Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

A Steampunk Gent posted:

And at the end of one of his many dazzling lute solos, everyone literally stands up and claps :shepface:

I was okay with your post up til here. What's so wrong about people applauding a musical performance? Especially because the scene in question takes place in a tavern specifically for musical performers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Rothfuss is an awful goony-rear end author and him being involved with the project significantly dampens my enthusiasm for the game. Name of the Wind is 800 pages of his mary sue omni-talented protagonist bootstrapping his way from street orphan to literally the most important dude in the world with nothing more than his brilliant mind, dashing good looks, prodigal lute playing skills and the power of Logic. His women are also either mysterious unknowable creatures or mother figures. And at the end of one of his many dazzling lute solos, everyone literally stands up and claps :shepface:

loving yikes!

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Is that one guy's 100,000 dollars included in the kickstarter amount or no? Cause we already have that epilogue if not.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

jivjov posted:

I was okay with your post up til here. What's so wrong about people applauding a musical performance? Especially because the scene in question takes place in a tavern specifically for musical performers.

On it's own it doesn't seem so bad I guess, but in the context of story being 'would you believe how amazing this guy? because he's about to get a whole lot more amazing!' it just comes off as a classic shitthatdidnthappen story.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

A Steampunk Gent posted:

On it's own it doesn't seem so bad I guess, but in the context of story being 'would you believe how amazing this guy? because he's about to get a whole lot more amazing!' it just comes off as a classic shitthatdidnthappen story.
He is an unreliable narrator. Sadly I don't think the actual author knows that.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
I'm wanting that 3.1mill mark. Ive never read Rothfuss so I have no opinion on him.

If they wanted to push the edge of scifi-advanced-to-"may as well be magic" they could look into Hannu Rajaniemi, Chris Moriarty, Stephen Baxter, or Charles Stross (billion years? Accelerando!) or even some of the culture benders like Gilman (Halfway Human) or Cherryh (The Faded Sun, etc...).

There was also some novel I read years ago where a non-catastrophic grey goo (by way of terraforming I think) scenario was the backdrop and figuring out how to interact with this planetary ocean of the self-balancing nano-biome-ai was part of the plot but I cant remember the name.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
I cant figure out that title but I did find this, figured I would post it for general interests sake:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/table/2011/may/26/best-science-fiction-books-recommendations

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Rothfuss is an awful goony-rear end author and him being involved with the project significantly dampens my enthusiasm for the game. Name of the Wind is 800 pages of his mary sue omni-talented protagonist bootstrapping his way from street orphan to literally the most important dude in the world with nothing more than his brilliant mind, dashing good looks, prodigal lute playing skills and the power of Logic. His women are also either mysterious unknowable creatures or mother figures. And at the end of one of his many dazzling lute solos, everyone literally stands up and claps :shepface:
According to his blog, we are talking an involvement along the lines of 10.000 words plus assorted collaboration. PS:T runs an estimated 800.000 words. I'm guessing the upshot will be, at worst, that you won't like one of the companions.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

FRINGE posted:

I'm wanting that 3.1mill mark. Ive never read Rothfuss so I have no opinion on him.
Personally I enjoy the hell out of his books. They're really fun and well written (style wise) but are the pinnacle of gooniness. He unironically has female sex ninjas in it.

Watching that interview and hearing him go off about people peeing on a schedule in Far Cry and how that ruins his immersion is hilarious.

Edit: maybe a bit off topic but there's more humor while the Penny Arcade guy is talking about how in Assassins Creed we need the guards to forget the random murders and don't want him opening a file and tracking the murders because it would impede gameplay......I actually thinks that sounds awesome I'd love it if those types of games reacted that way.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 21, 2013

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Is that one guy's 100,000 dollars included in the kickstarter amount or no? Cause we already have that epilogue if not.

His $100k isn't included in the current total, neither is Fargo's $100k. So, we're actually looking at about $3 million right now.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Great Rumbler posted:

His $100k isn't included in the current total, neither is Fargo's $100k. So, we're actually looking at about $3 million right now.
More to the point, they also won't count towards stretchgoals. They are treating them as bonus money as insurance against retracted/lowered pledges and such. So we are still at 2.8M + whatever they have in PayPal.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

GhostBoy posted:

More to the point, they also won't count towards stretchgoals. They are treating them as bonus money as insurance against retracted/lowered pledges and such. So we are still at 2.8M + whatever they have in PayPal.

Ah, yeah, that's right.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

01011001 posted:

https://soundcloud.com/kirkhamilton/torment-tides-of-numenera-the

And for those who prefer not to give Kotaku hits. :v:

Very cool stuff, though. Can't wait to see what kind of area this gets placed over.

This is extremely good stuff. While I was sort of interested in the project before, this has me excited to see/hear more.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

A Steampunk Gent posted:

mary sue omni-talented protagonist bootstrapping his way from street orphan to literally the most important dude in the world with nothing more than his brilliant mind, dashing good looks, prodigal lute playing skills and the power of Logic. His women are also either mysterious unknowable creatures or mother figures. And at the end of one of his many dazzling lute solos, everyone literally stands up and claps :shepface:
Sounds exactly like the original Planescape: Torment, to me.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

coyo7e posted:

Sounds about right, yeah.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Charisma at 14, what a scrub.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I thought the context was, 'Here is how awesome I was. Are you writing this down? Okay, here's some more about how awesome I was. Make sure to spell my name correctly, by the way.' However I think we're in agreement about how it all sounds. I might end up being wrong about it in the end, but so far I've assumed that from the way the story is framed, the main character is just a self-agrandizing egomaniac, and we only have his word to go by about whether any of this really happened the way he describes.

Daler Mehndi fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 21, 2013

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Whilst I can't say you're wrong, Planescape's story simply wouldn't have worked without a genius protagonist, The Name of the Wind's plot is basically 'this is the only dude bad enough to save the world!' It's weird-rear end metaphysics and ontology viewed through the perspective of profoundly perceptive cipher vs an adolescent power fantasy about a wicked cool dude.

Daler Mehndi posted:

Charisma at 14, what a scrub.

I thought the context was, 'Here is how awesome I was. Are you writing this down? Okay, here's some more about how awesome I was. Make sure to spell my name correctly, by the way.' However I think we're in agreement about how it all sounds. I might end up being wrong about it in the end, but so far I've assumed that from the way the story is framed, the main character is just a self-agrandizing egomaniac, and we only have his word to go by about whether any of this really happened the way he describes.

I didn't really pick up anything like that in the first book and I haven't read the second, but other authors have fitted far more plot and character development in far fewer words before, if that's what Rothfuss is going for, he had plenty if time to suggest it in the first 800 pages.

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 21, 2013

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
God, I hope the $3.5 million goal is to not have Rothfuss write for ToN. The Name of the Wind had its problems but it's a decent book as genre fiction goes. The Wise Man's Fear, on the other hand, has a hundred pages of how the teenage protagonist seduces a sex goddess.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

coffeetable posted:

God, I hope the $3.5 million goal is to not have Rothfuss write for ToN. The Name of the Wind had its problems but it's a decent book as genre fiction goes. The Wise Man's Fear, on the other hand, has a hundred pages of how the teenage protagonist seduces a sex goddess.
That's going to be what the Castoff's Labyrinth is all about. Every time you die you have to impress a goddess with your mad lute and bedroom skills until she sets you free with some magic trinket that she made you just because you're so cool.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Whilst I can't say you're wrong, Planescape's story simply wouldn't have worked without a genius protagonist, The Name of the Wind's plot is basically 'this is the only dude bad enough to save the world!' It's weird-rear end metaphysics and ontology viewed through the perspective of profoundly perceptive cipher vs an adolescent power fantasy about a wicked cool dude.
And plus it makes sense narrative-wise that TNO is a genius because he's lived countless life-times, he's not some normal person that the universe bends over backwards for just because.

But yeah having Ziets and Mitsoda is really great, but getting any old fantasy author is pretty dodgy considering the fantasy genre is mostly poo poo.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 21, 2013

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Accordion Man posted:

the fantasy genre is mostly poo poo.
Theres great stories out there you just have to find them. Start in on Glen Cook if you havent tried his stuff yet. The Black Company, The Dread Empire, and Instrumentalities of the Night are all worth attempting. (Some people love one and hate the others, but generally no one dismisses his work.)

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Accordion Man posted:

the fantasy genre is mostly poo poo.

I guess good for you that you are so much better than reading any of that "fantasy" crap? ;)

I personally love the Rothfuss books, I think the writing is really fun and sucks you in. I am really pleased to have him as a stretch goal and pretty excited about it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

FRINGE posted:

Theres great stories out there you just have to find them. Start in on Glen Cook if you havent tried his stuff yet. The Black Company, The Dread Empire, and Instrumentalities of the Night are all worth attempting. (Some people love one and hate the others, but generally no one dismisses his work.)

And the Black Company was one of the main inspirations for the Malazan books by Steven Erikson, which should also be on the reading list of anyone looking for good fantasy.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

King Burgundy posted:

I guess good for you that you are so much better than reading any of that "fantasy" crap? ;)
I'm not trying to be an elitist and I admit I'm not all knowledgeable about fantasy novels but it's that just like comic books and video games they seem to attract the gooniest of goons so you can have some really bad stuff filled to the brim with the author's sexual fetishes. I'm just a bit wary because video games need better storytelling and I don't want them to screw it up all the potentially great stuff they got going here. I would be glad to have my worries be proven wrong though.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The Name of the Wind's plot is basically 'this is the only dude bad enough to save the world!'

It's been a while since I read it, but I'm pretty sure the plot of Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear are "only this dude is bad enough to save the world and he hosed it up and has PTSD now".

quote:

I didn't really pick up anything like that in the first book

The very first chapter (IIRC) is a guy coming up to Kvothe in his retirement and twisting his arm until Kvothe starts telling his own story. The entire story is either taking place with an omniscient narrator in the present at the inn, or with Kvothe narrating his own deeds in the past.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 21, 2013

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Accordion Man posted:

I'm not trying to be an elitist and I admit I'm not all knowledgeable about fantasy novels but it's that just like comic books and video games they seem to attract the gooniest of goons so you can have some really bad stuff filled to the brim with the author's sexual fetishes. I'm just a bit wary because video games need better storytelling and I don't want them to screw it up all the potentially great stuff they got going here.

Wait, someone who is into chatty storytelling videogames like Planescape: Torment is actually deriding comic book and fantasy novel fans? Wow.

Luckily, as a guy into serious pursuits like cartography as applied to the Star Trek universe, you are all laughably nerdy to me :smug:

But seriously, I read a bit of Name of the Wind and it was lots of fun. This seems to me a case of the typical "He's too popular now" backlash here.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Mex posted:

Wait, someone who is into chatty storytelling videogames like Planescape: Torment is actually deriding comic book and fantasy novel fans? Wow.

Luckily, as a guy into serious pursuits like cartography as applied to the Star Trek universe, you are all laughably nerdy to me :smug:

But seriously, I read a bit of Name of the Wind and it was lots of fun. This seems to me a case of the typical "He's too popular now" backlash here.

Name of the Wind is a pretty fun book that has more than a few issues (chief among them that fuckin' love interest, goddamn).
The sequel gets a little, uh, worse. Like, "the teenage protagonist totally makes it with a love goddess who teaches him Sex Special Moves, and then he goes to Japan to learn to be a ninja and uses his special sex moves on his sexy lady-ninjas including his teacher" worse.

I read a lot of fantasy but the genre has a LOT of poo poo. I don't know that it's more poo poo than any other genre, though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Zurai posted:

It's been a while since I read it, but I'm pretty sure the plot of Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear are "only this dude is bad enough to save the world and he hosed it up and has PTSD now".

Then I guess you didn't actually read it at all because the very first chapter is a guy coming up to Kvothe in his retirement and twisting his arm until Kvothe starts telling his own story. The entire story is either taking place with an omniscient narrator in the present at the inn, or with Kvothe narrating his own deeds in the past.

Kvothe still did all that ridiculous stuff though and most of the book is about his past, and I kinda assumed the current day section was a build up to Kvothe getting back in the game. And I did read the book, up until the section where the book casually introduces a dragon for Kvothe to kill for no reason, decided to call it a day then. Anyway, don't wanna cause a huge derail about A Fantasy Author I Don't Like, so I'll leave the subject now.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

jivjov posted:

It's not 'they applaud his performance' so much as 'his performance is so amazingly outstanding, the most jaded and hardcore audience in this world is wrecked to tears and he gets The Performance Medal Nobody Gets, Ever.' Because not only is he a master swordsman, prodigy archmage, and rock and roll lutist, he also has loving so supreme his magical cock moves literal goddesses to swoon over him.

I could take the Mary Sue to 11 factor a little better if Rothfuss showed any sign of ever resolving any plot point, but I stuck with Wheel of Time through book 8 and I'm not getting caught out on that poo poo a second time.

He's a competent prose stylist, props where due -- plotting and characterization are where my major beefs lie.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Nice to see Torment getting a little uptick in contributions over the last couple of days. More stretch goals + AMA making a bit of difference, maybe?

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:

Megazver posted:

Don't know about his posting habits but he *is* a little goony. In an okay way.

http://youtu.be/1PtFlcZome4?t=38m39s

Secret insight from the video: the second stretch goal will be for him to not write for Torment.

Sorry for the slightly offtopic question, but who is this Yahtzee guy/thing they keep mentioning in the video because i'm always open to good review/game info sites that aren't gamespot/ign (which i still check regardless but kind of annoy me most of the time).

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

uaciaut posted:

Sorry for the slightly offtopic question, but who is this Yahtzee guy/thing they keep mentioning in the video because i'm always open to good review/game info sites that aren't gamespot/ign (which i still check regardless but kind of annoy me most of the time).

He's a former goon who does amusing video reviews of computer games.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

uaciaut posted:

Hahaha. Okay:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I've read Rothfuss's first book in the Kingkillers thing; it wasn't bad, but I'm not interested or excited about him being involved. The book wasn't particularly meaningful or deep, but it was pretty fun. I hope he can translate writing for books over into writing for a game - I think it requires a different skill set.

Also, has Patrick Rothfuss ever submitted any writing project on time? I hope InXile pays him for content upon delivery instead of giving him a check upfront and asking him to push something out.

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I'd have thought the crossover between fantasy book readers and Torment fans would be much bigger, that Patrick Rothfuss would be a big and welcome addition. Interesting to see some backlash.

For me, people like Mur Lafferty and basically anyone except George Ziets don't mean much, I just know they're good writers and trust Brian Fargo in his taste for choosing them.

I'm aware of Patrick Rothfuss by his books and know he's a big nerd and a great writer, so I trust he'll do a great job.

I can't see how adding another great, popular, published, prize winning writer is reason to complain. Even if he wrote about sex ninjas some time, there's always the filter of the other game makers who I've no doubt would go "Ehh, no" for anything that is out of the Torment line.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Patrick Rothfuss has said before that Planescape: Torment is his favorite game, and he's a great writer even if at times the plot and Mary Sue nature of Kvothe had me shaking my head. I still enjoyed his books and I'm far from the only one. On Goodreads, The Name of the Wind has 94,544 ratings at an average of 4.56 out of 5 with The Wise Man's Fear having 62,486 and an average of 4.53 out of five. While that doesn't mean it's actually a good book, it was obviously enjoyable for a lot of people. He isn't the only one that will be writing or even close to writing the majority of it and I think that by the fact that he liked P:T so much, he could be a good fit. Additionally Rothfuss runs that monthly Storyboard Hangout, the next episode of which will be on April 2nd, 3 days before the Torment Kickstarter ends. A fantasy author that a lot of people have heard of could certainly bring enough backers who wouldn't normally participate and Torment could hit a stretch goal it wouldn't otherwise because of it.

edit: Rothfuss wrote about this himself before the Kickstarter announced him:
http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2013/03/concerning-games-torment-and-a-sense-of-play/

fermun fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 22, 2013

Dec 26, 2012

Mex posted:

I'd have thought the crossover between fantasy book readers and Torment fans would be much bigger, that Patrick Rothfuss would be a big and welcome addition. Interesting to see some backlash.

Why would he be given an unqualified welcome?

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl

fermun posted:

Patrick Rothfuss has said before that Planescape: Torment is his favorite game, and he's a great writer even if at times the plot and Mary Sue nature of Kvothe had me shaking my head. I still enjoyed his books and I'm far from the only one. On Goodreads, The Name of the Wind has 94,544 ratings at an average of 4.56 out of 5 with The Wise Man's Fear having 62,486 and an average of 4.53 out of five. While that doesn't mean it's actually a good book, it was obviously enjoyable for a lot of people. He isn't the only one that will be writing or even close to writing the majority of it and I think that by the fact that he liked P:T so much, he could be a good fit. Additionally Rothfuss runs that monthly Storyboard Hangout, the next episode of which will be on April 2nd, 3 days before the Torment Kickstarter ends. A fantasy author that a lot of people have heard of could certainly bring enough backers who wouldn't normally participate and Torment could hit a stretch goal it wouldn't otherwise because of it.

edit: Rothfuss wrote about this himself before the Kickstarter announced him:
http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2013/03/concerning-games-torment-and-a-sense-of-play/

Yeah, even this blog is fun to read. I like this guy's style, I'll finish reading his book someday : )

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Mex posted:

I can't see how adding another great, popular, published, prize winning writer is reason to complain. Even if he wrote about sex ninjas some time, there's always the filter of the other game makers who I've no doubt would go "Ehh, no" for anything that is out of the Torment line.

Yeah, I really doubt that they're just going to bring him in and let him write anything and everything he wants. He's likely going to be working within strict confines that have been laid out in advance, and he'll have story editors on the back end. So, there's no reason to think, even if you personally dislike what he writes, that he'll somehow "poison the well," as it were.

The main thing is to bring in more writers who can offer fresh perspective and new ideas for the entire team to bandy about, which I'm sure that Rothfuss is more than capable of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Great Rumbler posted:

Yeah, I really doubt that they're just going to bring him in and let him write anything and everything he wants. He's likely going to be working within strict confines that have been laid out in advance, and he'll have story editors on the back end. So, there's no reason to think, even if you personally dislike what he writes, that he'll somehow "poison the well," as it were.

The main thing is to bring in more writers who can offer fresh perspective and new ideas for the entire team to bandy about, which I'm sure that Rothfuss is more than capable of.

By his blog, it seems he will be writing dialogue trees and some character arcs. Dialogue trees are mentioned earlier in that blog post about it, while story arcs are mentioned near the end:

Patrick Rothfuss posted:

March 18th

I send Colin an e-mail. Then I decide to call him, instead because I know we’re getting down to the wire.

“Do you still want me?” I ask. “I know it’s kinda late.”

“We’d love to have you,” he said. “We can add you as a stretch goal.”

“How much writing are we talking about here?” I ask.

“Maybe 10,000 words,” Colin says. “More if you like. Less if you need it to be less.”

“Could I maybe help with some of the character arcs too?” I ask. “I’m pretty good with character. You could use me as a sounding board if nothing else, and ignore me if you think I’m being an idiot.”

“Um…. let me think,” Colin says sarcastically. I can hear the smile in his voice. “A chance to chat with you about stories and character development. I think the answer to that is…. yes. “

• Locked thread