Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also making sure women don't have to choose between a career and children, but that is a far, far goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

I am OK posted:

Government-funded speed dating?

This is already an actual thing on the local level in rural areas. One place in Tottori even brought in a literal busload of women from Osaka for one of their matchmaking events.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

I am OK posted:

Government-funded speed dating?

quote:

Also being considered is a plan to give subsidies to local governments that support "spouse-hunting" projects for residents.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also making sure women don't have to choose between a career and children, but that is a far, far goal.
Haha, that didn't even make the article. Heres the extent of 'pro-women' stuff that was mentioned in the article. (I can only assume because its 'revolutionary.')

quote:

Possible steps include a "my gynecologist" system, whereby a woman starts visiting her regular gynecologist while she is young, and efforts to help prevent new mothers from suffering depression. One in 10 Japanese women is said to suffer depression after childbirth.

The panel also will likely study the creation of "special leave for fertility treatment," under which a woman can undergo treatment for infertility while working. [and then quit once knocked up :v:]
:smith:

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Ganguro King posted:

This is already an actual thing on the local level in rural areas. One place in Tottori even brought in a literal busload of women from Osaka for one of their matchmaking events.

Ahahaha. My goodness. I would love to hear the conversation on that bus.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ganguro King posted:

So the rural areas' women all left already?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Samurai Sanders posted:

Being a young woman in a rural town is pretty poo poo. Gotta move to the city and be an OL and enjoy life!

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

They don't all leave, but using Tottori, the least-populated prefecture in Japan, as an example:

There is definitely a gap during the years when a person generally gets married.

Ned posted:

Being a young woman in a rural town is pretty poo poo. Gotta move to the city and be an OL and enjoy life!

Or move to the city and work in a hostess bar!

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

Ganguro King posted:

They've been doing it since at least the 1980s. There's an academic article on the subject here.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ganguro King posted:

They don't all leave, but using Tottori, the least-populated prefecture in Japan, as an example:

There is definitely a gap during the years when a person generally gets married.

Or move to the city and work in a hostess bar!

Is there a trend for the young women to move into the city and find a wealthy business man to take them on as a mistress? It's much more prominent in China but I've never heard of it mentioned in Japan.

The biggest non-death gap is the 19-28 age for women, past which they are considered 'spoiled' I guess and traded up for a younger model.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Sleeping around isn't exactly uncommon, especially older guys in management positions and bored housewives, but it's not nearly the kind of situation you have with China where you're a chump if you don't have a mistress and buy her an apartment and a Benz or something.

Edit: I've never heard of career mistresses or anything here either.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 22, 2013

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
There aren't a lot of universities in the country, and lots of girls go to universities, which I think explains their absence from the country during the university-age years.

A sexy submarine
Jun 12, 2011

Arkane posted:

So I just watched this ~50 minute talk by Kyle Bass, the hedge fund guru who bet heavily on the mortgage crisis in 2007, and he has determined that without a shadow of a doubt Japan is hosed. It's an interesting watch if economics is your fancy.

Bass puts an ~18-24 month time-frame before the country collapses. He doesn't seem to be hedging or demurring at all on the subject, either: it is a mathematical certainty in his eyes. One of the questioner asks him what he would do if he was Prime Minster and he says point blank "I'd quit" and he wasn't being cute.

http://media.chicagobooth.edu/mediasite/Viewer/?peid=f15d95d054e8442ab0cc1c60321383101d

Anyone with knowledge of Japanese monetary policy want to weigh in?

Sorry to bring up something from several pages back, but it always amuses me to see money mangers, especially American money managers doom-monger about Japan. He claims Japan's debt is unsustainable if inflation goes up, but it's unsustainable now as it is. The only way to save the Japanese economy at this point is growth, both in GDP and private investment. Also his claim that 2% inflation is enough to tip Japan over the edge - :wth:. Dunno why anyone pays attention to someone who is essentially a professional bear.

ed: Oh, and a gold bug too.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

jigokuman posted:

There aren't a lot of universities in the country, and lots of girls go to universities, which I think explains their absence from the country during the university-age years.

Yep. More women than men get university educations in Japan, and something like 80% of high school graduates go on to university.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
And then they get meaningless jobs and quit in 5 years? The system works!

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
Meaningless only cause they know they'll feel the pressure to get married and quit by the time they're 25. That's why you sometimes see women being referred to as 'christmas cake'; ie, something no one wants after the 25th.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Does that imply that if they didn't want to get married before 25, they could find meaningful and rewarding employment?

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
Kind of? There's lots of women who go that route. They also sort of end up being single for their entire lives.

edit: I should note that this isn't quite as powerful a thing as it was back in the 80s, when it was really blatant. Lots of women these days are resisting the pressure to get married and have kids in exchange for staying in work (even if they're never promoted or stuck in a low-paying one).

Reverend Cheddar fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 22, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bloodnose posted:

Does that imply that if they didn't want to get married before 25, they could find meaningful and rewarding employment?
When it comes to sexism and things like that I always assume "What's the interpretation of the situation that is the worst possible for the put-upon person? It's probably that one". So in this case I'd assume that even if you are over 25, and even if you say you have no intention of marriage at a job interview or promotion interview or something, your male boss will still assume that you deep down inside still want to get married and quit and therefore it would be a waste to hire/promote you.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
With an added dose of sexism in that even if they thought the woman was sincere, they might then wonder if she didn't have some sort of brain tumor/parasite/emotional disturbance because all women SHOULD want to get married and quit. Therefore she is clearly unstable, and probably should not be hired.

There are disciplines that behave outside these rules, but they're the stereotypical things like nursing or teaching.

On the topic of Christmas cake, I think it's kind of overblown a bit in the modern day. In my few years of talking to Japanese people I've not heard it mentioned outside of it being a custom a few decades ago. The average age for marriage is creeping up toward 30 for both sexes. I have no doubt that it really used to be a thing, but it isn't so much anymore.

Most people are working and waiting. A lot of people don't have a lot of time for dating because of the absurdly long hours required of most professions. It's a wonder anyone is able to find a partner here.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 22, 2013

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
Yeah, the Christmas Cake has turned into Toshikoshi Soba (meaning you should be married by 31 instead of 25), but that doesn't really get to the heart of things, which is work-life balance. It is anecdotal, but almost every working woman I know personally here is also single and childless. Most also run their own businesses, which kind of avoids the glass ceiling issue.

Does anyone have numbers on the wealth gap in Japan? I am sure it is following worldwide trends, but I would like to see how much it has widened and how it compares with other countries.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21880124

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
From my own personal experience (my wife and I both work and we have a child), I'd hazard a guess that this need for women to stop working entirely is more perceptual than real. Now that I've said that, I really need to clarify what I mean.

Legally and (probably) according to the company's own rules, working mothers are sufficiently supported. I know for a fact my wife is at her company (a Japanese company, not a multinational or foreign). That said, in ALL companies in Japan there is a loving insane level of peer pressure to not be seen as the one slacking off. I suspect this is where 99% of the problems happen.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Stringent posted:

From my own personal experience (my wife and I both work and we have a child), I'd hazard a guess that this need for women to stop working entirely is more perceptual than real. Now that I've said that, I really need to clarify what I mean.

Legally and (probably) according to the company's own rules, working mothers are sufficiently supported. I know for a fact my wife is at her company (a Japanese company, not a multinational or foreign). That said, in ALL companies in Japan there is a loving insane level of peer pressure to not be seen as the one slacking off. I suspect this is where 99% of the problems happen.

This is the problem; on the books, legally speaking, Japan apparently actually has some decent laws regarding maternity leave, etc. The problem is the social pressure.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
More in the continuing saga of the supreme court's ruling on illegal redistricting being pretty much ignored.

quote:

TAKAMATSU (Jiji Press)--The Takamatsu High Court has ruled that December's House of Representatives election was unconstitutional, as it was held without the issue of wide vote-value disparities being addressed.

But the court on Friday turned down a plaintiff petition to nullify the lower house election result in an electoral district.

The ruling was the seventh in a series of 16 lawsuits across the nation by lawyers' groups challenging the validity of the Dec. 16 general election.
(Mar. 24, 2013)

"The election was unconstitutional but gently caress it" has basically been the verdict in every single one of these cases so far.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Guess what!

Hiroshima court rules Dec. election invalid over vote disparity

quote:

HIROSHIMA, March 25, Kyodo

The Hiroshima High Court ruled Monday that the results of last December's general election in Hiroshima's No. 1 and 2 districts were invalid due to significant disparities in the weight of votes.

The court is the first in Japan to declare an election result void among a series of lawsuits over vote disparities.

The election results, however, will not be invalidated immediately if the local election board appeals against the latest decision.

Ganguro King fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Mar 25, 2013

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Japan's legal system is like some bizarro version of China's. They have an extremely well codified legal system and rule of law but at the highest levels its still "Yeah, this is illegal but tough poo poo we run the country"

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

LimburgLimbo posted:

This is the problem; on the books, legally speaking, Japan apparently actually has some decent laws regarding maternity leave, etc. The problem is the social pressure.
In my experience, it's that companies ignore the laws around workers rights all the time - if you actually then take your company to court they'll give you whatever it was you were legally entitles to AND expect that you'll be back working for them as usual after - in my case I didn't but apparently many people do.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Japan has a freaking Equal Rights Amendment written right into their Constitution, for all the good it does.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

ookiimarukochan posted:

In my experience, it's that companies ignore the laws around workers rights all the time - if you actually then take your company to court they'll give you whatever it was you were legally entitles to AND expect that you'll be back working for them as usual after - in my case I didn't but apparently many people do.

So they just depend on the average worker not being able to invest the time or effort to file against them? That's pretty wretched. :sigh:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ookiimarukochan posted:

You say this like its a bad thing, half the time people don't file those lawsuits in other countries specifically because it means they'll basically be out of a job.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

Japan has a freaking Equal Rights Amendment written right into their Constitution, for all the good it does.
Like lots of things here, it looks good on paper, but good luck convincing anyone to do anything about it.

Same thing with article 14, which the government has said fundamentally applies to non-citizens, but that doesn't stop people from saying "no foreigners" on apartment listings or barring foreign-looking people from certain businesses. Even if it explicitly included non-citizens, public prosecutors and the police aren't interested in protecting the rights of non-citizens so you're still boned unless you're prepared to pony up cash and take offenders to court yourself.

Bonus story about a restaurant in Okinawa that basically bans Japanese.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

So they just depend on the average worker not being able to invest the time or effort to file against them? That's pretty wretched. :sigh:

Japan actually has a semi-decent whistleblower protection law, but you'll just wind up sitting in a closet for 8 hours a day being forced to do mundane, humiliating work if you try to do anything. It's a fundamental problem around the world - how do you bring your employer to court without creating animosity? You can't, really.

Here's another story in Yahoo! which mentions a few other cases.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 26, 2013

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Cliff Racer posted:

You say this like its a bad thing, half the time people don't file those lawsuits in other countries specifically because it means they'll basically be out of a job.

I don't think companies in other countries poo poo on the law quite like Japanese companies in Japan do - even in the US the problem tends to be insufficient laws rather than ignoring them.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Okayama has fallen in behind Hiroshima in nullifying the recent election's results. That said, the LDP doesn't seem to much care either way and doesn't see the need for new elections.

In other news: a new round of textbooks have been approved that promote government propaganda rather than reality.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Those islands really are Japanese territory though.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Doesn't Takeshima actually have a permanent population of Korean people though? That one is a bit iffier than the Senkakus.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Bloodnose posted:

Doesn't Takeshima actually have a permanent population of Korean people though? That one is a bit iffier than the Senkakus.

With regards to history, Japan has a better claim to Takeshima than the Senkakus.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Bloodnose posted:

Doesn't Takeshima actually have a permanent population of Korean people though?
That were stuck there relatively recently for the specific purpose of bolstering Korea's weaker claim to the islands?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't know the issue very well. Cursory Wikipediing says the Koreans have administered the rocks for more than 60 years. What's so strong about the Japanese claim?

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy
Look Dokdo is Korean land. End of story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
Let's not rehash the godawful interminable nationalist shouting match that is the Takeshima/Senkaku issue. It's the Israel/Palestine of East Asia threads.