Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I'll also recommend Mae Sai. Pretty much substitute Chiang Rai and surroundings for Chiang Mai if you want a more peaceful trip. That said, Chiang Mai and surroundings are a lot of fun, but Chiang Rai and surroundings are a less infested.

EDIT: As for the lesbian skytrain deal, welcome to Bangkok. If someone was actually making out on a skytrain it probably was a katoey only because that's so far across the line socially here that you'd kind of expect it to be a katoey (known for brashness), but who knows. Either way, just enjoy being in Bangkok, it is what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005

nugzseeker 2 posted:

A few days ago in Bangkok I was on the skytrain late night, the carriage was mostly empty, and there was these two lesbians really getting into each other right next to me. Kissing, grabbing rear end. Both were nice looking so I was enjoying it, no, I was loving it. I dont think ive ever seen a hot lesbian couple before now, in the UK they're all ugly. So I was watching while trying to stop myself staring too much. But the one with her back to me turned around, and I saw her face. I'd say there is a 50% chance it was a ladboy because her face was hella mannish, even though she was short and had small hands.

That ruined most of my fun.. but not all of it. It's been on my mind the past few days... How does it work if its a lesbian couple when one is a ladyboy, is that still okay to enjoy?

You're a great person!!

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all

nugzseeker 2 posted:

A few days ago in Bangkok I was on the skytrain late night, the carriage was mostly empty, and there was these two lesbians really getting into each other right next to me. Kissing, grabbing rear end. Both were nice looking so I was enjoying it, no, I was loving it. I dont think ive ever seen a hot lesbian couple before now, in the UK they're all ugly. So I was watching while trying to stop myself staring too much. But the one with her back to me turned around, and I saw her face. I'd say there is a 50% chance it was a ladboy because her face was hella mannish, even though she was short and had small hands.

That ruined most of my fun.. but not all of it. It's been on my mind the past few days... How does it work if its a lesbian couple when one is a ladyboy, is that still okay to enjoy?

You should go to Pattaya.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Or just Nana, where Pattaya stays when it has to spend the night in Bangkok.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
I'd pay for the trip down to Patts for Reindeer just to read the trip report.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21820476

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

So this is the FB page for the promoters of that rave I went to in Singapore. Probably a good place for intel on future decent parties..although somewhere it says their next party won't be until October. Also, you get bonus Singaporean hipster FB posts.

https://www.facebook.com/WeJungle

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Seek da nugs.

Also: I'm sitting in Edinburgh airport headed to AMS > then back to Singapore. Hit me up for a beer at some point Gail!

How's your project going ReindeerF?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Ringo R posted:

I'd pay for the trip down to Patts for Reindeer just to read the trip report.
"due to my belief in Buddhist philosophy which I have followed for many years, I thought a quality tattoo of the Buddha was rather apt"

Westerners should just be banned from anything to do with Buddhism. I don't know how, but they always end up looking silly at minimum and often quite stupid. I remember when some Thai friends came back from a trip to New York and were like, "They took us to a place called Buddha bar - can you imagine going into a bar full of Jesus statues?"

kru posted:

Yo, been waiting for all of you guys to come off vacation, trips, job hunts and moves to you have 5 minutes to chat, heh. I set up the skeleton, I'll get back to you and others on email this week.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 17, 2013

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I'm sitting in Schipol now, but I'll be kicking about from 5pm tomorrow onwards. God drat I can't wait to fire on the old shorts again and have a proper moan about how hot it is. :kiddo:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

kru posted:

God drat I can't wait to fire on the old shorts again and have a proper moan about how hot it is. :kiddo:
british.txt

I'm seriously surprised they don't have whingecations specifically for you guys, heh.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

ReindeerF posted:

I remember when some Thai friends came back from a trip to New York and were like, "They took us to a place called Buddha bar - can you imagine going into a bar full of Jesus statues?"

When I lived in New York, the talk of the town was this fancy bar/restaurant/club that became really popular and ended up having at least one branch in Las Vegas. I'm not sure how far it ultimately branched out, but I'll bet it's collapsed in on itself now, such is the club world. But anyway, it was called Tao. Like the Chinese religion. Like Lao Tzu and the Tao Te Ching. Like the religion that is its own thing and not a different thing. The decor of the place ended up being "How many Buddha statues can we cram into this room and how big can we make them?"

Also there was a Japanese steakhouse in my hometown that served specialty drinks in Buddha cups. I always thought there was probably something a little disrespectful about that. But this was Reno, Nevada, so it's a little more excusable than cosmopolitan New York.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
E: I trained some of Tao's managers for their transition to another club I was working for at the time that had hired them away.

The Limelight was one of New York's most famous clubs and was in a repurposed pretty little stone church downtown. Also it was famous for being the druggiest of the drug clubs. It's owner is still NYC nightlife royalty.

raton fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 18, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, there are definitely "The Church" bars in many large Western cities complete with Christian imagery, but I've never seen anything quite so in-your-face as the Buddhist stuff. The church bars I've seen have the stained glass windows and maybe a carving here and there, but they're unlikely to serve your drink in a crucifix cup. Having said that, given the broader freedom of expression and penchant for egregious look-at-me-ism in the West I'm sure there's a Mapplethorpe themed bar somewhere that serves piss with a crucifix swizzle stick, so I don't want to make it out like this doesn't exist at all.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
To be fair if you and I opened a club in the Kok with overt Christian elements / decor it'd be a huge hit.

Edit: Name it Jerusalem and have a no-Israelis policy hehe

Also Mapplethorpe rules and everyone should read Dave Hickey's awesome book The Invisible Dragon which is an art history book that blew my mind and also kinda changed the practice of art history in a significant way

raton fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 18, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I support this, especially for the Thai people posing with the crucified Christs while making peace signs and holding drinks.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Four or five Thai people pulling on Jesus' crucified feet and laughing while one of them points at INRI and laughs and the last one takes the picture.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

kru posted:

Seek da nugs.

Also: I'm sitting in Edinburgh airport headed to AMS > then back to Singapore. Hit me up for a beer at some point Gail!

I'll be in SG full time starting this summer. Will let you know!

Also on the subject of Buddhism, the westerners I know who are actual serious Buddhists tend to stay away from the kitschy stuff. They do like their yoga and pilgrimages to monasteries, though.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah, there are definitely "The Church" bars in many large Western cities complete with Christian imagery, but I've never seen anything quite so in-your-face as the Buddhist stuff. The church bars I've seen have the stained glass windows and maybe a carving here and there, but they're unlikely to serve your drink in a crucifix cup. Having said that, given the broader freedom of expression and penchant for egregious look-at-me-ism in the West I'm sure there's a Mapplethorpe themed bar somewhere that serves piss with a crucifix swizzle stick, so I don't want to make it out like this doesn't exist at all.

https://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&...mDMbm4QScwYCgBw

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Of course. I forgot about the dirty, babykilling Netherlands.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
It's located in child molesting Belgium actually, but hey, same same.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Rojkir posted:

It's located in child molesting Belgium actually, but hey, same same.
Okay, the dirty, sex dungeon dwelling kiddy fiddling Belgians of the greater BENELUX freaks.

creamyhorror
Mar 11, 2006
the incredible adventures of superworm across America

Gail Wynand posted:

So this is the FB page for the promoters of that rave I went to in Singapore. Probably a good place for intel on future decent parties..although somewhere it says their next party won't be until October. Also, you get bonus Singaporean hipster FB posts.

https://www.facebook.com/WeJungle
Appreciate the tip, or as we say here, lobang. See you this summer!

kru how about a drink around Buona Vista/Holland Village sometime this week

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

ReindeerF posted:

I remember when some Thai friends came back from a trip to New York and were like, "They took us to a place called Buddha bar - can you imagine going into a bar full of Jesus statues?"
http://www.alemarys.com/

Awesome bar, but obviously has caused a ruckus with some of the local religious folk.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
There used to be a great barbecue place out where I went to college in godless Massachusetts that was in an old church house, they left all the religious stuff up and named it Holy Smokes. It got struck by lightning and burned down.

nugzseeker 2
Feb 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Anyone got any bar recommendations in Bangkok? I'm supposed to take someone out tomorrow night but they're insisting that I choose where to go, even though I just got here. I tried searching on google but it just turns up a bunch of rooftop bars. They're okay I guess but I was looking for somewhere more relaxed/fun.

I did find a place called "the iron fairies" which looks awesome, like a miners 1930s bar, but its probably a little creepy for a date.

nugzseeker 2 fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 20, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Can you give a slightly better idea of the date's demographics and what kind of bar you expect to go to? If so, I can maybe help. HiSo Thai-Chinese, for example, like a completely different thing than expat teachers.

Iron Fairies is pretty inside, the burgers are gourmet, but okay. I wouldn't call it a great bar, but it's okay for a trendy dinner.

nugzseeker 2
Feb 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ReindeerF posted:

Can you give a slightly better idea of the date's demographics and what kind of bar you expect to go to? If so, I can maybe help. HiSo Thai-Chinese, for example, like a completely different thing than expat teachers.

Iron Fairies is pretty inside, the burgers are gourmet, but okay. I wouldn't call it a great bar, but it's okay for a trendy dinner.

Not sure what hiso means? Its some girl I met at a gym, thai, early 20s, works as some sort of business thing I think.
I've been here almost two months but still not really seen anywhere or gone out much, so I don't know what kind of places or areas Bangkok has. Its pretty shameful how little I've seen of the city in general, the heat kills all my motivation to go outside. The only place I've seen is sukumvit soi 11 which I didn't really enjoy because it was so busy and so neon. I want somewhere I can get tequila, sit and chat, and ideally be near other bars/clubs. Like Soho in London basically.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Hiso means fancy / rich. High society. The opposite (in Thailand only) is LoSo. Which means your motosai driver from Issan who sits at home on the floor and drinks beer but puts a newspaper down first to catch the condensation.

It's a common term in Thailand and you should have run into it by now already.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

nugzseeker 2 posted:

Not sure what hiso means? Its some girl I met at a gym, thai, early 20s, works as some sort of business thing I think.

I've been here almost two months but still not really seen anywhere or gone out much, so I don't know what kind of places or areas Bangkok has. Its pretty shameful how little I've seen of the city in general, the heat kills all my motivation to go outside. The only place I've seen is sukumvit soi 11 which I didn't really enjoy because it was so busy and so neon. I want somewhere I can get tequila, sit and chat, and ideally be near other bars/clubs. Like Soho in London basically.
SG nailed HiSo. You'll notice an abundant overuse of the word Society in Thailand. The copywriter and brand developer inside me screams with rage when I see some loving word with Society tagged on the end for no apparent reason. Samsung Mobile Society, Coffee Society, etc. It works because Society is interpreted as referring to High Society and also because words that end in T and a hard-E sound are easy/fun for Thai people to pronounce. SocieTEEEEEEEE.

As for the bars, Thai folks don't drink a poo poo-ton of tequila, but there are some places you can go. I believe at our last interaction you you were at Asoke and were moving to Soi Ari? Right? Ari has a few HiSo (ugh) beer bars now and restaurants, but it's still boring as gently caress. Thong Lo is the neighborhood you're looking for, so when you said Iron Faerie you were pretty much on the mark. If you really care about tequila specifically, I'd head over to either Coyote around Phrom Phong BTS or La Monita/El Osito at Phloen Chit BTS. The latter is American run and has the best Mexican food in town along with some well-regarded spanishy stuff on the Osito side, while the former (Coyote) has okay food, but is famous for margarita nights and things. Coyote will put you in five minute proximity of Thong Lo or Ekkamai by taxi, so it's a good solution if you want food involved. I think tonight is ladies' night too, but that could be Wednesday.

If you want to impress her, though, take her to Thong Lo. Start at Fat Guts or Iron Faerie, yeah, then work your way down to one of the chill chill (another awful Thai word) clubs that has trees and grass and pillows everywhere. You can't miss them, there are about 5,000,000.

The last 2-3 weeks have become insanely hot, though that's the norm. Before that it was quite cool! No complaining na ka!

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

Prepare yourself for the possibility that this girl will not actually be interested in having more than one drink, though she will be happy to sit and watch you down shots. Seriously, I have shared buckets upon buckets with Thai friends and then the next week when their boyfriend comes around "tee hee, I can't drink whiskey like you, one Bacardi Breezer is too much!"

It boggles the mind the things these girls will do to ensure their boyfriend doesn't see them as a "bad girl."

edit: Honestly, yes it's middle and upper class girls that pull that particular stunt, but I think most guys would be totally shocked by some of the things I've seen and heard from Thai girls when their boyfriends aren't around. Whatever image you have of a sweet and innocent girl that just wants to take care of her man... you can do away with that right now. Most recently, from a well to do girl who has been with her boyfriend for five years: "I really want to have a baby. I know if I do and I feel like it's in the way of my life, I'll give it to [boyfriend] and then leave. There's no child support law here, he can't do anything to me about money or take care of it."

Chair Huxtable fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 21, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Ah, yeah, this is a fair point. Lots of middle and upper class Thai chicks pull that gag. I think prepare to be bored is a fair piece of advice along the same lines, heh. If it doesn't apply, lucky you!

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

nugzseeker 2 posted:

Its pretty shameful how little I've seen of the city in general, the heat kills all my motivation to go outside.

Haha, I just moved from Bangkok to -3°C (27°F) and the cold kills all my motivation to go outside :D

*shovels snow on thread*

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Too cold your country na! Stay Thailand better na, hab som tam, hab good heart hab ebbysing! You baa same Lussia man.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

ReindeerF posted:

Too cold your country na! Stay Thailand better na, hab som tam, hab good heart hab ebbysing! You baa same Lussia man.

Ok I'm going in April also I've never left the US before how much / what Thai should I learn?

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
You can easily get by with none.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, you need zero. Life will be a little easier if you learn hello, thank you, excuse me and don't want, but otherwise you don't need to bother.

EDIT: gently caress that, just learn "mai ao krab" and that's all you need. Anytime someone starts trying to sell you something you don't want just say that. Being touted constantly is really the only annoyance to most tourists and responding with mai ao krab (don't want thanks, basically) signals the offending party that you might know Thai and therefore are a possibly difficult mark, so they'll usually immediately ignore you and move on. It's almost robotic. On Khao San Road those tuk tuk guys will start following and talking to me and the second I blurt something out in Thai they drop immediately, completely ignore me and move to the next person. It's like little tout robots or something.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 22, 2013

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Weird. okay, thanks haha.

I'm going with some asian-looking people (americans) who speak a little thai and have visited twice before. I'll be the token white dude.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
My motorbike was stolen last night. gently caress! gently caress! Ffffuuuuucccckkk!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
This is the part where eviljelly and I say something about how we've never had a motorbike stolen in Thailand or Cambodia or Laos :iiam: but I won't do that! Sorry you had your motorbike stolen, dude. Aren't you planning on leaving soon, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Anyone know a good place to get wine, spirits or beer (that isn't Bintang) in East Java? I've been poking my head around supermarkets in Surabaya but the best I can find is a few super-expensive cans of Guinness Export.

Also, I'm back in Singapore for Monday. What's the name of that omelette thing with mince in it? You dipped it in spicy soup. It was delicious.

Senso posted:

My motorbike was stolen last night. gently caress! gently caress! Ffffuuuuucccckkk!
Well, poo poo. Of all the things to get stolen in SEA. :(