Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Corgi posted:

I'm betting most of you here have heard of Hatoful Boyfriend, the pigeon dating sim. If you haven't, here you go.

Anyway, apparently the author is doing some kind of sequel and has put out a call asking for bird photos. So if any of you would like to try and get your birds into a bird dating sim, have at it. The first one was a pretty funny game.

Gonna send ALL the Ohtori photos. I kind of hope his unusualness gives him an edge, because the thought of my parrot in a dating sim is just hilarious. More so if they gave him a sweet, gentle, kind personality.

E: Eating sausage, his new foraging wheel, their new stand.

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

My username, and my bottle of Chardonnay, just inspired me to start an A/T thread -- [ASK] Me about being a bird!

Like, a thread about parrots and bird ownership, from the perspective of a green cheek conure. I'm not going to do it but I'm pretty sure it is loving brilliant.

You should absolutely do this. It'd be both informative and hilarious! Pet Island isn't JUST made up of lunatics obsessed with the color and consistency of their pets' poop! We have a sense of humor! Really!

:derptiel::hf::byodood: ~* BIRD CRAZIES 4 LYFE *~ :byodame::hf::derptiel:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

My wife is an Artist

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

What is the commonly held wisdom with birds and dogs?

Growing up I had a cockatiel (who still lives with my mom to this day) that was pretty much given free range of the house despite having a dog. We never left him shut up in his cage, the door was always open, and our dog was allowed to roam the house as well, even when we werent home.

The dog was a terrier (A rat terrier, to be specific) which would have made me mortified to leave them alone together if i wasnt like, 8. I didnt know poo poo about the dynamics of dog and bird though, however my dog and my bird never interacted and really just lived seperate lives.

Nitro, my dog, is just so disinterested in everything and completly apathetic towards most stimuli that its not surprising that he never went after my Tiel. This has to be a special case, though, right? Every story Ive ever read about so called dog/bird interaction always ends up with a foot note like "When our bird was seven the dog swiped at it trying to play with it and killed it, because he was 30 lbs and the bird was 3 oz".

Do any of you let your dogs and birds comingle? I feel like its incredibly wreckless to allow them to be together, but i grew up with a one in a million dog that just doesnt give a poo poo and only wants to crawl under blankets all day so ive got a weird bias. Is my dog crazy strange, or is it pretty common for dogs and birds to get along? I have a dog of my own now (boxer puppy) and hes just so goddamned crazy active and rambunctious that the idea of even letting him near a pet bird would be disastrous.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 18, 2013

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
In Zippy's previous home they actually bred small dogs. She ignores dogs and they ignored her for the most part.

It depends entirely on the dog, and how big your parrot is (not many dogs are going to gently caress with a large mackaw, for example).

I love Boxers but you should really wait to see if he mellows out before introducing him to anything so fragile as a bird.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

There was a golden retriever at Ohtori's breeder's home, and it paid no attention whatsoever to the birds, even when Ohtori escaped or they brought in a Hahn's macaw to say hello. We (and the cake) were far more interesting. It didn't care even when outside around the aviaries, or the free roaming ducks and chickens, either.

My first dog, a seven year old Border Collie who came from a farm, would not have given two shits either. For a collie, she was completely broken-very laid back, never nipped, only ever showed herding instinct towards trains, could be left all day or not walked and she wouldn't act out (except to sit next to you and sigh really loudly), she just didn't care. She only acknowledged my finches when they were put outside, because she could sit beside them and wait for cats to show up. I think she would have been in more danger of Ohtori than the other way around.

The current family dog is a BC cross, who again came from a farm, when he was about eight months old. He also sits guard over the now-single finch when it's put outside, but doesn't show interest in the finch itself. He would probably listen if you told him to leave a free range parrot alone. However, I have no doubt that once the human's back was turned, he would attempt to herd or catch or just otherwise interact with the bird and injure or kill it, by accident or not.

So like Kenshin says, it depends entirely on the dog how they'd react to the bird/s. My first dog, sure, she might have completely ignored a bird. Still, a smack of her paw or her standing on the bird could hurt it, and the bird nipping her could have made her instinctively snap or kick or whatever. I'm sure it could be done with supervision and a dog with a suitable personality, but it isn't something I'd personally risk. Which makes me worry for when we have the space and time to get a dog :saddowns:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Yeah frankly I'd like to keep a small dog or cat as well, but both my birds are out of their cages a lot and occassionally fly down onto the floor, so it seems like it'll be a bit dangerous, I'd wouldn't risk it unless you don't leave them in a room together.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I just don't trust other pets around my birds. Even if they're the biggest sweetest gentlest guys they could accidentally kill the bird just by trying to play with it. I've heard many many good stories about the relationship between one owner's dogs and birds or cats and birds but I just can't shake the feeling that it's an accident waiting to happen.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

mikerock posted:

My wife is an Artist

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I definitely just barfed a little after seeing that. I guess in bird-land that means I think it's adorable? Great.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Hahaha my wife is going to love it

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

What is the commonly held wisdom with birds and dogs?

We have a foster Am Staff mix right now, and to be honest, the dog is scared of the bird. We can leave them alone for a little bit, and its very doubtful that anything would happen, but we still dont leave them alone for long amounts of time, because, as you say, all it takes is one quick mood change, one swipe and then its tragedy.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

It's a boy! :toot:

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

Meme Emulator posted:

Dog Questions

Honestly? I think it just depends on the temperament of the dog.

For example, one of the owners at the store where I picked my bird up has always let her dogs wander around the store unsupervised. Granted, most of them were toy breeds that were barely larger than the birds that they were selling, but they still never seemed to show any signs of aggression toward any of the birds there. On the opposite spectra of things, her new, massive shiloh shepherd puppy wasn't a problem either the last time I was there. I was even able to bring my bird about a foot and half in front of his face without him reacting to her at all.

Maybe her dogs are simply acclimatized toward birds due to being around them all the time, but I honestly couldn't say for sure. If you want to have a bird and a dog in the same house, I'd recommend just getting them around the same time and then letting them get to know each other while you're around to supervise things. In the event that you can't establish a good connection between them, then you can just make sure that you keep your eye on your dogs and your birds whenever they're both out and about at the same time. That's what I've done for my pets back home, and it's worked for me so far.

SaNChEzZ posted:

And congratulations! How old is the little fella?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Thanks! He's just over a year :)

As for dog talk, we had a derp when I was younger, and always had dogs, mainly labs at that time. They really didn't see her as a threat, whenever the bird was on the floor they were kinda meh. I also used to give the bird dog rides, which she actually was rather fond of haha.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

SaNChEzZ posted:

Yay, happy sexday, Ritz! :3:

Man I should send some of Sunny's feathers for analysis too, I'm pretty sure he's a guy bird, but I'm not sure. Wouldn't make any difference, but I'm curious.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Steve has spent all day sat on the perch stand on the window sill, watching the snow fall and birds fly by. I'm surprised though because he's actually been singing and mumbling words (both very badly) and headbanging. It's nice to see and hear, he hasn't done it in so long.

At one point he got himself wedged between the stand and the wall while trying to pull a toilet roll tube over and slowly slid down the wall, his wings outstretched and face smushed against the wall, too confused to do anything until he plopped to the ground. :derptiel:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

This has been bugging me since I started posting in here, Battle Pigeon, but what the hell is Mort?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Mort is a ghost from the webcomic Gunnerkrigg Court. It's drawn by a goon, Tea-san, and is a really great read. The early art is somewhat off but it quickly gets better, so don't let that put you off. http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archives/

Occasionally the mysterious avatar fairy comes into the GC discussion thread and gives everyone in there who doesn't already have one a GC avatar. That's why there are so many Mort ones, for example, they were all bought at the same time by some unknown person/s. The Coyote avatars come from the same comic.

Page the avatar is from: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1091

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Nothing like an after dinner nap. I made salmon, one of his faves.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Look at that little stubby tail. :3:

Here is Steve making noises from earlier. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30cOYu3NwGQ

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I wish I could get video footage of when he fluffs out his tail. It's pretty awesome.

edit: It sounds like your buddy is trying to do a song he learned. Is that right?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Yeah, there are various songs of his mixed up together there. He knows (mostly) the Imperial March, and there's this other specific one that's his favourite that was taught to him by his previous owner. For some reason here he doesn't sing a single one of the things he knows and just garbles everything up. In his defense, it has been a long time since he last sung like that.

E: There's a video of him uploaded by his previous owner on Youtube, of him singing. For some reason I've never watched it before-just got the URL from a screenshot of his advert, typed it in now, and am watching him from 2010. :3:

E2: Woah, he's never sounded like that while living here. He's acting like a normal 'tiel in this video! Though, he was only a year old in it, and living without a horrible bullying conure. His previous owner was a musician and it says that the bird would sing along with him as he practised. :3:

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 20, 2013

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

All birds love John Williams showtunes. Don't worry about him mashing things up. Hannah does it too.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

This is the latest fun:

He's been pulling this toy into his hut and demolishing it in a matter of a day or two. I'll come home from work and his entire food bowl will be full of wood chips, as will the hut. Crazy bird.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Look at that loving face. Conures know that they're pure evil dipped in adorbs.

Edit: I just accidentally discovered Rosy loving loves Tori Amos. She instantly stops being a bitey horrible hormonal bitch and just... poofs and extends her neck a bit and closes her eyes. It's awesome and adorable but if I have to listen to this song one more time I might scream. Does mysafebirdstore sell cockatiel-sized headphones?

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 20, 2013

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Could be a risky proposition getting Rosy into Tori Amos. She's going to wind up sitting in the back of cage listening to Little Earthquakes and quietly making sad warks to herself.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ever since I taught Ohtori to roll over on command, as well as flipping over when he's tantruming and full of fury, he's been doing it at other times now-like when he wants something, if waving, spinning, and eagleing isn't working, he'll roll over. Steve had some corn and 'Tori came over to take it from him, Steve hissed and beak banged, and 'Tori rolled over and kicked at him (he got the corn, stood back up eating it, and stood on Steve's head when the potato tried to grab it back). Point at him and pretend to be telling him off, he'll lean then roll over. This from a bird who refused to even think about lying on his back when we first got him.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Look at that loving face. Conures know that they're pure evil dipped in adorbs.

Edit: I just accidentally discovered Rosy loving loves Tori Amos. She instantly stops being a bitey horrible hormonal bitch and just... poofs and extends her neck a bit and closes her eyes. It's awesome and adorable but if I have to listen to this song one more time I might scream. Does mysafebirdstore sell cockatiel-sized headphones?

Another way my birds are broken-music has no effect on them. Steve does whistle a bit of classical music though :derptiel:

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Frankie is crazy into Abba. Put on 'Dancing Queen' and you'll get a little tiny dancing dinosaur-bird.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Scout likes my wife's music: Beyonce, Lady Gaga, etc.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Peep goes BALLISTIC if you play Whitney Houston's "Your Love is My Love". Beep used to like "United States of Eurasia" by Muse - I still can't hear the breakdown part of that song without hearing "Eurasia" "BEEP BEEP"

Chicken in Black
May 22, 2005

So lovely
My 'tiel loves Wake Up, Little Susie and screeches joyfully if I play it for him. Then there is much whistling and heart-wings.

Goofy bird

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I don't know what Anais and Hunter are into since they don't show a preference one way or the other but Elle likes indie rock (especially The Walkmen and Death Cab for Cutie) and Archer really likes Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds and metal. Oh, and Charlie starts bobbing his head a lot when Led Zeppelin comes on.

thomas kingo
Apr 6, 2008
My budgie, Pancho, is one awesome budgie in every way. Ever since his buddy, Lefty, died about 8 months ago, me and my girlfriend gave Pancho all the attention in the world until we could manage getting another budgie. And now he has turned into this super tame little bird guy with tons of personality. He's always out of his cage, sits on my shoulder while I'm working, plays on the desk, walks with me around the house, is extremely talkative, sweet and playful. Just... the perfect bird for us, basically. Well, my girlfriend's starting school again and I have to work out of the house more often which means that Pancho will be alone a lot longer than he's normally used to, so naturally we've been thinking about getting a new friend for him. The thing is: I'm really, really scared that we'll destroy the amazing bond we have with him. I don't want him to be alone all day, but I also don't wish for him to turn back into the human-hating bird he was when Lefty was alive.

Is there anyway to avoid this happening?

thomas kingo fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 21, 2013

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Try getting another tame/hand raised budgie, and then just spend lots of time together when you are around?

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
I'm in trouble.

My husband and I both bonded (independently!) with the same cockatiel at the pet store. She's (I think it's a girl based on behavior) really quiet and sweet, and climbs all around her cage to hang out with us. She's constantly trying to gently beak/lick us and played some weird game where she'd peep when my husband pointed at her. She's awesome.

But I think I might be allergic... I posted in The Goon Doctor, but basically: I got pretty sick with allergy symptoms while we were at the store last night, and I still haven't stopped sneezing, 17 hours and lots of allergy meds later. However, I didn't get sick when I spent 2 hours at the local bird shelter (full of dusty, unbathed cockatoos) Monday, and I haven't had allergies any other time I've visited birds. I actually went twice yesterday, and only got sick the second time. Plus I don't get bumpy or red when they scratch/bite me.

I really want this bird. I also really don't want to bring this bird home only to get sick and have to get rid of her.

Does anyone have friends that are allergic to birds? Does it usually last for a day after bird exposure? What should I do?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I don't know how familiar you are with allergies, but that doesn't sound like them at all. Allergies will generally respond very well to Benadryl and such, because it's a histamine reaction and your body goes haywire on innocuous stuff, the pathway for which antihistamines block. If it's still happening then that indicates it's not a histamine reaction causing your sneezing.

While it's possible you've just developed a delayed sensitivity to it, if you didn't feel anything hanging out with a bunch of cockatoos or your first visit and the antihistamines are having no effect that points to it being something other than an allergy problem. You probably just got a cold bug of some kind. If you want to be doubly sure, wait until your symptoms subside and return for another visit and see if you get the same reaction.

Source: I was allergic to everything except trees, and I'm still explosively allergic to rabbits.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I am allergic to anything that lives outside, minus birds for whatever reason. When I get allergies (see: a few times a month) it's a constant runny nose, sneezing, no matter what I take. Benadryl, claritin, allegra D etc.

You might want to go see an allergist and have them run a test for bird dander/down to see if you are in fact allergic.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

If you got sick from a pet store but not a bird store/rescue, it's possible that its from another animal at the store. The pet stores near me either sell cats or at least allow dogs and cats in the store, and some even have training sessions in the store for dogs. It's possible you were exposed to something else entirely, but without being tested for allergies it's hard to know for sure.

If you do ever get tested by an allergist, you might have to specifically ask for birds. I had to, since its neither a common allergy nor something all that common to be exposed to, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

What would you guys recommend for a bird friendly air purifier?