Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I loving lost it at "Rolling start". Gonna give this a download.

Time to download and listen to this while playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Akinator's database is filled by our submitted content whenever we stump it, if I recall correctly. You're pretty much asking the internet if it's ever heard of this one dude.

Edit: Wow I shouldn't have let that post sit there for so long.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
That's exactly how it works but it's still fun to try.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Small White Dragon posted:

We've gotten a few bug reports since the app was released, but that was not one of them. If you're still having it in the latest version, feel free to PM me -- or alternatively email info(at)somoga.com if you don't have or want to PM -- and we'll try and see if we can figure out what's going on.

Cool :) I'll give it a try and see what's up, no idea what would cause it but I've got a boring shift tomorrow at work so I'm sure I'll be able to sneak in another test.

Dungeon Plunder, has anyone noticed the slowly creeping frost that changes the land as you play? Most notable in the level 3-4 area of the game usually, I haven't gotten too far so whether it's just a neat weather effect (winter is coming) or tied to the 'narrative' (is none?) I don't know, but it was neat and made me curious.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I feel bad now that I took one of those codes for the nimble quest because I'm not that good at it and I don't really like it.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I feel bad now that I took one of those codes for the nimble quest because I'm not that good at it and I don't really like it.

Admit it. You wanted it to be about trains. You form up a locomotive with a variety of cars with different skills and abilities to deliver goods in a post apocalyptic wasteland.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Now that you mention it, yes, I'd totally buy an iOS port of Transarctica.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

If anyone wants an endless runner that looks good and plays well (multiple ways past most obstacles) Epic Knight from the Tiny Heroes guys is pretty good and free. As long as you upgrade loot first you barely notice the standard iap as well.

Also finally got to Great Big War Game and its a fun little Advance Wars clone.

junglistvip
Nov 30, 2010

Davincie posted:

If anyone wants an endless runner that looks good and plays well (multiple ways past most obstacles) Epic Knight from the Tiny Heroes guys is pretty good and free. As long as you upgrade loot first you barely notice the standard iap as well.

This seems like it could be good but the way the camera moves when you move left or right is really off putting.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So I tried Splashtop Steam gaming.

Dungeons of Dredmor actually works really well (use the onscreen arrow keys). XCOM worked but the connection kept getting flaky, guess too much going on at once for it. FTL does not work well, clicking stuff made for PC on an iPad is harder than you would think.

A lot of stuff is a bit fiddly with the changes in resolution and such. A lot of games refuse to run entirely.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

So I tried Splashtop Steam gaming.

Dungeons of Dredmor actually works really well (use the onscreen arrow keys). XCOM worked but the connection kept getting flaky, guess too much going on at once for it. FTL does not work well, clicking stuff made for PC on an iPad is harder than you would think.

A lot of stuff is a bit fiddly with the changes in resolution and such. A lot of games refuse to run entirely.
I don't see FTL working well anyway seeing as it's not really turn-based, it's pause-a-lot-so-you-don't-get-wrecked-based. I still think an iOS version would be fine because you could then have a big ol' pause button at the bottom-left or right or something.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I feel great that I took a code, the better I get the more fun it is. Got all my guys up to the blue mage up to 1 star and am using the paladin guy as leader now, his skill is great for poking the lead guy of an enemy train, changing direction, and letting my mages and bombers finish them off. Got 50 tokens for the guild thing yesterday which was a lot more than I was expecting. As far as upgrades I have everything at midlevel except for magnets and treasure boxes, which I'm trying to max first. Got them red gems, of course.

Awesome game! I like how it's simple and quick so I can play for just a couple minutes, but still has that long-term feeling of progression and of getting better and stronger.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

eeenmachine posted:

Nimble Quest drops on 3/28.
Here is a trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-QMoe0jzQ8

This looks pretty awesome and I know I'll get it immediately.

You did this in futile right?
How'd that all go in the end?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

duckfarts posted:

I don't see FTL working well anyway seeing as it's not really turn-based, it's pause-a-lot-so-you-don't-get-wrecked-based. I still think an iOS version would be fine because you could then have a big ol' pause button at the bottom-left or right or something.

Yeah they could design it for a touch interface and make it work. With splashtop you have a bit of a delay on stuff so in FTL you'll die and feel like it's not your fault a lot.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I sprang for the ten dollar GUI upgrade, I don't know if it was worth it but I created a set of controls for FTL that work well enough. Chief amongst them is the big fat pause button I put in the lower left of the screen.

It's not as fast as on pc but I'm okay with that.

E: I find myself more forgiving towards the small problems and latency splashtop has because it's the only way to play a real game on the iPad, otherwise it's rpg worms all the way down.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 21, 2013

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
Shalinor, when is the big patch of Jones on Fire?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Dvlos posted:

Shalinor, when is the big patch of Jones on Fire?
It's in review right now, probably hitting sometime later this week, unless they're slow, in which case it'll be next Monday/Tuesday. Or I guess later if they reject the binary, but speak not the evil into being.

(I submitted it this Monday - last week's GooglePlay launch finally gave me repros for a few bugs, and I wanted those fixed in the iOS patch)

... though this is just re-enabling leaderboards / stripping IAPs / bug fixes, mind. It isn't a huge patch or anything.

EDIT:
At some point, Big Fish started putting out a lot of really great games. They've been especially awesome lately. I guess the casual market finally caught up with the rest, polish/content-wise.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 21, 2013

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Juc66 posted:

This looks pretty awesome and I know I'll get it immediately.

You did this in futile right?
How'd that all go in the end?

Yep, it's worked out awesome so far.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
BigFish's new Fetch game looks pretty sweet:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/03/21/after-a-year-in-development-and-1m-spent-big-fish-games-launches-fetch-mobile-game-exclusive/

Good team on this one. Nice graphics and it looks like it has several game play styles mixed in (platformer plus mini games).

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

caboodle posted:

Sorry people are such dicks to you. It costs nothing to be civil.
I have loads of games purchased on sale, but the only one I play is Letter Press for a few minutes each day.

Thank you. I appreciate it.

The history here is this. We started doing iPhone games the weekend the iPhone shipped, initially in HTML and then native.

The truth is, I got pretty upset when Apple held up a "homage to Kaboom" based on the banking mess (early 2009) for months, with part of the proceeds going to a food bank. As it turns out, there was (at the time) an unwritten rule about apps with charity donations in the description. You can't do that (Apple can't verify that you pay the charity).

So I vented here. And that was wrong. I am sorry I did it. Also the game's tilt controls sucked. I wasn't happy about it either. In retrospect I should have just had two buttons (left right) to match the Kaboom experience.

We're not a big shop. Our best stuff is the poker game, circklers, word carnivale and bocce.

Want some rye?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Lost Cities, made by the Carcassonne folks, is on sale for two dollars. EIGHT swears by it but that guy's a little crazy in the membrane.

http://appshopper.com/games/lost-cities

Come on down to the board game GroupMe channel and we can talk about it (since it doesn't have chat)!

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Here are a few more Nimble Quest codes if anyone wants em:

4R346NYLX36J
4L4HAAHT4NN3
THLRNWX37MRN
FN4X3XNNPHTE

Severian
May 18, 2005

eeenmachine posted:

FN4X3XNNPHTE

Grabbed this one, thanks!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Final Fantasy I-IV are on sale until March 27 in preperation for the launch of FFV on iOS.

FF1 is $3.99
FF2 is $3.99
FF3 for iPhone is $8.99
FF3 for iPad is $9.99
FF4 is $10.99

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

eeenmachine posted:

4R346NYLX36J
4L4HAAHT4NN3
THLRNWX37MRN
FN4X3XNNPHTE
Cooool, got 4L4HAAHT4NN3. Thanks for the code, I was getting impatient for next week!

Kheldarn posted:

Final Fantasy I-IV are on sale until March 27 in preperation for the launch of FFV on iOS.[/url]
Wait, FFV on iOS? What port would this be?
EDIT: Ah, the GBA one but with redesigned sprites.
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/20/final-fantasy-v-coming-to-ios-in-japan-this-month/

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 21, 2013

Yolkfolk
Mar 20, 2007
Love is the stuff inside.

eeenmachine posted:

4R346NYLX36J
4L4HAAHT4NN3
THLRNWX37MRN
FN4X3XNNPHTE

Missed them all. Oh well.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Bummey posted:

Lost Cities, made by the Carcassonne folks, is on sale for two dollars. EIGHT swears by it but that guy's a little crazy in the membrane.

http://appshopper.com/games/lost-cities

Come on down to the board game GroupMe channel and we can talk about it (since it doesn't have chat)!

I can't speak for the app but the IRL game is one of the best two player tabletop games around.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Is it worth me trying to get a nimble quest code when they are offered or are they US only?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Anime_Otaku posted:

Is it worth me trying to get a nimble quest code when they are offered or are they US only?

They should work anywhere.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
i keep getting sad i'm missing nimblequest codes until i realize the beta still works for the time being :v:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Groucho Marxist posted:

I can't speak for the app but the IRL game is one of the best two player tabletop games around.

It's a very solid implementation with good async multiplayer. Only downside is that it's not universal, but it looks good scaled up on retina iPads and it's not the kind of game that's really crying out for lots of screen real estate.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Whats up with this Canadian soft-release of this Firaxis game, Haunted Hollow?

Any good? Anyone try it?

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Feenix posted:

Whats up with this Canadian soft-release of this Firaxis game, Haunted Hollow?

Any good? Anyone try it?

I only caught mentioned of that today on Joystiq saying it was out "soon" and hopes were high because of the name behind it. I'm downloading it as I type, it appears to be a monster building strategy game with local or online multiplayer. It's freemium and from a completely unscientific check of what the IAP shows in the appstore it appears you buy some of the units/themes that way.

Edit: Not what I expected at all, it's like a board game and not the builder type I had expected. I will check it out at the weekend, see if I can get my son to play me at it to see whats what.

Fazana fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 21, 2013

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

eeenmachine posted:

They should work anywhere.

Itunes might have been acting up but I got a fairly generic error message when I entered the ones you posted earlier. Was before the first message about someone taking one too.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
Who is "nothingofinterest" on Game Center who is already competing with me for the top spot on the NQ leader board?

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Anybody have any thoughts on which is better for gaming? The iPad Mini or the iPad 4?

It seems almost a 50/50 split where some games are better on the different sizes. For example, The Croods (or other town building games) look nicer on the bigger full iPad screen. The same goes for Kingdom Rush where the icons are fairly small and more difficult to click on with the mini.

However, some games like Infinity Blade are better on the mini because it's easier to quickly touch/reach all over the screen and you don't have to quickly move your thumbs very far. Another example are games like Pocket Planes which look perfect on the mini but a bit silly on the full iPad, etc, etc.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

marshmonkey posted:

Who is "nothingofinterest" on Game Center who is already competing with me for the top spot on the NQ leader board?
I'm more impressed (:raise:) by how low his gem total score is. I didn't even think it was possible to get to the 1600+ level of kills without getting 3k gems.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Wario In Real Life posted:

I'm more impressed (:raise:) by how low his gem total score is. I didn't even think it was possible to get to the 1600+ level of kills without getting 3k gems.

It is if you don't have red gems and don't upgrade your chest / magnet probably.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Ahh yeah I didn't think of that. The first thing I did was drop $5 on gems and upgrade all the power ups haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Vinlaen posted:

Anybody have any thoughts on which is better for gaming? The iPad Mini or the iPad 4?

You seriously need to just use them and decide for yourself whether a bigger screen or a smaller form factor is more important to you. Neither one is going to be objectively better for gaming, because it depends on what kind of games you're playing and what you like about either device.

• Locked thread