Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Phone posted:

I've been phone posting, so I may have said something weird; however, I was intending to say that there is now a precedent for banning specific tires because of this year's ban on the 195 R1R.

I never meant to say that the R1R ban was inline with previous SCCA actions.

Ah ok, then I misunderstood. Yes, the R1R ban is now a precedent, but I'm not entirely sure it was wise to make it one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gotchobo
Apr 18, 2009

life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery

Dubious posted:

Being new to Seattle, I've been meaning to check out Bremerton and fart around the course with my Z28; looks like I just missed the first novice day?

There's another 'novice school' on the 20th of April by the NWR-SCCA @ Bremerton park.

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.advert/uidEvent/D5922A04-A1B6-A4F0-CADED5CBCB03AB99#.UUt8yUx6J8H

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Thoughts, coming from an autoX newbie (only 1 year): Getting rid of rcomps in stock class is a good thing. It means if someone shows up in a newish car on good summer tires they have a place to go and not feel completely outclassed. This year I met quite a few people who decided not to come back because they have no one to compete against. Of course driver skill plays a huge factor for newbies, but if you have an experienced driver show them how fast their car can really be it helps keep interest up.

Also, this was kinda glossed over:

quote:

The proposal includes changes to the allowances for tires, shocks, sway bars and wheels as well as new language to allow for camber adjustment and the disabling of traction and stability control.

I know this is huge for BMWs, and possibly other manufacturers. I don't think there is any M or non-M car that can be competitive in slalom without camber changes. But being able to dial in lots of negative front camber can make BMWs quite competitive - If I recall correctly an e36 M3 took STU last year.

Kinda makes me wish I hadn't already bought decent coilovers already. I decided to go for STU/BSP instead of stock because of the rcomps and inability to get good camber. But with camber plates, konis and a massive front swaybar I'd probably have just as much fun for 1/2 the price.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 21, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Camber adjustment is pretty huge for Subarus as well, as are rear swaybars (which were only allowed in stock very recently).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The camber strut poo poo is basically only for BMWs and Subarus, everybody else doesn't exactly have options due to clearance issues with stock springs.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Keep in mind that posting was for comments. So if you're a SCCA member and like the change make sure to let them know. They actually do care about the public's responses.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Are any Seattle goons going to the WWSCC events at Emerald Downs this weekend? I'll be bringing my new FM car if I can get the carbs fueled properly tomorrow.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Phone posted:

The camber strut poo poo is basically only for BMWs and Subarus, everybody else doesn't exactly have options due to clearance issues with stock springs.

Spoken like someone who has never owned a Mustang!

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
So I was out at one of the coldest wettest autocrosses I have ever been to last weekend. I spun on my second or third run on RS-3s and slid sideways for about 30-50 feet. The front right tire (I was sliding sideways toward the right side) made a loud grinding sound and I saw rubber flying out the other side of my car. In paddock there was about an inch to and inch and a half wide strip of rubber missing that was about 1/16-1/32" rubber missing (the surface roughness was as though it delaminated and none of the fresh rubber had touched ground aka scalloped looking). The tires is pretty out of balance now. They are 225 wide on 6" rims, the high was about 40 with standing water everywhere, and the tires only have about 6 autocrosses, 2 track days, and a few thousand miles on them tops. Any idea whats going on here? Ive never had tires like this.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What pressure were you running that tire at? It sounds like when I cooked the outside edges of both my front RS3s running too low of a pressure on a hot day.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Sadi posted:

So I was out at one of the coldest wettest autocrosses I have ever been to last weekend. I spun on my second or third run on RS-3s and slid sideways for about 30-50 feet. The front right tire (I was sliding sideways toward the right side) made a loud grinding sound and I saw rubber flying out the other side of my car. In paddock there was about an inch to and inch and a half wide strip of rubber missing that was about 1/16-1/32" rubber missing (the surface roughness was as though it delaminated and none of the fresh rubber had touched ground aka scalloped looking). The tires is pretty out of balance now. They are 225 wide on 6" rims, the high was about 40 with standing water everywhere, and the tires only have about 6 autocrosses, 2 track days, and a few thousand miles on them tops. Any idea whats going on here? Ive never had tires like this.

If they were locked up, it's called flat spotting.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Muffinpox posted:

If they were locked up, it's called flat spotting.

I know flat spotting. This is a solid ring around the inside perimeter. The wheels were apparently still rotating. Ill post pics when I can.

As for air pressure, I was bad and didnt check but it was likely lowish because I only use them for autocross and had just done my first front to rear rotation. I wasnt super concerned with setting a good time due to the amount of water coming down. I was more looking to have a good time and learn the dynamics in heavy wet. I wouldn't have been surprised to see something like this if it were hot out, but it was 45 tops, pouring rain, and windy.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

The better question is why are you running a 225 on a 6" wheel?

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

TrueChaos posted:

The better question is why are you running a 225 on a 6" wheel?

Cripes, I run a 225 on a 7.5" wheel and it fits just about right. I'd say that's a part of your problem.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
AUTOCROSS MOTHERFUCKER!!

Can I squeeze a 225mm wide tire on a 6" wheel? Yeah!

Should I? Probably not.

Why? AUTOCROSS: LIVE. BREATHE. SCCA SOLO2 HANDBOOK.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Sadi posted:

I know flat spotting. This is a solid ring around the inside perimeter. The wheels were apparently still rotating. Ill post pics when I can.

As for air pressure, I was bad and didnt check but it was likely lowish because I only use them for autocross and had just done my first front to rear rotation. I wasnt super concerned with setting a good time due to the amount of water coming down. I was more looking to have a good time and learn the dynamics in heavy wet. I wouldn't have been surprised to see something like this if it were hot out, but it was 45 tops, pouring rain, and windy.

A picture would be helpful for everyone.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

User Error posted:

Cripes, I run a 225 on a 7.5" wheel and it fits just about right. I'd say that's a part of your problem.

Yeah, my 225 RS3s flap around like a used condom on a 17x7 wheel. So I went out and bought a car that has 225 RS3s on a 15x9 wheel.

Jesus, I have some hosed up priorities tire-wise.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Phone posted:

AUTOCROSS MOTHERFUCKER!!

Can I squeeze a 225mm wide tire on a 6" wheel? Yeah!

Should I? Probably not.

Why? AUTOCROSS: LIVE. BREATHE. SCCA SOLO2 HANDBOOK.

Pretty much. 15x6s are cheap, I cant run wider wheels in stock class, the RS3s were about the fastest and cheapest tire around when I ordered them and thats the only size they are available in in 15". I like track days better so when I have more cash I plan on getting a set of 15x8s or 9s.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Ive been super busy with school, but a friend was videoing the run. Heres the sound it made. Ill pull the tires tomorrow and take pictures of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg1Z8NDwhGw&t=52s

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Sounds like it was hitting the fender.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Phone posted:

Sounds like it was hitting the fender.

Somebody mentioned that and didn't think it was likely but the more I think about the dynamics that's probably what happened. They don't rub at full lock, but full lock plus full tire deformation probably did make them rub.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I had a set of Kosei K1-TS (15x7) and the R-S3, and while my car was lowered, I need to roll the fronts.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
You can see the annoyance on my tire guy's face when I ask him to mount my 215mm rcomps with stiff rear end sidewalls onto the skinny stock wheels on my neon.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you really want to get your money's worth, ask him to mount some 35 series R-comps in the 17" inch variety.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

In today's hilarity. RS-3's are now miraculously 200 tread wear rating!

http://www.roadraceautox.com/showthread.php?t=43987

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

The Locator posted:

In today's hilarity. RS-3's are now miraculously 200 tread wear rating!

http://www.roadraceautox.com/showthread.php?t=43987

For those who don't want to follow the link, Hankook has relabeled the RS-3 as a 200 TW tire (used to be 140) because it actually was a 200 TW tire (Tire Rack is backing up this claim with experimental testing), and labeling it at 200 now lets it meet various racing organizations regulations (SCCA Solo was not explicitly mentioned). While labeling a 200 TW tire as 140 is not really illegal, the timing coincidence of the change to 200 seems odd.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Brigdh posted:

For those who don't want to follow the link, Hankook has relabeled the RS-3 as a 200 TW tire (used to be 140) because it actually was a 200 TW tire (Tire Rack is backing up this claim with experimental testing), and labeling it at 200 now lets it meet various racing organizations regulations (SCCA Solo was not explicitly mentioned). While labeling a 200 TW tire as 140 is not really illegal, the timing coincidence of the change to 200 seems odd.

I thought the reverse was true, that it was considered acceptable to label a tire the lowest tread wear your process could possible hit, but that it would be impermissible to label a low tread wear tire as high.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Sadi posted:

I thought the reverse was true, that it was considered acceptable to label a tire the lowest tread wear your process could possible hit, but that it would be impermissible to label a low tread wear tire as high.

Err, maybe I've confused you.

Hankook is saying that the RS-3 initially tested as at 200 TW tire. For some reason they marked it as a 140 TW tire. I'm saying this is ok, because all they are doing is advertising that the tire wears faster than it actually does.

Now, Hankook wants to label it as 200 TW. I have no problem with this, assuming that it still tests as a 200 TW tire.

The problem would be if the tire tests as 140, and Hankook labels it as 200. Now Hankook is effectively deceiving consumers through false advertising by saying the tire will last longer than it actually will (assuming some standard conditions).

I'm curious, why did Hankook label it as 140 in the first place? It seems odd that some club would mandate exactly 140, and not a minimum of 140...

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I find this whole thing hilarious. I just ordered brand new RS3's and got them on the 3rd. Looks like my 140TW tires are now magically 200TW tires. It'll be interesting to see what Hoosier does now as well.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

G-Mach posted:

I find this whole thing hilarious. I just ordered brand new RS3's and got them on the 3rd. Looks like my 140TW tires are now magically 200TW tires. It'll be interesting to see what Hoosier does now as well.

I suspect hoosier won't do anything. ST has been around a while, and always required a 140 tire, yet hoosier never released a tire for them. The Street proposal isn't final yet, so its possible (although unlikely from the unofficial feedback I've heard) that it will not happen, and Stock will still allow DOT R-compounds. To do anything now would be premature.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Brigdh posted:

Err, maybe I've confused you.

Hankook is saying that the RS-3 initially tested as at 200 TW tire. For some reason they marked it as a 140 TW tire. I'm saying this is ok, because all they are doing is advertising that the tire wears faster than it actually does.

Now, Hankook wants to label it as 200 TW. I have no problem with this, assuming that it still tests as a 200 TW tire.

The problem would be if the tire tests as 140, and Hankook labels it as 200. Now Hankook is effectively deceiving consumers through false advertising by saying the tire will last longer than it actually will (assuming some standard conditions).

I'm curious, why did Hankook label it as 140 in the first place? It seems odd that some club would mandate exactly 140, and not a minimum of 140...

Your right. I must have read wrong, been locked up in a study vault for weeks. Dont think right any more. If I had to speculate I would say its was for advertising perposes. People would think lower TW means more grip and therefore better for racing. No one who is in the market for 140TW-200TW tires is really expecting much life out of them so I doubt it hurt them on the people not buying due to longevity reasons.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Brigdh posted:

Marketing. Lower TW = softer = stickier. It's not necessarily true, and the people buying RS3s don't exactly care about longevity.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Went to the local autocross for the first time and was blown away by how many kickass cars showed up. Definitely running my (terrible) car in the next one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d34fU-qorQg

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Went to the local autocross for the first time and was blown away by how many kickass cars showed up. Definitely running my (terrible) car in the next one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d34fU-qorQg

Oversteering the hell out of a CRX ... howww

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Oversteering the hell out of a CRX ... howww

Go in fast and lift, it ain't hard. Also that one appears to have a pretty modified suspension so it's probably set up to oversteer as well.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Go in fast and lift, it ain't hard. Also that one appears to have a pretty modified suspension so it's probably set up to oversteer as well.

Protip: An iPhone with heavy duty Velcro stuck to the front bumper gets awesome video.

Second protip: Don't directly hit the camera with a cone while recovering a slide.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Annnd here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9jFvdF2JOM

I demolished the camera on the last run of the day screwing around, here's one where it actually survives:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaglvHWqBnI

It still works, just a little banged up. Need a tethering system for next time.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 7, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
He's right, you know.

Exciting angle though, sounds great.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah it does. It's not often you can hear the throttle plate opening and closing.

God I love Honda intake noise. :flashfap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Devens only has one course configuration :/.

• Locked thread