Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

RiggenBlaque posted:

Has anyone had that Game of Thrones Ommegang release? Is it worth getting or just a marketing gimmick?

It's tasty. I mean, it's nothing amazing but it's pretty much what a Belgian golden ale is supposed to taste like. It's not like a Dogfish Head gimmick, it's just a straightforward decent beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
For the DC area people, this is the best reference I can find for CBC stuff: http://www.dcbeer.com/cbc2013

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Any PA or Ohio goons (maybe even NY) going to the Voodoo Brewery barrel release on Saturday? I've only had a few of their beers in the past and none of the barrel aged stuff but I have nothing else going on Saturday so I thought I'd check it out.

http://voodoobrewery.com/barrelroomcollection-release.php

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

RiggenBlaque posted:

Am I the only one who actually doesn't really dig those cans? I think it's the base color making it look like an old 70's can of Billy Beer that I can't get behind.

Nope, I think they look hipster as gently caress, in a bad way. Deschutes did the retro-izing better, in my opinion. I liked the fish, if not just for the "why is there a fish on this beer? what is a sculpin? ohhhhhhhh" reaction.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

funkybottoms posted:

guaranteed to be better than Virginia Strawberry, anyway.

Aiming high, I see. And I can't believe Mekong has 32 taps now. That's absurd in the best way.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Next week, Thursday, I'm making a day trip to Grand Rapids the only definite on the to do list is Founders (KBS but also to check out the tap room). For anyone familiar with the area if you had to pick 1 or maybe 2 more spots to hit, what would they be?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

ChiTownEddie posted:

Next week, Thursday, I'm making a day trip to Grand Rapids the only definite on the to do list is Founders (KBS but also to check out the tap room). For anyone familiar with the area if you had to pick 1 or maybe 2 more spots to hit, what would they be?

I know a guy there who raves about Brewery Vivant a lot.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

ChiTownEddie posted:

nobody did a Michigan entry in the goon beer wiki?

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

lifts cats over head posted:

Any PA or Ohio goons (maybe even NY) going to the Voodoo Brewery barrel release on Saturday? I've only had a few of their beers in the past and none of the barrel aged stuff but I have nothing else going on Saturday so I thought I'd check it out.

I was planning on it but turns out I'm gonna be handing out cheese samples like all day for Wine on the Lake. Not sure if I'm upset about it cause most likely I'm gonna get paid to drink wine and eat cheese.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChiTownEddie posted:

I've never been but HopCat is supposed to be one of the best beer bars on the planet. You'll also likely be passing through Kalamazoo so, y'know, Bells.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

ChiTownEddie posted:

I've heard good things about Greenbush in Sawyer, but I've never been.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
E: ^^ Oh yeah Greenbush, I liked it when I went last summer. I'll see about stopping.

funkybottoms posted:

Ridiculous, right? haha.

Brewery Vivant I've only tried maybe 2 of their beers and they were the "too sweet for me abbey style" stuff. I'll put it on the list tho hehe.

I won't be hitting KZoo this time. Its a specific trip to Grand Rapids. I make it to Bells 3-4x a year so that's okay. I'll look into HopCat, thanks.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

lifts cats over head posted:

I'm headed down from Rochester NY Friday night and staying in a hotel down the road with a buddy ($100 total for the weekend, so it's pretty cheap). There seems to be a bottle share that will happen in line or during the day Saturday.

I plan on bringing the following
Terrapin"s Wake N Bake (2012)
SN/DFH Life & Limb 2 (2011)
Ithaca's Flower Power (Fresh)
BCBS (2009)
Cigar City's Hunahpu (2013)

I was also thinking about bringing down 4 different flavors of FiftyFiftys BA Eclipses (EC 12 Year, Old Fitzgerald, Evan Williams and Bernheim Wheat Whiskey) But we'll see.

People on BA are going nuts though talking about getting in line at at midnight or as earlier as 5pm the day before. Keep in mind it's supposed to be in the low 20's at night.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChiTownEddie posted:

Oh yeah Greenbush, I liked it when I went last summer. I'll see about stopping.

Had a friend last year make a similar trip to what you're planning and stopped at Greenbush on the way up... Ended up getting food poisoning there and spent the entire trip (HopCat, Founders, Bells, etc.) taking one sip of a beer then 20 minutes vomiting.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

danbanana posted:

Had a friend last year make a similar trip to what you're planning and stopped at Greenbush on the way up... Ended up getting food poisoning there and spent the entire trip (HopCat, Founders, Bells, etc.) taking one sip of a beer then 20 minutes vomiting.

Suddenly I am re-thinking the stop.
But seriously, that sucks.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChiTownEddie posted:

Suddenly I am re-thinking the stop.
But seriously, that sucks.

Yeah, it was during All Stouts Day, too...

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Also vouching for the Founders/Hopcat route. Also chiming in to say that my stop at Bell's Eccentric Cafe was pretty disappointing but your mileage may vary.

I think GR has 2 or 3 new breweries that have opened up in the past year as well

intangir
Oct 22, 2008

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Also vouching for the Founders/Hopcat route. Also chiming in to say that my stop at Bell's Eccentric Cafe was pretty disappointing but your mileage may vary.

I think GR has 2 or 3 new breweries that have opened up in the past year as well

Grand Rapids Brewing recently re-opened just down the street from HopCat, if I remember right they're owned by the same people. There's also Perrin which is kind of out of the way north of the city, and Harmony, which isn't far from Vivant. So far I have yet to visit any of these but HopCat always has great stuff.

My favorite in town is Brewery Vivant but I'm biased since I love Belgians. Their Tripel is one of my favorites and their quad (Hubris) is great too and both were still on tap when I was there on Saturday.

umop apisdn
May 22, 2003
upside down

ChiTownEddie posted:

They've only been open a year, but I'm good family friends with the guys who own Harmony Brewing company in Easttown. Their Golden Lion Tamarin is excellent, so is their stout and birthday barleywine. Their pizza is even better than their beer.
Barry, the owner, is usually behind the bar, and he's a huge homebrew geek, a great person to talk beer with.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
What the heck? Oak Park Micro Brew Review tickets are already on sale?
http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/357885

Also thanks for all the recommendations guys.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChiTownEddie posted:

What the heck? Oak Park Micro Brew Review tickets are already on sale?
http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/357885

Also thanks for all the recommendations guys.

This literally took place outside of my door last year (and maybe the year before, though I was out of town that day) but I didn't go. Is it worth it?

Last year Phil's decided to bring out big guns that weekend. If I remember correctly, Parabola, FW XV, Sucaba, Angel's Share, bottles of Love Child, BCBS (when it was still hard to find) were all available...

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Last week I had Russian River's Supplication for the first time at The Trappist in Oakland and thought it was pretty drat tasty. Perfectly tart, just the right amount of sweetness... can anyone recommend a sour with a similar flavor profile? It goes for about $12-$15 a bottle over here and while I'll no doubt purchase one from time to time, I'd like to try a few more like it.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

danbanana posted:

This literally took place outside of my door last year (and maybe the year before, though I was out of town that day) but I didn't go. Is it worth it?

Hah, good spot to live.
Hm. There were a lot of options, a lot of local stuff including one of the first chances to try something like Begyle (not too special IMO). Overall I'd say I had fun as more a hang out with friends on a beautiful summer day [with some beers] rather than having fun in the "Holy crap I just tried a bunch of really amazing beer" respect.
Of course that meant I got far drunker than I normally do at beer fests...I'll probably go again because my high school friends who still live in OP/FP/RF will go.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

ChiTownEddie posted:

Definitely hit up Brewery Vivant, super cool spot and great beer. If you have the chance to hit Greenbush in Sawyer, it's about an hour and a half drive south, do so. New Holland has great beer as well. You could always do the Bell's brewery tour as well if you want to see what a huge craft beer facility looks like, but it's pretty meh if you like low-key and personal.

danbanana posted:

Whoa this sucks, sorry to hear about your friend, this was absolutely not my experience with Greenbush.

hellfaucet fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 20, 2013

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

intangir posted:

Grand Rapids Brewing recently re-opened just down the street from HopCat, if I remember right they're owned by the same people. There's also Perrin which is kind of out of the way north of the city, and Harmony, which isn't far from Vivant. So far I have yet to visit any of these but HopCat always has great stuff.

Perrin is fantastic. It was started by two randos, one of which had nothing to do with beer before it (and it bears his name), and some beer geek from out east. But they managed to get Nate Walser as their brewmaster (helped develop Centennial, Dirty Bastard, and KBS while he was head brewer at Founders), and have been brewing up a pretty interesting mix of beers since they opened. They mix up what's on the taps pretty often, but I've liked both the regular and Kona brown ales a LOT, and some of the pale ales (they keep coming up with different varietys, I can't keep them straight) and imperial stout were also both really good. If you can find time, I'd really take the 15 minutes it takes to drive there from downtown (route advice, take 131 to West River, then Division up to 7 mile; avoid Alpine if you can at all, it's a parking lot), and at least try some samples, they sell ~3oz flight-sized samples of everything on tap for pretty cheap.

Vivant is great, depending on the beer. I like pretty much everything they've done, and agree that both the tripel and quad were excellent, as is Tart Side of the Moon. They do a firkin friday too, so if you're up on that day, you can see what they're gonna crack. Their tap rotation tends to move pretty quick, so you can never really plan on what you'll find there, though.

Both GRBC and Harmony are kinda meh so far at least in terms of the beer they're producing. Not bad, but nothing worth seeking out if you're day tripping up here.

Hopcat is good fun, but depending on the day and time it can be impossibly packed, and you're not really going to find a ton of extra local beers vs. just going to a few breweries. That said, if you're tight on time, it's probably the single most worthwhile stop after Founders.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

funkybottoms posted:

Sorry I'm just really lazy.

The one day I'm on the road for work and you guys have a page-long discussion on beer from my hometown. I don't think I can add anything else at this point, other than I found the 'new' Grand Rapids Brewing Co to be super mediocre, everything tasted the same to me.

If you want a good bottle shop I'll recommend Kingma's Market on Plainfield, just a short jog from downtown. They have so much beer now they can't actually fit everything out on the shelf, so find the beer buyer in case they have anything special in back. Kingma's also rules because they have an in-house butcher shop and smoker, grab some meat sticks if you go.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I'm at the Brooklyn Brewery 25th anniversary party. On a related note, their 25th anniversary beer is quite tasty, and dangerous in large quantities.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

atothesquiz posted:

I'm headed down from Rochester NY Friday night and staying in a hotel down the road with a buddy ($100 total for the weekend, so it's pretty cheap). There seems to be a bottle share that will happen in line or during the day Saturday.

I plan on bringing the following
Terrapin"s Wake N Bake (2012)
SN/DFH Life & Limb 2 (2011)
Ithaca's Flower Power (Fresh)
BCBS (2009)
Cigar City's Hunahpu (2013)

I was also thinking about bringing down 4 different flavors of FiftyFiftys BA Eclipses (EC 12 Year, Old Fitzgerald, Evan Williams and Bernheim Wheat Whiskey) But we'll see.

People on BA are going nuts though talking about getting in line at at midnight or as earlier as 5pm the day before. Keep in mind it's supposed to be in the low 20's at night.

I haven't decided if I'll be there (will depend on how Friday night poker goes). If I do go I definitely wouldn't be able to be there until just a few hours before. Just a heads up in case you didn't already know any bottles not brewed by Voodoo would have to be consumed outside of their facility as per their alcohol permits.

lifts cats over head fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 21, 2013

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Chicagoons, anyone else see this?

http://www.napervillealefest.com/

A co-worker sent this to me today. I'm planning on going, just thought I'd spread the news. I live about 20-30 minutes away so it works out well for me.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I was able to get a bottle of Cantillon Gueuze today! I'm pretty excited, this is the first bottle of Cantillon I've ever been able to purchase.

I was only able to get this because my boss was nice enough to save me a bottle. Getting a job at the biggest importer of Belgian beer in OH has its perks :smug:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Aiming high, I see. And I can't believe Mekong has 32 taps now. That's absurd in the best way.

dude, they're gonna have fifty.

talked to the guy who owns NY Deli and Don't Look Back- they're taking over the old BlowToad space and their 24 taps (and BlowToad's crazy-rear end oven) and will probably be open before Mellow Mushroom and however many loving taps they're gonna have, so if they make a point of not having all the same poo poo... could get interesting.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Senf posted:

Last week I had Russian River's Supplication for the first time at The Trappist in Oakland and thought it was pretty drat tasty. Perfectly tart, just the right amount of sweetness... can anyone recommend a sour with a similar flavor profile? It goes for about $12-$15 a bottle over here and while I'll no doubt purchase one from time to time, I'd like to try a few more like it.

Supplication. Seriously though it's one of the best beers on the planet, it isn't easily duplicated.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

ShaneB posted:

Supplication. Seriously though it's one of the best beers on the planet, it isn't easily duplicated.

This is what I was afraid of but it was so good that I'm honestly not surprised. I couldn't stop smiling every drat time I took a sip and had another glass in my hand before the first one was even finished.

They rotate their beers out pretty frequently and sadly, it's not tapped right now :( Sounds like a trip up to Russian River's brew pub is in order!

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Boulevard's Coffee Ale hit shelves yesterday, and I'm having my first one tonight. It's a lot better than I had expected. I was very doubtful when I found out it wouldn't be a stout or porter.
It seems to be a light rye beer with a strong but balanced coffee character, and a little tartness at the end. A fine replacement for the Chocolate Ale.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
A basement, eBay and Hellvis: how police tracked $30,000 in stolen beer to Fort Collins

So, apparently a former Avery employee tried stealing their beer from a warehouse and sold it on eBay and in restuarants...

Are those street prices on those bottles, or what? Holy poo poo :psyduck:

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 21, 2013

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

TenaciousTomato posted:

A basement, eBay and Hellvis: how police tracked $30,000 in stolen beer to Fort Collins

So, apparently a former Avery employee tried stealing their beer from a warehouse and selling it on eBay and in restuarants...

Are those street prices on those bottles, or what? Holy poo poo :psyduck:

$200 for Proximus sounds reasonable, actually. Anyone spending $100 on Old Crustacean, on the other hand, needs a kick in the junk.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Especially considering Rogue has a vertical in their online store with much more than one bottle for $100. Honestly the site deal seems like a great value. I mean you get 3 1999 7 ounce bottles, 3 2003 12 ounce bottles, and 3 750ml bottles. I didn't care too much for Old Crusty, but that seems like a great deal.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Midorka posted:

Especially considering Rogue has a vertical in their online store with much more than one bottle for $100. Honestly the site deal seems like a great value. I mean you get 3 1999 7 ounce bottles, 3 2003 12 ounce bottles, and 3 750ml bottles. I didn't care too much for Old Crusty, but that seems like a great deal.

I've never tried Old Crustacean, although I have had the chance... and I can't help but think that it can't be *that* great if they still have all of these old vintages available for that cheap online.

Imagine if Sierra Nevada made 1999, 2003, and 2007 Bigfoot available online... I bet it would sell like hotcakes.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Kudosx posted:

I've never tried Old Crustacean, although I have had the chance... and I can't help but think that it can't be *that* great if they still have all of these old vintages available for that cheap online.

Imagine if Sierra Nevada made 1999, 2003, and 2007 Bigfoot available online... I bet it would sell like hotcakes.

It's Rogue. It's probably decent to good, but nothing special and certainly not enough to overcome the fact that they cultured yeast from the head brewer's loving face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Phanatic posted:

$200 for Proximus sounds reasonable, actually. Anyone spending $100 on Old Crustacean, on the other hand, needs a kick in the junk.

Duck Duck Gooze is probably worth a lot more than a hundred bucks a bottle as well, considering that it trades well above BCBS Rare and Rare could easily break a hundred bucks.