Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

I can well understand that they'd release the Avellone news as soon as it was a thing. They still need time for the news sites to pick up on it, and for people to make up their minds and/or sit on the fence until they deem the stretch goal reachable. Would be a shame to hold your trumph card too long for it to matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Megazver posted:

It's because they have Gene Wolfe, Jack Vance and China Mieville at 4 mil.

And exhumed Tolkien.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Exercu posted:

And exhumed Tolkien.

"A new character written entirely by JRR Tolkien! By which I mean we propped up his skeleton and moved his arm to write the story for him."

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm genuinely surprised, I had seen more than a couple of times the sentiment that 'sorry he's totes busy with Project Eternity and stuff and can't do more things' but I am happy that he is in because
a. PS:T was allegedly his baby so perhaps his involvement will mean a lot of the things that I like about PS:T will be in this; and
b. Having him as a stretch goal means they will get more money.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Quarex posted:

Seriously awesome news. I figured there was a chance he was going to end up being a stretch goal ... until I saw the video he made to support the Kickstarter. I figured that was his way of saying "no seriously I am not going to be involved BUT IT WILL BE GREAT"

That was the idea at that point. Brian kept going at it but I think at that point we thought the possibility was dead. But they kept talking about it and he found a way to make it work with PE and his obligations to Obsidian and still contribute in a significant manner. It's pretty exciting!

Darkhold posted:

The overall stories he writes are compelling and fun romps. I can see him writing a really fun subquest. He just falls into the trap of making his hero the biggest badass that ever strode upon the earth.

That seems to be the most commonly cited criticism. He's not really involved with the writing of the "hero" for this game tho', so...

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
Ok, so I'm still a little skeptical since non of these Kickstartered games have actually been released yet but the news the Chris may get on board has me donating to this one too. Here's hoping that it (and Project Eternity) are good...

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Brother None posted:

That was the idea at that point. Brian kept going at it but I think at that point we thought the possibility was dead. But they kept talking about it and he found a way to make it work with PE and his obligations to Obsidian and still contribute in a significant manner. It's pretty exciting!

That seems to be the most commonly cited criticism. He's not really involved with the writing of the "hero" for this game tho', so...

This is pretty much gold! Awesome news Brother None. :)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Brother None posted:

Don't let him anywhere near the romance.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don't have a whole lot of knowledge about game writers, so none of the writers/authors added have really made an impact on me, but if everyone is happy about them then so am I.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Brother None posted:

Don't get me wrong I have no qualms about any author you choose. Just generally chatting about Patrick Rothfuss's writing style. I think that the vision for this game is spot on and everything else is just painting in the colours.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Well that was inevitable. I hope Chris won't overwork himself too much this time. :ohdear:

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Brown Moses posted:

$3.5 million = Chris Avellone

Updated my journal pledge.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Haha. They got Avellone? That should give the pledge count a good kick.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Avelone? That's kind of weird seeing how he does NOT like Planescape:Torment. From what I gathered from a recent interview he really went on this kick that games are supposed to be written like movies - "show don't tell". And PS:T was written like a book "tell don't show" - and apparently he is convinced now that is not the correct way to write for games.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

White Phosphorus posted:

Avelone? That's kind of weird seeing how he does NOT like Planescape:Torment. From what I gathered from a recent interview he really went on this kick that games are supposed to be written like movies - "show don't tell". And PS:T was written like a book "tell don't show" - and apparently he is convinced now that is not the correct way to write for games.

:wtc: Are you by any chance an RPG Codex poster?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
HAHA. Not to be too cynical, but I had a strong ~suspicion~ that about half-way through the kickstarter Chris Avellone's schedule would suddenly have a Torment shaped opening. :xd:

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Fintilgin posted:

HAHA. Not to be too cynical, but I had a strong ~suspicion~ that about half-way through the kickstarter Chris Avellone's schedule would suddenly have a Torment shaped opening. :xd:

Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of this. Not going to keep hammering on the point, I promise, but until a few days back we weren't completely sure it could happen. When the Kickstarter started it looked like almost a sure thing that it could not happen.

Still, everyone thinking it was all pre-planned makes us look like master strategists, so I can't complain!

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
They also said that they will be talking about graphics next week. Calling it now, 4 million stretch goal is gonna be hand painted 2d graphics!

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Zilkin posted:

They also said that they will be talking about graphics next week. Calling it now, 4 million stretch goal is gonna be hand painted 2d graphics!

I'd be fine with that. :colbert:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

White Phosphorus posted:

Chris Avellone also doesn't like voice acting and cutscenes, so I think Torment will be a good fit for him. The "show don't tell" thing probably refers to revealing things through other means than expository dialogue- there are several things in KOTOR2, Alpha Protocol and the New Vegas DLCs that are inferred rather than stated outright.

It's kind of a shame that Avellone's going to be a stretch goal, if I'm honest, because after I heard that Obsidian signed a contract in December I was hoping he would be heading that up. Still, apart from that it's a very pleasing development.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

2house2fly posted:

It's kind of a shame that Avellone's going to be a stretch goal, if I'm honest, because after I heard that Obsidian signed a contract in December I was hoping he would be heading that up. Still, apart from that it's a very pleasing development.

Maybe he still is. It dosen't sound like he will be doing a HUGE amount of work on Torment. One NPC and high level overview and plotting. Sounds like less involvement then he had on Wasteland, and that sounds like it was a couple days a week for a few months.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

White Phosphorus posted:

Which is, of course, why he wrote KotOR II as PST in space. The gently caress are you on about?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Since it's clear he'll only be involved in a limited capacity it doesn't sound like anyone was being dishonest at the outset. It's great that he'll at least leave a small touch on Torment's successor.

Megazver posted:

Codexians typically worship Avellone, so probably no.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
I guess I hereby recant my cynicism on the previous page to say how awesome this new stretch goal is!

I am definitely more interested in this than another new area. Also, it warms my cockles and all -- Avellone getting to work on his darling again just makes me happy inside. :)

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Updated my pledge by +30

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

2house2fly posted:

Chris Avellone also doesn't like voice acting and cutscenes, so I think Torment will be a good fit for him. The "show don't tell" thing probably refers to revealing things through other means than expository dialogue- there are several things in KOTOR2, Alpha Protocol and the New Vegas DLCs that are inferred rather than stated outright.

That, plus isn't the game-writing mantra supposed to be "do, don't show"? Player agency, reactivity, ~my immersion~ and all that.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Can't wait for this. I'm going for the $250 tier because anything higher than that requires you to do stuff. Or is there a way to donate more but still get a lower tier?

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Megazver posted:

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Which is, of course, why he wrote KotOR II as PST in space. The gently caress are you on about?

Hey don't shoot the messenger.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/182612/from_torment_to_eternity_chris_.php?page=3

CA: I think that people [in the industry] are appreciating scriptwriting talents more, especially as games become more voice-acted and cinematic. I [think that for] anyone pursuing narrative design, scriptwriting is the best way to hone your craft, because it's a lot of what you're going to be doing. It teaches you all the brevity; using the environment to communicate a situation, as opposed to just the flat-line vomit of text, like Torment had. Which we had to do at the time, but that's more of a novelistic approach to writing, which isn't necessarily the best fit for games.

Also I think comic book writing lends itself to training you to write dialogue for games, just because you have to think so visually about what's happening in the environment. I really enjoy writing comics. For Star Wars [Knights of the Old Republic II], for example, I found myself thinking about the process a lot differently. About how the shot was framed, what was being shown, and how that reinforced what the characters were saying and [their interactions].

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

White Phosphorus posted:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/182612/from_torment_to_eternity_chris_.php?page=3

CA: I think that people [in the industry] are appreciating scriptwriting talents more, especially as games become more voice-acted and cinematic. I [think that for] anyone pursuing narrative design, scriptwriting is the best way to hone your craft, because it's a lot of what you're going to be doing. It teaches you all the brevity; using the environment to communicate a situation, as opposed to just the flat-line vomit of text, like Torment had. Which we had to do at the time, but that's more of a novelistic approach to writing, which isn't necessarily the best fit for games.

Also I think comic book writing lends itself to training you to write dialogue for games, just because you have to think so visually about what's happening in the environment. I really enjoy writing comics. For Star Wars [Knights of the Old Republic II], for example, I found myself thinking about the process a lot differently. About how the shot was framed, what was being shown, and how that reinforced what the characters were saying and [their interactions].

Oh jesus, that doesn't bode well

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
This game will be the anti-mass effect and will begin a new era of RPGs that are actually good and care about stories. I can't wait.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Jewel Repetition posted:

Oh jesus, that doesn't bode well

How doesn't it? He's talking about how if you have a lot more tools to convey story, tone, and nuance than just text, it's good to use those tools. That seems pretty reasonable to me. I love PS:T as much as anyone, but the wall-of-text effect was driven by the inability of the technology to meaningfully participate beyond a certain atmospheric sense. We never see Dak'kon's facial expressions, or Annah's body language. Those things had to be spelled out for us in text. Now they can be stuff shown to us directly.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Jewel Repetition posted:

Can't wait for this. I'm going for the $250 tier because anything higher than that requires you to do stuff. Or is there a way to donate more but still get a lower tier?

You can donate whatever amount you like and then pick any tier up to the amount of money you donated, yes. You can then also use the excess money on add-ons (like poster, T-shirt, or digital add-ons like extra copies of the game to give away) if you like.

Also it's not really a "requirement". If you like some of the goodies higher-up but not the in-game stuff, you can just go "no thanks" on the in-game content, we won't mind, heh.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
It's like you have to use your imagination instead of having Miranda's boobs or EDI sex bot do sexy poses to explain things.

Reading is fun! Read a book!

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

White Phosphorus posted:

Um, that doesn't mean he doesn't like Planescape. Just thinks that due to the limitations of the medium at the time there were elements they had to convey with text rather than through visuals and the environment, which actually I think IS a better way to convey them. A LOT of the writing in planescape was descriptions of the environment and characters.

Brevity is important. The ability to convey the same idea with the same impact but with less words is extremely difficult, but essential for high quality writing.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

To elaborate: the problem with a "show don't tell" mindset in a video game is that you can't feasibly show everything. In PS:T you got descriptions of almost every NPC's mannerisms, what was unique/strange about their appearance, and specific actions they did during conversation. If you wanted to replace all that you'd have a herculean task for animations and modelling.

On top of that, you can't directly show how something feels, tastes, or smells. PS:T had vivid descriptions of Sigil's odors, how the weird injuries felt that Nameless sustained, and even the things he ate. In fact, based on how it described rat meat I went to Vietnam just to try some. It wasn't nearly as good as I was expecting.

palecur posted:

How doesn't it? He's talking about how if you have a lot more tools to convey story, tone, and nuance than just text, it's good to use those tools. That seems pretty reasonable to me. I love PS:T as much as anyone, but the wall-of-text effect was driven by the inability of the technology to meaningfully participate beyond a certain atmospheric sense. We never see Dak'kon's facial expressions, or Annah's body language. Those things had to be spelled out for us in text. Now they can be stuff shown to us directly.

If you CAN show something, then I have no problem with it.

Necroneocon posted:

It's like you have to use your imagination instead of having Miranda's boobs or EDI sex bot do sexy poses to explain things.

Reading is fun! Read a book!

Yeah, now I'm just imagining the camera fixated on Fall-from-Grace's butt, and everyone shifting uncomfortably, looking around aimlessly, and crossing/uncrossing their arms for no reason when they talk.

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 22, 2013

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

palecur posted:

We never see Dak'kon's facial expressions, or Annah's body language. Those things had to be spelled out for us in text. Now they can be stuff shown to us directly.
Yes we did, there were animated thumbnail icons!

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

Jewel Repetition posted:

To elaborate: the problem with a "show don't tell" mindset in a video game is that you can't feasibly show everything. In PS:T you got descriptions of almost every NPC's mannerisms, what was unique/strange about their appearance, and specific actions they did during conversation. If you wanted to replace all that you'd have a herculean task for animations and modelling.

On top of that, you can't directly show how something feels, tastes, or smells. PS:T had vivid descriptions of Sigil's odors, how the weird injuries felt that Nameless sustained, and even the things he ate. In fact, based on how it described rat meat I went to Vietnam just to try some. It wasn't nearly as good as I was expecting.

"Show, don't tell" as a literary idea isn't about literally showing things as opposed to describing them. It's about allowing the reader/viewer/player take it's own conclusions about the actions in the book/film/game, instead of relying on exposition or a huge summary of what, for example, a character was thinking or what was the point of a scene. Describing a character's mannerisms and allowing the player to realize that he seems nervous instead of flat out saying "this character seems nervous" is a perfectly fine example of show don't tell.

Games as a medium have no more problems using show don't tell than any film or book.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Snicker-Snack posted:

"Show, don't tell" as a literary idea isn't about literally showing things as opposed to describing them. It's about allowing the reader/viewer/player take it's own conclusions about the actions in the book/film/game, instead of relying on exposition or a huge summary of what, for example, a character was thinking or what was the point of a scene. Describing a character's mannerisms and allowing the player to realize that he seems nervous instead of flat out saying "this character seems nervous" is a perfectly fine example of show don't tell.
Taken to its extreme, "show, don't tell" would mean a hell of a lot of cutscenes just to show that some street urchin keeps picking at his scabs or something.

edit: just gonna leave this here: http://www.saber-scorpion.com/lego/dandd_torment.php

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Snicker-Snack posted:

That's what "show don't tell" means in a general literary sense. But the way Chris Avellone was using it, he specifically meant using visuals to convey something vs. using text.

Snicker-Snack posted:

Games as a medium have no more problems using show don't tell than any film or book.

True, but again, Avellone is talking about seeing and hearing compared to reading. And it's much, much harder to put even a simple conversation into a video game than it is into a movie, unless you mocap the voice actors' faces a la LA Noire. It's also easier to have a lot of bystanders and minor characters in movies, because extras are cheaper than making that many models. Compounding all of this is that games are usually at least three times longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Brown Moses posted:

$3.5 million = Chris Avellone

I have never used this image. I've always thought it was kinda stupid and I couldn't imagine ever actually feeling this way but...

• Locked thread