Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Kreeblah posted:

Have you noticed the Easter egg we added, though? You probably won't be able to unsee it once you do. I know I can't.

Hahaha, that's the loving best :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Cicero posted:

Oh yeaahhhhh

Thanks, GetWellGamers!
Welp, can't get this to work. And I tried the RF cable on my (definitely working) front-loading NES with my 1999 Trinitron and that didn't work either, so I guess I'm missing something? Is there a trick to RF cables that I don't remember?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Cicero posted:

Welp, can't get this to work. And I tried the RF cable on my (definitely working) front-loading NES with my 1999 Trinitron and that didn't work either, so I guess I'm missing something? Is there a trick to RF cables that I don't remember?

what channel is it set for/what channel were you on?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

HKR posted:

what channel is it set for/what channel were you on?
I tried many combinations. So yeah channel 3 on system and 3 on TV, channel 4 on system and 4 on TV. The Trinitron actually has 3 coax inputs so that took a while (although I'm pretty sure the one labeled 'AUX' is the correct one), and weirdly it has two sets of channels or something? One mode was simply '3' on the TV, another said '3 AUX'. In any case, none of them worked, although simply having the coax cable plugged in seemed to do something (flicking it definitely caused some changes on the screen). Have also tried it on my 14" Toshiba and similarly no dice with any combination of 3/4 on the system and 3/4 on the TV.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I broke down and bought a white DS Lite, a flame-red GBA:SP, Pokemon: SoulSilver, and Pokemon FireRed and Emerald from Hong Kong.

Had to get rid of the money in my Paypal somehow :shrug:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I hope they're genuine carts :shrug:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Well that's weird. The RF switch works fine with my SNES, but still doesn't work with the front-loading NES that works fine with composite. I just read somewhere that systems older than the NES have trouble with the RF switch due to voltage issues, is that a possibility here? I know the NES and SNES have different voltages.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Tusen Takk posted:

I broke down and bought a white DS Lite, a flame-red GBA:SP, Pokemon: SoulSilver, and Pokemon FireRed and Emerald from Hong Kong.

Don't buy from Hong Kong. They are always bootlegs.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Keyboard Kid posted:

Don't buy from Hong Kong. They are always bootlegs.

They were $5 and were to hold me over from getting a flashcart :v:.

Does this mean that it'll convert my GBA into a toaster or will they just die?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Tusen Takk posted:

They were $5 and were to hold me over from getting a flashcart :v:.

Oh yeah dude they are definitely bootleg.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

absolutely anything posted:

Oh yeah dude they are definitely bootleg.

Ah well, I guess I can at least be happy that I helped support the free-market economy!

:cripes:

I figured they weren't legit when all the other copies were around $40. What's wrong with the bootlegs anyways?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

It was the AC adapter after all! Luckily I had one of those crappy "3-in-1" AC adapters hooked up to my SNES mini, so I plugged in the other cable into the NES top loader and now it works. Strange that the RF switch doesn't work with the other NES though.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Kreeblah posted:

Have you noticed the Easter egg we added, though? You probably won't be able to unsee it once you do. I know I can't.

You magnificent bastard.

I knew what it was about half a second after reading this and before scrolling up. Good phrasing.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

After 2 days of my cousin screwing around with the Famicom I got him, having no luck getting it to work (for obvious reasons) it just...

I asked him what he did to get it to work and he told me "I don't know."

What? How? :confused:
Unless his dad busted out the soldering iron while he was asleep I don't get it.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've had my Trinitron lose its ability to do audio for two days, then just start working again. Just accept that :iiam:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I had my PC's PSU stop working for two days, then magically start working again, be fine for two months before dying again for good.

Electronics! :science:

Tumor Baby
Sep 9, 2011

Cicero posted:

Reading this stuff reminds me why I'm glad I waited for a model-2 Famicom + NES to Famicom Converter instead of getting an RF top loading NES. Having AV for my NES and Famicom needs with little to no connection issues feels so good.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Kreeblah posted:

I got tired of seeing you without an avatar, so shymog and I came up with that (it's based on in image doujindance uses in his auctions).

:lol:

I actually didn't notice it, but as soon as I saw what you wrote, I figured I knew what it had to be.

Which just got me realizing that I never really posted the way to 100% fix it; it's "moderately easy" to get rid of if you are using RGB, and "disturbingly difficult" if using s-video or composite.

I think to make a few bucks on the side I might start modding SNES systems with the bar removed and digital/optical/SPDIF audio mod as well to put on eBay but I have no idea what to charge for it that would be both fair and worth my time. I just saw an RGB modded N64 goes for over $100, console only, so I'll probably mod a few of those for extra money to burn on games I don't need and such. But those are way more difficult mostly because finding a launch N64 (the only ones that can be RGB modded) is a pain in the rear end.

Thanks to you and shymog though; that was very cool of you both; if you ever need anything let me know (though this was always the case anyway).

Tumor Baby posted:

Reading this stuff reminds me why I'm glad I waited for a model-2 Famicom + NES to Famicom Converter instead of getting an RF top loading NES. Having AV for my NES and Famicom needs with little to no connection issues feels so good.

The AV Famicom is great but the NES2 is as well. I have a lot of problems getting NES games working in my AV Famicom, so why not simply own both? :retrogames:

Am I the only one here having the problem of wanting duplicate consoles in their setup (for example: a PS2 even though you have a PS1 or hell, even both a PSone and PS1?) yet you have to cut some stuff out because you don't have the space or AV inputs? And then when you start cutting one thing out, you say "well then I might as well cut THIS out as well" and before you know it you are talking yourself into/out of having redundant hardware/selling everything??? It's the worst! /1st world problems

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Am I the only one here having the problem of wanting duplicate consoles in their setup (for example: a PS2 even though you have a PS1 or hell, even both a PSone and PS1?) yet you have to cut some stuff out because you don't have the space or AV inputs? And then when you start cutting one thing out, you say "well then I might as well cut THIS out as well" and before you know it you are talking yourself into/out of having redundant hardware/selling everything??? It's the worst! /1st world problems

:respek: Yup. Why do you think I was asking about pre-analog stick controllers in the thread a few pages back?

I find myself more doing it out of a sense of preserving the higher-end systems, though. I'd be poo poo-scared of playing PS2 games on a backwards-compatible PS3 when a PS2 can be had for like $50.

I just broke out my modchipped PS1 that I don't think had been powered on in about 10 years and it still works! As does the Sony S-Video cable I had to travel to the far reaches of Montreal to find. Feeling a lot less :retrogames: which is good.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

I refuse to mod any of my consoles without having another on hand so I still have a stock console. I finally got a second snes last week so I could do the component output mod on my launch snes.

Now I'm finally looking at Rakuten for a Famicom AV and SFC just for fun.

I'm not hung up on having everything hooked up at once though.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

:lol:

I actually didn't notice it, but as soon as I saw what you wrote, I figured I knew what it had to be.

Which just got me realizing that I never really posted the way to 100% fix it; it's "moderately easy" to get rid of if you are using RGB, and "disturbingly difficult" if using s-video or composite.

I think to make a few bucks on the side I might start modding SNES systems with the bar removed and digital/optical/SPDIF audio mod as well to put on eBay but I have no idea what to charge for it that would be both fair and worth my time. I just saw an RGB modded N64 goes for over $100, console only, so I'll probably mod a few of those for extra money to burn on games I don't need and such. But those are way more difficult mostly because finding a launch N64 (the only ones that can be RGB modded) is a pain in the rear end.

Thanks to you and shymog though; that was very cool of you both; if you ever need anything let me know (though this was always the case anyway).

The AV Famicom is great but the NES2 is as well. I have a lot of problems getting NES games working in my AV Famicom, so why not simply own both? :retrogames:

Hey speaking of which, I have a small problem with the one you did for me:

When the snes is showing a black screen, it's actually blue. I have a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JiCPpBK4-w

See the blue on the borders of the screen? On my non modded SNES, those are black. It's most prominent in the FPS segment in this video, but all games have this.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Crappy cel phone pic of my last order from Amazon.

Cool Spot is that rare licensed game that somehow doesn't suck, whereas WWF Royal Rumble was made by LJN and you can guess what that means. It was a nostalgia buy. My cousin and I used to play it a lot, especially after we discovered that if you didn't go for the 10th punch when you had a guy on the turnbuckles, you could just dismount, go back in and keep hitting the poor sap 9 times. Again and again. And again.

And again.

I guess I had a thing for torturing Doink the Clown.

Also, trying to play Maze Hunter 3d without the glasses :barf:

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Cool spot is a rare game? I remember getting it out of the bargin bin as a kid at Best Buy. It actually /is/ a lot of fun.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tusen Takk posted:

Had to get rid of the money in my Paypal somehow :shrug:

GBA:SP with the backlit screen? Either way, probably my favorite portable system ever. The perfect balance between the oldschool gameboys and the newschool dual screen thingers.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HKR posted:

Hey speaking of which, I have a small problem with the one you did for me:

When the snes is showing a black screen, it's actually blue. I have a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JiCPpBK4-w

See the blue on the borders of the screen? On my non modded SNES, those are black. It's most prominent in the FPS segment in this video, but all games have this.

That definitely has to be from the Sony encoder then. The weird thing is that it didn't come up on my TV at all, or else I wouldn't have even bothered sending it to you (it was part of your Secret Santa gift, correct? It's hard to remember who I sent what and why). The easiest way to tell is that I bet it does not show up in RGB. That's because I completely bypassed any and all encoders for the RGB lines, and installed a Texas Instruments amp. So in RGB, do you get that blue crap and/or the vertical bar? You definitely should get neither. Let me know.

It seems like it is only showing up in the overscan areas? Is that correct? Maybe that's why I didn't see it before I sent it to you; my SNES games display no borders (besides the obvious side-borders from viewing a 4:3 picture unstretched on a 16:9 TV).

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 20, 2013

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
So I found out some incredibly cool stuff recently thanks to this ridiculously interesting website:

http://legendsoflocalization.com

It's always fun when you discover things about video games you thought you already knew everything about.

Here's what I learned from that awesome site!

1) Toad was called Mushroom Retainer in Super Mario Bros. 1 in the USA :psyduck:

2) Pols Voice in the Japanese version of Zelda 1, as we all knew, required you to yell into controller 2 to kill them. In the US release, they are killed by using arrows. This was retained, obviously, in the GBA port of Zelda 1. But what did they do in the Japanese version of Zelda 1 for GBA? Why, force you to press "select" 4 times, of course!

3) This one has me completely floored and I am aghast at not knowing about it until now:

http://legendsoflocalization.com/super-mario-bros/misc/
There are way more crazy worlds in Super Mario Bros. 1 for the Famicom besides just Minus World. Apparently this has been well-known in Japan for decades, and somehow, even with the internet, I managed to not come across this until now:

From that link:

quote:

The trick is this:

Get a Super Mario Bros. cartridge and a Tennis cartridge
Insert the Mario cartridge and turn the system on
Remove the cartridge while the system is still on
Insert the Tennis cartridge with the system still on, then reset
Play the game – toss the ball twice, serve, and then walk around
Remove the Tennis cartridge with the power still on
Insert the Mario cartridge again and reset the game
Use the “continue code” by holding the A Button and pressing Start

If you did everything right, you should start in a new world

The world you start at depends on the number of steps you took while playing Tennis – for each step you take in Tennis, you go up one world in Mario

:stare:

welp, off to find a Famicom copy of Super Mario Bros. 1 as well as Tennis.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

NES games can have such bizarre glitches, I love it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That reminds me of that thing you can do with the "Making of Lunar" CD on PS1. (Or it might have been for Lunar 2?) If you boot up that disc and then take it out when the cinematic plays and replace it with the second disc from Xenogears, it plays the ending for the latter.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Phantasium posted:

That reminds me of that thing you can do with the "Making of Lunar" CD on PS1. (Or it might have been for Lunar 2?) If you boot up that disc and then take it out when the cinematic plays and replace it with the second disc from Xenogears, it plays the ending for the latter.

45 second Xenogears speedrun found

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Oh hey my Neogeo Pocket Color is finally here. And some other things. Let's get the whole gang in for a picture!

I don't even remember how I fell down this weird NGPC rabbit hole. :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

absolutely anything posted:

Oh hey my Neogeo Pocket Color is finally here. And some other things. Let's get the whole gang in for a picture!

I don't even remember how I fell down this weird NGPC rabbit hole. :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:

Probably when someone posted an overpriced one in a thrift shop or whatever recently.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Everybody should play Cardfighters Clash.

Every company should've made a Cardfighters themed game.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

1) Toad was called Mushroom Retainer in Super Mario Bros. 1 in the USA :psyduck:

Was this from before they made Toad an actual character? I figure it means "retainer" as in royal servant/subject.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Probably when someone posted an overpriced one in a thrift shop or whatever recently.

Yeah you know that's probably it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone have any thoughts on the best Dreamcast VGA box and where to find it for the best price?

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Harlock posted:

Everybody should play Cardfighters Clash.

Every company should've made a Cardfighters themed game.

I remember the summer of 2000 when I was working for Gamers.com (back when they headhunted nearly the entire staff of Ziff Davis' game mags). We all got to go to a Giants game in SF for one reason or another, back when Bonds was king and the place was new and incredibly atmospheric, and none of us paid attention to the game. All us nerds did was play Cardfighters Clash with each other in the stands.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on the best Dreamcast VGA box and where to find it for the best price?

There's debate as to whether or not there's really any difference between them all. Unfortunately, the ones that came out in the Dreamcast's heyday are ridiculously expensive now (like $90+). However, if you are handy with a soldering iron, you can put a VGA port on your Dreamcast for almost nothing.

If you are not good with a soldering iron, this dude was just discovered selling VGA boxes he himself makes:

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?42388-Dreamcast-VGA-box-amp-Scanline-generator

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Someone needs to find the place where all these third party manufacturers are getting their console connectors (AV and controller). I'm tired of gutting stuff just to get at those parts.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

There's debate as to whether or not there's really any difference between them all. Unfortunately, the ones that came out in the Dreamcast's heyday are ridiculously expensive now (like $90+). However, if you are handy with a soldering iron, you can put a VGA port on your Dreamcast for almost nothing.

If you are not good with a soldering iron, this dude was just discovered selling VGA boxes he himself makes:

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?42388-Dreamcast-VGA-box-amp-Scanline-generator

:catstare:

I didn't realize they had gone up so much, i have a blue naki and a hais. Think i'll look at the instructions for modding the console and sell the externals to fund more dreamcast games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HKR posted:

Someone needs to find the place where all these third party manufacturers are getting their console connectors (AV and controller). I'm tired of gutting stuff just to get at those parts.

Hey you never responded to my post about the SNES!

• Locked thread