Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexy wheely
Oct 11, 2008

can anyonene tell me what skills are on the full suits for wroggi, nibelsnarf, and durambos cause the wiki doesnt have any of them and i aint even about to go farm a ton of them only to find out they all got skills i dont even freaking need you know what i mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

sexy wheely posted:

can anyonene tell me what skills are on the full suits for wroggi, nibelsnarf, and durambos cause the wiki doesnt have any of them and i aint even about to go farm a ton of them only to find out they all got skills i dont even freaking need you know what i mean?

You can check what skills they give from the smith, just look at an individual piece of the set, hit the skill button (should be told to you in the bottom right of the screen) and look at the skill points that piece gives you.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

OpaqueEcho posted:

If you mean, "can you have more than one active Hunting Horn buff?", then yes. Multiple Hunting Horns casting the same buff do not stack, AFAIK.

Yeah. If play four songs solo, they are all active.

Nice.

Think I finally figured out what weapon I want to main!

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Norns posted:

Yeah. If play four songs solo, they are all active.

Nice.

Think I finally figured out what weapon I want to main!

Hunting Horn has proven to be a big favorite for me and my pompadour sporting hunter. Between hit-and-run face slamming and the great little mid fight jam sessions I get to do, its too fun to pass up.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Cuboidal 64 posted:

Whoever said Great Jaggi was the hump to get over, Qurupeco's gotta be the second, larger hump right behind it. Like I could barely hit it with the hunting horn, half of my attacks kept bouncing off. Got it after a few tries.

Time to fight it like two or three more times for the Qurupeco Horn! Though capturing it seems like it'll be easier.

Queropeco is a good fight to learn positioning on, although that doesn't keep it from being INTENSELY FRUSTRATING. I'm using Dual Swords this time through since the buffs and having to unlearn my hammer 'HIT IT IN THE loving FACE' habits is driving me a little crazy.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Is making a poison weapon a dumb idea? I don't know how status effects work in this game but I want poison for some reason.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Falcon2001 posted:

Queropeco is a good fight to learn positioning on, although that doesn't keep it from being INTENSELY FRUSTRATING. I'm using Dual Swords this time through since the buffs and having to unlearn my hammer 'HIT IT IN THE loving FACE' habits is driving me a little crazy.

The only thing frustrating to me was him flying back and forth every 3 minutes.

That and he kept calling cats for some reason; I heard that the Peco's was a intense and hard monster but all it did was try to light me on fire and call cats. I must of killed 30 cats.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

elf help book posted:

Is making a poison weapon a dumb idea? I don't know how status effects work in this game but I want poison for some reason.

As I recall from Tri, this is really only worthwhile with the Sword and Shield. Someone else feel free to correct me, though.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

sexy wheely posted:

Full Wroggi grants Sharpness, Shakalaka Rally and Negate Poison. And that's on top of making you look like a badass cowboy. :clint:

sexy wheely
Oct 11, 2008

elf help book posted:

It can be good if you're using a fast hitting weap like dual sword or sns, but i dont think I'd use it without having status atk up skill.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

sexy wheely posted:

It can be good if you're using a fast hitting weap like dual sword or sns, but i dont think I'd use it without having status atk up skill.

I'm using long sword and currently using armor that gives the status atk up skill.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

avlein posted:

Full Wroggi grants Sharpness, Shakalaka Rally and Negate Poison. And that's on top of making you look like a badass cowboy. :clint:

Just looked at this in the Brady Guide. I have a new goal. :haw:

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Is there a good "I've never played MH before, what armor/weapons/items should I stock up on for my first missions" information dump somewhere?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

YorexTheMad posted:

Is there a good "I've never played MH before, what armor/weapons/items should I stock up on for my first missions" information dump somewhere?

I keep seeing this as a suggestion. I was considering picking it up myself.

http://weloveculty.com/collections/monster-hunter-beginners-guide

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

elf help book posted:

I'm using long sword and currently using armor that gives the status atk up skill.

Go for DS or SnS.

SnS:
Shadow Saber line (Gigginox)
Dirty Baron line (Wroggi)

DS:
Bloodwings line (Gigginox)

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The only thing frustrating to me was him flying back and forth every 3 minutes.

That and he kept calling cats for some reason; I heard that the Peco's was a intense and hard monster but all it did was try to light me on fire and call cats. I must of killed 30 cats.

The thing is that his Wing claws bounce most weapons at the level you fight him at, so he becomes one of the first monsters to really teach you that bouncing is bad. I guess I'm mostly just taking it harder due to DS needing sharpness.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

It really depends on what you like, and what you think you need.

A lot of people skip Jaggi armor completely and go right to Peco. Has high fire resist and grants AoE to your item uses, which is fantastic for online play.

The sns, hammer, and longsword are really easy to understand, as well as forgiving and fun. As a beginner I would gently caress around with the arena great jaggi with each weapon until I found a wep I was confortable with.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
This game has always intrigued me, but after watching the QuickLook on Giantbomb, I think I might be ready to jump in. I have a quick question, though.

I gave my Wii away to my buddy, but he never plays it. I could borrow that back for a while and play his copy of Tri, or run it via Dolphin for bonus resolution since the servers are down. My other option is to wait til around Christmas, when I might buy myself a 3DS. I've never played any of the series, so I don't really know if playing the 3DS one so soon after the Wii one would even be something that I wanted to do. Are they basically the same game, with the new versions having the extra junk? Are these games even that fun without the multiplayer aspect? I'm under the impression you need a WiiU to play the 3DS version online, though I may have just mis-read something.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Switched.on posted:

This game has always intrigued me, but after watching the QuickLook on Giantbomb, I think I might be ready to jump in. I have a quick question, though.

I gave my Wii away to my buddy, but he never plays it. I could borrow that back for a while and play his copy of Tri, or run it via Dolphin for bonus resolution since the servers are down. My other option is to wait til around Christmas, when I might buy myself a 3DS. I've never played any of the series, so I don't really know if playing the 3DS one so soon after the Wii one would even be something that I wanted to do. Are they basically the same game, with the new versions having the extra junk? Are these games even that fun without the multiplayer aspect? I'm under the impression you need a WiiU to play the 3DS version online, though I may have just mis-read something.

Yes, you need a WiiU to do any online multiplayer either on WiiU or 3DS.

Yes, this is basically MHTri with added bonus stuff, but it's a fair bit of added bonus stuff and really rounds it out.

No, this game is perfectly fun single player, I generally don't play online all that much because I'm awkward and don't like social interactions :shobon: and MH is one of my favorite series. It is super fun online though.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Hey, we should probably include this wiki in the OP, because the one there is kind of awful and mostly untranslated at this point.

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:MH3U

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

Falcon2001 posted:

Yes, you need a WiiU to do any online multiplayer either on WiiU or 3DS.

Yes, this is basically MHTri with added bonus stuff, but it's a fair bit of added bonus stuff and really rounds it out.

No, this game is perfectly fun single player, I generally don't play online all that much because I'm awkward and don't like social interactions :shobon: and MH is one of my favorite series. It is super fun online though.

Awesome, thanks! I'll go ahead and play Tri now, then. I'm not against getting a WiiU, either, but I'm going to wait and see how all the next gen consoles look before I purchase any this time around (I got double burned the last console cycle). Multiplayer can just be one of those new fancy features I can look forward to when I eventually grab a new version.

Botman
Mar 3, 2006
DASH DASH DASH!!!!
I unlocked the 2 star village quests today, and I really want to keep playing, but the website that uses your fish drops to determine what table you have is down right now. So I don't know if I want to risk putting more time into the game if I may just need to restart everything. :sigh:

quote:

Are you using the alternate one? I've used it without issue when the original page errors out trying to put it on the Japanese site.

I've tried it. It either times out, or the connection is reset.

Botman fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 21, 2013

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Botman posted:

I unlocked the 2 star village quests today, and I really want to keep playing, but the website that uses your fish drops to determine what table you have is down right now. So I don't know if I want to risk putting more time into the game if I may just need to restart everything. :sigh:

Are you using the alternate one? I've used it without issue when the original page errors out trying to put it on the Japanese site.

Mayheim
Jun 15, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

They are both timing out for me.
By the way does it matter whenever you use fishfinders or not? I only had 1 of those.

Botman
Mar 3, 2006
DASH DASH DASH!!!!

Mayheim posted:

By the way does it matter whenever you use fishfinders or not? I only had 1 of those.

From what the video said, you'll get better results if you use the Fish Finders.

Edit: Finally got through, and wound up with Table 4. I'm relived I can finally play the game now.

Botman fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 21, 2013

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Mayheim posted:

I didn't and only needed to fish one time to verify what table I'm on. You just want to keep going until you only have one circle in a row to know what table you're on.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Are bows viable when you're playing solo? I'm having a hard time getting the "feel" of the bow's strength, and R-aiming is kind of rough on the 3DS.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

YorexTheMad posted:

Always gather herbs, blue mushrooms and honey. Herb+blue mushroom makes a healing potion and potion+honey makes a mega potion.

Always bring 10 potions, 10 megas and a couple of whetstones and steaks for each fight.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Bows are viable with patience, just like every weapon is, but ranged is more complicated than melee. You have to be the right distance away from the monster, about 3 hops away. Also, since your weapon doesn't bounce like melee would if you hit a bad spot, you can be hitting a lot but dealing next to no damage. It really helps to know the monster's weakspots. Keep those in mind and you'll see bows/guns can keep up with melee or even make some fights much easier.

That said, I don't use bows much and definitely wouldn't use on the 3ds without a circle pad pro.

^ And the backpack lady in the harbor sells pyschoserums. They show you where the monster is. Buy them, love them.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Any goons just starting out the MP? I'm Bobnumerotres and I'll be on all day till around 10~11. Hit me up if you wanna hunt Jaggis/pecos and such.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Ranged definitely is better in MP, but it's not awful in SP...just a bit harder to use.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
So i'm pretty interesting in Tri Ultimate but I don't have a Wii U. Is the 3ds version vastly inferior to the Wii U version? Would I be screwing myself playing it on the 3ds?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

So i'm pretty interesting in Tri Ultimate but I don't have a Wii U. Is the 3ds version vastly inferior to the Wii U version? Would I be screwing myself playing it on the 3ds?

3DS version is literally identical to the WiiU minus multiplayer and of course texture resolution. Same content though.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Falcon2001 posted:

3DS version is literally identical to the WiiU minus multiplayer and of course texture resolution. Same content though.

Seems like it runs better too, framerate wise.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

And if you DO wind up getting a Wii U, you can transfer your save data to the Wii U version.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

Lizard Wizard posted:

And if you DO wind up getting a Wii U, you can transfer your save data to the Wii U version.

Well, tomorrow you'll be able to:

"Hunters, Europe and NA/AU save data transfer program and packet relay tool will go live on Friday on Nintendo e-Shop."

https://twitter.com/monsterhunter/status/314792484842659840

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I didn't and only needed to fish one time to verify what table I'm on. You just want to keep going until you only have one circle in a row to know what table you're on.

As I'm reading; it should be like:

code:
1 2 3 4 5
X O X O O
O X X X O
X X O X O
Would mean table 5 right?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Wozbo posted:

As I'm reading; it should be like:

code:
1 2 3 4 5
X O X O O
O X X X O
X X O X O
Would mean table 5 right?

yes

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Shweet, then I got table 10 on first go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wozbo posted:

Shweet, then I got table 10 on first go.

High five first-try table 10 bro.

Volvidon is a butt! Stop rolling all over the place you rear end in a top hat, I'm trying to hit you with a giant ice mallet! :mad: It's like Uragaan had a crack baby with a Lagombi.

Do you get the chance to hunt Great Wroggis anywhere but the Flooded Forest? I hate that place. Too much clutter. I want cowboy gunner gear!

• Locked thread