Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Partycat posted:

So with the Cisco SG300 throw<snip> these things into the incinerator?

Yep, do that with a quickness. We have a handful of these out in the field and they are terrible. Just terrible...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Partycat posted:

So with the Cisco SG300, I am trying to write a recovery procedure for non technical persons. IE, they won't know how to get the device on the network, they just want to get a hot-spare going.

I have RANCID backing up the configs, but the configs are a real mess. Some of the commands seem to be at the bottom of the config, that it wants before it parses the information at the top (but it doesn't really need to be at the top, doesn't functionally do anything).

Trying to get AAA setup on it, so I am throwing in "aaa authentication enable Console local" to use the local user, except local is not an option and it rejects the command. Local is clearly listed in the command guide, as well as in the backup configuration, but it's not available at the CLI?

Anyone ran into this or have any thoughts, orther than throwing these things into the incinerator?

Does it support TFTP boot?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

psydude posted:

Anyone ever used Ubiquiti's wired solutions? I've used their wireless stuff before; the price is certainly right.
I have 10 Edgerouters in production right now, and 3 more in my trunk for deployment tomorrow.

We've had 1 DOA, 1 randomly lose it's config, and 1 that randomly disables it's ethernet port. But at $100/ea, I don't care, they are cheap enough I could do a 3 node VRRP at every site I deploy them at.

For the 10 in production, I've been quite pleased. We already used Vyatta rather heavily, so this was a nice fit for branch offices that do not need the Cisco ISR features (voice, basically).

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Partycat posted:

So with the Cisco SG300,

There are two decisions I straight-up regret in my current job.

1) buying an Infrant ReadyNAS right before they sold out to Netgear and support went on holiday for a year
2) buying an SG300

Run far, far away. Whatever they're paying you to document the SG300 recovery procedures is more than they'd spend buying a Catalyst switch that isn't a piece of poo poo.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

As far as I can tell it doesn't support TFTP Boot.

The issue is basically that somehow, you can put things into the configuration via the web interface, that you can't put into it with the CLI. When you try, it spits out an error and rejects the line. It also parses the "startup-config" when you copy to it, so you can't sneak it in somewhere.

The config file is a mess, anyways.

So far the login local statements are no good to be applied from the CLI, nor the login banner. As far as I can tell anyways as it stops trying to tell me what's wrong after about 10 lines worth.

But, it does let someone swap the device and get back online and running, we just have to get around to logging in with the default user name/password to the web interface, and then editing those items in by hand through there.

As someone here has said, it's the Cadillac of mini switches. But it's no enterprise gear.

e: as to the above, it is going into a space/cooling constrained cabinet, and needs PoE, so a large catalyst won't work. The cheap price tag is also very attractive.

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay
Is there a reference for all IOS commands (kind of like "man" in Linux?") ? I'm taking a CCNA class and I'm having trouble finding out what each of the commands mean.

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

nescience posted:

Is there a reference for all IOS commands (kind of like "man" in Linux?") ? I'm taking a CCNA class and I'm having trouble finding out what each of the commands mean.
Here is the command reference for IOS 12.4:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/prod_command_reference_list.html

Good luck.

If you are looking for a book, you might want to check out Todd Lammle's CCNA IOS Commands Survival Guide. I haven't read it, but his CCNA book is much better than the Cisco Press one. I wish I had that one when I was studying for it. (Screw you, Wendell Odom!)

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012
I can't stand Lammle.

Hey Todd... why don't you put more exclamation marks in your book! Networking is fun!

gently caress you Todd Lammle.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

teh z0rg posted:

I can't stand Lammle.

Hey Todd... why don't you put more exclamation marks in your book! Networking is fun!

gently caress you Todd Lammle.

A few years ago, times must have gotten rough for Mr. Lammle. Work sent us out on some ASA training that his company was putting on and each day, we passed him each day in a classroom teaching some CCNA Wireless class.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

You should've told him to get off his rear end and put out some CCNP books so we don't have to suffer through Odom.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Anyone heard of/used ttcp?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094694.shtml

Ser Pounce
Feb 9, 2010

In this world the weak are always victims of the strong

I happened upon and used it a few weeks ago to test link speed asymmetries in our Netherlands MPLS between a few 1841s. It's not much different or difficult than running iperf, but nice to be able to so directly router to router.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Yea it's nice, I'm just wondering what the accuracy of it is. On a pair of 3900's connected with a gig uplink across a 10G MAN and <4ms latency between them, I was maxing out at ~2000kB/s.

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012

nescience posted:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/mcl/allreleasemcl/all_book.html

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012

never used it.

I recommend using nuttcp for performance testing.

Ser Pounce
Feb 9, 2010

In this world the weak are always victims of the strong

Powercrazy posted:

Yea it's nice, I'm just wondering what the accuracy of it is. On a pair of 3900's connected with a gig uplink across a 10G MAN and <4ms latency between them, I was maxing out at ~2000kB/s.

I was only using to confirm if a link would crap out and start with packet loss at 2mb downstream, which it did, and that I could push 10 up no problems, and confirm what I was seeing with iperf an ntttcp. It seemed pretty accurate in comparison to the server based tools to me.

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

Powercrazy posted:

I would take the results with a grain of salt because stuff like ping always hits the CPU. I typically use iperf (with UDP) between two servers.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Believe me, If I had servers available I would use them. But if this is all i've got, i'd like to know if i can at least use it to estimate.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I've got several branch offices with two outside network connections. One is from an MPLS provider that is only supposed to handle traffic for internal inter-office addresses, we'll say anything on the 10.x.x.x/16 network. The other is for anything else, is sitting on a regular internet connection and goes to a firewall.

The MPLS side is using EIGRP to advertise all of the routes with a gateway of last resort pointing at the internet firewall. The idea there being that the routes advertised by EIGRP are going to be hit first, and if they go down, all traffic should go out the internet side.

Once the MPLS connection comes back up and EIGRP rebuilds the neighbor table, how long should I expect traffic to keep going to the gateway of last resort? I've done a few tests and if the MPLS connection goes down and comes back up more than a few times in a row, it seems like traffic never stops using the 0.0.0.0 route.

Does that sound normal?

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

I'm looking for a yes or no answer to keep my sanity. ASA NAT is dumb and so am I. Emphasize the last point

I have 3 external IP's for a 5505 to use on 9.0 code

First ip is set to the external Vlan 2 and put on the outside interface

The other 2 external IP's need to be setup to static nat to some internal IP's via a specific range of ports.

Is this possible on a 5505 without security+? I'm getting conflicting how-to's and reports from google and the Cisco support forums.

If possible, I'll keep on the course I'm on now. Building out a box and going to try to do some static NAT for those IP's anyways but I'm worried things may get rejected on the outside interface somehow.

My NAT experience is very limited as I haven't been allowed any chance to practice it at this gig.

Edit: Figured out how to do most of it via help from TAC. I gave them a base config for what I was doing and they're helping me fill in the blanks. Love me some cisco support, they have always been amazing to me.

Langolas fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 25, 2013

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Add one IP to the interface, add NAT rules for the others. They don't need to be added as "secondary" IPs on the interface or anything.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

falz posted:

Add one IP to the interface, add NAT rules for the others. They don't need to be added as "secondary" IPs on the interface or anything.

Yep thats what I figured out to do. I saw some conflicting reports on the cisco forums from users saying its "not possible" but that didn't make sense to me. I wrote up my basic config with what I figured out and opened a TAC ticket to make sure I get everything right on the first shot before I YOTJ out.

Thanks!

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Does anyone here have access to the TAC tool that will read a CPU profile dump from an ASA?

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

squidflakes posted:

I've got several branch offices with two outside network connections. One is from an MPLS provider that is only supposed to handle traffic for internal inter-office addresses, we'll say anything on the 10.x.x.x/16 network. The other is for anything else, is sitting on a regular internet connection and goes to a firewall.

The MPLS side is using EIGRP to advertise all of the routes with a gateway of last resort pointing at the internet firewall. The idea there being that the routes advertised by EIGRP are going to be hit first, and if they go down, all traffic should go out the internet side.

Once the MPLS connection comes back up and EIGRP rebuilds the neighbor table, how long should I expect traffic to keep going to the gateway of last resort? I've done a few tests and if the MPLS connection goes down and comes back up more than a few times in a row, it seems like traffic never stops using the 0.0.0.0 route.

Does that sound normal?

Technically, once the EIGRP MPLS router rebuilds the table, your routes should go that way since the more specific route is there and not go via the the default route but also metrics could come into play. What does the traceroutes look like when you do this? It could be that the way you are bouncing the router, it doesnt have those routes as stable so maybe the routing table isnt converged? I'm dont work with EIGRP much but that's my routing guess.

Sounds like some details are missing as well. If the MPLS connection is down with the default in place, it'll route towards the internet circuit and die unless you build a VPN tunnel to that destined site?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Anyone have any ideas about iDevice printing via Bonjour, port 5353, and multicast?

We have a Cisco 5505 WLC. I've enabled Multicast globally, but there is a "Multicast Vlan Feature" that I can enable specifically on the SSID for the wireless group. It asks what interface I want to use with a drop down listing management and various VLANs.

Curious if anyone could offer any tips.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

It all sucks. Is your printer on a different vlan than your i device?

We "solved" the problem in our corp hq by dropping a linux box running avahi onto a trunk port.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Bonjour isn't meant for enterprise use is basically what it comes down to.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

jwh posted:

It all sucks. Is your printer on a different vlan than your i device?

We "solved" the problem in our corp hq by dropping a linux box running avahi onto a trunk port.

Printers are iDevice should all be on the same vlan.

How would avahi help? Would it take the place of Bonjour and the software our sys techs are trying to use?

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 27, 2013

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Printers are iDevice should all be on the same vlan.

How would avahi help? Would it take the place of Bonjour and the software our sys techs are trying to use?

It proxies the mDNS traffic, so the mDNS SD works across multiple VLANs. Cisco have a built-in version in 7.4 WLC software (Bonjour proxy).

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Actually that may have inadvertently solved it. We're running 7.2 and it looks like Bonjour was added in 7.4

ed

Don't buy an ASR1002. There's a serious bug either software or hardware the fucks with the line cards. We've had to RMA them multiple times and it looks like this is also the source of the sonet problems we've been having.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 28, 2013

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Don't buy an ASR1002. There's a serious bug either software or hardware the fucks with the line cards. We've had to RMA them multiple times and it looks like this is also the source of the sonet problems we've been having.
Not that a whole lot of you will be in danger of doing this, but don't buy Dell/Force10 Z9000s.

A 32-bit counter bug in a timer rebooted our spine switches one night. I got the dubious honor of having my infrastructure generate a field alert. Finally got the maintenance window to upgrade the software, and encountered an unpublished bug where our VLANs won't route. To fix it, either shut/unshut the VLAN interface or occasionally, we get to remove and reconfigure the VLAN interface entirely! Really sweet low-impact workaround.
:tipshat:

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
Quick video explaining whats in the new CCENT & CCNA Certifications. It's a google hangout session with Jeremy Cioara (The CBT Nuggets guy).

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Wow, not sure what to think of that guy. Interesting changes. I think I will try to get through the current exam.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Me too.

BlueCat
Nov 3, 2005
I Demand Satisfaction!
So i've spent at least 2 days trying to get IPv6 working correctly at home. I'm at a point where I can at least get ICMP replies back from ipv6.google.com on the console of the ASA but not from a client (Win8 or Win 2012).

I have no idea where i'm going wrong with this...

Topology is currently:

Internet -> Fritz!Box 7390 VDSL router -> ASA5505 -> Inside switch -> Client

ASA is in routed firewall mode. IPv4 connectivity is working perfectly. Software version is 9.1(1)

Outside interface (VLAN2) is being autoconfigured via SLAAC (not dhcpv6) - this is working

Inside interface (VLAN1) I want to have autoconfigured, but this doesn't work for some reason. Perhaps I need to configure an ACL, I don't know what the ACL should be. Setting the IPv6 address manually is fine and I can ping it from a client and the client picks up an autoconfigured address in the same subnet.

I've configured a default route for ::/0 to Fritz!Box link-local address. If I change this to be the globally assigned address of the Fritz!Box I can no longer ping ipv6.google.com from the console.

I can't get DHCPrelay working for my clients. I've enabled DHCPv6 on the Fritz!Box and enabled DHCPRelay client on the inside interface and defined the link-local address of the Fritz!Box on the outside interface as the DHCPv6 Server.

interface Vlan1
nameif inside
security-level 100
ip address 192.168.1.252 255.255.255.0
ipv6 address fc00::/64 eui-64
ipv6 address fe80::1 link-local
!
interface Vlan2
nameif outside
security-level 0
ip address dhcp setroute
ipv6 address fe80::2 link-local
ipv6 address autoconfig
ipv6 nd suppress-ra
!
ipv6 route outside ::/0 fe80::2665:11ff:feec:d31b
!
access-list inside_access_in extended permit icmp6 any6 any6
access-list inside_access_in extended permit ip any any
!

It appears mostly that I can't ping through the ASA. From the ASA I can ping IPv6 sites fine.

Any help would be appreciated!

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm assuming you have those access lists applied somewhere? Also (probably not related but for what it's worth), all of the TAC FW guys I know are saying stay away from 911 and just go with the newest version of 90x.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

BlueCat posted:

So i've spent at least 2 days trying to get IPv6 working correctly at home. I'm at a point where I can at least get ICMP replies back from ipv6.google.com on the console of the ASA but not from a client (Win8 or Win 2012).

It appears mostly that I can't ping through the ASA. From the ASA I can ping IPv6 sites fine.

Any help would be appreciated!

ASA doesn't support DHCPv6-PD, so hopefully your v6 alloc is static. You'll want to static route one of your /64s to the ASA on the Fritz!Box, then configure that prefix on your inside interface.

If you only get a single /64 from your provider you'll want to look at generating a ULA prefix for internal use, then doing NAT66 in the ASA, or moving to transparent mode.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Thought this might be useful here to anyone looking at the UC platform there is now an emulator out for it. Video in the link.
http://wahlnetwork.com/2013/04/01/cisco-ucs-platform-emulator-walkthrough-video/

Saw it scroll up on one of the people I use to keep uptodate on.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 4, 2013

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Great, more ponies.

Is anyone actually using UCS? By choice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Ninja Rope posted:

Great, more ponies.

Is anyone actually using UCS? By choice?

Yes. No pain with it for going on 2 years now. Except the guy that 'owns' it won't upgrade from 1.4 to 2.0 (his prerogative I guess).