Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

DrProsek posted:

For first timers, I feel both HoI2 and 3 are nigh impenetrable in terms of finding out what you need to build, what you should research, how to balance your research vs construction vs officers vs espionage, etc. I've even tried just playing as any country and losing a bunch to slowly learn what to do but I can never figure out what it is that caused me to lose; did I not build enough? Behind on research? Espionage more? Or was this just doomed to fail?

Personally I feel that the custom gamemode can really help with getting to grips with those kinds of tradeoffs, just do multiple starts as a minor nation in 1940 or so and look at how for example your research decisions play out.

quote:

I still have no idea if I at what point I need to stop building up IC or when I need to research infantry tech or if I need bombers or tanks or cavalry or what, but at least I navigate the menus to a game over screen easier :v:.

Build up your IC if you've got production to spare and if the game's ending is still far enough away to be able to recoup the costs (and take your resource income into account: divide energy by 2, metal by one and rare resources by .5, whichever number is the lowest should be your max 'available' IC). Infantry is the backbone of your military 95% of the time so research their hardware and doctrines first while providing ample officers to raise their effectiveness. Things like bombers and espionage are nice to have, but not absolutely essential. Tanks are for breakthroughs and a general force multiplier if you're fighting a big war (Eastern Front, later years) and cavalry is a cheap anti-rebel/low tech roving force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Can someone refresh my memory if Vic1/Ricky's warscore system also needs you to occupy the Home Islands just to get Britain to release some land?

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Kavak posted:

Fully agreed- in fact, I'm pretty sure you're the guy I saw make those points and get threatened with the ban hammer in very bad English. I know this is kind of petty especially in regards to how legislatures in the rest of the world are presented, but I also think the modders don't know that much about the structure of the U.S. government- most of the programs that Long or Reed push would be filibustered to death if they even managed to make it out of the House, and yet they just happen anyway, at speeds unseen in legislative history. I'm not asking for a Congressional deadlock simulation, but if an ideology that radical had the seats to pass its programs pretty much unhindered, the country's not divided enough for a full-scale, multi-sided civil war. Maybe something lighter like the coup event chains in Brazil?

Heh, I actually have never posted on the KR forums, though I do look at it from time to time. To be honest, since I have a mac I've never actually played KR and just live vicariously through reading the code. The amount of effort in the mod is still amazing despite its problems.

And on the subject of "not much knowledge of US politics," I have found references to the parliament of the USA in the text files. :v:

Looking over the code to the "Communists seize power instead of Nazis" mod, I would like the KR group to do something similar with how they handled the Fourth International as a new faction. Since DH can't support more than three major alliance blocs, if Germany goes Trotskyist the Fourth International replaces the Axis as one of the factions– which makes sense, since Germany was the lynchpin of the whole alliance.

Since Weltkrieg II inevitably ends with at least one of the three alliance blocks completely destroyed, I think having several potential new postwar alliances able to form would be a good addition. The Syndicalist-Totalist conflict is foreshadowed in the first year of gameplay, and the Totalists would inevitably try and form their own "pure" Internationale once the reactionary pressure's off a bit. If the Qing, Republic of China, or Japan manage to fully dominate Asia in the absence of the Entente or Mitteleuropa, they could proclaim their own "East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere." For a third replacement option a Russian or nonsyndicalist US-led alliance could be a possibility, or possibly an Anticolonialist faction. It would spice the gameplay up after the war's over.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Spiderfist Island posted:

Heh, I actually have never posted on the KR forums, though I do look at it from time to time. To be honest, since I have a mac I've never actually played KR and just live vicariously through reading the code. The amount of effort in the mod is still amazing despite its problems.

And on the subject of "not much knowledge of US politics," I have found references to the parliament of the USA in the text files. :v:

Looking over the code to the "Communists seize power instead of Nazis" mod, I would like the KR group to do something similar with how they handled the Fourth International as a new faction. Since DH can't support more than three major alliance blocs, if Germany goes Trotskyist the Fourth International replaces the Axis as one of the factions– which makes sense, since Germany was the lynchpin of the whole alliance.

Since Weltkrieg II inevitably ends with at least one of the three alliance blocks completely destroyed, I think having several potential new postwar alliances able to form would be a good addition. The Syndicalist-Totalist conflict is foreshadowed in the first year of gameplay, and the Totalists would inevitably try and form their own "pure" Internationale once the reactionary pressure's off a bit. If the Qing, Republic of China, or Japan manage to fully dominate Asia in the absence of the Entente or Mitteleuropa, they could proclaim their own "East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere." For a third replacement option a Russian or nonsyndicalist US-led alliance could be a possibility, or possibly an Anticolonialist faction. It would spice the gameplay up after the war's over.

Yeah, it would be awesome to win the war as the Internationale only to have it split into the Syndicalist International and the Totalist International and have a three-way Cold War between them and the Japanese Empire or whoever. The game lasts until 1963, so when Weltkrieg II ends there's usually more than half the game left, and nothing much happens.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
One of the most confusing things for me in HoI3 is the diplomacy, I tried to play the game but I have no clue how I can accelerate the events so I can actually annex Austria or attack Poland.
I guess the usual PI game tactic of early land grab doesn't work here :o

Knowing what you should automate and what not is also hard to figure out.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

If anyone else is like me and loves the Random World Mod for Vicky 2, someone picked up where the original maker left off and has updated it to work with AHD. I can confirm this as I'm playing it right now. He also said he's intending to update it for HoD if it proves necessary.

I'm just as happy as a clam about this because it's what I've missed more than any other mod with AHD. :neckbeard:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Spiderfist Island posted:

I know what you mean- I preferred the event files to actually playing the game at first, since I'm not a particularly good DH player. I've gotten good with small, focused wars where I don't have to worry about fighting across the entire world, so I either play countries like Romania or battle scenarios.

On that second point, I should be surprised but I'm not.

quote:

Since Weltkrieg II inevitably ends with at least one of the three alliance blocks completely destroyed, I think having several potential new postwar alliances able to form would be a good addition. (snip)

Eh, I've always felt like the extended timeline doesn't really work that well. The period up to the Korean War's one thing, but without anything to represent guerrilla warfare or the espionage and diplomacy of the Cold War it quickly becomes a "square peg and round hole" sort of deal. As it is, I would rather see them focus on the 40's, though a Totalist-Syndicalist split sounds nice.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Mister Adequate posted:

If anyone else is like me and loves the Random World Mod for Vicky 2, someone picked up where the original maker left off and has updated it to work with AHD. I can confirm this as I'm playing it right now. He also said he's intending to update it for HoD if it proves necessary.

I'm just as happy as a clam about this because it's what I've missed more than any other mod with AHD. :neckbeard:

Life is good again.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mister Adequate posted:

Fantastic, that's by far the best mod for V2, and I say that as someone who does mods for that drat game. If you have V2 you really have to do yourself a favor and try it.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
The only thing I dislike about the Random World Mod is that the cultures and religions always end up with gigantic unpronounceable names. Religions you can quickly modify in the localization to give them shorter names, cultures though there's so many it becomes a pain :(.

Still a great mod though.

Koesj posted:

Personally I feel that the custom gamemode can really help with getting to grips with those kinds of tradeoffs, just do multiple starts as a minor nation in 1940 or so and look at how for example your research decisions play out.
Hmm yeah that actually sounds like a fantastic idea. It's hard to tell when my plans fail if it failed because the nation I am playing as is just not capable of doing what I want to do or if it's because I just needed to build up my nation better, the custom gamemode could help me isolate that easier.

quote:

Build up your IC if you've got production to spare and if the game's ending is still far enough away to be able to recoup the costs (and take your resource income into account: divide energy by 2, metal by one and rare resources by .5, whichever number is the lowest should be your max 'available' IC). Infantry is the backbone of your military 95% of the time so research their hardware and doctrines first while providing ample officers to raise their effectiveness. Things like bombers and espionage are nice to have, but not absolutely essential. Tanks are for breakthroughs and a general force multiplier if you're fighting a big war (Eastern Front, later years) and cavalry is a cheap anti-rebel/low tech roving force.

Oh, that helps a lot! My only remaining question is how long on average does it take to recoup the costs; is there a rule of thumb or it just always dependent on the context (what nation you're playing, how far Germany has pushed, which faction you're in, etc)?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

DrProsek posted:

The only thing I dislike about the Random World Mod is that the cultures and religions always end up with gigantic unpronounceable names. Religions you can quickly modify in the localization to give them shorter names, cultures though there's so many it becomes a pain :(.

Yeah, I wish it would add some more 'historical' nations and grow them from seed based off where their capital province should be, instead of fictional nations. So France and the low countries might be owned by Normandy, Wales might own most of Britain, etc etc. Easier to relate to then Wadagamondabinguda.

EDIT:

OOOOoooooohhhh.... they're adding HOI3 style battle plans to V2. That'll be FANTASTIC for AARs/Let's Plays. I hope they're in EUIV, patched into CKII as well.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?676772-Victoria-II-Hearts-of-Darkness-Beta-Screens

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 20, 2013

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

DrProsek posted:

Oh, that helps a lot! My only remaining question is how long on average does it take to recoup the costs; is there a rule of thumb or it just always dependent on the context (what nation you're playing, how far Germany has pushed, which faction you're in, etc)?

Five years baseline. Industry costs 5IC per day, takes a year to complete, and adds 1IC to your pool. If your construction practical is <5 then the recoup time increases by 10% with every increment of -1 (the scale is more logarithmic in reverse). Economic law plays a big role of course, modifying your base IC to an available IC in a -50% to +50% range. Then there's the incidental politician who might add or subtract from your IC.

If you want to hoard Industrial Capacity it's best to start soon, either in the form of an immediate buildup beginning in '36 or by tagging Construction Practical during a custom game's Technology setup (step 2 if you start one) and adding more Industry to your provinces during Deployment (step 3)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Ah great, forgot that industry takes IC to build too :downs:. I'll have to fire up HoI3 again and see how it goes; it sounds like if I started a custom game as say Poland, I should scrap their cav since cav are good at anti-rebels and a low tech force, neither of which I'm worried about while Germany is trying to blitz me. If I play the '36 start, I shouldn't build any industry since Germany will invade in 3 years, too soon for the factory to make up the costs. Sounds like bombers are also out of the question, so I should focus instead on building up infantry at all costs, and tanks once I feel I can hold my own against Germany?

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, I wish it would add some more 'historical' nations and grow them from seed based off where their capital province should be, instead of fictional nations. So France and the low countries might be owned by Normandy, Wales might own most of Britain, etc etc. Easier to relate to then Wadagamondabinguda.

EDIT:

OOOOoooooohhhh.... they're adding HOI3 style battle plans to V2. That'll be FANTASTIC for AARs/Let's Plays. I hope they're in EUIV, patched into CKII as well.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?676772-Victoria-II-Hearts-of-Darkness-Beta-Screens

Yeah, it'd be kinda sweet if there was an option to just use existing cultures and religions instead of the gibberish ones :(. Battle plans are pretty sweet, looking forward to HoD even more :allears:.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Hey paradox! Random world mods are magnificent! I would pay some $DLC DOLLARS$ for some random HOI3 map generator, V2 map generator and especially a EU4 random new world.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
I would pay a lot of money for a random map generator for the new world in EU4. It would make it super fun in both SP and MP.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

For EU4, I'd like two different types of random worlds. One would be a completely random set of landmasses, with random countries scattered about. For the other, I'd like to use the normal world map, but just randomly scatter countries around in random provinces. You might have Sibir located in Australia, with the Incan Empire in Italy, and the Papal States chilling in Kansas. Give each country 3-5 provinces at game start, and just populate the world with em.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
When you get right down to it the world's landmasses are pretty drat ugly. Sorry earth.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I decided to give V2 another shot, with all the talk recently. In Victoria 2: A House Divided, how do you win the Civil War as the Confederacy? I tried two or three times and got crushed every time.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It begins

Doomdark says 7 diaries - so an early May release!

V for Vegas fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 20, 2013

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

DrSunshine posted:

I decided to give V2 another shot, with all the talk recently. In Victoria 2: A House Divided, how do you win the Civil War as the Confederacy? I tried two or three times and got crushed every time.

Keep raising relations with the Brits and hope that they decide to raise influence with you, then intercede on your behalf? It probably won't work, but "probably won't work" is better than nothing.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

SeaTard posted:

For EU4, I'd like two different types of random worlds. One would be a completely random set of landmasses, with random countries scattered about. For the other, I'd like to use the normal world map, but just randomly scatter countries around in random provinces. You might have Sibir located in Australia, with the Incan Empire in Italy, and the Papal States chilling in Kansas. Give each country 3-5 provinces at game start, and just populate the world with em.

I'd like to see two random variations for landmasses.

1.) Old World. Eurasia/Africa/Australia are all historical, America is randomly generated
2.) Known World. Europe/Middle-East/North Africa are all historical, America, Southern Africa, Asia, Australia, etc all randomly generated

But yeah, seeing a built in 'Fantasia' generator would be nice too. Choose to start random nations in their historical spots or anywhere, give them random sizes, leave continents empty, etc etc.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
I just noticed there have been a whopping 22 EU4 dev diaries. Has there been mention of how fleshed out the non-white world will be at release? Or how colonization will work?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Qwo posted:

I just noticed there have been a whopping 22 EU4 dev diaries. Has there been mention of how fleshed out the non-white world will be at release? Or how colonization will work?

Vijayanagar is one of the Tiered countries, so it will eventually get its own Dev Diary, IIRC. They already said that EU4 will completely change the map of India.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Qwo posted:

Nothing about non-white countries in particular, but you now have a fixed number of colonists (exactly how many is affected by national ideas) rather than gaining them over time. Sending a colonist to an empty province eventually founds a colony, and leaving him there makes it grow a lot faster.

I'm pretty sure that's all they've said about colonising so far, but there's another 30 dev diaries to go.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
That's slightly reassuring to hear. I at least hope Paradox follows the DLC scheme they've had for CK2 and fleshes out every corner of the map to its maximum. Fingers crossed!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Well if trade flows on-map then that creates a lot of potential to set up historical reasons why colonies were valuable and fought over - ie. Louisiana was important because it provided food locally for Cuba, which produced Sugar as a cash crop.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Patter Song posted:

Vijayanagar is one of the Tiered countries, so it will eventually get its own Dev Diary, IIRC. They already said that EU4 will completely change the map of India.

They've shown a screenshot of most of South India and it's not terribly encouraging, the borders are a bit more sensible but the provinces are only slightly smaller overall. Perhaps the North will be better, since it was definitely the cultural and political focus of the subcontinent during most of the period.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

In HoI3, how does AI control work for the diplomatic side of things? Will it declare war on certain countries as historical, not do any major action, etc?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

V for Vegas posted:

It begins

Oh dip, I didn't notice support for thorn and eth.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I think the thing that excites me most about Old Gods is a new scenario. I like the HRE being broken up and a bunch of mid ranked states.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Mister Adequate posted:

Hell. Yes. With this and A Srb Divided, I feel like I have more than enough material to put a huge dent in my GPA.

I hope the new organizer stays with it, it would be a shame if it broke again after HoD comes out in like a month...

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

V for Vegas posted:

It begins

I'm pretty sure Burgundy is supposed to be Lotharingia here. What the hell Paradox! Not buying this expansion.

:colbert:

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Is it just me, or is combat compared in the latest version of Darkest Hour REALLY hard compared to AoD and HoI2? Fights like, say the invasion France feel a shitton more difficult than it used to be. Combine that with the (relatively) long build times and it means you also have less units to field. Is it just still simply a case of Infantry+Armour (excluding specialized units with Tactical/CAS doing Ground Surport missions? What is the best way to deal with the AI stacking men on beaches? Also do brigades make much of a differene?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

SkySteak posted:

Is it just me, or is combat compared in the latest version of Darkest Hour REALLY hard compared to AoD and HoI2? Fights like, say the invasion France feel a shitton more difficult than it used to be. Combine that with the (relatively) long build times and it means you also have less units to field. Is it just still simply a case of Infantry+Armour (excluding specialized units with Tactical/CAS doing Ground Surport missions? What is the best way to deal with the AI stacking men on beaches? Also do brigades make much of a differene?

If we're talking Germany 1936, here, I did a quick AAR on the Paradox Darkest Hour forums in the "Problems With Germany... Again" thread.

Infantry and tanks with CAS and TAC doing ground support is a pretty good summary of how to play Germany, with an emphasis on CAS since Germany gets superior CAS through their doctrine. You should also switch to Ground Attack air missions once the enemy is retreating.

What beaches are you assaulting? Normally some marines with an assload of air support will win, or you can do a paradrop on a nearby coastal undefended province and immediately rush over fifty divisions by transport to reinforce the paratroopers.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

V for Vegas posted:

It begins

I am intensely curious as to how they went about solving the Magyar problem. Looks like they actually made the Magyars landed at game start, so it will be interesting to see how the migration into Pannonia plays out.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

I am intensely curious as to how they went about solving the Magyar problem. Looks like they actually made the Magyars landed at game start, so it will be interesting to see how the migration into Pannonia plays out.

Random event that gives Nomads claims on counties to their west. In future patches they'll introduce modding tools to point the expansion path in a specific direction.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
New Heart of Darkness dev diary, focusing on colonies:

* The minimum life rating effects to allow colonization have been moved out of the [Nationalism and Imperialism] and [Machine Guns] techs, and converted into inventions of the earlier techs, but the inventions will only have a chance to trigger if someone has already discovered N&I and Machine Guns, preventing any one nation from establishing a commanding lead on colonization simply by beating everyone else in research.

* Colonization no longer uses National Focuses. Instead, Colony Points are accrued as a sort of currency that's spent to claim and maintain colonies. The rate of points accumulation is dependent on naval bases and navy size, allowing colonization to be hampered by naval combat.

* Colonies now have different stages: First, you spend Colony Points to send an Expedition into an empty state.

* If you have no competition, then the Expedition will eventually turn into a Protectorate and your spend Colony Points are refunded.

* If you have competition, then you enter a Colonial Influence race. Starting with the Expedition, a progress bar builds into Colonists, then an Outpost, then a Settlement, then a Guard Post, then reinforcing the Guard Post. A nation can pull out at any time if they don't want to spend any more Colony Points on the particular state. The race ends and enters its next stage if any one nation is ahead by three stages.

* At the next stage of the race, the top two nations with the highest progress from the previous stage are competing. There are still levels as in the previous stage, but the state is now considered a Flashpoint as tensions between the two nations build. If this stage drags on for long enough, it may trigger a Crisis, which we've seen in previous DDs can eventually lead to war. If one of the two nations gets two levels ahead of the other, then the race is won and the state becomes a Protectorate.

* A Protectorate can be converted into a full Colony at the cost of Colony Points, which increases tax revenue, allows recruitment of soldier POPs and puts some accepted culture Bureaucrats into the state.

* A Colony can further be upgraded into a full-fledged state of your nation, at the cost of even more Colony Points. The Colony Point cost will scale with distance, which is intended to discourage converting far-flung colonies into full states.

* As an alternative, a Colony may also be turned into a Dominion, which gives autonomy to the Colony, but leaves the new nation inside your Sphere of Influence, and is a military puppet (and provides military control), and refunds some of your Colony Points.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
Dynamic countries!!!!

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
As long as doing a "race" with the AI doesn't just turn into "whoever started first, wins". That's my only worry there. Well, that and I'd like there to be fewer empty states in Africa and more nations, but this is a decent compromise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Cowcatcher posted:

Dynamic countries!!!!

Every day between now and release I will pray to the Old Gods that dynamic countries makes it into EUIV in some aspect. Especially with event control over them. So many things you could do with that.

• Locked thread