Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Dude, like twelve posts upthread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The Prisoner posted:

Dude, like twelve posts upthread!

Yeah I just read your post a minute too late.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

The Pussy Boss posted:

The only person that can ever "forgive" Josh Lueke is his victim. As far as all of our own personal opinions go, then, consider all of the following:

-- he plead out to a lesser charge and didn't serve a fraction of the sentence one typically gets for rape

-- he has never publicly shown the merest hint of remorse about it, and instead has tried to rehab his image with cynical appeals to Christianity

All of this is beside the point that this article links the "redemption" of a rapist to athletic performance, which is loving absurd. It's garbage rape apologia and it's not worthy of your defense.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

In fairness, the author is probably right that if Lueke pitches well, the fact that he's a loving rapist will be largely overlooked by most people because baseball

I mean, poo poo; look no further than Penn State where there are still people happily overlooking rape because SUCCESSFUL FOOTBALL

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
http://www.isjoshluekearapist.com/

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Pretty great write up about Lueke at the always wonderful Et tu, Mr. Destructo blog.

http://www.mrdestructo.com/2011/11/five-stupid-arguments-about-josh-lueke.html

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

IMB posted:

Pretty great write up about Lueke at the always wonderful Et tu, Mr. Destructo blog.

http://www.mrdestructo.com/2011/11/five-stupid-arguments-about-josh-lueke.html
It's a good article but ever since he outed himself as Boniface from Helldump I kind of have to read everything of his with some sort of associative dissonance going on in the back of my mind so I can take it seriously.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
So the guy that wrote the Leuke article is actually a 17 year old kid, and not only did he apologize fully and completely but the apology totally replaces the article and is almost as long.

http://rayscoloredglasses.com/2013/03/12/the-better-rays-josh-lueke-pitches-the-more-his-checkered-past-is-pushed-aside/

Maybe I'm easily taken in, but it genuinely sounds like a kid that wasn't able to translate all the things he was thinking into words for others to read and is trying to make amends.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Badfinger posted:

So the guy that wrote the Leuke article is actually a 17 year old kid, and not only did he apologize fully and completely but the apology totally replaces the article and is almost as long.

http://rayscoloredglasses.com/2013/03/12/the-better-rays-josh-lueke-pitches-the-more-his-checkered-past-is-pushed-aside/

Maybe I'm easily taken in, but it genuinely sounds like a kid that wasn't able to translate all the things he was thinking into words for others to read and is trying to make amends.

Most 17 year olds are poo poo writers, so I'd give him the benefit of the doubt on it.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

FairGame posted:

In fairness, the author is probably right that if Lueke pitches well, the fact that he's a loving rapist will be largely overlooked by most people because baseball

I mean, poo poo; look no further than Penn State where there are still people happily overlooking rape because SUCCESSFUL FOOTBALL

Or Ben goddamn Roethlisberger.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
You can't even say that Leuke served his time either

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
As with the disgusting Karsten Whitson article a few weeks ago, you really wonder where the hell the quality control is on these sites and how barely literate kids end up writing this garbage for them. How can SI not do better than a random 17 year old kid to be their head Rays guy?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

jeffersonlives posted:

As with the disgusting Karsten Whitson article a few weeks ago, you really wonder where the hell the quality control is on these sites and how barely literate kids end up writing this garbage for them. How can SI not do better than a random 17 year old kid to be their head Rays guy?

People with experience and credentials don't want to work for free.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Lou Piniella is a dumbass.
http://youtu.be/uvodYCxhTSA

Found through DJF http://blogs.thescore.com/djf/2013/03/20/jays-marlins-trade-analysis-lou-piniella-doesnt-want-to-say-raped-says-raped/

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

jeffersonlives posted:

When I was 17, I managed to get a "job" helping someone by writing their fairly popular baseball newsletter (back when everyone was using AOL and email newsletters were still a thing) once a week. I could write a little - but I sure made up for that by being lazy and unreliable!

The lesson here is that nobody should hire 17-year-olds.

OrangeKing fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 20, 2013

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Yeah I think the takeaway from this is that the kid pretty clearly didn't mean to actually say the words that ended up in the article, but for whatever reason no one got a copy of it before posting and said "Uh hey is this what you really meant?" and/or "We're not loving running this."

If I'm writing on Badfinger's Baseball Blog, I'm fully responsible and if I want to say anything I'm going to say it and that's fine. When SI is backing it, you'd like to think there's some oversight SOMEWHERE.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
I don't think any sites that are parts of ~blog networks~ by larger entities like ESPN/SI/Foxsports submit their posts for approval, nevermind editing.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

rape n.
4. an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Seeing MLB downed that vid, but Deadspin stepped up.

http://deadspin.com/lou-piniella-made-a-super-awkward-reference-to-rape-dur-457359619

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

leokitty posted:

I don't think any sites that are parts of ~blog networks~ by larger entities like ESPN/SI/Foxsports submit their posts for approval, nevermind editing.

Yeah I just can't imagine why those companies are willing to put their logo on this kind of unprofessional trash without any oversight.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Ace Jameson posted:

rape n.
4. an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.

If you needed to get to dictionary definition number 4 before you found one that didn't reference violent sexual assault, perhaps you should have just logged out and saved the discussion your no-effort trash spewing

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

Yeah I just can't imagine why those companies are willing to put their logo on this kind of unprofessional trash without any oversight.

ad revenue at no overhead cost

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

I don't know what it says that that kid probably handled the backlash to his story better than any professional I can remember, but it's probably nothing good.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

Crion posted:

If you needed to get to dictionary definition number 4 before you found one that didn't reference violent sexual assault, perhaps you should have just logged out and saved the discussion your no-effort trash spewing

I'm really sorry that you're having a bad day. Maybe there's a hotline you can call?

Piniella can use that word and be accurate. Over-the top in the context of a baseball trade, but accurate if that's how he's trying to use it.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

jeffersonlives posted:

It's just not a priority. Anything too volatile gets pulled and an apology gets issued, everything else just goes by the wayside regardless of quality or journalistic merit. I mean poo poo, ESPN is going on month 4 with no ombudsman and they're just chugging along

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Ace Jameson posted:

I'm really sorry that you're having a bad day. Maybe there's a hotline you can call?

Piniella can use that word and be accurate. Over-the top in the context of a baseball trade, but accurate if that's how he's trying to use it.

The term "rape" even when used to talk about the devastation of an area has a sexual connotation, don't be dense. The rape of the countryside gives you a visual of devastation to both people and property.

This has been the case for ages--the rape of the Sabine women refers to both their being snatched away and their sexual violation.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Ace Jameson posted:

The term always implies sexual violence, even when applied to places--do you honestly think the Rape of Nanking was just about burning down buildings?--and if you're the kind of coward who hides behind a dictionary because you're unwilling or unable to articulate that you simply don't give a gently caress about the implications of using the word or what minimizing sexual violence in our culture leads to, I'm sure Reddit has some scintillating Bruins threads for you to park yourself in far away from here

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

Crion posted:

The term always implies sexual violence, even when applied to places--do you honestly think the Rape of Nanking was just about burning down buildings?--and if you're the kind of coward who hides behind a dictionary because you're unwilling or unable to articulate that you simply don't give a gently caress about the implications of using the word or what minimizing sexual violence in our culture leads to, I'm sure Reddit has some scintillating Bruins threads for you to park yourself in far away from here

I am going to go out on a limb and declare that in this instance, there are no far-reaching implications to Lou Piniella using the word "rape" to describe a baseball trade on a Yankees broadcast. I know I am really setting myself up here, but I'm willing to take that chance.

I guess I just don't understand what the end-game is for the people who get outraged at this kind of thing and try to turn it into a story. I can see the angle of absurd-but-kind-of-funny because of how awkward he sounded tripping over himself. All Drunk Canuck said was that he was a dumbass, so that didn't seem to be what he was going for exactly. Maybe it was? His post was kind of low-effort, but I didn't feel the need to call him out for it. I thought maybe he wasn't completely informed of all the uses of it, but clearly I was being dense.

Ok so I grant that in all contexts that, as you and leokitty said, "rape" is a word with sexual implications. Where are we? Lou Piniella said a sexually violent word. What now?

Also I wasn't going to acknowledge it the first time but are you seriously trying to act as some sort of moral gatekeeper of the Something Awful Sports Argument Stadium because holy moly.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I think the piling on Lou is a bit much but you are the one making smarmy replies in the thread which include quoting dictionary definitions to try and show up another poster. You say

Ace Jameson posted:

Maybe it was? His post was kind of low-effort, but I didn't feel the need to call him out for it. I thought maybe he wasn't completely informed of all the uses of it, but clearly I was being dense.

when you clearly had no idea of the history of the word, leading to your wishy-washy post where I am pretty sure you are confusing Crion with another poster entirely anyway.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Hmm a sentence might've been a bit broad in my meaning (thought implied in the linked article), but using rape to describe a sports trade is usually universally not a good thing.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Ace Jameson posted:

I guess I just don't understand what the end-game is for the people who get outraged at this kind of thing and try to turn it into a story.

The "end-game" is that people who normalize rape are rightfully shamed into not doing so, hopefully helping in some small way to chip away at rape culture.

What's the endgame for you white-knighting the use of "rape" to describe a minor sports event?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

jeffersonlives posted:

Because then when you have an RFP you can massively inflate the uniques your brand reaches, and advertisers are generally neither savvy nor invested enough to really give a poo poo as to the inner workings of your number.

Meanwhile, the PR hits you take from time to time with this sort of thing just really aren't all that damaging externally. I'm sure there are people within the company who feel like poo poo and have a lot of internal meetings right now, but externally? Nobody outside the industry gives any fucks.

sportsgenius86 posted:

ad revenue at no overhead cost

I'd be shocked if the CPM for these sites was anything worth writing home about. Suspect it's really just a way to get a prettier top-line number to be more attractive to advertisers who want the flagship brands.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

Mornacale posted:

The "end-game" is that people who normalize rape are rightfully shamed into not doing so, hopefully helping in some small way to chip away at rape culture.

What's the endgame for you white-knighting the use of "rape" to describe a minor sports event?

The goal is to make the word so common and normalize it to such a degree that the mere mention instantly causes the act itself to occur, kind of like a manchurian candidate or police dog.

You're right leokitty, I was confusing Crion with a more reasonable version of mornacale.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Ace Jameson posted:

The goal is to make the word so common and normalize it to such a degree that the mere mention instantly causes the act itself to occur, kind of like a manchurian candidate or police dog.

You're right leokitty, I was confusing Crion with a more reasonable version of mornacale.

what the gently caress is this?

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Ace Jameson posted:

This would be stupid even if there wasn't a nationally famous case of violent sexual assault and the very obvious rape culture that allowed it to happen and even victimize the person attacked in the news right now, but, well

I mean, this isn't even a derail. People were rightfully disgusted with reporters who commented that two young athletes had had their lives ruined when they raped someone, isn't it sad, and their attitude towards women is formed and maintained through the culture and language we use. Lou Piniella should absolutely not use the word "rape" about anything other than rape, or else the word and associated actions become so commonplace kids in Steubenville or wherever think it's no big deal to rape someone, or a 17 year old kid who wants to be a sportswriter thinks that you can "look past rape" by being good at throwing a ball into a glove.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i really don't see what the big issue is when all folks want to do is use the word "rape" for one bad context only. there are so many other words at least like a million of them

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
Rape is an actual thing that happens to people and it is horribly cruel and violent. Why the gently caress should anyone be literally equating something to the worst experience in a lot of people's lives, just as a dumb loving joke?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

FairGame posted:

Because then when you have an RFP you can massively inflate the uniques your brand reaches, and advertisers are generally neither savvy nor invested enough to really give a poo poo as to the inner workings of your number.

Meanwhile, the PR hits you take from time to time with this sort of thing just really aren't all that damaging externally. I'm sure there are people within the company who feel like poo poo and have a lot of internal meetings right now, but externally? Nobody outside the industry gives any fucks.

I'd be shocked if the CPM for these sites was anything worth writing home about. Suspect it's really just a way to get a prettier top-line number to be more attractive to advertisers who want the flagship brands.

I was speaking to the indirect ad revenue benefits as well. I was just too lazy to type it out on my phone earlier

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ace Jameson posted:

So you just completely miss his point, make up your own to make him look bad, and dare to question his ability to be reasonable? What is your endgame here? You want to look silly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Not to interrupt the rape conversation, but is ESPN apparently going all out on hyping the Miami Heat winning streak? It keeps showing up on my twitter feed from Cavs fans bitching about it.

I feel a lot better having gone out of my way to not watch that channel over the last couple of weeks.