get into a V8 one for cheap and probably score a decent deal on a W12, or even a V10 TDI if you're not in the US. You'd be getting an absolutely amazingly good car, better than an Audi A8 for less money. I'm not a VW fan by any stretch, but it's probably one of the most well-made and all-round greatest automobiles ever made, and definitely the best to ever wear the VW badge.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
How reliable is the V8?

Because you're right, the prices on those things are crazy low for what they are. Two of the ones in my area (with around 100k mi each) are under $15,000, and another with 58k mi on it is going for $25,000.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I thought the maintenance costs on them were obscene, though?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's the same engine as in the Audi B6 and B7 S4, which I have pretty much only heard good things about, apart from possible issues with carbon buildup on the back of the valves, due to direct injection.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_petrol_engines#4.2_V8_40v_246-260kW

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Didn't somebody post a ridiculous tire change procedure one time?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What I always find interesting is that the W12 is actually shorter than the V8, but it's a very... boxy engine. It's kind of like it was grown from seed in a two-and-a-half foot cube container, and it's expanded to fill all the available space.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

It's the same engine as in the Audi B6 and B7 S4, which I have pretty much only heard good things about, apart from possible issues with carbon buildup on the back of the valves, due to direct injection.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_petrol_engines#4.2_V8_40v_246-260kW

Except for $4-6k labor costs when your timing chain guides wear and require the engine to be pulled.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

DropShadow posted:

Except for $4-6k labor costs when your timing chain guides wear and require the engine to be pulled.

A note for the uninitiated: This is the firewall end of the motor.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Fucknag posted:

A note for the uninitiated: This is the firewall end of the motor.
:stare:

how many miles does that typically happen at?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

DropShadow posted:

Ia! Ia! Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Winterkorn Ingolstadt wgah'nagl fhtagn!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

DropShadow posted:

Now you think about it, timing belts aren't really that bad.

Seriously VAG come up with some poo poo engineering ideas. I guess we all know what happened all the engineers who worked for Rover and Austin went to after those companies went belly up

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

DropShadow posted:

Uh well yeah, there's that tiny little issue as well.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Somehow VAG always manage to have the most repair procedures that begin with "Step 1: Remove Engine".

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

DropShadow posted:

I've used that image to convince a few people a used V8 S4 is a terrible idea. It is mind boggling that they'd do that kind of design. That's 1st year rookie level bullshit.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Guinness posted:

Somehow VAG always manage to have the most repair procedures that begin with "Step 1: Remove Engine".

Normally due to Audi's Quattro setup, with the engine infront of the front axel basically so everything is jammed forward.

This is how you get access to the timing belt in a B5 A4...

loving blows.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Wasn't there an apocalyptic movie with the heroine driving around in a Bentley? When I saw that I was like, yeah fuckin right. Unless you swapped a XJ drivetrain in there.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

You Am I posted:

Now you think about it, timing belts aren't really that bad.

Seriously VAG come up with some poo poo engineering ideas. I guess we all know what happened all the engineers who worked for Rover and Austin went to after those companies went belly up

Crustashio posted:

I've used that image to convince a few people a used V8 S4 is a terrible idea. It is mind boggling that they'd do that kind of design. That's 1st year rookie level bullshit.

I posted about this in some other thread, but there's a perfectly good reason why it's done that way? The way Audi/Phaeton/Bentley drive train is set up puts all the weight forward of the front axle and they need to make it so that as much weight as possible sits as far back as possible to improve the poor polar moment of inertia. Timing chains shouldn't need service anyway, just because they might have had a defective part in there doesn't make it a bad design.

I'd be more concerned on the new Audis about how they've taken that engine, also reversed the direction of the airflow on the heads and jammed 2 turbos plus the intercooler on top of the exhaust manifold in the valley of the V.

The black plastic runners in the front are the intake tract. Again I get the point of this and I can see the advantages, and the turbos and stuff are even easier to access for all the VAG drivers who apparently love taking their cars apart so much. But man they must have done a lot of work making sure that everything on top there will stand up to the heat of being cheek and jowel with the exhaust. It's a 4.0l engine putting out 500+ hp too, with every bell and whistle - direct injection, cylinder deactivation, infinitely variable valve timing and lift, etc. so you know that nothing on that engine that isn't high-strung.

kimbo305 posted:

Wasn't there an apocalyptic movie with the heroine driving around in a Bentley? When I saw that I was like, yeah fuckin right. Unless you swapped a XJ drivetrain in there.

Yeah, I saw half of it before giving up, to be fair it was set in Britain, so presumably they managed to find enough undead mechanics to keep it running.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, it was called Doomsday. It also featured cannibalistic outlaws dancing the can-can (with the music) while burning people alive.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I'm going to show my partner the Audi engine pics.... she wants to get an RS4/6/something and holy gently caress the service bills would be spastic. No thanks

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Guinness posted:

That was what happened with my VR6 GTI, when the timing chain tensioners wore and the chain slipped. A month of carpooling and $4600 later, it ran like a champ again.

Unique engines are super cool, but they are super complicated most of the time.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I guess that's just the state of modern high-end cars, engineer them so they're absolutely brilliant in every way. Until the lease/warranty runs out, then any procedure more complicated than an oil change means it's off to the auction lot or scrap heap.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Timing chains shouldn't need service anyway, just because they might have had a defective part in there doesn't make it a bad design.

The timing chain is a lifetime item. The plastic timing chain pad tensioners on the heads are wear items. They're also wedged against the firewall and require dropping the engine to get too.

Sometimes those plastic timing chain guard bake themselves enough to get brittle and crack too. The slogan is more like Vorsprung durch hurensohn.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 20, 2013

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

SouthLAnd posted:

Heated seats are not a rarity in cars these days, and ventilated seats that shoot that cool air up your crack and backside are also becoming more common. Mercedes-Benz though has added a new seat feature in their new S-Class. Reversing fans!

I can only assume this is some new technology aimed at taking the joy out of ripping one in your car and watching in delight as your passengers twist around in disgust.

Some beautiful new S-Class interior pictures and info here.

e:

The right most button is labeled "R" for reversing fan. Or "Fart Fan" as it should be referred to as from now on.

That is frickin' gorgeous looking. Oooooooohhhh....

EDIT: Is this a new thing where more cars seem to prefer a 4 seater than a 5 with the center thing running all the way to the back? Like the Panamera or CLS?

Gatts fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 20, 2013

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

SouthLAnd posted:

Heated seats are not a rarity in cars these days, and ventilated seats that shoot that cool air up your crack and backside are also becoming more common. Mercedes-Benz though has added a new seat feature in their new S-Class. Reversing fans!

I can only assume this is some new technology aimed at taking the joy out of ripping one in your car and watching in delight as your passengers twist around in disgust.

Some beautiful new S-Class interior pictures and info here.

e:

The right most button is labeled "R" for reversing fan. Or "Fart Fan" as it should be referred to as from now on.

Does this mean that, if you want to smoke with the windows up, it will suck the smoke out of the cabin for you? That could end up being really popular in cold climates with smokers (and Mercedes, unlike many other automakers, actually provides well-located ashtrays for passengers).

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Gatts posted:

EDIT: Is this a new thing where more cars seem to prefer a 4 seater than a 5 with the center thing running all the way to the back? Like the Panamera or CLS?

The Panamera is packaged in such a way that the drivetrain impinges on the cabin quite a bit; there was no way it could ever have been a five-seater. Beyond that, the Chinese use cars like this as limos and would rather not have the middle seat.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

MrChips posted:

The Panamera is packaged in such a way that the drivetrain impinges on the cabin quite a bit; there was no way it could ever have been a five-seater. Beyond that, the Chinese use cars like this as limos and would rather not have the middle seat.

It might be different for Panameras but most Chinese cars are not Panameras, they are FWD Audis with 5 seats.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Gatts posted:

Most S Classes had four seater options for a few models now. You can still get five seat in S Class

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

D C posted:

Normally due to Audi's Quattro setup, with the engine infront of the front axel basically so everything is jammed forward.

This is how you get access to the timing belt in a B5 A4...

loving blows.

That picture is a little deceiving; putting a B5 into service mode is pretty straight-forward and only takes 30-45 minutes (probably much less with experience) and the benefit is that you have all the room that you need to work. I'd rather do a timing belt job on a Passat than a Jetta.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Throatwarbler posted:

It might be different for Panameras but most Chinese cars are not Panameras, they are FWD Audis with 5 seats.

A4L yo

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

I posted about this in some other thread, but there's a perfectly good reason why it's done that way? The way Audi/Phaeton/Bentley drive train is set up puts all the weight forward of the front axle and they need to make it so that as much weight as possible sits as far back as possible to improve the poor polar moment of inertia. Timing chains shouldn't need service anyway, just because they might have had a defective part in there doesn't make it a bad design.

I'd be more concerned on the new Audis about how they've taken that engine, also reversed the direction of the airflow on the heads and jammed 2 turbos plus the intercooler on top of the exhaust manifold in the valley of the V.

The black plastic runners in the front are the intake tract. Again I get the point of this and I can see the advantages, and the turbos and stuff are even easier to access for all the VAG drivers who apparently love taking their cars apart so much. But man they must have done a lot of work making sure that everything on top there will stand up to the heat of being cheek and jowel with the exhaust. It's a 4.0l engine putting out 500+ hp too, with every bell and whistle - direct injection, cylinder deactivation, infinitely variable valve timing and lift, etc. so you know that nothing on that engine that isn't high-strung.

Yeah, I saw half of it before giving up, to be fair it was set in Britain, so presumably they managed to find enough undead mechanics to keep it running.

Ford has done this with their 6.7 diesel as well, although with their witchcraft dual compressor turbo instead of twin turbos. Considering the guys who chipped them up to 425whp/825wft/lbs strait out of the box aren't having issues, i wouldn't be all that worried about that cute little audi engine.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

There are at least 3 Panameras in the neighbourhood where I currently live, at least 2 of them in this weird puke green. They are much uglier in person than they are in photos, if that's possible to imagine.

Powershift posted:

Ford has done this with their 6.7 diesel as well, although with their witchcraft dual compressor turbo instead of twin turbos. Considering the guys who chipped them up to 425whp/825wft/lbs strait out of the box aren't having issues, i wouldn't be all that worried about that cute little audi engine.

Yep, it's actually the ideal way to do turbocharging on a V8, because it allows the exhaust from both heads to feed both turbos. The problem is that exhaust temps for a gasoline engine are usually 2x that of a diesel, and the gas engine is making more power with almost 40% less displacement. The Ford also at least has the intercooler mounted somewhere else, the Audi intercooler looks like it's 4 inches away from the turbos and exhaust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Guinness posted:

Doesn't one of the old Passat models have some sensor that likes to fail that requires you to drop the engine?

I still remember seeing a b5 S4 in the shop for new turbos for the first time. You'd be shocked to learn that the engine was not in the car.