Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

a pipe smoking dog posted:

That story was seriously awful. Man is stressed and doctor tells him to take a holiday, he goes to Australia to visit his family, see a shark about to attack some kids so jumps into sea to stop them, his employer says that because he was capable to stop a shark killing some children he should have been at work instead.

As someone said, if you're already stressed watching some kids get killed so you can keep your job is probably going to make it worse.
Yeah, I think most news outlets (and especially the charity trustees, who were astonishingly ignorant) are missing the whole 'stress' angle and are assuming he was skiving on the basis of a bad back or something. It is a pretty terrible story since the positive attention of the rescue could have significantly helped him with any issues of self-worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Weirdly, the news outlets have also avoided the "saving kids' lives" aspect, in the headlines at least. "Wrestling with a shark" sounds like it was some fun activity he decided to do.0

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Noreaus posted:

Weirdly, the news outlets have also avoided the "saving kids' lives" aspect, in the headlines at least. "Wrestling with a shark" sounds like it was some fun activity he decided to do.0
Tabloidspeak: Well it just goes to show how people on disability are mostly just faking it, innit? How can somebody have stress if they're on a beach in Oz having a barbie, sounds pretty good to me, arf arf arf

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

Steve Bell on David Cameron's decision to end talks over press regulation.

Telegraph:

:frogon:

Daily Mail:

We now have a new Pope and he hails from Argentina.

quote:

“Well we’ve never had a plague of locusts or pestilence before.”

Daily Express:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Fluo posted:

Daily Express:

What the gently caress is this? Atlantic Puffins are only found in the north :argh:

Also those penguins aren't as good as Steve Bell's pengiuns.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Fluo posted:

Telegraph:

:frogon:

Clegg and Milliband are bullying Cameron by... trying to implement the recommendations of an inquiry specifically set up to recommend how to change our hosed-up media? How awful? Also at this point I think even most Torygraph readers are going to side with the people beating up Cameron.

quote:

Daily Mail:

We now have a new Pope and he hails from Argentina.

Daily Express:

Oh my god shut up about the Falklands we get it already. I think the Pope is going to have slightly more important things to do than to intervene over some rocks in the South Atlantic.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Fluo posted:

Daily Express:

Other than the penguins THERE IS NO BIRD

Also why do they have red noses? Are they all drunks?

EDIT: Red nose day, duh. Then why does the pope have red ears. Can't help feeling this was done days ago and some intern has been told to colour in their noses.

Betjeman fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 15, 2013

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I think a very small silhouette can be on the golden window panes on the left.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

Enough about the penguins, here's Steve Bell on the Iraq war, 10 years on

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Betjeman posted:

Also why do they have red noses? Are they all drunks?

We saw at least three of them sitting under that bridge surrounded by empty beer cans and bottles a few days ago, so could be.

WORLDS BEST BABY
Aug 26, 2006

Tincans posted:

Enough about the penguins, here's Steve Bell on the Iraq war, 10 years on

I'm not sure anyone can really hold a candle up to Bell. He's so good at getting the right balance between funny and poignant.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

Excavations for London's Crossrail link have revealed what experts believe to be a "plague pit" from the 14th century.
Hey they're in a massive fur cup!

Telegraph:

Indy:

Based off of William Blake's - The Great Red Dragon and the Woman Clothed in Sun which was from the 'The Great Red Dragon Paintings' series of paintings.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 16, 2013

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Fluo posted:

Guardian:

Excavations for London's Crossrail link have revealed what experts believe to be a "plague pit" from the 14th century.

Skeleton bottom left has a note saying 'Fit for Work'.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Geokinesis posted:

Skeleton bottom left has a note saying 'Fit for Work'.

Top right looks like William Haig, top left looks like Theresa May, one below her looks like Michael Gove, middle right looks like George Osborne, other side of Osborne looks like Cameron. I'm stuck on the bottom right one.

Also news related if we're talking about how loving awful the Tories and ATOS are.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...cv-8536873.html

quote:

Capable of 'work-related activity': Partially blind Thalidomide victim with brain tumour fights Atos decision to force her to attend interviews and put together CV.
A Thalidomide victim with a brain tumour who is blind in one eye and has trouble walking is battling against a decision by Atos that she is capable of “work related activity”.

Martine White, 50, is due to appear at a tribunal in which she will appeal against the decision which she fears could force her to take employment or face losing up to half of her benefits.

The mother of four from Burnley, Lancashire, is one of a number of victims of the morning sickness drug which left more than 500 people in Britain with severe birth defects who claim they are being unfairly treated by the Government’s controversial back-to-work assessors.

Mrs White, who has deformed arms and is facing spinal surgery which she fears could put her permanently in a wheelchair, was assessed by Atos and moved from incapacity benefit to the new employment and support allowance last year.
[...]
In January 2013 former Labour minister Michael Meacher told Parliament that 1,300 people had died after being placed in the “work-related activity group”. Another 2,200 had died before the assessment came through. Another MP said a female constituent with Crohn’s disease had been told by assessors that she could return to work wearing a nappy.

Check out the full article, its depressing as gently caress.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 16, 2013

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Fluo posted:

I'm stuck on the bottom right one.

Based on the lack of a neck I think it's Cable.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fluo posted:

Also news related if we're talking about how loving awful the Tories and ATOS are.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...cv-8536873.html

Check out the full article, its depressing as gently caress.

Don't lay this all at the door of the Tories; Atos were awarded that contract in 2005.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Fluo posted:

Guardian:

I really like Rowson's Bozza. No matter what the situation, he's always a massive, gaudy carnival balloon floating over everything doing no loving good to anybody.

quote:

Telegraph:

The Telegraph, on the other hand, is really interesting in their caricatures. Sure, the government is always portrayed as not good enough to face their problems, but the odds are shown as being impossibly stacked against them. Osbourne in this is a weedy little fuckup who can't handle the scrum, but gor bless 'im he's trying.

See also: Gove as a napoleonic general.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Don't lay this all at the door of the Tories; Atos were awarded that contract in 2005.

And the coalition extended the contract until 2015, making them just as culpable.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

a pipe smoking dog posted:

That story was seriously awful. Man is stressed and doctor tells him to take a holiday, he goes to Australia to visit his family, see a shark about to attack some kids so jumps into sea to stop them, his employer says that because he was capable to stop a shark killing some children he should have been at work instead.

As someone said, if you're already stressed watching some kids get killed so you can keep your job is probably going to make it worse.

His employer was probably just looking for an excuse to fire him, he'd been on sick leave with stress for 8 months.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Puntification posted:

And the coalition extended the contract until 2015, making them just as culpable.

The details have only really been leaking since after the renewal, though. The blame is therefore not equal, one way or another. If Labour didn't know how the results were created and the Tories did, then the Tories are worse. If the Tories didn't know, then all they did was not fix what didn't appear to be broken. If they both knew, or neither of them knew, then Labour are more to blame for being the ones who opened the door. It all boils down to whether the Tories knew the details, and given that this bunch wouldn't know where to find their arses with a labelled diagram tattooed on their leg I'm inclined to think they didn't.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

The details have only really been leaking since after the renewal, though. The blame is therefore not equal, one way or another. If Labour didn't know how the results were created and the Tories did, then the Tories are worse. If the Tories didn't know, then all they did was not fix what didn't appear to be broken. If they both knew, or neither of them knew, then Labour are more to blame for being the ones who opened the door. It all boils down to whether the Tories knew the details, and given that this bunch wouldn't know where to find their arses with a labelled diagram tattooed on their leg I'm inclined to think they didn't.

Hmm true, quantifying the blame with the information available is possibly a wasted effort (also they are both terrible neo-liberal shits with little between them) and I should have just said "still culpable as well". I'm not sure ignorance should be a mitigating factor though since the minister retains the ultimate responsibility for the job atos is doing so if they didn't care to check they are incompetent.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

Britain's main political leaders are taking talks on the future of press regulation down to the wire.

Stephen Collins doing a hipster! :unsmigghh:

Telegraph:

Indy:

Daily Express:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Fluo posted:

Guardian:

Cameron gets drawn as woman a lot doesn't he.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Legitimately thought that was a picture of Gordon Brown at first.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

(Mondays)

(Todays)

Steve Bell on the press regulation deal.

Telegraph:

Indy:

Daily Mail:

People living in Cyprus are being forced to give ten per cent of their savings in banks to help out the Cypriot economy.

quote:

“No need for guns, lads. Just tell them you’re from the EU.”

Daily Express:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Fluo posted:

Daily Express:

:awesome:

It's amazing how people like Rowson can crank out a visually arresting, complex tableau of metaphors and references in a day, while the Express prints something an eight-year-old drew on their dinner break and still manages to be several days behind the news

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

baka kaba posted:

It's amazing how people like Rowson can crank out a visually arresting, complex tableau of metaphors and references in a day, while the Express prints something an eight-year-old drew on their dinner break and still manages to be several days behind the news

The same could be said of their actual news coverage as well.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Jesus that Express cartoon is chilling.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

baka kaba posted:

Several days? More like a hundred years. Hooray for gunboat diplomacy! :britain:

Clapham Omnibus
Nov 11, 2006

Fluo posted:

Daily Express:

This is pretty ironic given how often the Express complains about those fascist Europeans attacking our rights to bendy bananas and re-use jam jars.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

Tens of thousands turn St Peter's Square into sea of flags and banners for new pontiff's inauguration mass.

Telegraph:

Indy:

Daily Mail:

The leaders of the three main parties have come up with a new set of press regulations which are not proving popular with newspaper Editors.

quote:

“It’s Hugh Grant on the phone. He wants tomorrow’s headline changed, a rewrite of page 4 and the film critic sacked.”

Daily Express:

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Fluo posted:

Telegraph:

This is interesting. The other day Murderion made the astute observation that the Telegraph cartoons tend to present the Government (or at least the Tories in Government), even when being critical, as the victims of overwhelming circumstance. While this cartoon isn't exactly Bellian-levels of the Chancellor in a bondage suit loving over the poor, it shows him on his own and without any outside forces intervening, while implying that everything he has tried so far has been an abject failure and that he is completely out of ideas.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Fluo posted:

Daily Express:

Considering he's supposed to be a professional cartoonist for a right wing newspaper you'd have thought he'd have spent some effort in the past five years or so to come up with a Cameron that was even remotely recognisable..

Daveman23
Aug 4, 2003

Betjeman posted:

Considering he's supposed to be a professional cartoonist for a right wing newspaper you'd have thought he'd have spent some effort in the past five years or so to come up with a Cameron that was even remotely recognisable..

I think that might be an attempt at Danny Alexander (without his glasses).

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
He should have just drawn his usual googly-eyed bloke with a sausage nose and stuck him in the houses of parliament with a couple of wobble lines around his head. More and more I'm entertained by the idea that he's actually portraying this nightmare future with only five people living in the world and acting out 'historically accurate' scenes from the early 21st century for their alien masters.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fluo posted:

Daily Mail:

The leaders of the three main parties have come up with a new set of press regulations which are not proving popular with newspaper Editors.

You guys led me to believe that Mac was a horrible, evil bastard all the time, but he's been doing pleasant, occasionally-funny cartoons for a while now. Did you lie to me? :ohdear:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

prefect posted:

You guys led me to believe that Mac was a horrible, evil bastard all the time, but he's been doing pleasant, occasionally-funny cartoons for a while now. Did you lie to me? :ohdear:

Odd that you say this while quoting one where he's being a poo poo and misrepresenting the facts.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

mfcrocker posted:

Odd that you say this while quoting one where he's being a poo poo and misrepresenting the facts.

I thought it was a funny comment on things, since Hugh Grant's organization was leading the press-regulation charge.

quote:

It’s Hugh Grant on the phone. He wants tomorrow’s headline changed, a rewrite of page 4 and the film critic sacked.

I thought he was exaggerating for comic effect. :shrug:

VVVV Ah, I missed the newspapers. Yeah, that changes the meaning to ensure it's not a goofy joke.

prefect fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 20, 2013

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Look at the newspapers on the table: "A grim day for press freedom"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

prefect posted:

I thought it was a funny comment on things, since Hugh Grant's organization was leading the press-regulation charge.

I thought he was exaggerating for comic effect. :shrug:

Generally one exaggerates the truth rather than some dog-whistle shite about individuals stifling the press.

• Locked thread