Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just loved Chiaki's "You got that wrong!... I think :ohdear:" She is the cutest lil' detective, yes she is!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

tomanton posted:

There's still a lot of evidence we have to reconcile (bloody tablecloth, embarassing pose??) so it's fine to hold the game's hand for a little longer. The least obvious thing (to me) would be where the blood on the not-murder-weapon knife came from. I also wonder if we're ever going to hear more about the kitchen's power-guzzling hot pot and electric griddle.

This is probably of no consequence but the points about the kitchen equipment were brought up in the thread a few times earlier and they've been bothering me, because I'm pretty sure people have the wrong idea of what they are. Hanamura specifically says the grill is gas powered but requires electricity. As in, it's not an electric grill, just the igniter is electric.

As for the 'hot-pot' thingy, I'd say it's likely the same, relies on a spark to start if its gas, and incredibly impractical for someone the size of the little chef to run around with as a light source in otherwise pitch-dark without tripping and burning his face off, like some people were suggesting earlier. That's if it even gives off light from a flame at all, I'm imagining it as this bad boy that runs off pure good-ole fashioned electricity and hot water.

I'm wondering about the other evidence bullets too, though. Think we're in for a few more twists. And still only the first trial! Loving it.

Diamond Joe Biden
Dec 29, 2009

by Cowcaster

Zikan posted:

Stabbing in the dark here but

:rimshot:

Armanky posted:

What I'm proposing is that he wanted to achieve just the opposite. He wanted to get everybody killed at once. To do this, he attempted to create a situation where every single person in the room could have been his killer, leading to an (ideally) unsolvable trial. It seems to me that his idea of "hope prevailing" involves everybody escaping this situation via death.

If he wanted to do that couldn't he have just planted some incriminating evidence on himself after the murder/before the trial?

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
I really like the theory that Nagito was going to kill himself. It seemed pretty obvious to me that in the trial he was both trying to get them to give up (and die) while also making himself look way more suspicious in case they didn't give up (to have them pick the wrong murderer and die) but I couldn't figure out what his beginning plan was to get everyone killed. The suicide theory is very elegant.

I think he didn't immediately pin himself as the murderer because having them give up in the name of hope and love in each other would be far more despair-joyful than just having them be duped and wrong.

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza

BioEnchanted posted:

She is the cutest lil' detective, yes she is!

Please don't do... that. :psyduck:

Dashticle posted:

This is probably of no consequence but the points about the kitchen equipment were brought up in the thread a few times earlier and they've been bothering me, because I'm pretty sure people have the wrong idea of what they are. Hanamura specifically says the grill is gas powered but requires electricity. As in, it's not an electric grill, just the igniter is electric.

As for the 'hot-pot' thingy, I'd say it's likely the same, relies on a spark to start if its gas, and incredibly impractical for someone the size of the little chef to run around with as a light source in otherwise pitch-dark without tripping and burning his face off, like some people were suggesting earlier. That's if it even gives off light from a flame at all, I'm imagining it as this bad boy that runs off pure good-ole fashioned electricity and hot water.

I'm wondering about the other evidence bullets too, though. Think we're in for a few more twists. And still only the first trial! Loving it.

I was actually picturing something more like this:

Which would glow bright red when activated. I mean, it'd still be pretty dim and extremely dangerous to take into the crawlspace, but it could've just been used as a landmark like Nagito did with the glow-in-the-dark paint. Perhaps to find their way back out of the crawlspace?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Nagito did it and he's completely terrible. "Hope will win! So let's just give up all hope and give up :geno:"

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Call Now posted:

Nagito did it and he's completely terrible. "Hope will win! So let's just give up all hope and give up :geno:"

It gives me a really weird cult vibe.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free

Policenaut posted:

It gives me a really weird cult vibe.

I got it! Nagito is actually the head of a Heaven's Gate-esque cult. He instilled "hope" in all his followers that they would be spared from Earth's inevitable demise if they killed themselves. Despite his memory wipe he still feels the need to do this to the students on the island.. the only way to save them from Monobear is to kill them all at once.

Mmhmm, yep, clearly the solution to this mystery.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
It's astounding how we had like 34 pages of speculation, and yet so many goons are suddenly throwing away all the obvious evidence and claiming that Nagito did it, all because he was standing next to the lamp.

Have we not already proven the knife is not the murder weapon? We know the precise size of Togami's stab wounds, and they're skewer-sized. The blood pattern on the knife is also inconsistent with being used to stab someone 8-9 times.

Stick to your crazy, baseless guns, dudes.

TehDuke
Oct 17, 2012

Who am I?
What is happening?
Why is butterscotch?
Ah, I just realized what Nagito reminded me of during the last part of the trial: The Neighborhood Watch from Hot Fuzz.

Creepy as hell, keeping a big grin on their face while they manipulate and murder to keep their distorted sense of equilibrium. "The Greater Good" and all that.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Nagito's doing something along the same lines... though I'm still hesitant that he's the killer, if only because we simply don't have the whole picture yet.

TehDuke fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 22, 2013

mangoman321
Apr 10, 2009

likecnsnnts posted:

It's astounding how we had like 34 pages of speculation, and yet so many goons are suddenly throwing away all the obvious evidence and claiming that Nagito did it, all because he was standing next to the lamp.

Have we not already proven the knife is not the murder weapon? We know the precise size of Togami's stab wounds, and they're skewer-sized. The blood pattern on the knife is also inconsistent with being used to stab someone 8-9 times.

I'm going assume most of those people are only reading the updates and not following most of the speculation. All this update has changed is confirming that Nagito is suspicious as gently caress, and giving us a real reason to suspect he planted the knife. We even have the (flimsy) argument now that Nagito is just batshit crazy as to why he thought planting the knife during the blackout would net him an easy kill.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Armanky posted:

Please don't do... that. :psyduck:

Sorry, too creepy :shobon:

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Honestly I'm like 99% sure that Nagito is the 'traitor' at this point.

But he's not the killer in this case.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Anyone else crack up at the answers like "the light bulb" and "its weight"?

drat these trials feels so long :negative:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

It is completely possible to reason out in game that Nagito wants to kill everyone by leading them to a null decision. Whether he has special compensation from monobear as traitor or if he honestly doesn't care if he dies is up in the air. There is a killer in this room and suddenly there's this guy helping him? What would that killer think when someone dangles this bait in front of them - a get out of execution/tropical-hell free card? The first person to agree with Nagito that "Nobody did this, obviously" was Hanamura. Then two more people joined in probably in relief that somebody said it, because nobody wants to believe there's a murderer among them, but the first person to jump on that theory was Hanamura.

That said, wasn't this update short? Really short? Took days for this and it's so short! Maybe it only feels that way because it was two long parts instead of five shorter ones.

e: I wish we could find out what the "monkey's uncle" was before it got localized but I'm pretty sure both Oronen and Fidule hate answering these questions. I think it's really interesting though!

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 22, 2013

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Krinkle posted:

It is completely possible to reason out in game that Nagito wants to kill everyone by leading them to a null decision. Whether he has special compensation from monobear as traitor or if he honestly doesn't care if he dies is up in the air. There is a killer in this room and suddenly there's this guy helping him? What would that killer think when someone dangles this bait in front of them - a get out of execution/tropical-hell free card? The first person to agree with Nagito that "Nobody did this, obviously" was Hanamura. Then two more people joined in probably in relief that somebody said it, because nobody wants to believe there's a murderer among them, but the first person to jump on that theory was Hanamura.

That said, wasn't this update short? Really short? Took days for this and it's so short! Maybe it only feels that way because it was two long parts instead of five shorter ones.

Text wise it's a lot. I definitely notice the little word play and odd remarks ("He's gotten you too?!") really add up so even though the updates are a healthy size, not as much goes on.

Kompy
Sep 16, 2011
So I just have one theory concerning Nagito after a talk with a friend about it.

He's SHSL Luck, right?

Ergo..

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Isn't it entirely possible that both the knife and the skewer were hidden beneath the table?

No, that doesn't make much sense. We know Nagito went for the knife. We know Togami died to the skewer. But we don't know anything in-between, and it's frustrating.

I wonder if it could possibly have been an accident. The skewer accidentally killed Togami, when Nagito intended on using the knife for ???. And then... Nagito thinks he did it when nobody did? I'm not really sure. It still doesn't quite add up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kompy posted:

So I just have one theory concerning Nagito after a talk with a friend about it.

He's SHSL Luck, right?

Ergo..

Gladstone Nagito is the best idea ever.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

likecnsnnts posted:

We never had anything on anybody.
Peko was obviously being setup as soon as we saw the air-conditioners.
So the only suspects were Nagito and the mechanic when they started acting suspicious during the investigation.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Kompy posted:

He's SHSL Luck, right?

Ergo..

Nagito is a way better person, even if he's a creepy murderer. :colbert:

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I still suspect Pekoyama.

The person had to be able to investigate the power limits before the event, which would require the ability to reach and flip the breakers accurately to reset them after having overloaded them. Pekoyama has a long wooden tool that could have little risk with no risk to herself of electrocution. Peko also seems among the more likely to scout out a location and go through the effort to ascertain its strategic strengths and vulnerabilities.

The killer didn't have to be in the storage room during the power outage, sure, but that disproves other people's alibis, it doesn't firm up her own. In fact, it weakens it, since previously the characters had been under the assumption that being in the breaker room would be essential to causing the outage.

And... we didn't find the entrance to the crawlspace in any of the places we searched, which excludes, pretty much, the toilet, which someone could enter and lock before proceeding under the floor to her ambush point, before returning and sneaking back to her assigned location.

It would explain why Owada didn't get sick and, depressingly, why Nidai didn't notice a terrible stench after Peko's horrifying bout of digestive distress.

Souda would be right, sure, but for all the wrong reasons.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 22, 2013

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

curiousCat posted:

I wonder if it could possibly have been an accident. The skewer accidentally killed Togami.

The skewer accidentally stabbed Togami 8 times in his abdomen and throat?

tonberrytoby posted:

Peko was obviously being setup as soon as we saw the air-conditioners.
So the only suspects were Nagito and the mechanic when they started acting suspicious during the investigation.

Which thread are you reading?

BigDB
Mar 21, 2013
These recent theories about Nagito wanting to commit suicide is crazy but they totally make sense. I mean, I think someone mentioned it but instead of grabbing the knife and going in the dark trying to stab someone at random, it would make much more sense that Nagito wanted to commit suicide to either unite everyone, or to end everyone because they couldn't figure it out. I wouldn't have thought of it before but with the new light of Nagitos' personality, it makes more sense than anything.

Either way, with how he is now, he is MUCH more interesting. I can't wait to find out why he did that and of course, seeing how the rest of the case goes. I also can't wait to see what else Nanami has to contribute for the case, she is officially my favorite now. :3:

I think most of us can agree that the first case of this game is WAY better than DR1.

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza

tonberrytoby posted:

drat, you caught us, we've all been pulling these complicated theories out of our asses this whole time. Turns out all that evidence is absolutely meaningless!

Ayukairo
Feb 18, 2013

Krinkle posted:

e: I wish we could find out what the "monkey's uncle" was before it got localized but I'm pretty sure both Oronen and Fidule hate answering these questions. I think it's really interesting though!

Nidai made a grammatical error that Sonia picked up on. He said "nattoku shita ze yo!" (literally "I accept this!"), but "ze" and "yo" are both particles that can be used at the end of a sentence--"ze" being more forceful. You usually don't use two sentence-ending particles at the same time, so I think she wanted to try it out for fun, thinking that it was a tough guy speech pattern.

Meeks Sisu
Mar 30, 2011

Is this performance art!?
The theory that Hanamura was the killer and Nagito a failed attempted killer was brought up like 90 pages ago and I'm still seeing people bring it up every page as if it is a novel idea. This is getting ridiculous.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

orenronen posted:

Had I stayed, I might have been able to quickly reset the breakers... That might have prevented this horrible incident from occurring...

No, the fusebox in that office is too high for any of us to reach...
It would've been impossible for you to reset the breakers... even if it wasn’t pitch black at the time.

...Seems you shouldn’t worry about it too much.

The tough guy thing being a façade was a pretty obvious facet of his personality from the get-go, but it still warms the cockles of my heart to see Kuzuryuu being nice to someone for a change.

Also votin' Nagito.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Meeks Sisu posted:

The theory that Hanamura was the killer and Nagito a failed attempted killer was brought up like 90 pages ago and I'm still seeing people bring it up every page as if it is a novel idea. This is getting ridiculous.

You've got to admit, not every person who posts is likely to read all 90 of those pages for every single theory, even if most are the same.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Meeks Sisu posted:

Pretty much any theory not your own is frustrating. Five people in a row after the last update declared that since Nagito is suspicious he's the killer, somehow. I'm pretty frustrated by each one of them thinking they've cracked the case, dusting off their hands, and waiting for their accolades for noticing that four characters in the update outright stated that someone was suspicious, they're the killer QED.

Ayukairo posted:

Nidai made a grammatical error that Sonia picked up on. He said "nattoku shita ze yo!" (literally "I accept this!"), but "ze" and "yo" are both particles that can be used at the end of a sentence--"ze" being more forceful. You usually don't use two sentence-ending particles at the same time, so I think she wanted to try it out for fun, thinking that it was a tough guy speech pattern.

Thanks so much for that. I never even knew about -ze as a more foreceful -yo. They don't teach you how to talk like a cool guy in two years of Japanese I guess.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I don't think Nagito is the murderer, though. Even if he got to the knife, I don't think it wasn't the knife that killed Togami considering the amount of space under the table. Nagito tried something funny and created the situation where Togami got killed, but he couldn't have been the one to stab him.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Ayukairo posted:

It's not strictly a grammatical error, you know, nor do I think it was intended as such - it's simply an old fashioned rough speech pattern (you occasionally hear samurai and such use this pattern in period pieces), and it's also used in some regional dialects.

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza

SectumSempra posted:

You've got to admit, not every person who posts is likely to read all 90 of those pages for every single theory, even if most are the same.

I don't think the issue lies with people rehashing ideas that have come up before, but when people do this whole number:

"Oh my god you GUYS, I was thinking this over and I think I figured it all out! Heh, I'm kind of a prodigy at this whole mystery-solving thing, so don't feel bad that I'm the first one to think of it. :smuggo: Well here it is!

[[Prevailing theory that has been the subject of discussion for several pages]]"

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
All I can say is the fallout Nagito will face after all of this is over should be glorious. He shouldn't get a pass just because his murder attempt failed. Plus he is creepy as hell.

How can he be so into hope and friendship if his idea of showing this is by giving up and dying?

What kind of malignant brain tumor does this kid have? I'm interested...

Dejablue fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 22, 2013

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Kytrarewn posted:

The person had to be able to investigate the power limits before the event, which would require the ability to reach and flip the breakers accurately to reset them after having overloaded them.

Nanami suggested the possibility that someone might have asked Monobear about the power limit. If that's what happened, Monobear might have said 'here's the exact number of irons you need to plug in' or been obliging enough to flip the breakers himself after the blackout culprit tested it out.

It's also interesting in the light of this scene, when Hinata and Nagito visit Togami's cabin after the murder:

orenronen posted:

Huh? It seems the door is locked.

In that case... we have to ask him to do something about it.

Then, Komaeda took a big breath and...

Heeeeeey, Monobear!

Did someone call?!

K...Komaeda... Since when did you have him under control...?

Nagito's evidently called upon Monobear before.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Most of the thread thinks they are Kirigiri, but we are really much more like Hagakure when it comes to deductive prowess.

Note: Please don't take this statement as an opportunity to roleplay or say which fictional character you really resemble.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Monobear all but admitted that yeah, he was asked about the power limit, and the game is telegraphing pretty drat hard that Nagito caused it anyway.

Kytrarewn posted:

And... we didn't find the entrance to the crawlspace in any of the places we searched, which excludes, pretty much, the toilet, which someone could enter and lock before proceeding under the floor to her ambush point, before returning and sneaking back to her assigned location.
We barely even looked at the storage room, thanks to Nagito insisting that "Welp, I don't see anything at a glance, so let's leave without checking to see if there's anything below the shitload of junk in here. Also, I don't see a bloody tablecloth what are you talking about?"

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 22, 2013

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Whether or not Nagito did it I really like how the game is using hope (Or the perversion of) in defense of a (possible) murderer. Thinking of the last trial in the first game where Naegi had to convince them all to believe in him - what if such a scenario had happened where he was actually the killer as it seems to be so far here?

At the very least it makes him a much more interesting character than a copy of a character we already had. I'm also curious as to whether Nagito is just lying and having a hard time keeping all his stories straight or if he also has some memory/split personality problem.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Armanky posted:

I don't think the issue lies with people rehashing ideas that have come up before, but when people do this whole number:

"Oh my god you GUYS, I was thinking this over and I think I figured it all out! Heh, I'm kind of a prodigy at this whole mystery-solving thing, so don't feel bad that I'm the first one to think of it. :smuggo: Well here it is!

[[Prevailing theory that has been the subject of discussion for several pages]]"

[[She was on her anime robot period! Therefore she couldn't be the killer! :shepface:]]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

CandyCrazy posted:

We barely even looked at the storage room, thanks to Nagito insisting that "Welp, I don't see anything at a glance, so let's leave without checking to see if there's anything below the shitload of junk in here. Also, I don't see a bloody tablecloth what are you talking about?"

Eh, that can be discounted by the fact that Chiaki was looking around the place for an entrance to the crawlspace as well. She wouldn't have been deflected by Nagito in her own search, which, I expect, would have included the storage room. I'm not so sure she'd want to get down on her hands and knees in the toilet and go searching for the sewer level, though.

Also- I didn't read the Monobear/Monomi interruption as plainly "I admit I told them how many irons to plug in". It was left as a distinct possibility, but still far from the clarity of something along the lines of "Monomi: Admit it you told them that the circuit could only handle 45.37A! Monobear: No, I didn't even know the circuit limit. But you do! Are you sure you weren't the one who leaked the information?" etc, all leading to the assumption thereafter that the current limit had been revealed but unwilling to say which stuffed animal was the culprit as far as that was concerned.

EDIT: on the other hand, a lot of this is based on assumptions about characters. I just don't really like the fact that one of the two locations that the entrance to the crawlspace could have been found was closed and locked the entire duration of the event by someone people are assuming was innocent simply because the area she was supposedly in was closed and locked.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 22, 2013

• Locked thread