Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

You can buy high-potions and ethers like water in FF1 and in a game where you're not likely to have more than 500-600 HP by end game 150 HP of healing is really, really good.

He said original version which only had lovely 30 hp potions and no ethers due to its weird AD&D magic system. And that's totes right, the boss fights and poo poo in that game were a joke and all the challenge was about properly preparing for giant treks overland and into dungeons because healing was kind of limited and it was a bitch to revive people unless you had a high level White Mage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

You can buy high-potions and ethers like water in FF1 and in a game where you're not likely to have more than 500-600 HP by end game 150 HP of healing is really, really good. Not to mention in a lot of late game dungeons you can coast by just spamming healing helm over and over on your mages for free party wide 60ish HP. Granted, gently caress the ice cavern.

I said the original versions, not the easy-to-the-point-of-unplayable-boredom version that first showed up on the GBA. Where Heal Potions restored maybe 15-30 each and mages could only carry so many healing spells at once thanks to it's spell slot magic system. Healing Helms eased the healing burden later and eventually you had the gold to be rolling in Heal Potions despite how weak they were but I'd say probably through the Earth Cave preserving HP due to a lack of cheap, accessible healing was a major concern.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

He said original version which only had lovely 30 hp potions and no ethers due to its weird AD&D magic system. And that's totes right, the boss fights and poo poo in that game were a joke and all the challenge was about properly preparing for giant treks overland and into dungeons because healing was kind of limited and it was a bitch to revive people unless you had a high level White Mage.

On the other hand, leveling scaled in pretty crazy ways and this was especially true for black belts whose attack was level * 2, giving them a base attack power on par with the Masamune at level 28; however they're going to be hitting more times and critting more often at 28 than any other class with or without the Masamune.

By 50 you're one-shotting everything, Chaos included.

If you stay a low(ish) level, the original FF1 can be rough but if you're leveling and grinding much of anything you'll murder through it unless you're playing a bunch of thieves or something.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, which actually leads to one of the weird/neat (depending on your perspective) things about it: experience is actually split between the party, so a solo character will rapidly level and obviously in a solo game you'll be able to afford to trick them out completely and still carry 99 potions. It's arguably an easier game to beat with a solo Fighter or Black Belt than it is a party of four, unless you grind a bunch with the party. It doesn't hurt that a Fighter in the best armor available is functionally invincible until the Water Shrine.

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
I finished 9 for the first time last night. That was incredible, and a lot of fun. I told myself I wasn't going to bother with tedious sidequests and was just going to sort of plow through, but after looking up one thing in a walkthrough early on I just decided to follow it exactly, doing every dumb side thing, and had a lot of fun doing it. (Didn't bother with Ozma though) Probably cut my total time down by a few hours too, which is good considering my dumb plan to marathon the series again starting with games I haven't played yet.
Next on my list to play is 8... this might be a longshot but is there a 'definitive' walkthrough anyone likes? Even just hearing the words 'junction', 'refine', 'draw', triple triad, etc etc just seems really arcane, though I'm sure it'll be easier to understand once I actually start the game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I know I'm in the minority with this but I found IX to be fairly boring on replays. I did enjoy it (as I have pretty much every FF game) my first time through but I have a hell of a time popping in Disc 2 after Disc 1 is over on replays. I liked 8 most out of all the PSX era games, honestly. I have the same problem with FF7's characters as everyone else does with FF8's. I liked 8's soundtrack and its aesthetic and the world and lots of other stuff. I also liked how breakable the junction system was by mid-game.

I wonder if my opinion would change playing them over a decade later? I can't go back and play old PSX games, they just haven't aged well. But if they released cleaned up "HD" versions I'd probably give them another shot. I don't know what it is - I can play old sprite games til the cows come home but old polygonal RPGs just look ugly to me and play too slowly. I can scarcely play Front Mission 3 anymore and that's one of my favorite games of all time.

EDIT: I'm still plugging at Dimensions and I think I'm in the Paladin chapter. I was complaining last chapter that my Dark Warriors felt underpowered but starting this one I've said "HOLY poo poo" in battle more than my fair share. Every chapter seems to have a way of making my previously powerful team feel lovely. Normal enemies were hitting me for the same damage that the last chapter boss was dishing out. It feels like I missed a town's worth of gear or something but I've triple checked and it seems the enemies really are that hard!

Luckily I ground out some powerful Fusion skills last chapter (Boost Jump, Deep Freeze) so the first boss of the chapter went down in like 3 rounds despite dealing 1500-2000 damage per hit.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Mar 22, 2013

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Elec posted:

Next on my list to play is 8... this might be a longshot but is there a 'definitive' walkthrough anyone likes? Even just hearing the words 'junction', 'refine', 'draw', triple triad, etc etc just seems really arcane, though I'm sure it'll be easier to understand once I actually start the game.

Yeah, you'll understand the terms once the game begins. Just as a quick rundown:

Junction is basically equipping magic as stats (the only actual items you can equip ingame are weapons), and summons (called Guardian Forces - GF - ingame) also.
Refine is converting either items or magic into specific magic (or more powerful spells), or Triple Triad cards into items/spells.
Draw is one of the ways to get magic - you basically osmose it from enemies - (it's also incredibly inefficient and tedious for the most part).
Triple Triad is FFVIII's card game. It makes more sense than IX's Tetra Master, and you can gain cards which can be converted via refine into quantities of spells and such.

Honestly, any old walkthrough will do.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Are there any fusion abilities that are considered must-haves in ff:d? I'm now in the paladin chapter and still mostly having my characters finish out their original classss before changing them but they're almost done with those. I haven't stumbled on many f abilities as a result.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Elec posted:

I finished 9 for the first time last night. That was incredible, and a lot of fun. I told myself I wasn't going to bother with tedious sidequests and was just going to sort of plow through, but after looking up one thing in a walkthrough early on I just decided to follow it exactly, doing every dumb side thing, and had a lot of fun doing it. (Didn't bother with Ozma though) Probably cut my total time down by a few hours too, which is good considering my dumb plan to marathon the series again starting with games I haven't played yet.

The game does a pretty good job of teaching you what everything means in the first hour or two, you don't need to worry about that.

In fact I'd recommend that you make a point of not worrying about the mechanics - don't do anything grindy or tedious in battle, just let the game pull you around. I'm sure you've heard how easy it is to trivialise the whole thing (even by accident), but I think you'll get more out of it if you go in blind and play along, at least until you get to free-roam with the spaceship on disc 3 (the point of no return, sort of, you can't miss anything important up to there).

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
The important thing to know is that cards in FF8 are the best way to get super strong very easily and quickly. That's if you want to, anyway. You get cards through playing Triple Triad or by using the Card ability in battle. They can then be refined into spells you won't see come up naturally until much later in the game

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Also for the love of God don't grind. The game experimented with a level scaling system and it didn't really work. So if you're having trouble with a boss, if you go and grind up levels, you just make the boss harder.

It doesn't make the game impossible if you level up, mind, just don't treat it as a solution if a boss if giving you grief. If a boss is hard you need to try some new junctions or go look for items/spells, not just level up to a point of trivializing it.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well

victrix posted:

I still don't understand how or why VP2 didn't get more recognition. It had a really fun battle system and the graphics were loving insane for the PS2. The final areas in that game were loaded with :stare: areas.

I guess it just came out at a really bad time, at the end of the generation (sorta similar to FF9 in that respect), so it was overshadowed by shiny new releases.

Agreed. I got 2 of my roommates who had never played a JRPG before to play it in my last year of college. I really liked it and preferred it to the original, actually.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Are there any fusion abilities that are considered must-haves in ff:d? I'm now in the paladin chapter and still mostly having my characters finish out their original classss before changing them but they're almost done with those. I haven't stumbled on many f abilities as a result.

The best one is Phantom Dancer which annoyingly requires a level 20 Dancer and a level 17 Monk (Trance+Dropkick). You could alternately level someone to twenty in Archer to get a slightly better similar ability but that one requires two ability slots so your choice. After that you have Hastega (haste+bards haste) and for paladin chapter Warrior 15 and Paladin 9(?) (War Cry+Paladin's Defense Move) gives you a party wide shell, protect, and attack up.

None of these, however, are must haves and you can thoroughly ruin the games day without these abilities. With these even the optional bosses and superbosses will be mince pudding. Especially if you have dualcast on your mages.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Wir ff8, make sure to get Diablo from Cid early in the game so you can get enc-none, and get Odin so you can grind Tonberries for the 30-mins or so to get the King GF. The chocobo forests and some of the other sidequests in disc 3 can be real confusing and don't give great rewards except some nice character scenes. Draw from every boss so you don't miss a GF.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Deep Freeze makes the Light Warrior chapters easier, it's Shiva + Stop. Boost Jump is also good, I think it requires Enrage(warrior skil) + Jump. Dark Warriors don't seem to have the same punch yet but next chapter may aim to change that.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

effectual posted:

Wir ff8, make sure to get Diablo from Cid early in the game so you can get enc-none, and get Odin so you can grind Tonberries for the 30-mins or so to get the King GF. The chocobo forests and some of the other sidequests in disc 3 can be real confusing and don't give great rewards except some nice character scenes. Draw from every boss so you don't miss a GF.

Get Odin if you want Odin (and if you do, draw Triples from him and mug him for a Luck-J Scroll while you're at it; both of those are relatively hard to come by under normal circumstances), but loving around with him is not a requirement for Tonberry.

Your Tonberry kill count doesn't reset under any circumstances short of having to reload a previous save, so you can leave and re-enter the ruins to reset the timer at your convenience. Not to mention, the timer means jack poo poo unless you're actually fighting Odin when it hits zero. Otherwise it just kicks you out of the ruins.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
So based on the sales of FF:D and the fact it seems generally well received, anyone else hope that team is allowed to make more spin off FF games?

I still haven't beat the game but it really does capture a lot of what made the older FF games so classic.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ShadeofDante posted:

So based on the sales of FF:D and the fact it seems generally well received, anyone else hope that team is allowed to make more spin off FF games?

I still haven't beat the game but it really does capture a lot of what made the older FF games so classic.

I certainly wouldn't mind another outing from them. I'd vastly prefer if it wasn't originally split up into little chapters because the games pacing suffers tremendously from it.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I must suck at getting Fusions in Dimensions - I have one: Magic Bomb.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ragequit posted:

Without a guide you're not likely to get most of them. About half of them require the summoner class + something else and the other ones require really high level skills and abilities that you would probably never keep on the same character much less use them often enough to have them trgger.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Ragequit posted:

I find it's easiest to set your cursor type to "remember" in config, queue up one of the abilities you need in battle (make sure you have both equipped) and autobattle. Remember will make sure it keeps selecting your ability rather than Attack. It's not 100% to learn a fusion so you might have to do it for a bit. World map or by a magic pot in a dungeon are the best places so you can refill MP quickly if you need to.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

Without a guide you're not likely to get most of them. About half of them require the summoner class + something else and the other ones require really high level skills and abilities that you would probably never keep on the same character much less use them often enough to have them trgger.

You're right - I finally just took a glance at a list, and they are all high level skills, some from classes I don't even have yet. No rush I guess.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ragequit posted:

You're right - I finally just took a glance at a list, and they are all high level skills, some from classes I don't even have yet. No rush I guess.

The only stuff you should be shooting for that you can start in the early game that's good for endgame is picking one person in each color party to take RDM to max level then converting to that party's color-coded mage and taking all your dark non mage party members to monk 17 to get the head start on Phantom Dancer.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

ShadeofDante posted:

Well Matrix made 4 Heroes of Light as well as the DS remakes of 3 and 4 and FFIV:TAY, not to mention Nostalgia and Avalon Code just to name a few semi-recent games.

Light side:
Mighty Wall (Warrior 15 - War Cry + Paladin 7 - Mighty Guard) = Bravery + Protect + Shell on entire party. Pick this up ASAP.
Hastega (White Magic Haste + Bard 14 - Swift Shanty)

Esunaga (White Magic Esuna + Bard 17 - Angelic Aria) - removes all status ailments for all allies
-or-
Full Cure (White Magic Curaga + Dragoon 20 - Dragon Soul) - restores all HP and removes all status ailments for all allies

Mega Raise (White Magic Araise + Summon Bahamut) - revive all allies at half HP

Dark side:
Dark side fighters should have Backliner from Dark Knight 7 - it's hands down the best single slot ability in the game: double defense for one slot, and doubly good since they'll be dual wielding and thus won't be wearing a shield.

Gigaflare (Black Magic Flare + Summoner Bahamut) doesn't suck but costs a massive 99MP.

Phantom Rush (Dancer 20 - Trance + Monk 17 - Dropkick) - attack a single enemy six times
-or-
Midareyuki (Ranger 20 - Spreadshot + Ninja 18 - Assassinate) - attack a single enemy three times.
Dancer is awful and Phantom Rush is literally the only reason to level it. Conversely, you will be leveling Ninja to 20 anyway and Spreadshot's not bad to have either, but once you get Midareyuki you can unequip Aim and free up two slots. This is a major reason why Fusion Abilities are good - once learned, they have no opportunity cost.

My spergy ideal endgame party, according to the minor stat bonuses that each character gets, is:
Aigis tanking (+3 Str, +3 Vit, +1 Int, +1 Spirit)
Dusk healing (+5 Spirit, +3 Int)
Alba as offensive caster (+5 Int, +3 Spirit)
Nacht and Glaive as physical offense (Nacht gets +5 Speed, +2 Strength, +1 Vit, Glaive gets +4 Str, +3 Vit, +1 Speed)

Sol also makes a good tank if you want to trade 1 Vit/Spirit/Int for 3 Speed. Even minor differences in speed are pretty noticeable so it's worth considering.

Dross fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 22, 2013

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Good news everyone! The FFX and FFX-2 HD remasters are officially coming to North America.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Also for the love of God don't grind. The game experimented with a level scaling system and it didn't really work. So if you're having trouble with a boss, if you go and grind up levels, you just make the boss harder.
On the other hand, bosses do have level caps (most at around 30, though I think lategame ones clock in in the 50s or 60s, the final boss going up to 100 with hilariously unbalanced scaling stats). Like FF4DS, it's the normal monsters that'll gently caress you up through attrition if you gain levels.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 22, 2013

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The first time I beat FF8 I ground to like 60 on Disc 1 and 100 by the end of Disc 2, and I can attest that for the most part it doesn't actually make anything difficult (and does in fact trivialize almost every boss fight) save for one super obnoxious issue: the level cap being 100 means that when your whole party hits the level cap, Level 5 Death becomes a 100% instant KO on everyone unless you've got some specific precaution against it.

The thing about over-leveled normal enemies is that they also carry over-leveled spells, which lets you draw 100 copies of spells like Meltdown way before you're supposed to.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Well, it took shy of seven years but at least there will be a Final Fantasy for the PS3 that doesn't suck like a dyson on steroids.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They could leave the entire game as is and if they only change Lulu's Onion Knight lightning dodge mini-game I would weep tears of joy

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Bust Rodd posted:

They could leave the entire game as is and if they only change Lulu's Onion Knight lightning dodge mini-game I would weep tears of joy

You know they're going to leave it in.

And give you a trophy for that, or for collecting all the complete celestial weapons.

:unsmigghh:

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

ShadeofDante posted:

You know they're going to leave it in.

And give you a trophy for that, or for collecting all the complete celestial weapons.

:unsmigghh:

Dear christ in heaven please no. My completionist side will kill me

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lulu's and Wakka's ultimate weapons were the only ones I didn't bother getting because gently caress lightning and gently caress Blitzball.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

The last time I did that lighting dodging game, I had to use the savestates on pcsx2, there's like no way I would have the patience to try it otherwise.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Pablo Gigante posted:

Lulu's and Wakka's ultimate weapons were the only ones I didn't bother getting because gently caress lightning and gently caress Blitzball.

Add to that Tidus' and that was my experience. I just could not complete that chocobo race. One time I got 0.0.0 and that wasn't enough, you need -0.0.1 to actually get the thing. This was after like four solid hours of trying. I hung it up after that and just created a weapon later on that had break damage limit. gently caress the minigames in FFX.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I hope they add cutscene skipping functionality. My brain can't handle the laughing scene again.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Blitzball owns.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Auron's was the only Sigil I got. All the others just seemed to be too much of a pain in the rear end at the time.

I don't even remember how you get Auron's Sigil though.

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice

Boogalo posted:

I hope they add cutscene skipping functionality. My brain can't handle the laughing scene again.

I hope they replace it with the Japanese laugh. :unsmigghh:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pablo Gigante posted:

I had way too much time on my hands as a teenager. I did both. Twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I got 105 or 115 once and that was my record, but I had the awesome FFX strategy guide and they taught me to craft the ultimate blitzball team. Also, as miniggames go, it wipes the floor with all the card battle games.

The other thing I'd love would be just one more bonus summon. I really always believed the summoning alone in this game was cooler than any magic system in any other RPG ever.

I also cannot wait to get the al bhed primers! I love their language!