Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

japtor posted:

I figure you might as well. Haven't checked prices in a while but last I looked it seemed like buying older drives didn't really save you much since they were more expensive (cause the more expensive flash) and/or the newer drives were cheaper (cause the cheaper flash). I remember someone saying the 840 worked at SATA I speeds in that computer (mentioned in the OP), although I wouldn't really care considering the speed difference over a platter drive even being capped off at that, assuming that was the only issue with it.

:argh: I completely missed that post. This seems to be the most pertinent part

Binary Badger posted:

What SSDs should work in these older Macs?

Most of OWC's SSD line, as in the ones designated to work for these models, should work, despite being mostly SF-2281 based as they have already issued updated firmware.

Samsung 830's if you can find them.

Shipping SanDisk Extreme models as they have a firmware patch to force SATA II negotiation only.

Crucial M4s with the SHSC recommended firmware, 000F, should be fine. They use a Marvell controller.

Looks like I'm going to need to do a bit more homework.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
E: thought better of posting this, hahah.

Rick fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 20, 2013

Anode
Dec 24, 2005

Nail me to my car and I'll tell you who you are
Is there any kind of consensus on Fusion Drive yet? Worth getting?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Anode posted:

You should get an SSD OR fusion drive if you need the space. Dont bother with a single spinny drive.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
It's probably been asked a billion times but I can't see it in the past few pages, so...

If I'm not going to be doing intense gaming, is there really any reason to get a regular 13.3" MBP over the 13.3" Air? I'll be storing most of my files on external/cloud storage, so limiting myself to 128 or 256gb onboard storage is not much of an issue.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

pretend to care posted:

It's probably been asked a billion times but I can't see it in the past few pages, so...

If I'm not going to be doing intense gaming, is there really any reason to get a regular 13.3" MBP over the 13.3" Air? I'll be storing most of my files on external/cloud storage, so limiting myself to 128 or 256gb onboard storage is not much of an issue.

If you don't need a huge HD, 8GB of RAM, or firewire/ethernet/dvd, just get the Air. It's much snappier than the Pro and noticeably thinner, plus the screen resolution is 1440x900 which is quite nice.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

pretend to care posted:

The macbook air and 13.3" mbp have the same video so there is no difference for gaming really anyway.

You should always get the air unless you just have to have something the mbp offers.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well

Bob Morales posted:

If you don't need a huge HD, 8GB of RAM, or firewire/ethernet/dvd, just get the Air. It's much snappier than the Pro and noticeably thinner, plus the screen resolution is 1440x900 which is quite nice.

Ok, thanks. That's really helpful. :cheers:

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Anode posted:

I think the consensus is yes. It's the best of both worlds; size and speed. I read a bunch of bench marks that put it at "almost" as fast as a pure SSD. I just bought a maxed out 27 imac with the 3tb fusion I'm getting very quick boot times and one bounce load times on my apps.

Speaking of fusion drives, does anyone know if the drive works the same in windows on bootcamp? I haven't noticed anything slow but I've only played a little bit of FryCry 3 and a bunch of Xcom.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Haggins posted:

I think the consensus is yes. It's the best of both worlds; size and speed. I read a bunch of bench marks that put it at "almost" as fast as a pure SSD. I just bought a maxed out 27 imac with the 3tb fusion I'm getting very quick boot times and one bounce load times on my apps.

Speaking of fusion drives, does anyone know if the drive works the same in windows on bootcamp? I haven't noticed anything slow but I've only played a little bit of FryCry 3 and a bunch of Xcom.

I would guess that since it's an OS X filesystem thing you're running a straight NTFS partition when you use Boot Camp.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Haggins posted:

When you use bootcamp osx partitions off part of the spinny drive and thats what you install windows to. it does not use fusion drive at all as fusion drive uses core storage which is part of osx.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

BTW, ordering an iMac with a Fusion Drive is the only way to get an SSD connector on the logic board.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

When you use bootcamp osx partitions off part of the spinny drive and thats what you install windows to. it does not use fusion drive at all as fusion drive uses core storage which is part of osx.

I was kind of thinking it was something like that. Now that I think about it windows does take a little while to boot, while OSX is pretty fast. Loading a game does take a few seconds as well.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
What is the normal CPU temperature for a rMBP 15 supposed to look like? In iStat Menus, I've got 83 degrees Celsius for "CPU Die - Digital" and 62 degrees Celsius for "CPU Proximity" while it's just playing Spotify tunes.

Never mind: it was this Live Wallpaper app I had running. I disabled the animated wallpaper thing and I'm down to 54-55 degrees Celsius.

fookolt fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 20, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

pretend to care posted:

Ok, thanks. That's really helpful. :cheers:

Yeah the only big advantage is the nicer IPS screen but the Air is pretty much the best mainstream option when you look at the price.

Reality
Sep 26, 2010
In an effort to simplify my life and get rid of a computer on my desk I am trying to move a SSD from a boot camped late 2009 macbook into a USB enclosure so I can boot it on my 2012 Macbook Air. The only OS on the white macbook's SSD is windows 7. I was hoping it would straight up work. Instead it boots off the USB SSD and then right before it loads the username/password screen on Windows it blue screens real fast and reboots. I got really excited and then really unexcited very quickly. I don't see any blue screen logs in the c:\windows (BOOTCAMP\windows) folder so that's not helping me.

Right now I'm trying to make an ISO of my Windows 7 disc so I can make a bootable USB drive with the hopes of maybe doing a repair install and also I'm saving windows support software or whatever to the Boot camped drive from the Boot Camp Assistant with the hope that maybe it does something awesome with drivers and it works. Am I going to have to start over again from a fresh boot camp install or is there some quick and easy way to fix this?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Boot Camp isn't supported / doesn't work on external drives.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

Would it not be possible when rolling your own Fusion Drive to simply partition off a chunk of an SSD for Windows to use prior to using the Core Storage tools? I'm about to replace my optical drive in a mid-2012 15" MBP with an SSD and one of the reasons for getting the solid state in the first place was to help with game load times in Windows.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Personally I only see Fusion Drive as being worth it if you have really limited SSD storage like 64GB or something. If you're adding your own presumably 256GB SSD I wouldn't bother with it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

~Coxy posted:

Personally I only see Fusion Drive as being worth it if you have really limited SSD storage like 64GB or something. If you're adding your own presumably 256GB SSD I wouldn't bother with it.

Having to manually manage what goes on an ssd and what goes on a spinny drive is the pits.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Any suggestions for a video game controller? This is so I can play Steam games\emulators\osx games.

Preferably something that is wireless and something that just works easy. I've tried PS3 controller awhile via bluetooth and well it works but it's a pain to have to setup each time. (Having to attach the USB cord, then unattaching.)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Xbox 360 controller.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

Xbox 360 controller.

Only works when connected via USB does it not?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Neurophonic posted:

Only works when connected via USB does it not?

If you want to delve into madness, you can get it working with a wireless reciever.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Ursine Asylum posted:

If you want to delve into madness, you can get it working with a wireless reciever.

Ugh.. this is not what I wanted.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Ursine Asylum posted:

Purchasable for about $30.

On Win 7 it's not too bad to setup. On Win 8 you have to reinstall/fix the driver once every couple weeks.

I've probably spent about 6 hours over a year getting/keeping the xbox controller working.

Might just want to get the wired.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I have a wired 360 controller from my PC tymes of playing Fallout 3 & Mass Effect. I mean, you know most Windows games were playtested with this. You can get a USB extension cable for less than $2 for Big Picture Mode. Do it!

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Stick100 posted:

Purchasable for about $30.

On Win 7 it's not too bad to setup. On Win 8 you have to reinstall/fix the driver once every couple weeks.

I've probably spent about 6 hours over a year getting/keeping the xbox controller working.

Might just want to get the wired.

I'm willing to wager it's a lot less fun in OS X. What's wrong with a cable?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

lol internet. posted:

Ugh.. this is not what I wanted.

If you don't mind wired, the Xbox360 controller is probably the best you can get. And the "delving into madness" is only really what happens when you try to get the Wireless receiver working on a Mac; it's not too bad on a Windows installation.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I remember hearing this was an issue a while ago, but I noticed today I'm seeing ghosting on my first-gen retina MBP. What's the procedure here? Will the geniuses give me a new display?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Small White Dragon posted:

I remember hearing this was an issue a while ago, but I noticed today I'm seeing ghosting on my first-gen retina MBP. What's the procedure here? Will the geniuses give me a new display?

Most people have luck swapping it out for a Samsung display but it requires getting the local Apple store to Ok the trade.

Just do a google search to get the magic terminal window command to check your display manufacture and also download some of the ghosting programs people created.

On a side note a class action lawsuit is in work for people mad over their Retina displays:
http://www.ibtimes.com/print/macbook-pro-retina-display-problems-apple-faces-class-action-suit-ghosting-issue-1129939

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
I have a 15" rMBP and it probably isn't a "problem" but it does concern me a little. When playing games, the laptop does get quite hot but the fans never spin up faster than ~2000 RPM. Checking the temp with istat menus the GPU Die would be around 75 degrees and CPU Die around 70 degrees. Is this normal?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Here's one way to get the display ID:

code:
ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6
Google the ID and that'll tell you the manufacturer.

Works just fine in 10.8.3. The manufacturer for the display on my Macbook Late 2009 is Samsung.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 21, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

bsaber posted:

I have a 15" rMBP and it probably isn't a "problem" but it does concern me a little. When playing games, the laptop does get quite hot but the fans never spin up faster than ~2000 RPM. Checking the temp with istat menus the GPU Die would be around 75 degrees and CPU Die around 70 degrees. Is this normal?

CPU's get warm, that's the way that it works. Your laptop also won't let the chip get too hot - it will turn the fans on at a speed appropriate for the temperature, and if it's still too hot, it will downclock the CPU.

That said you have at least another 20 degrees in temp and 4000 RPM worth of fan speed left, you're operating in a perfectly normal range.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Ended up getting a Samsung 840 (non pro) 250GB for my MBP 5,5. It's doing about 200 MB/s write, 250 MB/s read, so better than SATA I but still not SATA II. It's still better than the HDD.

Edit: The link and negotiated link speed is showing up as 3 Gigabit in System Info.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ursine Asylum posted:

If you don't mind wired, the Xbox360 controller is probably the best you can get. And the "delving into madness" is only really what happens when you try to get the Wireless receiver working on a Mac; it's not too bad on a Windows installation.

I've used it on both Windows 7 and a Macbook Pro, and had no problems in either OS. I've used it a lot more in Windows however, but was playing Castle Crashers without a problem with the Xbox controller on the Mac. I just needed to install some 3rd party control panel for it, but it was the first Google result for "Xbox 360 controller Mac" at the time.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I ordered the 15" i7/2.7/16/512 rMBP from Amazon earlier this week. Checked the screen and thank god it's a Samsung (LSN after the terminal command is entered).

This thing cost an arm and a leg, but it's ridiculously awesome. With everything (Parallels, Win8, Office 2013, Lightroom, Photoshop, etc, etc) installed I still have like 460gigs left.

I'll have it for a long time.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 22, 2013

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

CPU's get warm, that's the way that it works. Your laptop also won't let the chip get too hot - it will turn the fans on at a speed appropriate for the temperature, and if it's still too hot, it will downclock the CPU.

That said you have at least another 20 degrees in temp and 4000 RPM worth of fan speed left, you're operating in a perfectly normal range.

Thanks, Bob. Was just a little concerned because other laptops would have spun up the fans by then.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

bsaber posted:

Thanks, Bob. Was just a little concerned because other laptops would have spun up the fans by then.

So did your laptop. ;) It just does so much more gradually than some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

IUG posted:

I've used it on both Windows 7 and a Macbook Pro, and had no problems in either OS. I've used it a lot more in Windows however, but was playing Castle Crashers without a problem with the Xbox controller on the Mac. I just needed to install some 3rd party control panel for it, but it was the first Google result for "Xbox 360 controller Mac" at the time.

I have (probably) the same driver for my mac, and while it works fine for wired, I've never been able to get the wireless receiver to work properly.