Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Just read Vanished in the Greywalker series - this is actually getting really interesting now. I wasn't a huge fan of Underground, it wasn't bad or anything but wasn't super amazing either, but now the pace is really picking up and it's really getting genuinely good. Also, a lot of the unexplained and confusing parts of the plot of the first book are revealed to have a purpose and are explained, and in retrospect the first book makes considerably more sense now that you can see a glimpse of a larger storyline.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
As a very specific question...does anyone know what shape the ruby in Harry's necklace is? I assume it's a pentagon shape but I saw some "replica" stuff online that had circle rubies in there.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Nigulus Rex posted:

As a very specific question...does anyone know what shape the ruby in Harry's necklace is? I assume it's a pentagon shape but I saw some "replica" stuff online that had circle rubies in there.

It is specifically described as fitting into the center of the pentagram, so it would have to be pentagonal.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

jivjov posted:

It is specifically described as fitting into the center of the pentagram, so it would have to be pentagonal.

But circles fit into pentagons quite easily. If that's all the information we have been given, then either shape could work. And besides, circle is a much more typical shape for a gemstone.

Edit for autocorrect incorrection.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 17, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Grundulum posted:

But circles fit into pentagons quite easily. If that's all the information we have been given, then either shape could work. And besides, circle is a much more typical shape for a gemstone.

Edit for autocorrect incorrection.

I think it was described as fitting "exactly", which to me suggests that it fills the slot with no gaps, which a circular/globular stone wouldn't do.

Just my 2 cents.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
I took that to mean it was the perfect size so it popped right in there and was a secure fit. It could be any shape.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!
The shape and intersecting lines of a pentagram are in important in the Dresdenverse so I'm guessing that Jim meant for the jewel to be seen as pentagonal.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
Quoting from Changes, page 110:

A small, gleaming ruby, bright as a drop of blood, carved in a pentagon, lay in her hand.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Thalamas posted:

A small, gleaming ruby, bright as a drop of blood, carved in a pentagon, lay in her hand.

Well, that would seem to settle things.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Taratang posted:

I took that to mean it was the perfect size so it popped right in there and was a secure fit. It could be any shape.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't an exact fit, though, because Harry has a whole bit about how his pendant is so beat to poo poo that he ends up having to glue the thing in there because this is Harry Dresden and he can never have nice things without some sort of drawback.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Here's a cool Dresden cosplay pic I found in the PYF thead:

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Wow if that pentagram has a ruby in it then those rings are NOT CANON for the Dresden of that book. jesus christ

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Danhenge posted:

Wow if that pentagram has a ruby in it then those rings are NOT CANON for the Dresden of that book. jesus christ

And he isn't even wearing a glove on his left hand :spergin:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Thunderfinger posted:

Where's his hat?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Whizbang posted:

Where's his hat?

I hope this was a joke.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Kwyndig posted:

I hope this was a joke.

Nearly every Harry cosplay I've seen has featured a hat. The first time, I figured it was a little joke. That very quickly loses it's appeal after the twentieth time, though.

So really, kudos to the guy in the photo.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Ornamented Death posted:

Nearly every Harry cosplay I've seen has featured a hat. The first time, I figured it was a little joke. That very quickly loses it's appeal after the twentieth time, though.

It's only funny anymore if it's an intentionally poo poo hat, like a beer helmet or one of those winter hats with the flaps.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Cover Art Dresden is a perfectly valid costuming choice.

Just like jeep-driving Dresden.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Why wouldn't you rock an Indiana Jones Fedora if you looked good doing it?

It's a running joke at this point, might as well embrace it.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Anias posted:

Why wouldn't you rock an Indiana Jones Fedora if you looked good doing it?

Because if you aren't Indiana Jones, you don't.

I was joking about the hat and now I'm sorry for picking at the festering scab that is discussion of Dresden headwear.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Thalamas posted:

Thanks. That clears it up.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Whizbang posted:

Because if you aren't Indiana Jones, you don't.

I was joking about the hat and now I'm sorry for picking at the festering scab that is discussion of Dresden headwear.

Never joke about the hat.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
How about if he was just wearing a Red Sox cap?

...but then that would mean he wouldn't have a duster. Crap!

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
It was a Reds cap actually (at least I'm pretty sure, my book is at work). But the idea loses a bunch of appeal without the rest of the gear.

Nevhix fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 20, 2013

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Definitely Reds. Faeries won't settle for anything but the oldest baseball team.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

mikeycp posted:

Definitely Reds. Faeries won't settle for anything but the oldest baseball team.

Try telling that to the goat :ssh:

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Tempting Fate posted:

It was a Reds cap actually (at least I'm pretty sure, my book is at work). But the idea loses a bunch of appeal without the rest of the gear.

As a Reds fan I did not know why Harry chided the Redcap on that, considering the Reds are a pretty good team these days.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Dietrich posted:

As a Reds fan I did not know why Harry chided the Redcap on that, considering the Reds are a pretty good team these days.

Unless they get to the playoffs that is. :v:

Your new batting cap is awesome though.

Deadbeat
Apr 8, 2003

jivjov posted:

Cover Art Dresden is a perfectly valid costuming choice.

Just like jeep-driving Dresden.

i'm surprised nobody has mention "Harry"'s glasses

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Thunderfinger posted:

Brandon Sanderson, is that you?

Eh, maybe the resemblance was better on recollection.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 20, 2013

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Thunderfinger posted:

Looks like Potter let himself go.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

mikeycp posted:

Unless they get to the playoffs that is. :v:

Your new batting cap is awesome though.

Yeah but when you lose the best pitcher of the year in the first inning of what should have been a series sweep, it tends to throw you off a bit.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I'm probably a bit late to the party with this, but having reread (or more specifically relistened) to Cold Days, I was wondering about two things.

First up: where the hell was Lea during all of this? I get why she wasn't around for the story, seeing as Lea's power could have probably solved or simplified a lot of Harry's problems during Cold Days, but I kinda expected some justification for her absence: Harry could have asked why she wasn't at his birthday party, or could have spotted her covering for Mab's absence at the Outer Gates or something.
Until told otherwise I'm going to pretend that Lea was still covering Harry's duties and was either busy petting Mister, or was doing all the warden-paperwork Harry naturally hadn't bothered with, together with a very exasperated Luccio.

Secondly the "What do you think about them gays"-interlude. I'm not completely against a writer preaching (I think it can be done well), but this was just awkward. Did people complain about the various Harry/Thomas gay jokes and was this Butcher's attempt at apologizing?
As with Lea, I'm just going to make up my own explanation and pretend that Eldest Gruff has a thing for Harry and asked Titania to test out the waters for him.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Raygereio posted:

I'm probably a bit late to the party with this, but having reread (or more specifically relistened) to Cold Days, I was wondering about two things.

First up: where the hell was Lea during all of this? I get why she wasn't around for the story, seeing as Lea's power could have probably solved or simplified a lot of Harry's problems during Cold Days, but I kinda expected some justification for her absence: Harry could have asked why she wasn't at his birthday party, or could have spotted her covering for Mab's absence at the Outer Gates or something.
Until told otherwise I'm going to pretend that Lea was still covering Harry's duties and was either busy petting Mister, or was doing all the warden-paperwork Harry naturally hadn't bothered with, together with a very exasperated Luccio.

I doubt Lea could take over for Mab at the Outer Gates since Mab isn't there so much as she commands the entirety of Winter's forces. And I highly doubt she'd be willing to hand that kind of power over to anyone, let alone Lea. And we'll probably find out later that Lea was running around doing some important faerie nonsense.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

RosaParksOfDip posted:

I doubt Lea could take over for Mab at the Outer Gates since Mab isn't there so much as she commands the entirety of Winter's forces. And I highly doubt she'd be willing to hand that kind of power over to anyone, let alone Lea. And we'll probably find out later that Lea was running around doing some important faerie nonsense.

I hope we get a short story featuring her and some Wardens dealing with "paper work".

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

why oh WHY posted:

I hope we get a short story featuring her and some Wardens dealing with "paper work".

Only if Mister is being petted by Lea the entire time, in addition to the paper work.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Raygereio posted:

I think one theory that was brought up earlier in the thread was that Mab told her to stay the hell away from the situation. Considering we've been told the Lea is pretty much second only to Mab, it seems more likely that the Lady's mantle would flow to her over Sarissa or Molly, and I think Mab would much rather one of them become the Winter Lady than Lea.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

MildShow posted:

I think one theory that was brought up earlier in the thread was that Mab told her to stay the hell away from the situation. Considering we've been told the Lea is pretty much second only to Mab, it seems more likely that the Lady's mantle would flow to her over Sarissa or Molly, and I think Mab would much rather one of them become the Winter Lady than Lea.

She's already the Leanan sidhe, the Gaelic Muse. I doubt she could be the lady, she's already something in her own right. A pawn can become a queen, a rook can't.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Masonity posted:

She's already the Leanan sidhe, the Gaelic Muse. I doubt she could be the lady, she's already something in her own right. A pawn can become a queen, a rook can't.

I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. We have no reason to believe that being the Leanan sidhe is any kind of mantle, or a necessary part of the Winter hierarchy. Lea has a ton of power but she's not instrumental like the Knights or Queens are.

All we know is that the mantles seek out the nearest available host upon the death of their previous host. The only mantles we know about tend to be the capital P Players in the world; the faerie queens, their mortal assassins, gods etc. Lea's position isn't nearly that important in the grand scheme of things and I doubt she couldn't have become the Winter Lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So I finally picked up The Rook yesterday, and I gotta say it hooked me a lot more easily than Greywalker (which I put down and still haven't returned to sometime around... I dunno, just after the dinner date with the auctioneer guy?).

Anyway, all this fairy talk reminded me of the October Daye series, which I have jotted down on a list of potential series I made a few years back... and promptly forgot where or under what context I got the recommendation in the first place. So, anyone ever heard of this one? Any opinions?

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 22, 2013

• Locked thread