Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gilljoy
May 3, 2009
So heres my options for the lists

High Exemplar Kreoss
Repenter 4
Crusader 6
Vanquisher 8
Choir of Menoth (Leader and 3 Grunts) 2
Exemplar Errants (Leader and 9 Grunts)8
Exemplar Errant Officer & Standard Bearer 2

or
High Exemplar Kreoss
Repenter 4
Crusader 6
Vanquisher 8
Choir of Menoth Leader + 3 grunts, 2
Holy Zealots 6
Holy Zealots Monolith 2
Vassal of Menoth 2

or choice number 3
High Exemplar Kreoss 5
Repenter 4
Crusader 6
Vanquisher 8
Choir of Menoth (Leader and 3 Grunts)2
Exemplar Bastions (Leader and 4 Grunts)8
Vassal of Menoth 2

Kind of like the idea of using the bastions but 8 pts is quite alot of points, though the senechial coming out for them looks great.

Any merc suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

gilljoy posted:

Yeah I really like the look of errants as well, trying not to have a sterotypical list but I do love the errant models.

What about using a bastion squad instead?

Errants are great and if you keep playing Menoth you will want to own them at some point, but Vassals are amazing, and the Holy Zealots are really great too. The thing about all of these models is that it'll take some time with them on the table before you really figure out how to make the most of them.

Bastions are not what I would recommend right now. I admittedly am excited about their upcoming Seneschal, but they're far more specialized and less applicable than either Zealots or Errants. They're very durable, yes, but they're 8 points for 5 attacks, albeit reach, blessed, weaponmaster pow 12 attacks, but that's still not going to clear enemy infantry well due to volume. In addition to that, speed 4 means they're not going anywhere fast. I want to give them a shot with Harby as soon as the Senny comes out just to see how annoying they can be to remove, but I wouldn't recommend spending money on them before you got what I consider our more "core" units.

edit: Menoth merc suggestions: Rhupert for tough/pathfinder, Gorman for being holy poo poo amazing, eEiryss for shooting enemy casters camping focus.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

Ashcans posted:

Would that actually work, though? He has to keep the Battlegroup, so it means bringing Stryker, Charger, Lancer, Ironclad and then the Stormwall - that's 30 points before any sort of support or troops. I am not good with Cygnar, but Stryker doesn't, er, strike me as a particularly great caster to run a ton of jacks with. I mean not terrible, but that's a big load for him to haul effectively, especially at 35pts when people are going to have better-rounded forces.

I mean he can still throw Arcane Shield on it and pop his feat to make it stupid for a turn, I guess. And for serious new players just having it pop up on the table will probably send them into a deathspin.

The guy with Stryker is another new guy and pretty chill. The one with the Stormwall is using pCaine I believe but yeah hopefully having to keep the battle group up until the last week will keep shenanigans down.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

gilljoy posted:

High Exemplar Kreoss
Repenter 4
Crusader 6
Vanquisher 8
Choir of Menoth Leader + 3 grunts, 2
Holy Zealots 6
Holy Zealots Monolith 2
Vassal of Menoth 2

This is my vote. Jam with mini-feated invulnerable zealots, then feat with Kreoss and bomb everything to death because you get direct hits on anything but snake eyes and the feat disengages your zealots. Vassal can enliven the Crusader or give you ancillary Vanquisher or Repenter shots, depending on which is more crucial. Did you enjoy feating and dropping a Vanquisher shot directly on your enemy's head? Guess how much you'll like doing it twice... :)

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Gay Polymers posted:

This is my vote. Jam with mini-feated invulnerable zealots, then feat with Kreoss and bomb everything to death because you get direct hits on anything but snake eyes and the feat disengages your zealots. Vassal can enliven the Crusader or give you ancillary Vanquisher or Repenter shots, depending on which is more crucial. Did you enjoy feating and dropping a Vanquisher shot directly on your enemy's head? Guess how much you'll like doing it twice... :)

This thread also gets my vote.

Bonus sidenote - Zealots are way easier to paint than Errants, so uh, you can get that list painted up quicker.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
I do enjoy using Kreoss feat and it has proved quite effective in the past few games I've played.

Hard to choose, bomb throwing zealots does sound amazing but I think the Errant models look much better, decisions decisions

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Gorefiend posted:

Whoa another Jacksonville warmagoon? Where do you play at?

I thought I was the only one! I play almost exclusively at Hammerhall Gaming in Riverside. But I may start playing at Borderlands after this league.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
So I've decided I want to play an army of cool tough dudes who hit like trucks.
I cant decide between Cryx with Goreshade or Blindwater. I don't really care which one is supposed to be better these days, but there isn't anything really wrong with a Bane and Troll heavy Goreshade list that I should know about, is there?

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
Bloodtrackers for dummies:

1. Find dump truck full of rocks.
2. Attach rocks to sticks.
3. Have pBaldur make you swole.
4. Use sticks to throw the dump truck load of rocks on a heavy.
5. Run away going: tee-hee-hee I'm the ginger bread man, you can't catch me.

So good.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

El Estrago Bonito posted:

So I've decided I want to play an army of cool tough dudes who hit like trucks.
I cant decide between Cryx with Goreshade or Blindwater. I don't really care which one is supposed to be better these days, but there isn't anything really wrong with a Bane and Troll heavy Goreshade list that I should know about, is there?

eGoreshade Bane spam is pretty awesome. I played it for a while when I still had my Cryx, it was a ton of fun. I'd much rather do that than Minions.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

S.J. posted:

eGoreshade Bane spam is pretty awesome. I played it for a while when I still had my Cryx, it was a ton of fun. I'd much rather do that than Minions.
I am easily wooed by the siren song of awesome frog dudes and alligators wearing hats.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I can't remember, do you already play? We will not recommend Minions as a first faction because if you get excited about the game and want to expand your army a bunch, you're going to run out of models to buy sooner rather than later. That happened to my fiancee, who loves her gators to death but owns the entire pact and has basically nothing to buy. She's even bought the models she doesn't like, mostly because there aren't any other options. It doesn't sound like a big thing, but having a huge selection means you can be much pickier about aesthetics and style and have a much better chance of making it work.

Go Cryx and pick up Wrong Eye and Snapjaw.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I've got a couple hundred points of Skorne and a pretty extensive Merc and Khador force.
Haven't played a huge amount of MkII since Hordes came out. But recently its been getting a ton of play at the local store since almost all the WHFB players are sick of how lovely 8th Edition has been and the FoW players have also started to convert because BF has been pretty slow on interesting stuff lately. I still like my Skorne but all the new players play Skorne and we already had a very Skorne heavy environment (out of our core group of maybe 15 people, five played Skorne). And my Merc and Khador are not what people consider to be good builds for either of those forces anymore, so I figured I might as well start a new one.

I used to play Goreshade a looooooong time ago, but that was pre-Trolls/Slaughterborn and other Cryx heavy hitters. Also I'm a big fan of Trask, he seems really cool.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007

Chance II posted:

God I hope nobody brings a Colossal. Two guys in the league are vet players that are just using their second (or tertiary) army to have something new so I'm a little worried about them. Particularly the Cygnar player because I know he has two Stormwalls.

Played 3 games tonight with my Khador group

Game 1:
pSorscha, Juggernaut and a Destroyer vs. pMorghoul, Titan Sentry, Cyclops Shaman and a Willbreaker
Game ended with me 1 shotting Morghoul with the Destroyer on turn 2.

Game 2:
pSorscha, Juggernaut and a Destroyer vs. pMorghoul, Titan Sentry, Cyclops Shaman and a Willbreaker
Attempted to blow Morghoul away again, transfered to the shaman killing it. Sentry wrecked the Juggernaut. Turn 3 the Sentry and Destroyer traded blows while Sorscha charged. transfered damage to the Sentry killing it. Rest of my attacks brough Morghoul down to 6. Turn 4 Morghoul cut for 5 and finished off Sorscha with his last attack. It was a really close game and I had a lot of fun.

Game 3:
pSorscha, Juggernaut and a Destroyer vs. Kara Sloan and a Stormwall
This game was a pain in the rear end. Stormwall destroyed my jacks in 2 turns but he left his caster out of position and I managed to get a charge off. He clearly was not expecting the Wind Rush+ Boundless Charge combo. Popped my feat and dropped Kara with no problems.

All in all 3 good games. Glad I won the game vs Cygnar because gently caress Stormwall vs. Battlebox games.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Korwen posted:

Bonus sidenote - Zealots are way easier to paint than Errants, so uh, you can get that list painted up quicker.

This times a million. Zealots are so easy to paint you can probably get them done in about a day's worth of painting.

The Errants take about 1.5-2.5 hours per model In a 12-13(Errant Seneschal) model unit, that wracks up quite some time.

Then again if you don't really care what they look like you can just dunk them in a color then highlight in 2 different other colours. It'll take way less time and your models will look horrible but at least you'll get them done before you've gone crossed eyed.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Khisanth Magus posted:

Not sure what of these I might have posted already:

These are neat and I like your scheme, but a couple highlights would make them all pop even more.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I am easily wooed by the siren song of awesome frog dudes and alligators wearing hats.

Gatormen Posse with Fury from Rask are cool tough dudes who hit like trucks. Basically, pick Rask and whatever models you think are cool and it'll work fine.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
If I want to expand my Man-O-War mens with some hitting power, do I go Demo Corps or Bombardiers? This thread had little love for the bombardiers when I first asked, but it looks like one could make it work :confused:

Tias fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 22, 2013

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Demo Corps if you want Man-O-Wars that hit hard.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Yep, Demo corps seem the best to me. They hit hard and have 2 attacks. Compare that with bombardiers who have a lovely ranged attack with low RAT & a low powered saw attack for 11 points, doesn't seem great.

They look :black101: as gently caress though.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Swags posted:

These are neat and I like your scheme, but a couple highlights would make them all pop even more.

I really don't know anything about highlighting. I've only just started to use washes to try to add some depth, with mixed results. So I'd really have no idea where to even start.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.
So I'm shifting away from Cygnar towards retribution. I have Ravyn and Kaelyssa, anyone got any tips on how to work them? Ravyn seems like she wants a combined arms kind of approach and I'm still working out how to use Kaelyssa. I have all the infantry minus the riflemen and a trio of heavy jacks (discordia, phoenix, banshee) Any ideas?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Willeh posted:

Yep, Demo corps seem the best to me. They hit hard and have 2 attacks. Compare that with bombardiers who have a lovely ranged attack with low RAT & a low powered saw attack for 11 points, doesn't seem great.

They look :black101: as gently caress though.

I know, right? I feel as if I should get the demo corps, but.. Chainsaw grenade launchers, you guys! :black101:

E: Seems like the motoraxe-launcher is a P14 template, though. Not too shabby in a second-line unit?

Tias fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 22, 2013

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Tias posted:

I know, right? I feel as if I should get the demo corps, but.. Chainsaw grenade launchers, you guys! :black101:

E: Seems like the motoraxe-launcher is a P14 template, though. Not too shabby in a second-line unit?

The problem is that they're 10" range and attached to a 7/11 SPD 4 unit. If you have a way to speed them up (eIrusk, maybe pButcher tier or Vlad3) they have a chance of doing something late turn 2/early 3, but there are more efficient, more flexible AOEs in the faction that cost less. I would rather have a Demolisher (which doesn't do exactly the same thing but it's pretty close) for two points cheaper in virtually every situation*. Plus it's a second/third heavy! In Khador!

*Or Black Ivan, Behemoth, a couple Mortars, WGDS, Boomhowlers...

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The only caster I could see them working with, like, ever, is pButcher.

e: Maybe pSorcha?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Yeah, I see your point. I do like my Destroyer anyhow, and I did buy a Decimator for all my sexy chainsawin' needs :shobon:

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Duderclese posted:

I thought I was the only one! I play almost exclusively at Hammerhall Gaming in Riverside. But I may start playing at Borderlands after this league.

We have a good group at Borderlands. Even though I live literally 2 minutes away from HHG, I tend to just play at Borderlands instead. Great store.

zerofiend fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 22, 2013

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Summary of Gargantuans fluff for anyone who doesn't have the book: http://pastebin.com/XPKMKYUc

MORVAHNA: HEY YOU WANT TO LEAD THE FIGHT AGAINST EVERBLIGHT AND FEED YOUR ENDLESS SOCIOPATHIC EGO

KRUEGER: BITCH YOU'RE PLAYING MY SONG

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.

Sulecrist posted:

Summary of Gargantuans fluff for anyone who doesn't have the book: http://pastebin.com/XPKMKYUc

MORVAHNA: HEY YOU WANT TO LEAD THE FIGHT AGAINST EVERBLIGHT AND FEED YOUR ENDLESS SOCIOPATHIC EGO

KRUEGER: BITCH YOU'RE PLAYING MY SONG

I remember reading this thread on /tg/ when it came up. My absolute favorite part was:

RASK: OOGA BOOGA BOOGA IMMA RANSOM YOU TO THE TROLLBLOODS

GRIM: UH WHY

RASK: BECAUSE WITH THE STRENGTH OF THE TROLLBLOODS I MIGHT FINALLY FREE MYSELF FROM THE GRASP OF BLOODY loving BARNABAS

GRIM: YOU HAVEN'T BEEN PAYING ATTENTION TO LIKE THE LAST FOUR BOOKS HAVE YOU

OH BY THE WAY THIS IS THE FLUFF SECTION OF A NON-CYGNAR FACTION SO YOU BASICALLY AUTOLOSE

RASK: gently caress

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Haha yeah, the Skorne victory was so loving awful, herp derp ima fall off a cliff and onto this conveniently placed massive pile of magical explosives that the Isoans keep RIGHT NEXT TO THEIR loving GATE!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm sorry do you not keep huge piles of explosive material right by your front door?

I thought that was something everyone smart did.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Well yeah, but at least the piles of C4 in my porch isn't magical. :rolleyes:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
At least c4 doesn't blow up if someone fat falls on it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I keep a barrel of nitroglycerine behind the front door. The guy who plays a sorcerer in our DnD game threw up on it one time, so it might even be magical!

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
ahh I really can't decide what to get for my 25 pt menoth,

Zealots with UA + Vassal or Errants with Ua

Keeping in mind that I'm going to be switching to eKreoss or Amon in week 4 of the journeyman what would you's recommend?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

gilljoy posted:

Keeping in mind that I'm going to be switching to eKreoss or Amon in week 4 of the journeyman what would you's recommend?

I would read back two or three pages since every third post in here is a Menoth list.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007

gilljoy posted:

I honestly would not switch to Amon, almost everyone considers him terrible. Errants and Zealots are both awesome. eKreoss + errants is fantastic

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Gorefiend posted:

We have a good group at Borderlands. Even though I live literally 2 minutes away from HHG, I tend to just play at Borderlands instead. Great store.

I live in Murray Hill. Approximately .75 miles from Hammerhall. I've only been to Borderlands once, and it was to buy supplies. They sure can talk your ear off.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009

Nightwatcher posted:

I honestly would not switch to Amon, almost everyone considers him terrible. Errants and Zealots are both awesome. eKreoss + errants is fantastic

but he is an awesome model :( that makes me sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007

gilljoy posted:

but he is an awesome model :( that makes me sad

It makes everyone sad, his model is awesome.

• Locked thread