Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sirotan posted:

Brought sure homebrew to a dinner party tonight and had every bottle start to foam out immediately after opening. It's an IPA I brewed back around October. The taste was a bit soured so obviously I have an infection of some kind, but what would cause it to foam up like that? Or is this a case of I'll just never know?

Of course when it was fresh it tasted great and I had no problems at all.
The infection by nature of keeping trucking on left over long chain sugars and starches generates more CO2 than you'd plan for with saccharomyces.

It's hard to say exactly what without a microscope and a biology degree but generally thinking along the lines of "something worth doing again" or "oh god foul infection" is good enough for most people in practical terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
I'm gearing up for my first real brew. I'm going to try the norther brewers witbier recipe. http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/Witbier.pdf . I'm going to buy the ingredients from my local store but i have a few questions. When i add the hops/coriander seed/orange peel, do those need to be bagged and removed before cooling, or do i just dump them in? If so, how do you guys use the grain/hop bags? Do you tie em off and toss em in, or do you hang them from something so they don't hit the bottom and burn?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Crunkjuice posted:

I'm gearing up for my first real brew. I'm going to try the norther brewers witbier recipe. http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/Witbier.pdf . I'm going to buy the ingredients from my local store but i have a few questions. When i add the hops/coriander seed/orange peel, do those need to be bagged and removed before cooling, or do i just dump them in? If so, how do you guys use the grain/hop bags? Do you tie em off and toss em in, or do you hang them from something so they don't hit the bottom and burn?

I made this recipe (edit: the all-grain version), and it's pretty good, but it gets very bitter and grainy as it ages out so drink it young-ish.

I use a tea ball (got a cheap one from Bell's online store) for additions like that, but you won't have a problem just chucking them into the wort as long as you don't plan on recycling the yeast after you bottle/keg - and even then you'll be fine, but you'll be carrying over the orange/coriander with you.

e: some people are pretty spergy about 0min/flameout additions and claim that they NEED TO BE FREE to swirl about the kettle, so take that for what it is. I tend to agree because it's more fun.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

wattershed posted:

wrap the reflectix (it's fire-proof, I don't have it on when the flame's going but it's good to know),

Definitely want to keep the flame off when using reflectix. It might not burst into flames but it will melt somewhere around 3-400*F and attach itself to whatever it is on. I was using it for insulation on my smoker and I took too long in getting everything assembled after starting the fire (so the charcoal got a lot more air than usual) and the reflectix around the base where the fire is melted onto my smoker. I've since switched to a silicon impregnated fabric which is amazing.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Galler posted:

Definitely want to keep the flame off when using reflectix. It might not burst into flames but it will melt somewhere around 3-400*F and attach itself to whatever it is on. I was using it for insulation on my smoker and I took too long in getting everything assembled after starting the fire (so the charcoal got a lot more air than usual) and the reflectix around the base where the fire is melted onto my smoker. I've since switched to a silicon impregnated fabric which is amazing.

You have a link for it? I'd love to be able to wrap my turkey fryer with insulation for when we're cooking Christmas dinner.

And for brewing, naturally.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Okay here's the weird thing I want to do, so tell me why my recipe is dumb and my idea is dumb and how to make it not dumb:

I want to brew a "Saison 3 Ways" for a special event we have coming up. A straight version, a sour version, and a (dried) hoppy version, all 3 gallons each.

My plan is to start the boil at 60 minutes and bring it to about 11-13 IBU (because my precious sour tank doesn't like big IBUs), cut the boil at 30 minutes, run off 1/3 of the wort (for the sour batch), and then continue the boil at 30 minutes with addition(s) that will bring the 2/3 batch up to around 30 IBU.

At that point things will proceed as normal, but for the hoppy batch I'll dryhop about a week before bottling with some huge aroma hops (I haven't decided on what those should be yet, definitely open to suggestions).

Here's what I have on paper, based on what I know about how Saison Dupont is brewed and what I've read in Radical Brewing:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/41224/anniversary-saison

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Galler posted:

Oh, yeah, I wouldn't use reflectix when the flame is on. That said, yes, tell us more about this silicon impregnated fabric.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I bought mine pre-made for my smoker from here. I seem to remember reading that the fabric is good up to something retarded like 1,000*F. I'm not sure if you can get the raw fabric without buying a huge amount although you could cut up one of the smoker jackets.

Also I don't know if it would work all that well for a turkey fryer. It works great on the smoker because it blocks the wind and the shape of the smoker/cover forces the warm air exiting the top of the smoker to flow back down along the outside creating an insulating air gap. I'm not sure if the fabric alone provides as much insulation as something like reflectix.

I need to get another couple pork butts and fire that thing up again.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Crunkjuice posted:

What local store are you going to? If you don't mind driving to Lake Worth, go to BX Beer Depot. By far the best brew shop in the state. They do brewing classes for pretty cheap too.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

rockcity posted:

What local store are you going to? If you don't mind driving to Lake Worth, go to BX Beer Depot. By far the best brew shop in the state. They do brewing classes for pretty cheap too.

I'm in Dallas so driving there would take 18 hours according to google maps ;p

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Just had an idea: when I do my mash/sparge in my 10 gallon Igloo drink dispenser, can I press the excess moisture out of the grain down through the mash screen with a dinner plate, or will that extract unwanted stuff from the grain?

Could be a way to get a little more efficiency from my process.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
You're going to want to protect your hands when you try it, because the first thing that will happen is that the liquid will pool on the plate.

But apart from bodily injury, I don't think there's any issue - as the mash filter chat earlier showed, you can squeeze the mash practically dry without any off-flavors.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

wattershed posted:

I have a cooling rack (I think they're for cakes or something) that keeps the bag off the bottom of the pot. I also had the bag tailored to the exact size of my pot to prevent a lot of fabric from massing up down there.

I imagine a vegetable steamer would accomplish the exact same thing if one were worried about it.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

RagingBoner posted:

Just had an idea: when I do my mash/sparge in my 10 gallon Igloo drink dispenser, can I press the excess moisture out of the grain down through the mash screen with a dinner plate, or will that extract unwanted stuff from the grain?

Could be a way to get a little more efficiency from my process.

As long as you aren't pushing grain husks or particles out through your false bottom/steel braid/whatever there shouldn't be an issue.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Getting ready to finish my keezer with some taps, is there any good reason I shouldn't get a draft tower? I can't fit any more than 3 kegs inside so adding taps won't be an issue. I know I'll have to pull it away from the wall and remove the drip tray when I want to open it but I'm not really worried about that. I built the lid with 3/4" plywood and thick insulation so cutting through metal and mounting the tower isn't going to be a problem either.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Crunkjuice posted:

I'm in Dallas so driving there would take 18 hours according to google maps ;p

Haha my mistake, I think I got your location mixed up with one of the other guys in the diving thread.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
About how long have you guys seen Wyeast American Ale yeast take to ferment a 1.060 beer? It's been a week and most of my beers have finished in a week so I think I might be safe, but I just want to be sure. I know checking hydrometer is the only way to know for sure, but I'd like to waste as little beer checking since I need all that I can get.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Midorka posted:

About how long have you guys seen Wyeast American Ale yeast take to ferment a 1.060 beer? It's been a week and most of my beers have finished in a week so I think I might be safe, but I just want to be sure. I know checking hydrometer is the only way to know for sure, but I'd like to waste as little beer checking since I need all that I can get.

Just sanitize your test holding apparatus and put it back in when your done. It's what I do, after I pour a teeny taste for my trouble.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Just sanitize your test holding apparatus and put it back in when your done. It's what I do, after I pour a teeny taste for my trouble.

This is risky but probably your best bet. Remember that the resultant bottle bombs from bottling too early are also a huge waste of beer.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Mikey Purp posted:

This is risky but probably your best bet. Remember that the resultant bottle bombs from bottling too early are also a huge waste of beer.

Just start a trend for PET bottles! Dont most of you folks keg it up anyways? On another note I got my Portuguese double lever corker in the mail this weekend! Can't wait to cork some mead.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
With Spring apparently still on the way (still 40* here in Brooklyn :argh:) I'm starting to look towards making a hefeweiss beer. Does anyone have any tried and true all-grain recipes, preferably without a decoction mash if possible?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Are decoction mashes typical for a hefeweizen? I did one with a buddy but it caused the beer to turn too dark for a true hefeweizen.

Also I think I should just pony up and get a refractometer...

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Feeling pretty good today - the emergency mead is fermenting nicely still, gravity dropping down, still goldenrod in color. My steam beer is just about ready to bottle, which is good. I got a stainless soda keg to begin modifying into a basic still setup. I felt like I had enough brewing things to keep me occupied for a while.

But I just got a call from someone saying they're dropping off 80 pounds of bananas at my place today.

So I guess I get to learn how to make banana beer/wine/brandy this weekend!

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Midorka, while a refractometer is on my list too, they don't work require a calculation once a solution has alcohol in it. I'll third Marshmallow Blue's suggestion. Are you using a vacuum thief?

Mistaken For Bacon fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 20, 2013

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.
http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2013/03/75-gallon-kettle-and-propane-burner.html

A 30 quart stock pot, a 45k BTU burner and a 12" thermometer for $59.97 Shipped.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Just start a trend for PET bottles! Dont most of you folks keg it up anyways? On another note I got my Portuguese double lever corker in the mail this weekend! Can't wait to cork some mead.

I think for most people who keg, kegging isn't a complete replacement for bottling. I personally only have 2 kegs so I'm still bottling fairly often.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

Midorka, while a refractometer is on my list too, they don't work once a solution has alcohol in it. I'll third Marshmallow Blue's suggestion. Are you using a vacuum thief?

Oh they don't? I didn't know that. I'm using one of those thiefs that you dip in and it slowly fills up automatically. It takes about 6 ounces for my tube.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

Midorka, while a refractometer is on my list too, they don't work once a solution has alcohol in it. I'll third Marshmallow Blue's suggestion. Are you using a vacuum thief?

Refractometers can be used with a little math if you have the original reading: http://seanterrill.com/2011/04/07/refractometer-fg-results/

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Mikey Purp posted:

With Spring apparently still on the way (still 40* here in Brooklyn :argh:) I'm starting to look towards making a hefeweiss beer. Does anyone have any tried and true all-grain recipes, preferably without a decoction mash if possible?

Poster "il serpente cosmico" used to sperg incessantly about Hefeweizens in the old thread. I dug up his recipe. If anyone remembers Ajaarg (:allears:) he swore by this, too. Edit: It's basically the opposite of what you want in that it includes a double decoction, heh. But he swore up and down that it made the beer 1000x better so maybe it's worth it?

il serpente cosmico posted:

Bam:

Double Decoction Weizen

7# German light wheat
3# German pilsner (hefeweizen) or munich (dunkelweizen)

.7oz. Tettnanger (60min)
.5oz. Tettnanger (15min)
.5oz. Tettnanger (5min)

(15IBU)

Wyeast Weihenstephaner

Decoction process:

Add grain and 10 quarts water to mash tun to hit 100*. This is the beta glucanase rest, which will make the mash less gummy, and runoff easier. Allow mash to rest for 15 minutes.

Next, add enough boiling water (usually over 5 quarts) to raise temperature to 128*. This is the protein rest, which will improve body and head retention, as well as increase the efficiency of the mash. Allow mash to rest for 15 minutes.

Now begin the first decoction. Pull about 33-40% of the mash (easily calculated with a ruler)—you want get the thickest part of the mash. Raise the heat of this portion to 149* and allow to rest for 20 minutes for saccharification. Next, heat to 162* to convert most of the remaining starches to dextrins. Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes. Now raise to boiling, stirring often in order to prevent scorching. Try to mark where the water line is, and periodically add water during the boil to maintain the water level. Boil for 30 minutes, and add the entire portion back into the mash tun.

This should have raised the temperature of the entire mash to 149*. If it did not, add some cold water (a little bit goes a long way) to bring the temperature down, or pull some of the mash, add heat, and add it back in to hit the target. Try not to pull too much, or you’ll screw up the diastic power. It’s better to overshoot your temp and adjust down, so plan accordingly when you pull the decoction. Boiling water can also be added to raise the heat. This is the main saccharification rest. Allow the mash to rest for 45 minutes.

Now begin the second decoction. Once again, pull about 40% of the mash (maybe a little bit more), getting the thickest part. Heat to 162* to build dextrins. Rest here for 10-15 minutes. Try to mark where the water line is, and periodically add water during the boil to maintain the water level. Bring to boil once again for 30 minutes, stirring to prevent scorching. Add this back into the mash. The goal this time is to hit 162-168*. If temp is too high, use cold water to correct. If it’s too low, heat a portion of the mash and add it back in (don’t worry about pulling too much, as saccharification is already complete). This is “mash-out” rest. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes.

Now begin the sparge. Run off all the liquid from the mash tun into a bucket. Run-off slowly, as the high wheat content can cause problems. After runoff is complete, add the batch sparge water (3.5 gallons @ 175*). Let it sit for a couple minutes, and run off again.

Boil the liquid for a total of at least 90 minutes (this is more important for the hefe, as pilsner malt will create more DMS). Add hops as usual. Cool as usual. Strain into carboy and pitch the yeast. WLP380 seems to do best when pitched at a high rate. Ferment in a cool place, as high temperatures will result in a banana runtz taste.

Effeciency is typically around 77%. OG is typically 1.056. FG is typically 1.013.

Expect the entire process to take nearly 7 hours.

Ferment at 62-63ºF

Bottle with 1.5 cups of extra light DME per 5 gallons to get proper carbonation.

As an aside, I forgot how much the old homebrew thread ruled. It ran from 2008 to 2011 and ended up in the Goldmine.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 20, 2013

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Midorka posted:

Oh they don't? I didn't know that. I'm using one of those thiefs that you dip in and it slowly fills up automatically. It takes about 6 ounces for my tube.
Sounds like this one, right? You shouldn't have to waste any beer, then, unless your hydrometer is too fat to fit in the tube.

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Refractometers can be used with a little math if you have the original reading: http://seanterrill.com/2011/04/07/refractometer-fg-results/
I'm going to check this out, thanks!

Mistaken For Bacon fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 20, 2013

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
I've double decocted a Hef before and I don't remember it being too dark. I did 10 minute decoction boils instead of 30, of course.

Edit: In the wheat book by Heironymous he says decoction mashes are traditional for Hefeweizen, but hardly any German breweries do it anymore.

BerkerkLurk fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 20, 2013

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Cpt.Wacky posted:

You don't even need the original. Between refractometer reading, FG, and OG, you can use any 2 to work out the third. Be sure to degass and take the temp if you're measuring FG of a finished beer, and keep in mind that if you bottle condition that fudges things a tad.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Cointelprofessional posted:

http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2013/03/75-gallon-kettle-and-propane-burner.html

A 30 quart stock pot, a 45k BTU burner and a 12" thermometer for $59.97 Shipped.

Oh, hell yes, I've been waiting for a deal like this to pop up. Awesome. Going to up my half-rear end BIAB technique to full batches now! I'll mash in this kettle, and use the 5-gallon -bucket-w/holes-in-the-bottom-stuck-in-an-Ale-Pail-technique for sparging (Yes, that's the technical name. Some nice poster outlined this system many pages ago. For posterity I'll quote this kind soul, because I saved their immeasurably helpful post. Unfortunately not their username, so I present to you the cheap all-grain setup of the Unknown Goon. Perhaps if someone has search/archives they could give credit where credit is due, on behalf of us cheapskates:)

quote:

I've seen a LOT of all-grain brewing setups in this thread that are
very intricate and expensive, and the general theme (since noone has
posted a poor-man's rig)seems to be that for your average extract
brewer to transition to all-grain brewing it's going to take a lot of
money.

Thankfully THIS IS NOT THE CASE! You can do everything they do, make
beer just as delicious/experimental, and do it for a lot less money
(though it is a bit more work and takes more micromanaging.)What those
shiny toys and doodads accomplish is to eliminate some of the inherent
human error and eliminate unwelcome variables.

You can make the transition to all grain with an investment as low as
$10-$50 depending on what equipment you already have on hand. My
personal conversion cost me $50 because I didn't have a Turkey Fryer.
It turns out that my Dad had one for boiling corn that got used once a
year, and we would have given it to me if I'd asked. Ask your loved
ones for stuff. If they love you they'll give you their turkey fryers
for free.)

So the first and biggest hurdle is getting a big enough pot/burner. As
you've probably noticed with your extract boils, heating up 2.5
gallons on a gas-range takes forever, for a 5-6.5 gallon boil, you'll
encounter the heat-death of the universe before that baby boils, so
you need more juice.

The cheapest way to do this is via a $35 turkey fryer at Wal-Mart.
This comes with a propane burner that feels like the rear end end of an
F-22 Raptor, and a 36qt stockpot.
While elitist jerks will argue that aluminum pots are inferior to
steel or copper based kettles (they are actually inferior by the way)
Aluminum turkey fryer pots are also less than 1/10th the price, so
while they won't last more than 2 years, IDGAS because it would take
me 20 years to break even with a stainless steel pot that gave me less
volume.

Because you can effectively do your mash inside your brew kettle if
you use a large grain bag ($2.50 at your LHBS), the only other thing
you need to buy/rig up is an improvised lautering tun for separating
the sweet wort from your spent grains. There are a number of methods
to accomplish this, from coolers (if you already have a cooler w/ a
drain on the bottom this is the cheapest way, otherwise, do what I
did) to uber-shiny $1,500 mash/lautering systems that hold your sparge
water at exactly 170.00000000000 Degrees Fahrenheit, (using a quantum
mechanical formula to devise the optimal volume of water to use for
sugar extraction no less!) but I do this by using a regular stackable
plastic bucket such as the one here:

Note: The Home Depot Homer bucket works great for this and costs about $5.
You then modify this bucket by drilling small holes in the bottom: To
use it as a lautering tun, just place it on top of any empty pot or
pail: Note: I usually use an empty ale pail to collect the wort
instead of a kettle because it's taller, but that the kettle was next
to me when I took the picture so deal with it.

After your mash time is up you simply lift the grain bag out of the
kettle (letting as much wort drip out as possible) before placing the
bag into your bucket. Add Water 1/2 gallon at a time in what is known
as "Batch Sparging". When you're done sparging just dump the wort into
your kettle and boil.

This method works really well because due to some Osmotic Sorcery the
physics works in your favor and the water won't drain to the lower
bucket until you lift your bag up, thus you get the "real" lauter tun
effect of letting the sparge water soak on the grains without spending
$$ on a real one, or ruining your favorite cooler. Just make sure that
if you used your ale pail for this just be sure you don't forget to
wash/re-sanitize it.

You can do everything here Solo, but a set of helping hands makes
everything a lot easier, particularly moving buckets/pots of near
boiling water. Friends like making (and drinking) beer with you. You
do have friends right?

Total bill:
$35 turkey fryer
$2.50 grain bag
$5 Bucket
$7.50 Floating thermometer (though I suppose a floating thermometer is
a luxury, sticking your hand down into 158*F mash to dig a regular
thermometer out is retarded, go spend the $7 for one that floats you
cheap prick)

I suppose you should buy a real mash paddle (lovely plastic ones are
about $6, quality wooden paddles are around $20-$25), but in my
experience a broom handle works just fine (just remember to sanitize
it/take the broom head off)

Also, for your first all grain batch, use 20% more grain than your
recipe calls for because you'll probably gently caress it up and get lovely
efficiency, secondly don't do an Imperial stout with 18# of malt for
your first time like this dumb rear end in a top hat *points to self* did, because
18# of wet grain is really closer to 40# of wet grain which sucks rear end
if your figuring out how to use your system for the first time.
Make losing your all-grain virginity not-suck by picking a normal
sized recipe instead of trying to handle the BBC of beers.

This method does work, and it works well once you get the hang of it.
Eventually I'll probably buy proper equipment, but for now I'm
focusing on improving my recipes/ingredients. Today I bottled an Amber
Rhubarb Ale, with Lemon and Pink Peppercorn seeds, it was loving
amazing, and it's something =you could never find in a store, even the
good craft beer stores, and I couldn't have done the recipe with an
extract setup.

*Fixed a typo or two

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

Docjowles posted:

As an aside, I forgot how much the old homebrew thread ruled. It ran from 2008 to 2011 and ended up in the Goldmine.

If you do a quick google search of "arjaarg beer" you'll find many examples of how this newer, arjaag-free thread is superior to the old one.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

RiggenBlaque posted:

If you do a quick google search of "arjaarg beer" you'll find many examples of how this newer, arjaag-free thread is superior to the old one.

I miss ajaarg. All the best beer advice comes steeped in vitriol.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

Like any true sperglord, he really did know his stuff

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
He did have the info, it's true. Too bad he was such an rear end and had to be right all the time.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BerkerkLurk posted:

I've double decocted a Hef before and I don't remember it being too dark. I did 10 minute decoction boils instead of 30, of course.

Edit: In the wheat book by Heironymous he says decoction mashes are traditional for Hefeweizen, but hardly any German breweries do it anymore.

Gordon Strong says many, if not most German breweries have gone to the Hochkurz high-short routine in lieu of decoction mashing things. That doesn't mean its a better or even equivalent method, it's just interesting to note.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

zedprime posted:

I miss ajaarg. All the best beer advice comes steeped in vitriol.

The guy at my LHBS is a total dickbag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I'd really love to get into doing decoction mashing and such, but I just got a bill for $99,000.00 from my student loans. :stare: