Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Does the Slimer tweak in the OP still work with this version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the Undying input, guys. Downloading it now - not that I'd said no to a slow, creepy survival game but it was a misconception I needed cleared. :v:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I forgot how hard Duke 3D is in Come Get Some. One mistake and your health will go from 100 to 40ish while wearing armor. :stare:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

closeted republican posted:

I forgot how hard Duke 3D is in Come Get Some. One mistake and your health will go from 100 to 40ish while wearing armor. :stare:

All the Build-engine games are pretty bullshitty when it comes to difficulty, IMHO. Enemies tend to have very fast reactions, and either fast-moving projectiles or outright hitscan weapons. The space episode of Duke 3D just loved to drop those flying drone-bombs right in your face, giving you only a fraction of a second to react.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mill Village posted:

Does the Slimer tweak in the OP still work with this version?

It should, they had no reason to change the game's scripting language. It would just have gratuitously given them more work to do, without any upside.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life

Convex posted:

Yeah, if you have an Nvidia card then download Nvidia Inspector, create a new profile for the gam exe and limit it to 59fps.

Thanks, I also force disabled vsync. This definitely helps but there still seems to be... some kind of mouse acceleration thing going on or something of the sort.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Dominic White posted:

All the Build-engine games are pretty bullshitty when it comes to difficulty, IMHO. Enemies tend to have very fast reactions, and either fast-moving projectiles or outright hitscan weapons. The space episode of Duke 3D just loved to drop those flying drone-bombs right in your face, giving you only a fraction of a second to react.

gently caress Episode 2. The first few levels are filled to the brim with kamikaze robots. One door had 9 kamikaze robots just waiting for me on the other side, while another door had 2 robots blow up in my face as soon as I opened the door. It got the point where I just let them ram into me because trying to kill all of them was a complete waste of ammo and time.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

closeted republican posted:

gently caress Episode 2. The first few levels are filled to the brim with kamikaze robots. One door had 9 kamikaze robots just waiting for me on the other side, while another door had 2 robots blow up in my face as soon as I opened the door. It got the point where I just let them ram into me because trying to kill all of them was a complete waste of ammo and time.

I was about to make this same exact post. I just finished playing through episode one in eDuke with Polymer and got about 10 minutes into Episode 2 before remembering, "Oh right, these levels are poo poo."

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

It should, they had no reason to change the game's scripting language. It would just have gratuitously given them more work to do, without any upside.
Actually it won't work since that tweak uses Eduke32 code stuff - there's no way to modify the Slimer's code in standard Duke. You can just copy Eduke32 into the Megaton edition's directory though, infact one of the Eduke32 devs added it to the program's default directory list for Duke copies.

Are you guys playing without mouse-look? or with auto-run off? I've played far too much Duke because the game is really easy for me even on drat I'm good (if you blow up an enemies corpse, it won't come back on that skill level)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jblade posted:

(if you blow up an enemies corpse, it won't come back on that skill level)

How does that work? Restarting the level or something?

Also echoing the criticism of episode 2, it took out everything that made Duke fun in the first place. Also I can't think of a single enemy added to the retail version that I like.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Episodes 1 and 3 (LA Meltdown and Sharpnel city) of Duke3d are the best for me while Lunar Apocalypse and The Birth from Atomic edition weren't too hot. Sharpnel city has some great levels that squeeze the vertical map design for a non room-over-room game like L.A. Rumble (I loving love that map).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I think Episode 2 was one of the weaker parts of Duke3D, but it still had some pretty fun maps, like "Dark Side" and...well, basically that. It was definitely one of the harder parts of the game.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I used to have great fun playing E2M6 Tiberius Station over and over again in DN3D. It felt like a believable (space) structure to me I guess, and I loved being able to retreat to one of its bathrooms to drink from a broken toilet for five minutes when I got tore up.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Copper Vein posted:

I used to have great fun playing E2M6 Tiberius Station over and over again in DN3D. It felt like a believable (space) structure to me I guess, and I loved being able to retreat to one of its bathrooms to drink from a broken toilet for five minutes when I got tore up.

Admittedly, I used to run around a lot of the Episode 2 maps, as well. I loved the airlocks and trams and living quarters that a number of the maps had. When juxtaposed with most mid-90's FPS games, the Episode 2 maps felt unusually realistic and detailed.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I'm playing Doom 64 EX at the moment, it's pretty great. I played the absolution TC ages ago, but this seems a lot better. It has a lot more dynamic lighting (on items and such) and overall the lighting is a lot less bleached out. I never played the N64 version though so I'm not entirely clear on whether it's any more faithful than absolution or if absolution has any advantages over it.

Undying seems pretty good, although I have a horrible feeling of being lost and I think I probably missed a poo poo ton of secrets when I went down a dumbwaiter and out into the garden. The squid guys got reaaaally tiresome after I got out of the dream dimension though.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I'm playing Doom 64 EX at the moment, it's pretty great. I played the absolution TC ages ago, but this seems a lot better. It has a lot more dynamic lighting (on items and such) and overall the lighting is a lot less bleached out. I never played the N64 version though so I'm not entirely clear on whether it's any more faithful than absolution or if absolution has any advantages over it.

64EX is literally the N64 version running on a ZDoom-style source port. The only thing that would be more authentic would be running the ROM straight through an emulator, and that'd lose you all the perks of running on PC.

The guy behind it is now working on a similar source-port of Turok.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Dominic White posted:

Holy loving poo poo are you serious? :aaa:

Can I get more info on this?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

Holy loving poo poo are you serious? :aaa:

Can I get more info on this?

It's right there on the site.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Kaiser the Doom64 EX guy posted:

I am aware of the PC version, in fact, most of the disassembly is based on the PC version. The reason why I am still doing this is because the original PC version was a pretty bad port on top of limited options and a horribly outdated directx renderer.

The goal of this is to recreate the game using a better engine more suited to modern hardware, support mods, and co-op games.
He's re-porting a game that was already ported to the PC. Pretty drat awesome.

How is he able to do this at all? I assume the source code for Doom64 and Turok were never released. What's stopping someone from disassembling Blood?

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Copper Vein posted:

He's re-porting a game that was already ported to the PC. Pretty drat awesome.

How is he able to do this at all? I assume the source code for Doom64 and Turok were never released. What's stopping someone from disassembling Blood?

Someone is working on a similar thing for Blood, alongside the insane task of doing the same thing with Daggerfall, Outlaws, and more.

tips
Feb 16, 2011

Dominic White posted:

He knows that Unreal exists, right? :wtc:

I tried the pc port a few months ago and instantly remembered why everyone just entered the all weapons code and hosed around after 20 minutes.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Dominic White posted:

64EX is literally the N64 version running on a ZDoom-style source port. The only thing that would be more authentic would be running the ROM straight through an emulator, and that'd lose you all the perks of running on PC.

That's awesome. I've never played Turok.

I dunno how I managed to miss this thread, but I'm an old school FPS fan and recently I've been playing a bunch of them bit by bit, they're nice cause you can just drop in and have a good time you don't have to spend too long watching cutscenes or worry about story.

Apart from Hexen. I do not like Hexen.

Heretic was my first ever FPS. It was awesome. My parents let me play it and not doom because doom had real guns and you shot people in it. The closest heretic got to people was yellow michelin men full of ghosts. But Heretic was and is pretty great, nostalgia aside.

Naturally I was just super jazzed when my dad got Hexen. It was like Heretic, but it had all this crazy new poo poo. Open world! New monsters! Three roided up todd mcfarlane badasses to choose from! Powerups out the rear end!

I thought it was awesome at the time, mostly cause I just cheated and warped around the levels, but playing it again now, all that stuff is the reason it sucks.

Hexen is not gritty, it is just ugly. Quake gets poo poo for being brown. Brown is a feature Quake lifted shamelessly from Hexen and ruined with the occassioanl brightly lit section. Hexen is muddy, foggy, dim, not even as interesting as dark. When I was a kid I found the game a little unsettling, I thought this was because of the scarier monsters and hanging corpses, but no. The game was just giving me seasonal depression. The art style is like something a van-airbrusher or metal album cover artist did in their off time using the colours they had left after they had used up all the colours that make people feel excitement.

The class system sucks too. More choice! More playstyles! No. 4 weapons per playthrough. gently caress you. And if the repetition of using 1 or 2 weapons all the time wasn't bad enough, those weapons suck.

The fighter's weapons suck. He doesn't get a ranged weapon till episode 2, so his extra health is offset by all the getting hit in the face he does. That ranged weapon being the hammer bros hammer from mario. Which I guess is cool. His ultimate weapon is a sword. A sword that you aren't even allowed to hit people with. It shoots green poo poo in a big wave, I guess because it's magic.

The mage's default grandma brooch is his best weapon, which means you'll spend ages plinking away with the most boring effect in history. His ultimate incorporates the exciting design elements of redness and skulls but its main power is using all your mana to shoot stupid fire grappling hooks into the wall either side of your enemy.

The cleric gets the best weapons, but they make no sense. A snake staff? I've not been to church many times but I've seen at least half of Witchfinder General and there was no snake staff in that. And Witchfinder General was awesome. His second weapon is I guess a spell the mage didn't really want. It doesn't even shoot holy beams out. Just basic fire. His ultimate is extremely rad however because it is a heavy metal crucifix that shoots ghosts. Angry ghosts with a lust for wrecking dudes. Sometimes they even turn around and wreck you. But you will never get to use it because it uses too much mana.

The hub system is terrible. Maybe it's just me. Maybe at the time there were a hell of a lot of dudes writing in to Raven saying "Heretic was AWESOME but what would really kick it OFF THE CHAIN (it was the 90s) is if you had to revisit each level three times to unlock one extra room with 3 imps in and a switch you will not see.". But that's what most of the game is. They don't even tell you what the switches have unlocked. You just have to blunder about. The levels are poo poo too. Nobody wants to go to a cave once, never mind three times. It's not even a cool cave with like, lava and skeletons and a hidden demon temple. It's just a regular cave. The monsters all wear northface clothes and want to talk to you about stalactites and quartz.

I guess to themeatically mirror the weapons, the enemies are poo poo too. There are like 5 of them and at least three of them are lifted from Heretic and made less fun. I guess they still had some lovely mechanics left over after they were done converting the Heretic monsters so the main other new monster is a fleshy centaur looking thing that blocks for like 2 seconds straight every time you hit them. It takes two hits to kill them of almost any weapon, so killing them is like being a cashier waiting for a senior citizen to find something in their purse then put it away again. There are 100 of them in every level and they all queue up behind the one that is currently wasting your time. Again like old people at a checkout.

That is the whole game. Killing inconvenient, boring enemies with inconvenient, boring weapons to find a switch nobody gives a gently caress about.

This post came out way spergier than intended so I guess i'll be chased out of here being whipped with model trains, but seriously gently caress Hexen.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I've never played Hexen but I loved that post.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The hub system is terrible. Maybe it's just me. Maybe at the time there were a hell of a lot of dudes writing in to Raven saying "Heretic was AWESOME but what would really kick it OFF THE CHAIN (it was the 90s) is if you had to revisit each level three times to unlock one extra room with 3 imps in and a switch you will not see.". But that's what most of the game is. They don't even tell you what the switches have unlocked. You just have to blunder about. The levels are poo poo too. Nobody wants to go to a cave once, never mind three times. It's not even a cool cave with like, lava and skeletons and a hidden demon temple. It's just a regular cave. The monsters all wear northface clothes and want to talk to you about stalactites and quartz.
This is why I dislike Hexen. At least it provided a nice scripting system for ZDoom to build off, but drat, that puzzle design was just plain bad.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

While I agree that Hexen was a bit of a mess design-wise, the Serpent: Resurrection mod fleshes out the concept a ton and manages to be the FPS/ARPG hybrid that I get the feeling Hexen always wanted to be. Needs a beefy CPU though - the maps are enormous by ZDoom standards.

It says it's 25 maps, but it doesn't mention that the 'overworld' hub levels are about the size of a dozen normal Hexen maps.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I wish that the Stream release of Duke 3D would have included the PSX version exclusive levels. That would have been something special.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 22, 2013

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

I um, was Hexen II any better? I remember TRYING and just getting lost after a little while since I assumed I missed some important hint that was in the (nonexistent due to steam) manual.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Great Hexen rant that is true.

Can we be friends? gently caress Hexen.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

xanthan posted:

I um, was Hexen II any better?

Nope. It managed to be most of the things bad about Hexen while introducing most of the things wrong with Quake 1.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I can forgive a lot of Hexen's flaws, but the hub design just kills it all. The combat, could be better, could have more weapons, but I can enjoy it, but the loving hubs!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I do not like Hexen.

This is a pretty fantastic, right-on-the-money post. I find myself trying time and time again to play through Hexen and just losing interest during the second episode. I guess my problem is that I really, really like the ideas that made Hexen, but the game itself is just awful.

There's so much they could have done with the classes and the magic and the weapons and the hub worlds and it all came out pretty lovely.

The Early FPS Megathread: but seriously gently caress Hexen.

Dominic White posted:

While I agree that Hexen was a bit of a mess design-wise, the Serpent: Resurrection mod fleshes out the concept a ton and manages to be the FPS/ARPG hybrid that I get the feeling Hexen always wanted to be. Needs a beefy CPU though - the maps are enormous by ZDoom standards.

It says it's 25 maps, but it doesn't mention that the 'overworld' hub levels are about the size of a dozen normal Hexen maps.

Thanks for this. I always kind of wanted to play something that took the ideas incorporated into Hexen and made them into an actual playable game.

Dominic White posted:

Nope. It managed to be most of the things bad about Hexen while introducing most of the things wrong with Quake 1.

What about Heretic 2, then? I didn't even know they made a Heretic 2 until just a few days ago.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mak0rz posted:

What about Heretic 2, then? I didn't even know they made a Heretic 2 until just a few days ago.

I played the demo and a bit of the full game. It's a third person game, but I thought it was pretty fun. It's a shame it's not on Steam, though. I have no idea how it will work on a modern computer, either.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Wait hold up I knew there was something I forgot to talk about:

Hexen's powerups. They are bad.

A lot of them are from Heretic. Heretic was a good game. Being able to hold on to powerups to use later was cool. Most of them were just the powerups from doom reskinned, but the real deal was the Tome of Power. The Tome of Power was cool as hell. It made whatever weapon massively powerful and changed what it did, it was like a berserk pack for every weapon. The kickass skull plasma rifle started firing red rain clouds that killed whatever was under it. The gold rocket launcher bird stick became a flamethrower. It made every weapon into two weapons and that was really awesome.

What could Hexen, with its 4 weapons per character, really use? Something that could effectively double that weapon count?

Nope. More Quartz Flasks. Quartz Flasks are purple flasks that give you health. Pretty useful yeah. They weren't that common in Heretic but in Hexen you can get like 40 of them no problem. I guess they had to cause the hub design meant they couldn't do regular health pickups cause you'd get them all when you first went through the lovely level, then be hosed when you went back to and a room full of bullet hell wizards or green versions of that devil guy from spawn opened up. But with quartz flasks you could just hammer enter and your dude would chug five and you could just heal through the barrage while backing down an extremely narrow corridor that makes it impossible to dodge projectiles. Making gently caress you traps more survivable means you can use more of them instead of appealing, fair level design elements.

The other main thing was flechettes. Now in the real world a flechette is kind of a dart thing, but in Hexen they are bottles of green poo poo. They work differently for each class. The fighter uses them as extremely bouncy grenades that bounce off scenery and explode on his own face, the mage uses them as the timebomb from Heretic, and the cleric has them explode into a gas cloud. This gas cloud is great because it traps enemies in pain animations and lasts forever, so you can trap the annoying centaurs and spend 20 seconds watching them die while machinegun grunting. If you trap a couple of them in a cloud anyone passing will think your computer has locked up while you were watching gay porn.

Then there was some kind of gold coaster that moved every monster back 3 feet, another thing that teleported you back to the start of the level because I guess even the designers realised that backtracking is boring as gently caress. Also boots of speed that made you move so fast you fell off a ledge, a pig version of the chicken-polymorph egg from heretic, and a small statue of a minotaur that you throw out and it stays as a small statue of a minotaur. Sometimes it will turn into an extremely unhelpful minotaur that kills enemies much slower than you would and also hits you with friendly fire.

gently caress Hexen's powerups.

edit: i cant spell

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 22, 2013

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I last played Hexen about fifteen years ago and I hadn't remembered all the things that annoyed me about it until those marvelous posts, so gently caress you, you awesomely eloquent person.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Then there was some kind of gold coaster that moved every monster back 3 feet
Much farther than three feet. I fell in love with this powerup when visiting some map which has a bunch of centaurs standing near a bottomless precipice. "Hey, you annoying invulnerable fuckers, how about a free trip to the bottom? BZZOING! *spl-spl-splorch*"

Hexen should have had a couple normal maps to make you hate the centaurs, and then 30 levels of pushing centaurs to their cratery doom, and it would have been awesome.

I mean, I actually like Hexen, but all that was said about its weaknesses is true. Annoying monsters (invulnerable centaurs, peek-a-boo things from the black lagoon, invulnerable heresiarch), not enough mana to use the more interesting weapons more often, over-reliance on switch puzzles, etc.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

I can always do with as reminder that I am literally the only person I know that loves Hexen.

I can understand why, though. I wrote a post way back on ZDoom cementing my thoughts on the matter.

quote:

I love HeXen to death. The atmosphere. The enemies. The weapons. The lore. I love love love HeXen. It's an incredible game with incredible promise. Made my first published mod for HeXen, and I'm really eager to make another character for it because I loving love HeXen that much.
The default maps do not do it justice.

The first big problem with HeXen is that you get thrown into an action-packed and badass scenario right out of the gate. You're thrown into a cathedral-looking place where lightning flashes in the background dramatically, where it's just you and a crushing melee weapon against the endless scores of mutated hellish beasts. You charge straight ahead, following a very linear path and leaving an endless series of bloody critters in your wake, going through interesting set pieces (breaking through cathedral windows, dodging moving crushers, ringing a gothic bell to open up a gaseous portal), and it ends with a giant loving flaming skull asking if you're ready to die. Winnowing Hall rates easily among my top favorite introduction levels in any games, because every part of the level gives you a sensation of being a badass warrior straight off a heavy metal album cover.
...And absolutely no other part of the game is like it.
Seven Portal's puzzles are incredibly obtuse, Shadow Wood is downright mazelike, and lengthy encounters with enemies are very few and far in between. It's really quite upsetting that you never get to march through gothic locales while waves of enemies fight you off again until the Heresiarch's Seminary. Deathkings of the Dark Citadel is hilariously obscene in this regard.

The second big problem is its reliance on puzzles, as has been pointed out before. While the puzzles are easily a key part in cementing a mysterious world, as the player will constantly be questioned and need to think his way around obstacles rather than simply kill kill kill, the problem is that HeXen's "puzzles" aren't so much puzzles as they are put Point A in Slot B in Area C for Effect D. Deathkings of the Dark Citadel had an especially bullshit part where you were put in a spider-icon'd crushing room and had to Use a specific grave before you died. Use the wrong grave and you died anyway. There were eight graves. That is not a puzzle. That is random luck.
The Hub system can be done extremely well, as more than several mods have put it to excellent use, and puzzles can more than definitely spice up a level. Still, it could have been executed a lot better than it was--I think it would have been far better as a Legend of Zelda-esque system with a ruined gothic overworld and multiple dungeons. Save the exploring and wandering for the overworld, and pack the crypts and caverns full of action and puzzles.
Hell, why not completely rip off Zelda and give a new weapon every dungeon, too? Just for laughs.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

Is there a certain place I need to put that command in the con files? I tried doing it with Nuclear Winter (in 'nwinter.con and nwactor.con), but the game would not start up. There are also no con files for the Duke 3D and the other TCs.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Guys it's pitch black outside and I'm being a big baby because I can't bring myself to play Undying now even though the main guy has a devilishly attractive voice. :ohdear:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

For those thinking of trying Serpent: Resurrection, here's some advice:

Skip the starting city. Open the console and use 'give gold 300', hit the stores for some basic armor, potions, etc, then jump on board the ship. You can earn some trifling XP hunting thieves in the city and a few coins doing work/minigames in the city, but it's shameless padding.

Once you at the first overworld hub level, you're practically unarmed. Your first ranged/magical weapon is in a hut somewhere on the island, but you need to find the key for it. Don't even try going into any of the surrounding levels until you've scouted the entire area. Once you've got a better weapon, the monsters in the overworld should be a cakewalk.

From there, it's like Hexen but on a much larger scale and with less arbitrary bullshit, and far better weapons. I'd recommend either playing as the cleric or wizard so you get access to the spell system, too. There's a lot of spells to cast. There's a bit of a slow buildup, but once you're past the first act (the end-of-act-1 boss is tough as nails, but fun), you'll be blasting magic weapons all over.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Hahaha. I should have read your post first. Booted it up, went down to the docks, spent 15 minutes haphazardly trying to push barrels onto a ship, until one got stuck between a mooring and a floor torch, then I fell off the dock, then I got told I failed the job when I went back. gently caress that.