Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

That looks too good for a PS3 game. Wonder what it looks like in motion.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

That looks too good for a PS3 game. Wonder what it looks like in motion.

According to the trailers we've seen: pretty bad. Framedrops were a problem in 13-2, and the trailers don't make it look that has changed.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So, the last image means that hp rec is really hard to come?
Are we going to have an actual RPG where hp/mp means something between battles?

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
That's interesting. Usually these games work by making you constantly pour HP into your guys faster than the enemies can siphon it out. If HP is at a premium this time and you can somehow avoid losing it rather than just refilling it, i would be intrigued by the otherwise radically lovely-looking Final Fantasy 13 3 Lightning Returns

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Aureon posted:

I think, judging from the pricing, that it means money will be hard to come by more than anything else.

Then again, this is Final Fantasy so that can't be right.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Why does more healing come at a premium instead of a discount (i.e. it is substantially cheaper to heal 10% 10 times than it is to heal 100% once)? Or can you only do each once, or it's a percentage of missing HP or something?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dross posted:

Why does more healing come at a premium instead of a discount (i.e. it is substantially cheaper to heal 10% 10 times than it is to heal 100% once)? Or can you only do each once, or it's a percentage of missing HP or something?

Considering they stressed time as an issue it could be that you're investing time as well as money in a heal, so healing 10 times to save a little Gil would involve more of an actual investment of your limited time.

(Lightning just sittin' there chomping away on a box of Baguettes while the world explodes.)

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
drat, those shots are also gorgeous. Hype level rising.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Something that takes the series back to it's roots or do you mean something that tells it's story simply and effectively?

Honestly, both. I miss having a story that isn't needlessly complicated, has whimsical characters, has some sweeping musical scores and feels like a proper fantasy game.

Oh, and it needs more crystals.

It's been forever since I've been anywhere near interested in this series, that playing Theatrhythm makes me feel sad that I might not see stuff like V or IX ever again.

Proto Cloud fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 21, 2013

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
Not sure if I'm into the idea of FFXIII-3 having some kind of timer or whatever the rumor is. I get really anxious just in games where they have a countdown. Not sure I could take it for a 30 hour game, haha. :smith:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

pretend to care posted:

Not sure if I'm into the idea of FFXIII-3 having some kind of timer or whatever the rumor is. I get really anxious just in games where they have a countdown. Not sure I could take it for a 30 hour game, haha. :smith:

Yeah, not sure how this will work out unless you have some way to reset the timer like in Majora's Mask without losing all of your progress. I imagine there will have to be something like that, because FF is built on grinding or farming drops or tedious sidequests/minigames.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

(Lightning just sittin' there chomping away on a box of Baguettes while the world explodes.)

I now hope there is an achievement for that. Also if there is a reset mechanic ad they include no way to bank money, the low prices on food would make sense. The attrition mechanic is really going to depend on how much control and evasion ability you have in combat, though. The new combat system probably has me most excited, and I want to hear more details about what they will let you do in it.

And it looks like they can make decent outfits after all!

chumbler fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 21, 2013

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Aureon posted:

Are we going to have an actual RPG where hp/mp means something between battles?

I sure loving hope not. I have played exactly 2 games that got this right and neither of them have the words, "final fantasy" in their title.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Failboattootoot posted:

I sure loving hope not. I have played exactly 2 games that got this right and neither of them have the words, "final fantasy" in their title.
To be fair, has any final fantasy game even tried anything like that?

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Endorph posted:

To be fair, has any final fantasy game even tried anything like that?

REALLY scarce? no.
"You're gonna have difficulties reaching next tent spot?"
IV for sure, and midly all I-X.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

pretend to care posted:

Maybe it'll be in some kind of Valkyrie Profile-system, where you have a certain limited number of places you can choose to go per 'stage'?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Aureon posted:

REALLY scarce? no.

Addressable in all versions by bringing adequate restorative items. 99 Hi-Potions is usually pocket change by a third of the way through a game.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dross posted:

Addressable in all versions by bringing adequate restorative items. 99 Hi-Potions is usually pocket change by a third of the way through a game.

pretty sure it wasn't so in IV-psp.

Rygorous
Apr 23, 2008

pretend to care posted:

Maybe it'll be something like Dead Rising; you get to start over with the same level and items to make the next playthrough easier until you feel able to go through the entire story. As I understand it this game will make it impossible/near impossible to see every possible story event because of the limited time limit so there will be multiple playthroughs.

Rygorous fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 22, 2013

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
The game in general is reminding me of Valkyrie Profile, it has the same doomsday clock and Lightning is basically a valkyrie.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Rygorous posted:

Maybe it'll be something like Dead Rising; you get to start over with the same level and items to make the next playthrough easier until you feel able to go through the entire story. As I understand it this game will make it impossible/near impossible to see every possible story event because of the limited time limit so there will be multiple playthroughs.

I absolutely hated BoF: Dragon Quarter due to those mechanics.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

The game in general is reminding me of Valkyrie Profile, it has the same doomsday clock and Lightning is basically a valkyrie.

Because reasons

God I hated 13-2s treatment of 13. I actually have no idea what the deal is with 13-3. Is it a sequel to 13-2? Do they ignore it? (please say yes). Is it fan fiction given life (again?).

Boogalo posted:

I absolutely hated BoF: Dragon Quarter due to those mechanics.

You are a bad person, DQ was awesome :mad:

Also had some wonderful music from Sakimoto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BksX_ISV5q0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpcPpWlg4c0

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

victrix posted:

You are a bad person, DQ was awesome :mad:

I was young and impatient and wanted more BoF3. I should hunt it down and try it again. I had trouble getting into Dead Rising as well.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Boogalo posted:

I was young and impatient and wanted more BoF3.

Then play BoF4? :confused:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Boogalo posted:

I was young and impatient and wanted more BoF3. I should hunt it down and try it again. I had trouble getting into Dead Rising as well.

Just adjust your thinking a bit and its easy to get into. The game was literally built for you to replay it, in terms of new events unlocked and stuff that carried over.

Plus it wasn't that hard to just beat it if you didn't care about seeing all the extra stuff either. I think on my completion run I restarted once very early in the game when I had a clue and then plowed to the end on my second try (with a pretty sweet finish, I was in the 90%s in the final series of fights iirc).

Neat story/world too. I can see how it'd be a shock coming from a BoF fan though, I wasn't, so to me it was appealing :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

Tri-Ace supposedly helped on FFXIII-2. I bet they did on FFXIII-3 too.

A shame because VP is literally my favorite JRPG ever and if FFXIII-3 was just Valkyrie Profile 4 I'd be happy as hell. :smith:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Krad posted:

I skipped 4 for some reason. I didn't know there was another BoF until I saw Dragon Quarter on a shelf so I still get the numbers mixed up. Is it too much of a stretch to expect 5 to be like 3?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Boogalo posted:

I skipped 4 for some reason. I didn't know there was another BoF until I saw Dragon Quarter on a shelf so I still get the numbers mixed up. Is it too much of a stretch to expect 5 to be like 3?

Yes. It is too much of a stretch to believe any game could be like 3. No other game should ever be like BoF2 or 3. Those loving games were Chores: The JRPG.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Failboattootoot posted:

My condolences for you only haven't played two of the Dragon Warrior games. I hope they were 3, 4, 6, or 9 at least.

Aureon posted:

REALLY scarce? no.

FF4 never had a "you'll have a hard time reaching the next save point" area, not even the terribly done DS version or the 'hard-type' SNES(and PSP?) version unless you're trying to auto-attack your way through the lunar subterrane.

Krad posted:

I never finished BoF4, I really should do so as it was fun and the "switch over to Play Fou Lu and wreck people's poo poo" parts were always great. There's a reason the series died with Dragon Quarter.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Boogalo posted:

5 is a completely different genre. Do your younger self a favour and get 4, it's as good as if not better than 3.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

A shame because VP is literally my favorite JRPG ever and if FFXIII-3 was just Valkyrie Profile 4 I'd be happy as hell. :smith:

I still don't understand how or why VP2 didn't get more recognition. It had a really fun battle system and the graphics were loving insane for the PS2. The final areas in that game were loaded with :stare: areas.

I guess it just came out at a really bad time, at the end of the generation (sorta similar to FF9 in that respect), so it was overshadowed by shiny new releases.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

victrix posted:

I still don't understand how or why VP2 didn't get more recognition. It had a really fun battle system and the graphics were loving insane for the PS2. The final areas in that game were loaded with :stare: areas.

I guess it just came out at a really bad time, at the end of the generation (sorta similar to FF9 in that respect), so it was overshadowed by shiny new releases.

I prefer VP1 personally, I like the big focus on the einheryar and I'm a sucker for good spritework. Not to say that VP2 wasn't great though. I even liked Covenant of the Plume, though it didn't come close to the other two.

Sex Beef 2.0 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 22, 2013

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Krad posted:

5 is a completely different genre. Do your younger self a favour and get 4, it's as good as if not better than 3.

Will do. It's a nice cheap $6 on psn too. Since I picked up a PS3 recently, I've been tempted to get a vita or old psp to play my psx RPGs on.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 22, 2013

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Boogalo posted:

Will do. It's a nice cheap $6 on psn too. Since I picked up a PS3, I've been tempted to get a vita or old psp to play my psx RPGs on.

Get the PSP and mod it. It's stunningly easy and the back catalog is unreal if you enjoy rpgs or srpgs. Anything not on PSN can be found in bargain bins for a pittance.

This is a good time to do it too, because that stuff is vanishing from shelves to make way for the Vita.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

victrix posted:

Because reasons

I'm not sure if you're being facetious here. Lightning in XIII-2 was explicitly called Valkyrie Lightning.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Posted this in the Steam thread earlier, but it's more relevant here, I think.

quote:

Why are Final Fantasy 7 and Final Fantasy 8 on Steam?

http://steamdb.info/app/39140/
http://steamdb.info/app/39150/

Achievement picture assets were hosted on Steam on March 18th, apparently, which probably indicates that they're going to be coming to the store soon.

More importantly: Is this the same lazy downgrade PC port that was released via the online Playstation store last year? All the bugs were present with no fixes, no PC optimization had been performed, achievements were lazily slapped in as the primary feature and the music quality was a significant downgrade to the point where people actually hacked the game to put the original Playstation music files back in.

I can't imagine Square-Enix would put a significantly better version on Steam than their store, so I guess in advance the warning should be - if you want to play Final Fantasy 7 as you did when you were a kid, take your old FF7 CD, burn a rom of it and play that. At least on a decent emulator you have frameskip, savestate and Gameshark functionality. If it isn't an improvement, neither of these ports are worth your money.

Unless you want to buy a ton of copies to tell Square-Enix that, yes, there's a market for their old games on the PC and to please put the rest of their catalogue on PC. But even that isn't likely to happen.

Do yourself a favor and don't pick them up when they go on sale. Unless, of course, they're actually a superior product than was released last year for PC. (They won't be)

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Winks posted:

I'm not sure if you're being facetious here. Lightning in XIII-2 was explicitly called Valkyrie Lightning.

He's just finding ways to bash on XIII-2 more.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Aureon posted:

pretty sure it wasn't so in IV-psp.

Nah, healing was cheap enough in IV too. Mostly because White Mages had enough MP to basically spam the spell between tent points and when they started to get low enough to worry about potions WERE cheap enough to cover the distance.

I think the problem most people ran into in IV was that most gear upgrades weren't cheap, but most gear upgrades were also pointless because most of them were way too overpriced for very minor gains that would usually be obsoleted by stuff you'd find for free in the next dungeon. There are very few parts where buying more then a couple pieces of whatever a town is selling is worthwhile, and if you do that money for consumables should never be a concern.

The only Final Fantasy I can think of where staying at high health was ever an issue would be early in the original versions of FF1. A couple like 4 and 7 could occasionally trick you into thinking you need to spend money more on stuff besides consumables, but those two are also the guiltiest installments of making store-bought gear obsolete extremely quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mr. Locke posted:

The only Final Fantasy I can think of where staying at high health was ever an issue would be early in the original versions of FF1.

You can buy high-potions and ethers like water in FF1 and in a game where you're not likely to have more than 500-600 HP by end game 150 HP of healing is really, really good. Not to mention in a lot of late game dungeons you can coast by just spamming healing helm over and over on your mages for free party wide 60ish HP. Granted, gently caress the ice cavern.