Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Kalman posted:

So who else has enjoyed staying at work til midnight today to make sure Baruch Obamawitz has plenty of overtime work over the next couple years?

I stopped at Chicago's midnight post office before going out to make sure I got yesterday's filing date. Would be so cool if Baruch gave me my first FOA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Working until midnight. . . .
Some profession.
(Go government. My boss ordered me to leave a 3pm last friday because I had been working until 5:30-6 the rest of the week)

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...
At my old job (small patent prosecution practice), I never stayed in the office past 3 PM. And only came in maybe once a week. That was pretty nice, but got a little boring after a while.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

nm posted:

Working until midnight. . . .
Some profession.
(Go government. My boss ordered me to leave a 3pm last friday because I had been working until 5:30-6 the rest of the week)

Well, it was specifically because a new patent prosecution policy went into effect today, changing America's system from first-to-invent to first-to-file, so people were rushing to file patents before midnight so their patents would still be governed by the old system. This was a once-in-several-years event.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

MoFauxHawk posted:

Well, it was specifically because a new patent prosecution policy went into effect today, changing America's system from first-to-invent to first-to-file, so people were rushing to file patents before midnight so their patents would still be governed by the old system. This was a once-in-several-years event.

Once in 50 years, really. A friend who filed a pair of apps Thursday told me he saw the numbers jump by 270 applications per minute on Thursday - Friday must have been even worse.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
More like ~25 years since the last one right? The most recent being the big changeover from 17 years from issue to 20 years from filing.

I found a pro to being in law school guys! I didn't have to deal with this poo poo.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

gvibes posted:

Yes, I tried a handful, and those tovolo ones are the best I've used.

Thank you guys for this.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

woozle wuzzle posted:

It is a sad state of affairs, but if I get in a bad car accident, among my first 5 thoughts would be "UNDUE HARDSHIP, AHOY!".
Is it sad that sometimes when I look down the post-grad tunnel, I think "Well, maybe I'll get in a car accident with a silver-lining, deep pocket lawsuit and the money will be enough to pay off my loans"?

Solid Lizzie fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 18, 2013

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Feces Starship posted:

I recently had my section head throw me a sidecar issue for one of his institutional clients. Basically that guy has a cousin with a lot of private loans in default. The client - a boomer banker - and my section head were both incredulous to the point of comedy that the private student loan wasn't dischargeable. They kept reinforcing to me that I must not understand the facts - it's not a government loan, young associate.

Worse, his mother had cosigned on the loans.

Both of them were appropriately sympathetic but it was really sad to basically tell the client "your cousin is hosed, let's get his information and get him the least hosed possible."

At least you didn't end it at "He's hosed" and then boot the person out, so that's something!

My first pro bono position after leaving New York is now turning into a paid position. :toot:

Being counsel to smaller charities/corporations is fun. They're actually people!

Unlike giant institutional lenders I've dealt with.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
And here i was just planning on marrying rich.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

MoFauxHawk posted:

The best part is that we don't give a poo poo because we're still living in 2011. So get back to me in 2015 when I take my training on AIA.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

The best part is that we don't give a poo poo because we're still living in 2011. So get back to me in 2015 when I take my training on AIA.

I miss PTO training. I got so drat good at Bejeweled.

How do people make their hours during March Madness? I don't see this going well for me.

I bet if the firm was headquartered in North Carolina I'd have the days off.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

insanityv2 posted:

And here i was just planning on marrying rich.

Maybe if you marry some one that gets paralyzed, that'd count as an undue hardship, and therefore be like marrying rich!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

wacko_- posted:

I bet if the firm was headquartered in North Carolina I'd have the days off.
"Day" off.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

woozle wuzzle posted:

Maybe if you marry some one that gets paralyzed, that'd count as an undue hardship, and therefore be like marrying rich!

Loss of consortium

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
I know nothing about gaming law, so this is a purely academic questions to satisfy my own curiosity. I fully acknowledge and accept that the exposure to prosecution is incredibly low.

The March Madness brackets that everyone gets so hopped up over: don't those constitute betting on college sports? And isn't that illegal in almost every jurisdiction?

Again, I understand that people aren't going to be arrested for it (probably because the police and prosecutors have their own brackets going), I'm just interested in the technical aspect. Is there some exception in the law that exempts the brackets or is this just something we as a society have all agreed to ignore?

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Loss of consortium

That would lead to some undue hardship.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Alaemon posted:

I know nothing about gaming law, so this is a purely academic questions to satisfy my own curiosity. I fully acknowledge and accept that the exposure to prosecution is incredibly low.

The March Madness brackets that everyone gets so hopped up over: don't those constitute betting on college sports? And isn't that illegal in almost every jurisdiction?

Again, I understand that people aren't going to be arrested for it (probably because the police and prosecutors have their own brackets going), I'm just interested in the technical aspect. Is there some exception in the law that exempts the brackets or is this just something we as a society have all agreed to ignore?

I actually had to do a lot of research into gaming law this summer and as you mentioned it is basically state by state. Consequently lots of states have exemptions for small stuff like this and also for the late night poker game type of stuff as well. I'm sure there's states where the "yeah we just won't prosecute you" applies as well.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
I would think that even miniscule winnings from bets like that are not exempt from the IRS. It's still income. Just like a gangster, the only way to get at the office bracket pool winner is with tax evasion.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Yep, extremely state by state. In some states, extremely large pools could and would be prosecuted. Most tend to have one or more of a not-for-profit or charity exception, a stakes exception, a social gambling exception, etc. and a bracket may or may not fall into one of those but is generally simply on the 'agreed to ignore' list.

Also, on the federal level, the UIGEA has a specific exception for fantasy sports. Could somebody creative enough argue that a bracket is a fantasy sport? Maybe!

(It's all very taxable, though)

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

woozle wuzzle posted:

Possibly some long due hardship.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Either way, you've got to work to make it dischargeable.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Popehat's doing an ask me anything at Reddit. This was the first thing I saw on the page he linked to:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

woozle wuzzle posted:

it would undo my hardship

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Zenostein posted:

Popehat's doing an ask me anything at Reddit. This was the first thing I saw on the page he linked to:

great shes probably going to start whining about "all the negativity" p soon.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ainsley McTree posted:

it would undo my hardship

At least I could give some discharges.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Even a day would be nice. I'm here late clearing my filings so I can have the pleasure of watching the games at the sports bar across the street tomorrow while watching my phone for a "where the hell are you" emails.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

Alaemon posted:

At my previous firm, an attorney called the DA and asked about this. He said that yes, it's technically illegal gambling here in Wisconsin, but they have better things to do than prosecute it. He said that as long as all money is distributed he didn't care. So as long as the organizer isn't keeping a percentage or something, it was fine.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I seem to spend so much time reading canadian stuff in Con Law. I hope that Canadians get stuck reading Australian High Court cases in return.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

LordPants posted:

I seem to spend so much time reading canadian stuff in Con Law. I hope that Canadians get stuck reading Australian High Court cases in return.

Nope :smug:

In first year I think I had to read a few Australian cases on assault in torts and a kooky case on promissory estoppel, and some New Zealand property case on the right to lateral support. But that was about it.

Though it did feel like we got stuck reading waaaaaaaay too many American cases in Property

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

quepasa18 posted:

At my previous firm, an attorney called the DA and asked about this. He said that yes, it's technically illegal gambling here in Wisconsin, but they have better things to do than prosecute it. He said that as long as all money is distributed he didn't care. So as long as the organizer isn't keeping a percentage or something, it was fine.

But it's against the law?!

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Only if your bracket's particularly bad.

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!
Wanted: funny person to edit legal humor blog

Bitter Lawyer (bitterlawyer.com) is seeking an editor in chief with vision and a great sense of humor.

About Bitter Lawyer

About 40,000 people visit Bitter Lawyer every month for its essays, interviews, lists, videos, comics, and more. Despite its name, Bitter Lawyer is not just for disaffected lawyers; it is home to some of the best legal humor on the Internet. In addition to the daily columns, comics, lists, and news posts, Bitter Lawyer's rich archive includes two original web series ("Living the Dream" and "The Bottom Rung") and over 50 interviews with lawyers-turned-celebrities.

(Bitter Lawyer is owned by Lawyerist Media, LLC, which also publishes Lawyerist.com, a law practice blog.)

Requirements

Since Bitter Lawyer is a humor website, you must either (1) be funny or (2) know funny when you see it. Or both, preferably. In addition, you must have excellent written communication skills. You will be responsible for some writing and a fair amount of editing the posts of other contributors. You should have a passing familiarity with HTML, or the will to learn (if you know how to create a link using HTML, you will be fine).

Experience creating and editing images, video, and audio is a (big) plus.

Above all, you must have a vision for Bitter Lawyer. We want to know what you think Bitter Lawyer ought to be, and we want to see your plan for making that happen.

Law degree optional. If you have the skills, vision, and drive, we don't really care whether you are a lawyer.

Responsibilities

This is a part-time job. We anticipate your editorial duties will take up about 10–15 hours per week.

The editor provides the vision and leadership for a publication, and your #1 responsibility will be the quality and quantity of content published on Bitter Lawyer. That means finding and managing contributors, suggesting material, giving feedback, and preparing and publishing 2–3 posts per day on Bitter Lawyer.

Strictly speaking, you do not have to create content for Bitter Lawyer yourself, although we would prefer an editor who can generate content as well as bring on talent. However you do it, we want to see a minimum of 2 posts per day, to start with. You can come up with them yourself, or you can hire writers, actors, comedians, filmmakers, etc., to create them.

Once posts go up, you will also be responsible for promoting them, primarily on social media, and monitoring their performance. Traffic is only one metric by which we measure performance, but you will be responsible for meeting traffic goals that we set in consultation with you.

Your responsibilities will probably vary a bit depending on the vision we adopt for the site, and the plan we come up with to implement it.

Compensation

Starting pay will be $750 per month, plus additional compensation for the original content you publish on Bitter Lawyer (you will be paid the same as our other contributors, based on the performance of your posts).

Or, pitch us on your idea for sharing the profits.

How to apply

To apply, please email us your resume (PDF format preferred) and a short email outlining your vision and your plan for implementing your vision. Note that we don't care about stuff like where you went to law school. We care about stuff like your vision, your creative background, your ability to write, and your ability to manage.

Send applications to email@lawyerist.com

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

ragle posted:

But it's against the law?!

USDOJ would never bother with it (Organized Crime & Gang Section formally won't), but a March Madness pool could theoretically face prosecution under RICO, which is kind of cool.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

LordPants posted:

I'm a 2l in Canada and I think I've read maybe 3 Australian Court cases, and I think those were in property.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

I don't think I've ever read an Australian case. I assume they're all about whether you can tie up your kangaroo in the courtroom and, if so, whether said kangaroo can legally eat the gavel?

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Bro Enlai posted:

I don't think I've ever read an Australian case. I assume they're all about whether you can tie up your kangaroo in the courtroom and, if so, whether said kangaroo can legally eat the gavel?

Disparaging the boot is a bootable offense!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Well the one I read was about native australians and hunting rights, if I recall correctly. I guess both of our countries have a history of treating natives like poo poo, which is why we were reading them.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

I've read at least one Australian case:
http://rollonfriday.com/Portals/0/ArticleFiles/Transcript_-_Queen_v_DAB11%20%282%29.pdf

e: also the Wagon Mound cases.

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I passed the patent bar Tuesday (just in time too, since Phase 3 gets tested starting April 2) and was wondering if you guys have any advice for a soon to be brand new patent attorney (waiting on the official paperwork to arrive). I'm in Florida, which is where I have my law license. I plan to start the job hunt here, and then expand to DC if necessary since I can waive into the bar there. Anyone have any tips on finding employment? Useful websites or head hunting agencies?

Or any advice at all that isn't just "whiskey, a noose and a chair," which really seems like it should be this thread's subtitle.