Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

scarycave posted:

Welp. Seeing that this thread is going to page 2. Would you mind if I ask questions - I have terrible memory? I haven't read the whole story so far - I left after a certain part for awhile and came back when Katia got robbed blind by that mage-guild chick (who she could rob back if she had some training *wink* *wink*). Is that necromancer with all the cats legit dead? I remembered he got stabbed by that Orc. If he is dead whats going to happen to those poor cats? :ohdear:

One of them made it to Kvatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

I don't if that's better or worse. There aren't any cats in Oblivion. :tinfoil:
Can't believe I forgot that normal lady tried to lure Checkov's kitten with jelly and the comment argument that came with it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yet another update!

Now it gets interesting.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
You can't help feel a bit bad for the poor guy. His paranoia is totally justified considering - well, you know.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

scarycave posted:

You can't help feel a bit bad for the poor guy. His paranoia is totally justified considering - well, you know.

Katia manages to assuage his paranoia just in time for a bunch of Mythic Dawn cultists to sneak into town

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

RickoniX posted:

Katia manages to assuage his paranoia just in time for a bunch of Mythic Dawn cultists to sneak into town

He'll turn over a new leaf and learn not to be so suspicious of people just because the look like culti-

oh god :gonk:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Ursine Asylum posted:

He'll turn over a new leaf and learn not to be so suspicious of people just because the look like culti-

oh god :gonk:

Well, at least everyone quest important will make it out okay. :smith:

Speaking of quests...has Quill-Weaves arch-nemesis appeared in the comic? Which is also the reason I can't "rat" her out anymore even though she's a PET KILLER!

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Vaermia time

Also Kaz said he doesn't update within 3 days he will post his Aladin fanfic he wrote at age six. :allears:

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Fat_Cow posted:

Vaermia time

Also Kaz said he doesn't update within 3 days he will post his Aladin fanfic he wrote at age six. :allears:

I said I'd post one of them. I'm not gonna lie, I have a drawer full of these things. They are all fully illustrated.

Also, I want to share a story about my slow descent into webcomic author madness! Years ago I remember being incredibly confused and disapproving when Rich Burlew (of Order of the Stick) announced that he would not allow anyone to create translations of his comics into other languages. Earlier this week, however, I found myself on the opposite side of the issue: denying permission to someone who wanted to translate Prequel.

I felt kind of bad doing it since it was clear that he really cared about the comic and just wanted to share it with other Korean-speaking people, but his grasp on English seemed fairly rough at best and there was nothing I could do to ensure he would be translating the comic in a representative (or even enjoyable) way. And given my experience with seeing Prequel translated from English into Perfect English there was no way I could let English to Korean fly :saddowns:

I told him after the story is complete, though, I'd probably be more amenable to anyone who wants to translate it. I think it's easier when something is complete since you can look at the story as a whole and understand which elements are important to capture in a translation and which are not. I don't know, though, I might waffle on it again when that time comes. I am still learning all the reasons authors do/don't do things!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh god, the 'I'M USEFUL' panel.

I have a feeling Kaz is going to be teasing us about Kvatch burning for a long time yet to come.

Vaermina's Shrine is on the other side of Cyrodill, right?

Kazerad posted:

I felt kind of bad doing it since it was clear that he really cared about the comic and just wanted to share it with other Korean-speaking people, but his grasp on English seemed fairly rough at best and there was nothing I could do to ensure he would be translating the comic in a representative (or even enjoyable) way. And given my experience with seeing Prequel translated from English into Perfect English there was no way I could let English to Korean fly :saddowns:

Just out of curiosity, would you have considered it if he'd clearly been very fluent and well-written in English?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 24, 2013

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

MikeJF posted:

Just out of curiosity, would you have considered it if he'd clearly been very fluent and well-written in English?

I'm not actually sure. I certainly would have had to think about it harder, even if the part about not yet knowing what story elements are worth preserving still stands. My largest apprehension, though, would be the fact that a lot of the humor and character development is very heavily tied into the language usage (or mis-usage).

Something that always sticks in my mind when it comes to English comprehension is a forum thread I saw years ago on the Steam User Forums. A non-native English speaker wanted to know why the Meet the Engineer video used the singular form of "gun" at 0:50. Personally, I love how they threw the singular in there because it treats "gun" as a liquid quantity rather than a singular thing, which is not only pretty funny but also represents the actual gameplay better (where you can only have one gun, but you upgrade it). Other non-native English speakers who tried to help the guy, however, all just assumed the singular form was used to make the character sound "country" or uneducated. Subtext through language "misusage" like that is one of the biggest things I've been trying to do in Prequel from a writing perspective since the very beginning, and I think it would lose something if the translator was not able to parse the meaning of those statements - or worse, interpreted them as mistakes to correct in his version. Even if someone is well-spoken, details like that can be lost on them.

Kazerad fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 24, 2013

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I guess the feeling must be pretty different when it's your own art being messed with, but why not just let him make a (potentially) bad translation? It's not like you're condoning it as The Official Korean Version and nobody is going to judge your comic on the merits of a fan translation, so what's the problem? Just make it clear to the guy that you'll have nothing to do with it (no putting your name anywhere on it other than as the creator and making sure it links to the english site) and let him go hog wild. Do you think you'll get more Korean fans by waiting years for a translation, rather than having an ongoing progression? What makes you assume that this potential future-translator is going to put enough effort into nuance and accurate foreshadowing to make it superior enough to a piecemeal translation to counter potential readership gains in the short term? Doesn't Korea have a relatively high rate of English comprehension? Couldn't one guy translating be a source of readers/page hits from people looking to read from the source? Or is the problem ultimately that it would involve your work being hosted on another site?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
The only option is for you to learn Korean and translate it yourself. Good luck and god speed! We know you can do it. :patriot:
Heck, maybe if you did just did several panels to show him how the dialogue is supposed to work he might be able to figure it out,either that or you would have to work with him to ensure an accurate translation.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Kazerad posted:

Also, I want to share a story about my slow descent into webcomic author madness! Years ago I remember being incredibly confused and disapproving when Rich Burlew (of Order of the Stick) announced that he would not allow anyone to create translations of his comics into other languages. Earlier this week, however, I found myself on the opposite side of the issue: denying permission to someone who wanted to translate Prequel.
Huh. I thought there were a whole bunch of translations back in the early OotS days that died for some reason.

In my experience, a one-person volunteer translation project is always going to end poorly, regardless of how well that person speaks either language. Community translation projects (even housed in a simple forum thread that isn't necessarily the best medium for such endeavors) tend to work out rather well.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Are we going to be able to kill this guy in his flashback and cause a paradox? :allears:

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Zenzirouj posted:

I guess the feeling must be pretty different when it's your own art being messed with, but why not just let him make a (potentially) bad translation? It's not like you're condoning it as The Official Korean Version and nobody is going to judge your comic on the merits of a fan translation, so what's the problem? Just make it clear to the guy that you'll have nothing to do with it (no putting your name anywhere on it other than as the creator and making sure it links to the english site) and let him go hog wild. Do you think you'll get more Korean fans by waiting years for a translation, rather than having an ongoing progression? What makes you assume that this potential future-translator is going to put enough effort into nuance and accurate foreshadowing to make it superior enough to a piecemeal translation to counter potential readership gains in the short term? Doesn't Korea have a relatively high rate of English comprehension? Couldn't one guy translating be a source of readers/page hits from people looking to read from the source? Or is the problem ultimately that it would involve your work being hosted on another site?

At least for me, the biggest factor is that most people only read something once. Since English is already a very common second language, I would rather someone find the English comic and read it to the best of their ability than have their comprehension limited to that of a sub-par translator. Even if their English ability is worse than his, or they are using an automatic translator, they'd be going into it with the understanding that they might be missing something and would have the ability to research something further if needbe. If they are reading a translation by a native Korean speaker, then there really are no possible cues that his translation might be missing something - his Korean will be perfect, it'll just be missing a lot of information from the original English. Very few people would be compelled to go back and look at the original, especially after reading a translation that seems okay.

You're right that it would probably help in terms of pure readership numbers, but I'm also concerned with making each reader's experience as good (or at least as representative of the actual story) as possible. Since I have no way of actually assessing the quality of a Korean translation it'd be a pretty blind gamble, and that's not something I'd be comfortable with. Once the story is complete, though, I think any translators will probably have an easier time creating an enjoyable read even if it doesn't necessarily capture everything with perfect accuracy.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Despite not being very good at Korean, I've helped with a few translations where we translated English into Korean, typically just explaining the more complicated English passages and turning it into "simple English" that someone reading it as a second language would understand. In my experience, you definitely end up losing things in translation. I think the worst fan translation I ever saw was a Korean translation of the dead bird Monty Python sketch, where "This parrot is no more! It has ceased to be!" was simply translated to "It's dead. It's dead." So while you would increase your fanbase if you allowed it to get translated, I can understand why you'd be against it if you're serious about your creation and how it's represented.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

burritolingus posted:

I think the worst fan translation I ever saw was a Korean translation of the dead bird Monty Python sketch, where "This parrot is no more! It has ceased to be!" was simply translated to "It's dead. It's dead."

This sounds hilarious. Monty Python becomes Samuel Beckett.

CLIENT: This parrot is not alive. It is dead. It's dead. It's dead. It's dead.

CLERK: The parrot is alive.

CLIENT: It's dead. It's dead.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Android Blues posted:

This sounds hilarious. Monty Python becomes Samuel Beckett.

CLIENT: This parrot is not alive. It is dead. It's dead. It's dead. It's dead.

CLERK: The parrot is alive.

CLIENT: It's dead. It's dead.

This sounds like a Python sketch in and of itself. "Classic Scripts for a Simpler Audience", with Idle and Cleese deadpanning back and forth to each other.

CLIENT: I'd like some cheese.

CLERK: We don't have any.

CLIENT: I'd like some cheese.

CLERK: We don't have any.

CLIENT: Do you have any cheese?

CLERK: No.

bang

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
And the flashback progresses somewhat.
I'm going to guess that the trapdoor is going to become important later on.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
I'm sure that's just the cellar, where nothing of interest whatsoever is stored in profusion.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Sworddog: solid lock for Breakout Character Of 2013.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Pssh, I was strapping blades to pets before it was mainstream.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

radintorov posted:

And the flashback progresses somewhat.
I'm going to guess that the trapdoor is going to become important later on.

Well, Katia was looking for a way back in.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I thought this was dead, but apparently not?

Beware, Gaius, the summoner is a palette-swapped King of Worms!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cat Mattress posted:

I thought this was dead, but apparently not?

Beware, Gaius, the summoner is a palette-swapped King of Worms!

:woop:

I kept thinking that I'd remove this thread from my bookmarks. Good thing that I didn't!

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Dang, haven't read this in awhile...can someone remind me who that butterfly fellow is.
Is she a Daedric prince or something?

:effort:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

scarycave posted:

Dang, haven't read this in awhile...can someone remind me who that butterfly fellow is.
Is she a Daedric prince or something?
Vaermina, Daedric Prince of dreams and nightmares.

Kaz used the design from Daggerfall for both Vaermina and the conjurer: nice call-back.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

radintorov posted:

Kaz used the design from Daggerfall for both Vaermina and the conjurer: nice call-back.

For reference. The fancy spiky collar/shoulder-things make it look kinda like this guy though. Of course the sprites are basically identical except for color and a couple details.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I'm half expecting Sigrid to say "Hello mother, nice to see you again"

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
New update is out: Sigrid steps in to negotiate.
I'm going to venture that this is how that terrifying mural that adorns the dining room came to be?
Because it looks like that's the same room the ritual took place in.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I like how the text gets more offset the more emphasis Vaermina puts into her words. It's a nice touch.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

radintorov posted:

Vaermina, Daedric Prince of dreams and nightmares.

Can't believe I haven't ran into her in-game, her reward sounds awesome. I'd love to see a Sigrid vs Eviler Sigrid battle. :allears:
Then again I never get past level 8 - modding.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The wiki entry doesn't mention her having a particular love of paints (if that's what those are). What's the deal?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Xander77 posted:

The wiki entry doesn't mention her having a particular love of paints (if that's what those are). What's the deal?

I don't see a new page up, but if your talking about the gay painting - I think its for comedic purposes.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

Is it supposed to be a scary clown joke (y'know, prince of nightmares and that)? Paint normally doesn't come in wide flat pots like that, but greasepaint often does.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Though she does enjoy causing nightmares, and the Ethnic Diversity Mural is quite good at doing that.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Sigrid would be pretty cute if she wasn't so drat conniving and manipulative.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

IronSaber posted:

Sigrid would be pretty cute if she wasn't so drat conniving and manipulative.

And so it begins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Volmarias posted:

And so it begins

I... I think I need to go lie down for a while... :gonk:

• Locked thread