Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

renzor
Jul 28, 2004

...I still get the ham, right? Good.
I'm hoping maybe someone here could help me with this...

Last spring, I went into Wireless Wave / Glentel to pick up a new Fido phone as I'd lost mine. I was ready to pay full retail, however the rep(manager) told me I could switch over to Rogers and have my cancellation fees waived. I explained to him that I had utilized the early cancellation waiver by switching from Rogers to Fido a year and a bit prior. He insisted I could do it, so I made him call Fido to confirm. I listened to him explain my situation to FIDO, as well as talked to the rep myself to make sure that although I had switched over a year prior, I was still eligible for the waiving of fees. They gave me a ID# to cite in case FIDO decided to charge me cancellation fees.

A few months pass and my final statement from FIDO has the fees waived so I think I'm in the clear. My employer accidentally paid a couple months worth of bills to my old FIDO account rather than my new Rogers account. I phoned FIDO to inform them and said the cheque was on the way. This went on from late spring and over the summer. Several phone calls and no cheque later, I phoned again and asked to speak to a level 2 rep. The level 2 rep informed me that I was ineligible for the waiver of fees and that I owe FIDO almost $500. She wouldn't even take the ID# from the original transaction I had saying that the rep who gave me it obviously was not authorized to do so. About a week after the conversation and being informed I owe a whole mess of money, they began calling me 3x a day to try and collect (after no attempts at contact since cancelling in the Spring) I went back to the store where I did the switch and talked to the manager. After speaking to him, FIDO stopped calling me, but I still have yet to receive a cheque.

I've did that Office of the President form on the website a few weeks back but have not heard anything. Is there anything else I can do to try and get my owed balance sent to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
^ God, what a loving nightmare. I don't have anything to offer but my commiserations and hopefully it'll be sorted soon. The cellular silliness in this country is insane.

renzor
Jul 28, 2004

Haha yea, even the low level reps I've spoken to are extremely sympathetic.

I noticed that complaints commission link on the front page of this thread so I filed a complaint last night. Hopefully that works!

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Holy poo poo that is terrible, good luck I hope you get that taken care of

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
I really hate Wireless Wave sometimes. Ten bucks says the manager there was trying to switch you over since it would count as a new activation for his store which is considered valuable, rather than selling you a new phone outright, which is considered worthless. I guess he had no way of knowing that this would happen after the fact but yeah that sucks. I don't think anyone in this thread really has any ideas you haven't tried already. Hopefully that complaints thing works, it'd be nice to know if that route actually goes anywhere. Good luck.

renzor
Jul 28, 2004

Yea I understand the manager's desire to sign a new contract rather than sell a phone, hence why I made him call FIDO and confirm with someone that this was possible. I even spoke to them and they gave me a reference number to avoid this exact situation. Uggghhhh.

And in the manager's defence, he's made a ton of phone calls on my behalf to try and get this sorted.

renzor fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 5, 2013

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I've had luck making a CCTS complaint in the past. You might give it a shot.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Maybe try seeing if your local TV consumer reporter could try to help?! It'd be a longshot but it might be worth it.

Justaddwater
Jul 4, 2006

Koodo brought back their kickass holiday plans. The $60 used to cost $56 but hey its still not bad.

If you don't want to use the Tab you can get 10% off.

renzor
Jul 28, 2004

^ Because of my FIDO nightmare I bought out the remainder of my Rogers contract and have been on KOODO since. Can't say enough good things about them.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Hmm I have the original Canada-Wide Super 6GB. I wonder if I can dump my positive tab and get the 10% off instead.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Thanks for posting that info sheet, used it to wrangle a better plan out of Fido.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Justaddwater posted:

Koodo brought back their kickass holiday plans. The $60 used to cost $56 but hey its still not bad.

If you don't want to use the Tab you can get 10% off.

Thanks for posting this. The girlfriend comes off contract with Telus in 20 days or so and plans to switch to Koodo. (well, sorta switch I guess) I'll show her that chart tonight.

Is that likely to be a limited time deal? Are there any switching incentives she should ask about? She'll be getting an iPhone 5 with a tab.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Cue Fido and Virgin match in 3.... 2.....

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm having a weird problem with my Motorola Defy XT smartphone on Sasktel - I can send about one text message per day, then it stops being able to send. Everything else - receiving text, voice calls, voice mail, data, etc. - all works fine.

Does anybody know anything about Sasktel's SMS service?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Gah, every person who has shown interest in buying my Nexus 4 backs out in the last minute.

(And I do make it clear from the beginning that the screen is cracked and needs replacing. )

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Does anyone know of a service that will give me a virtual phone number which will forward calls and texts? All the ones I've found so far are calls-only.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Trillian posted:

Does anyone know of a service that will give me a virtual phone number which will forward calls and texts? All the ones I've found so far are calls-only.

I don't think any of these exist in Canada.

Yes, thank the CRTC for that.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

I'm having a weird problem with my Motorola Defy XT smartphone on Sasktel - I can send about one text message per day, then it stops being able to send. Everything else - receiving text, voice calls, voice mail, data, etc. - all works fine.

Does anybody know anything about Sasktel's SMS service?

Sounds like it could be a device issue but after seeing SaskTel SMS first hand it'd be hard to say. Call their Tech Support team, they're actually surprisingly helpful/knowledgeable... for the most part.

Speaking of SaskTel, I convinced my work to give me a SaskTel SIM card for... demo purposes [aka tablet]. Horay LTE! Rogers has it too I guess but I don't get it in my apartment and Bell/Telus 4G is slow as poo poo, probably due to saturation with SaskTel network sharing. That poor SaskTel 4G network is probably just hammered with the ridiculous marketshare they have, even moreso with Telus and Bell on it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I'll give them a call. Their in-store (downtown, not a booth in a mall or one of those "licensed dealers") service is good, too. Thanks for the suggestion, and information.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
So unless I discover something catastrophic about Koodo the gf is switching to an iPhone 5 with a tab and the $60/month 2gb data/unlimited calling plan. She's just come off a three year contract with Telus, are there any switching incentives she should be asking for?

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
Well guys I have a pickle for you and I'm hoping someone can help. Here's my sitch.

I have an unlocked HTC Desire HD A1919. It was purchased in Korea.

Telus/Koodo. Their simcards can't pickup any network at all.
Rogers/Fido can, but they can only pickup voice/sms. 3G data won't work. The reps at two stores had no idea wtf was going on and as far as they explained it, if it could get voice it should be able to get 3g data.

Is the problem that my phone runs on a different frequency than Canada or is there a problem with my phone? Is there anything I can do to make it receive 3G data in Canada?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I have been welcomed into telus's platinum perks program :smith:

go me :smith:

edit: looking at the program, they'll waive my outstanding device balance once this year, seeing as i just got a note II in november, it's still at $300, In theory, i could use that, pick up a new note II for $50, and sell it for moneys, and all it would cost is 4 months worth of device balance payments, and only extend the contract by 4 months, couldn't I?

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 17, 2013

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

THE LUMMOX posted:

Well guys I have a pickle for you and I'm hoping someone can help. Here's my sitch.

Rogers/Fido can, but they can only pickup voice/sms. 3G data won't work. The reps at two stores had no idea wtf was going on and as far as they explained it, if it could get voice it should be able to get 3g data.

Is the problem that my phone runs on a different frequency than Canada or is there a problem with my phone? Is there anything I can do to make it receive 3G data in Canada?

I've got some weird problems with my purchased-in-Australia Motorola Defy XT. The Android Thread includes several people who know a great deal about frequencies, 3G/4G, data, voice, sms, etc. etc. You should get some good info there.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

From what I can tell from google, outside of North America the Desire HD only supports the 900/2100 frequency for 3G data, meaning that you can only use the Rogers network's 2G in Canada. Bell/Telus use 850/1900 3G exclusively and Wind/Mobilicity used 1700 3G. (I think technically the big three all use 2100 for upstream and 1900 for downstream but you'd still need both.)

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

THE LUMMOX posted:

The reps at two stores had no idea wtf was going on and as far as they explained it, if it could get voice it should be able to get 3g data.

This isn't always true. With unlocked phones that aren't from the original carrier, the only thing that can be guaranteed to work is voice and text. Other services, such as data, are not guaranteed to work. So yeah, that's normal. Not much you can do about it.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

THE LUMMOX posted:

The internet says that this phone works for GSM (2G Rogers), and HSPA 900/2100 in versions sold outside North America. And yeah, that means Rogers 2G and nothing else.
3G in all three companies is HSPA 850/1900 for both data and voice, which that phone doesn't have at all (in non-North America versions).

2100 is what they're using for LTE (which that phone also doesn't have).

Sucks, dude.

OilSlick posted:

This isn't always true. With unlocked phones that aren't from the original carrier, the only thing that can be guaranteed to work is voice and text. Other services, such as data, are not guaranteed to work. So yeah, that's normal. Not much you can do about it.

I don't know anything about going from other countries TO Canada, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work, as long as you were paying for the service and had the proper APN settings

ante fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 17, 2013

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

ante posted:

I don't know anything about going from other countries TO Canada, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work, as long as you were paying for the service and had the proper APN settings

I don't know why either, all I know is when Bell first got HSPA coverage that was one of the first things they told us.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

OilSlick posted:

I don't know why either, all I know is when Bell first got HSPA coverage that was one of the first things they told us.

Some phones don't allow changing APN depending on the carrier. But the voice/SMS only thing is mostly a holdover from CDMA, where it was genuinely a bitch to make anything other than those two work on a foreign network.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
Thanks for the help guys I'll post in the Android phone thread and see what happens. Not holding out too much hope.

Seems like service isn't as bad as I remember it being a few years ago when I last had Canadian cell service. I got a free simcard and there was no activation fee on Fido or Koodo.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

THE LUMMOX posted:

Thanks for the help guys I'll post in the Android phone thread and see what happens. Not holding out too much hope.

Seems like service isn't as bad as I remember it being a few years ago when I last had Canadian cell service. I got a free simcard and there was no activation fee on Fido or Koodo.

Things have unambiguously improved in the past 4 years. I moved back from the US in 2009 and the plans, service, and general conditions of wireless were immeasurably shittier then than now.

Plenty of room for progress, however.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

THE LUMMOX posted:

Your phone physically does not have the antennas it needs to work properly in Canada.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
My wife and I are moving to BC from the states this summer, and we're thinking of getting unlocked iPhones while we're here because ahahahaha gently caress buying one in Canada. When we lived in New Brunswick we had Koodo phones, and Koodo (despite loving up seriously on the billing at one point) actually had really tolerable customer service, so we wouldn't mind sticking with them. My only question is if we're bringing our own GSM phones what would be the best carrier in terms of data and actually getting a SIM card? We travel a lot so it's important to us to be able to swap out sim cards, etc.

Keep in mind we moved here from Canada so yes I'm aware of how utterly hosed we are.

e. Wow is Koodo better than Rogers. Koodo is a hair more expensive at 60 for 3/gb a month and unlimited voice, but overages are a flat 5/500mb, unlike Rogers which is 200 loving dollars a gigabyte in overages.

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 21, 2013

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I'm a fan of Virgin's data rates on their low end plans. You pay for what you use, rather than a flat upper limit, and the rates are reasonable if you ever come in under 1GB. I'm admittedly biased against Telus/Koodo though.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Girlfriend is about to pull the trigger on the $45/mth plan here:

http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/plans/monthly2.html?itcid=LP:143

She's switching from Mobilicity which has just been utterly useless. They keep blaming everything but their lovely network for her lack of reception everywhere in downtown Toronto.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
I've finally a smartphone, moving on up from Wind Huawei original tiny dumb phone. Admittedly it's only basic iPhone 4 but the deal was pretty good.

Kodoo sells them now for 99 up front plus 150 on tab. You get a $100 gift card when you buy one though, so it's basically a grand total of 13 out of pocket.

No contract, just pick any plan to start. Switch to any other plan including prepaid afterwards. Cheapest voice plan is 20 with a sliding charge for data, but until April most Canada-wide plans come with double amount of minutes and data for regular price. Cheapest one of those is 30.

If you're a new customer get a referral for extra 25 off the tab.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

My wife and I are moving to BC from the states this summer, and we're thinking of getting unlocked iPhones while we're here because ahahahaha gently caress buying one in Canada. When we lived in New Brunswick we had Koodo phones, and Koodo (despite loving up seriously on the billing at one point) actually had really tolerable customer service, so we wouldn't mind sticking with them. My only question is if we're bringing our own GSM phones what would be the best carrier in terms of data and actually getting a SIM card? We travel a lot so it's important to us to be able to swap out sim cards, etc.

Keep in mind we moved here from Canada so yes I'm aware of how utterly hosed we are.

e. Wow is Koodo better than Rogers. Koodo is a hair more expensive at 60 for 3/gb a month and unlimited voice, but overages are a flat 5/500mb, unlike Rogers which is 200 loving dollars a gigabyte in overages.

And if you bring your own phone to them it's 10% off your monthly plan.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

iv46vi posted:

And if you bring your own phone to them it's 10% off your monthly plan.

With Koodo? So I can just get a sim from them?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Yeah, I'm reasonably certain all of our providers do that except maybe some obscure ones that still use cdma. (I think they all do the 10% off thing too, though I don't know about Rogers/Fido)

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I think so: click for details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Yeah, Koodo (Telus) and Bell used to be CDMA but they all switched to GSM HSPA/HSPA+/LTE a few years back.

e: >>>

Geektox fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 22, 2013