Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005
Body Parts...that are edible

Soul Glo posted:

- No guns, which I knew going in, but it feels weird. Also miss being able to destroy anybody, if Lego Batman can, why not Lego Cops?

The police outfit does get to shoot, but it isn't a gun in the normal sense. The fourth outfit (not counting civilian; the white outline) gets a gun that can get a red brick upgrade to destroy almost all vehicles in a single shot.

Chase can't destroy anyone for a reason: paperwork. That's my justification.

There is a character named Frankie Spoilers who actually gives a bit of a spoiler that is also advice. It seems so random at the time, but if you remember...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Aaaaaand I just had my first Wii U freeze. Weird. Was either just exiting YouTube or entering Netflix, was browsing the internet on my phone and on autopilot, not sure which application I was trying to use. Stuck on "Wii U Menu" white screen. Sound is still coming out of the tv.

gently caress, I'd hope since mine hadn't done it at all that the patch had fixed it.

Let me take the game out of the console, but had to pull the plug to fix it. :smith:

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Very quick first thoughts about Lego City Undercover:

-Boy does this game have some long-rear end load times.
-I know it's probably to be expected, but it's not the greatest looking game in the world.
-Those two bad things out of the way, my first very big positive is that this is probably the funniest game I've played in a while. The humor isn't awkward or forced, and there's a nice combination of poking fun at cop stories, little pop culture jokes, and the physical humor that the Lego games have kind of been known for since the PS2 days. At the very least, I'll enjoy going through the story of this game, it's kept me laughing pretty good.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

Lego City Undercover comes with Nintendo Points. Also is a pretty decent game, but I'm still looking forward to Need for Speed shipping from Origin.

Okay, so an hour or so in, here we go:

- The frame rate really starts chugging when your car is up to speed. Like, pretty bad. Also, there's a fair amount of pop-in.
- Some cars handle better than your first police car, so don't dispair right away.
- The humor's made for kids, but I've laughed a couple times.
- Only GamePad support, and I don't see how it would work only on the GamePad, so don't expect off tv play.
- No guns, which I knew going in, but it feels weird. Also miss being able to destroy anybody, if Lego Batman can, why not Lego Cops?

It's okay. Not great, maybe south of good. But okay. Could improve or worsen once I get further in.

My impressions are a little more positive than yours, but I'm not dismissing yours. I did notice the frame rate chugging a little at times, but not enough to effect the game. I didn't notice the pop-in, so my guess is that its not very dramatic or noticeable unless you're looking for it. As for the humor, I'm about an hour in also and I've laughed at almost every line, but then again I'm pretty juvenile. :)

The no guns and lack of off-TV play are pretty disappointing, but so far this is my favorite game for Wii U (I only have Mario, Zombi, and NintendoLand). I hope they have DLC for it down the line to open up new missions and areas. It's a fun game.

Lack of anti-aliasing is my number one complaint. Good lord. In a game where it's 95% straight edges, zero AA looks god awful. Even 2x AA would have been miles better.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My impressions:

It starts with a long rear end loading screen which I can understand if it's loading the city. But in fact it's actually loading the menu, new game or continue, or whatever, then as soon as I start it's another long rear end(minute plus) loading screen.

But honestly that's the worst of it. Past that the long loading seems to only be between chapters. The first car handles like rear end but other random cars I picked up are fine. The humor is childish, but cute. The physical comedy works a lot better than the dialogue comedy. I hope I get to hang out with Columbo cop though. Everyone in the game world is a moron that can't do simple tasks like pronounce common words, but I like that. Even your protagonist is not the sharpest tool in the shed. The seriously low IQ of everyone involved is really probably the funniest thing(in a good way).

I've really enjoyed the gameplay so far, I got up through doing the level where you climb a building. This has a lot of fun platforming, moreso than most sandboxes I'm aware of. I plan to zip through most of the story before unlocking stuff, since ability upgrades seem to come through story missions. Hope it's suitably long.

By the way, I wasn't paying attention to tutorial text when I got in the first car, I missed how to handbrake, does anyone know? It seems like if I jerk the pad in the direction I'm turning it will become a super sharp handbrake turn, is that right? Also please tell me you get a sprint at some point.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Droid Washington posted:

Lack of anti-aliasing is my number one complaint. Good lord. In a game where it's 95% straight edges, zero AA looks god awful. Even 2x AA would have been miles better.

Oh god this. This is a very jaggy game.

Also, every time I hear the word compuper I cringe a little.

edit: They are doing a fantastic job making Chase McCain every Cop Who Plays By His Own Rules Ever. I laughed out loud, very audibly, at "Weren't you a blonde before?" I may have to get the Lego set with him it.

edit2: Also, I totally recognize some real life Lego sets in the game. I've already seen the Emporium Shop and the Forest Police Station.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 20, 2013

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Need for Speed: Most Wanted is supposed to have some pretty dope multiplayer. I'm probably gonna try it out once Origin ships my copy next week, so add me if you're also getting the game and we can try to get goon games going. Should be able to find me on the Miiverse by searching for sa_soul_glo. I think there was a Nintendo ID thread at some point, but I think it's dead.

Can anybody confirm/deny that the GamePad's mic can be used in NfS?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Soul Glo posted:

I think there was a Nintendo ID thread at some point, but I think it's dead.

There were four new posts today so that's something http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3517962

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I'm about to start Monster Hunter downloading and go to bed. Can anybody confirm what exactly I need to to in order to make sure it downloads overnight uninterrupted? I just turned off the auto shutoff but want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Artix posted:

Unless Nintendo built in some override for if a download gets interrupted when you have it set to "Turn off when downloads are done," I have no idea why it's doing this.

Pretty sure that's how it works on the 360 and PS3 too. If you're downloading whle in low-power mode (360) or on the "turn off when finished" screen (PS3) and the console loses connection, it just turns off.

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005

greatn posted:

My impressions:

It starts with a long rear end loading screen which I can understand if it's loading the city. But in fact it's actually loading the menu, new game or continue, or whatever, then as soon as I start it's another long rear end(minute plus) loading screen.

But honestly that's the worst of it. Past that the long loading seems to only be between chapters. The first car handles like rear end but other random cars I picked up are fine. The humor is childish, but cute. The physical comedy works a lot better than the dialogue comedy. I hope I get to hang out with Columbo cop though. Everyone in the game world is a moron that can't do simple tasks like pronounce common words, but I like that. Even your protagonist is not the sharpest tool in the shed. The seriously low IQ of everyone involved is really probably the funniest thing(in a good way).

I've really enjoyed the gameplay so far, I got up through doing the level where you climb a building. This has a lot of fun platforming, moreso than most sandboxes I'm aware of. I plan to zip through most of the story before unlocking stuff, since ability upgrades seem to come through story missions. Hope it's suitably long.

By the way, I wasn't paying attention to tutorial text when I got in the first car, I missed how to handbrake, does anyone know? It seems like if I jerk the pad in the direction I'm turning it will become a super sharp handbrake turn, is that right? Also please tell me you get a sprint at some point.

You don't get to pal around with DaMumbo at any point, but you can play as him. Token location: Auburn side of the Auburn Bay Bridge, if you climb the tower with the free run stuff, the token is at the top.

Jerking the Gamepad will actually make your car jump when moving at a decent speed. I am pretty sure the tutorial lists both brake buttons as handbrake.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Other than the previously mentioned long load times and lack of AA I'm really loving this game.

My favourite part so far is in the prison: An amazing Shawshank Redemption parody

I've seen horses in this game. I hope there's a chance to ride one. :allears:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Droid Washington posted:

Why on earth would you release a game in 2013 without AA?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Chaltab posted:

Why on earth would you release a game in 2013 without AA?

Because I can quit whenever I want, that's why.:cheers:

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005

Cherokee Jack posted:

My favourite part so far is in the prison: An amazing Shawshank Redemption parody

I've seen horses in this game. I hope there's a chance to ride one. :allears:

Go back and check in with Blue. He has plenty of fun things to say.

As far as horses: you do! Frank has an unorthodox method of riding (and feeding) them...

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

75 minutes for Monster Hunter, so I figure Lego City will take just about four hours assuming it comes from the same server. I wasn't entirely sold on it but what the hell, sounds fun.

Cuboidal 64
Sep 29, 2010

Green dick is better than blue dick
Square's officially announced the Wii U version of Deus Ex! Not that everybody didn't already know about it. But Eurogamer's got a write-up about it and it doesn't sound half-bad! Still think it should be like $30, but i'm glad to know it's not just slapping a map onto the GamePad and calling it a day.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
"Turn off after downloads are complete" didn't work for me either. Got to 80% and quit it looks like.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
So Deuce:

- Fixed boss battles
- Better graphics
- All DLC
- Gamepad support

I'd say that makes it worth the price tag.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
I'm kind of curious now what percentage of Wii U owners didn't own a 360/PS3.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Atomicated posted:

I'm kind of curious now what percentage of Wii U owners didn't own a 360/PS3.

Or a pc. We'll find out soon anyway when the sales numbers come in and SquareEnix goes, "Welp, obviously not worth releasing games on that platform."

It's one thing when there's a slight delay in ports-- that happens all the time and lots of people don't mind waiting a few months to play a game on the console of their choice. It's another thing when a game's been out for years and you bought a copy for $7.50 the year before it finally hits a new console.

poo poo's hard to get psyched about.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
I want to take advantage of the Target $50 gift card offer for a new WiiU (getting it for MH and future releases) but does anyone know if it's possible to get actual bundles in store? I know Target has some of their own 'bundles' but from what i can tell it's just the system + game with nothing really in the way of price discount (maybe $5).

I'd love to grab the ZombieU bundle this friday when my bonus comes in, and preferably get a little gift card on the side.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

treeboy posted:

I want to take advantage of the Target $50 gift card offer for a new WiiU (getting it for MH and future releases) but does anyone know if it's possible to get actual bundles in store? I know Target has some of their own 'bundles' but from what i can tell it's just the system + game with nothing really in the way of price discount (maybe $5).

I'd love to grab the ZombieU bundle this friday when my bonus comes in, and preferably get a little gift card on the side.

It's an sku with its own box, so it's probably available in that bundle form in most retail outlets.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I own the PC version of Deus Ex and can just barely run it, having to window that poo poo and turn down settings, so this "best case scenario port" sounds like a great deal if it's a bit cheaper. Redone boss fights and map poo poo alone would have sold me.
I keep remembering the PS4 isn't going to be backwards compatible, so if you wanted to trade in all your PS3 poo poo, now you can still have some of the older games on a next-gen system. I guess that's one way you can look at this.

How easy is it right now to get past region lock on the Wii-U? If I wanted to play my PAL Xenoblade on it, are there homebrew options for that?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

horchata posted:

Does Monster Hunter stack with the Target 2 for 1 deal? I was looking at the website and it says that the game isn't sold in-store.

I bought LEGO, Monster Hunter, and Need For Speed last night using the deal. Saved $50, I guess. Not bad.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Gonna get Deus Ex if only to show publishers that there is a market for mature games on the system. Plus I never got around to playing it on the 360 and heard it had some hiccups anyway so looking forward to that. Square-Enix has become a really strong publisher in the last year or so, pretty surprising even if Eidos is doing all of the hard work.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

So Deuce:

- Fixed boss battles
- Better graphics
- All DLC
- Gamepad support

I bought it on the PC when it came out, but I have to admit I'm considering rebuying it for the technical improvements and added stuff.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
So all I really want to know about Lego City Undercover is can you build or at least modify your own Lego cars?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

So Deuce:

- Fixed boss battles
- Better graphics
- All DLC
- Gamepad support

How does it fix the boss fights? I got it right around release on the PC and the fights were painfully bad. And when it says all DLC does that mean The Missing Link will be included while you play or is it still a separate thing?

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Punch-Out is up in the NA eShop. I've actually never owned or played it before, so I'm pretty psyched.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

axeil posted:

How does it fix the boss fights? I got it right around release on the PC and the fights were painfully bad. And when it says all DLC does that mean The Missing Link will be included while you play or is it still a separate thing?
The boss fight rooms are redone, with sneaking and hacking opportunities. And all the DLC will be integrated into the main storyline, as opposed to accessible at the end. The gamepad features actually sound pretty cool too; you can now scan the environments with the gamepad and see what items enemies are carrying (who has datapads that might have passwords and whatnot).

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

axeil posted:

The DLC is properly integrated into the narrative. So The Missing Link and Rescue Tong happen where they're supposed to, instead of Missing Link being a segmented experience. I haven't seen the reworked bosses yet, but if I had to guess they might have made them more like the boss battle in The Missing Link. So instead of a really awful arena deathmatch deal you have this larger area with enemies like any other place and you can approach the fight in different ways, perhaps even stealth killing the boss.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

axeil posted:

Missing Link is included. Can't know on boss fights, they've been redesigned from the ground up.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Benly posted:

So all I really want to know about Lego City Undercover is can you build or at least modify your own Lego cars?

Not in the first two hours, but that far in and the only building I've seen is "spend 8,000 bricks to auto-build a car-spawning station."

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005

Benly posted:

Only the color, unfortunately. The car system works a bit weirdly, anyway. You find tokens that allow you to pay a one time fee, then you can get those cars at certain spots in the game. Every time you get one delivered, you can pick the color. However, finding the nitrous for all cars"
cheat can be done reasonably early in the game, and then you'll want to just commandeer crappy cars for entertainment purposes. Later in the game is another cheat (cars delivered anywhere) that makes purchasing them worthwhile again. You'll break cars and flip them often, so it is nice to not feel too invested in them.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Zeeman posted:

Punch-Out is up in the NA eShop. I've actually never owned or played it before, so I'm pretty psyched.

There are a lot of classic Nintendo games everyone tells you you should love, but Punch-Out is definitely near the top of my list for NES games, it's just pure fun to me. Psyched to grab it later today.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Punch-out is one of those NES classics that aged perfectly. It never really feels dated, probably because since then there hasnt been many things like it. Hell, the new Punch-out on Wii plays pretty much the same and was still excellent. Speaking of which, buy Punch-out Wii!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Punch-Out truly is a goddamn masterpiece, even years after its release people are still discovering new tricks, hell like a month ago someone discovered how to get the frame perfect star off Don 1 100% of the time.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Miiverse :negative:

Punch-Out is a fair trade though, it's an amazing game. My first time playing it was through Animal Crossing and I think I ended up spending more time trying to beat it than I did actually playing AC.

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree
Holy gently caress, two new games worth playing on the WiiU in the same week. This hasn't happened since 4 months ago when the drat system launched. gently caress you Ubisoft.

Lego City is silly and fun so far but I am barely into the game yet.

• Locked thread