Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Welp looks like I'll be getting a Volvo and coming full circle. First car I ever rode in coming home from the hospital was a Volvo wagon (no idea which one, only memory of it is that it was blue). Guess it was a 200 or 700 series.

So I'm looking at Volvos, sedan or wagon. Looking for comfort and reliability (My current car is a Saturn with ~75k miles on it and it breaks if you look at it the wrong way. It's also put together in the most annoying way). I guess I should look for a late model 700 series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

What's your budget, where are you, do you want an old one?

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Cakefool posted:

What's your budget, where are you, do you want an old one?

Old one for sure, I'm in New Jersey. 5k is my upper limit, but preferably less

EDIT: Also, anybody in this? http://www.vcoa.org/club-overview/benefits
Seems like it could be worth it for parts and such.

TopherCStone fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 8, 2013

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I'd get the nicest, newest 945 you can find if you want that style of wagon.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

TopherCStone posted:

Old one for sure, I'm in New Jersey. 5k is my upper limit, but preferably less

EDIT: Also, anybody in this? http://www.vcoa.org/club-overview/benefits
Seems like it could be worth it for parts and such.

The magazine is nice but the discounts are only for 10% or 15% off people's retail pricing, you'll still pay 50% more than internet prices.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

zundfolge posted:

I'd get the nicest, newest 945 you can find if you want that style of wagon.

I heard people on other sites saying that the 900 series wasn't as good as the others. Was that just a bunch of internet hot air?

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

TopherCStone posted:

I heard people on other sites saying that the 900 series wasn't as good as the others. Was that just a bunch of internet hot air?

The 940s are a cosmetic refresh of the 740s and are functionally the same. The 960 is a more luxurious, more complicated update of the 760 that's spiritually closer to more modern cars like the 850. If you were looking at 740s, the 940 is the same thing, just newer.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

TheJeffers posted:

The 940s are a cosmetic refresh of the 740s and are functionally the same. The 960 is a more luxurious, more complicated update of the 760 that's spiritually closer to more modern cars like the 850. If you were looking at 740s, the 940 is the same thing, just newer.

Oh I see. At any rate there's a dearth of older Volvos near me. I've been looking on ebay, craigslist, autotrader, etc. There are plenty of 2001 XC70s but very few of anything else. No 945s at all.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

If you don't want to customize them, the '95 and up 960/S90 is the best RWD volvo you can buy. Bulletproof reliable and really luxurious. If you want to add performance upgrades like lowering it and increasing power, you need a 940 turbo, ideally from 93-95 and avoid the SE model. The 940SE and 960 have IRS that there are no aftermarket options for. The solid axle cars have all the goodies.

740s are good, 940s are the best of the 740s. They literally are the same car, only the sedan has a taller trunk.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

LloydDobler posted:

If you don't want to customize them, the '95 and up 960/S90 is the best RWD volvo you can buy. Bulletproof reliable and really luxurious. If you want to add performance upgrades like lowering it and increasing power, you need a 940 turbo, ideally from 93-95 and avoid the SE model. The 940SE and 960 have IRS that there are no aftermarket options for. The solid axle cars have all the goodies.

740s are good, 940s are the best of the 740s. They literally are the same car, only the sedan has a taller trunk.

I just want to drive this one. Someday when I have garage space and more time I'll be looking for one to tinker with
There's a 98 S90 in the area I'll go take a look at that. 150k miles.

TopherCStone fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 8, 2013

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I just changed the rear springs in my 240 Classic in 30 minutes. Either I have just finally gotten good at working on cars or it was just that easy. Once I finally figured out where I could put the jackstands to keep the rear end up in the air (jacks and jackstands usually have to be used at different points on the chassis, who knew :v:), I broke out the impact and went to work.

Goddamn I love my Craftsman impact wrench sooo much.

But yeah, new rear springs from IPD; they're the overload springs, as this car's primary use is for a newspaper, and the mass of ~400 Sunday papers was really putting a hurt on the ride height. I can't wait to see how they hold up this weekend.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
My dad's '94 960 is making a worrying groaning, whirring noise at idle (and probably not at idle). It seems to be coming from the transmission or the rear of the engine, and it continues for a moment after the car shuts off (while the engine spins down).

What is it, and is it as bad a sign as I think it might be? (The car's got 219,000 miles on the original transmission.)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Beach Bum posted:

and the mass of ~400 Sunday papers was really putting a hurt on the ride height. I can't wait to see how they hold up this weekend.

There are 1200lbs of concrete slabs in the boot of my v70 right now, I'll snap a pic when I get dressed to get them out.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

atomicthumbs posted:

My dad's '94 960 is making a worrying groaning, whirring noise at idle (and probably not at idle). It seems to be coming from the transmission or the rear of the engine, and it continues for a moment after the car shuts off (while the engine spins down).

What is it, and is it as bad a sign as I think it might be? (The car's got 219,000 miles on the original transmission.)

Check trans fluid level. Likely just cavitation noise due to low fluid. Also, make sure it's not coming from the power steering pump.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

So after reading the reccomendations earlier in this thread I tried to have the transmission fluid changed in my '08 S40 (90k miles) over the weekend. My mechanic told me that my transmission is sealed and is not serviceable. Did I miss something or was he just mistaken?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

He's full of poo poo. The official Volvo party line since about 1999 has been "never service the transmission unless you're putting in a new one because we recommended never servicing the transmission".

The correct response is "so when you put a new transmission in you have no way of adding the fluid? They come pre-filled with fluid from the factory?" and when they answer no, which they will, you say "so..." and wait for them to realize they're full of poo poo.

On the other hand, if it's a shop that never does transmission service, you want to take it to a different shop that has experience doing it. But the way to do the fluid swap is to drain and fill through the transmission cooler hoses.

Sabmo
May 7, 2009
Hey Volvo guys!

The PNP switch in my '96 850R is on its way out, as evidenced by my reverse lights refusing to work. I was just going to order and install a new PNP, but I found this tutorial online describing how to remove and clean a PNP switch. Any opinions as to whether this is worth doing, or should I just fork out for a new one? It would be nice not to spend $200 if I didn't have to.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

If it might save you $200 of course it's worth trying. Best case you fix it, worst case you can't fix it & have to pay anyway.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Especially since you'd have to pull all the surrounding stuff out either way.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Well, I didn't get any pictures, but I got the car all loaded up with right at 409 papers and there was still an inch or so of gap from the tire to the arch :woop:

I was tucking at least 2" before the new springs.

In other news, I fixed my overdrive solenoid problem; turns out there was a ton of slack in the wiring and it got whipped into the driveshaft and stripped off all the insulation and snapped the wire and whatnot. Cue spending 2h wedged into the interior trying to disassemble the shift column without a manual (which was inside, of course, but we men don't need no stinkin' directions :clint:). I'm 6'4 and 240lbs, so even the 240 is a bit cramped for me. Once I got it mostly taken apart I ran a new wire through the grommet, butt-connected both ends to the old leftovers, split-loomed it with the slack bits inside, and taped it up. Behold, 4th gear has returned again! (And yet somehow my mileage got worse; what? :raise:)

The Volvo place I bought the car from was talking "Oh, it could be so much worse than just the solenoid, you'd better drop it off so we can get a look at it."

Sorry fellas, I do most of my own work; I just don't have the heart to tell them that! They are generally cool dudes though.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Crosspost from the Craigslist thread:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/3685437496.html

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
:barf:

It wouldn't be so bad with a different paint job and less color-matching.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
To be fair, that's a factory color. It's Polestar Blue, the 240/242 racing color. They had a C30 at the auto show this year in that blue, it's dreamy in person.

Those painted bumpers are dumb, though.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm a little puzzled what the point of the colormatched dogshit-style bumpers are. Car would look a thousand times better with zero bumpers or anything else, really.

Also, that may be a current model factory color, but that's not the light blue that any 240's were originally painted. Too much green in there for the shade they used in the late 70's/early 80's.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

To be fair, that's a factory color. It's Polestar Blue, the 240/242 racing color. They had a C30 at the auto show this year in that blue, it's dreamy in person.

I don't think Polestar Blue showed up until recently, with the advent of the tuning company of the same name-all the Group-A 240s were white. :confused:

e:fb

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Derp. Looks like I'm wrong. Now I need to find that article again.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Ugh...was driving a 06 xc70 while snowing and hit a car on the side of the road that had also slipped. Front headlight is busted as well as the front plastic bumper. Some minor hood and side damage too. Be careful, 4wd is good but ABS and slippery roads can still screw you.

Any idea of labor costs? I'm assuming its totaled now.

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 20, 2013

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

That's not a total unless you bent the frame rail up front there. I'd guess $5000 full retail, $2000 or less if you home repair it buying used matching color parts.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I'm just spitballing until I can troubleshoot it more thoroughly, but would a sticking throttle cable in a '98 V70 be a possible source of poor cruise control performance? The cruise control in my XC has been flaky since I bought it; it takes a while to "grab" and control speed, and it doesn't hold the set speed very well. The accelerator pedal is very stiff compared to my 850, which doesn't have any cruise control problems, and I've read that that's a symptom of a failing throttle cable, so I'm wondering if replacing the cable might help the cruise control work better in addition to improving the throttle feel (not to mention the long-term safety of the car).

I've had the battery tray out to look at the pump and vacuum lines and they look fine, so I don't think that's the source of the problem.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I think so, because the cruise actuator actually pushes on the gas pedal. Even if it's not the cable, whatever makes the pedal stiff is probably having some impact on cruise performance.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
The throttle cable is pretty ratty-looking and I was already thinking about getting a new one, so I'll replace it and see if it helps. It seems like a logical thing to do to address those sorts of issues, but it's almost never mentioned in forum posts about cruise control diagnosis, which usually seem to trail off without any resolution. :iiam:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
There's only two real possibilities with vacuum cruise: throttle cable or vacuum leak. If you're confident in your vacuum, replace the throttle cable. Especially if the plastic casing is worn off or it's already stiff/sticky. Having it fail (and stick) at full throttle is a thing that can and does happen. A friend of mine had it happen on a dirtbike and managed to catch over 70 feet of air off a crest into a tree (and his helmet basically exploded on impact :feelsgood:).

Rust on a metal-in-metal cable works like Velcro; your usual wear area stays mostly polished if you drive regularly, but push it too far and the cable and sleeve rust patches can interlock hard. Generally as soon as I can see exposed metal (ie when the plastic cover begins to wear off) it's getting replaced immediately.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

http://m.autoblog.com/2013/03/21/volvo-confirms-unnamed-us-model-reveal-for-ny-show/?post=2&icid=autoblog_river_article

Hell yes- looks like the US might be getting the V60 after all.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010
That looks absolutely fantastic. Every bit of it. I seriously might just give up hope on Volvo if they don't bring this to the US.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Alright, I'm in a stupid mood, what so I need to do to get 200+bhp out of a 140bhp lpt 98 v70?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Cakefool posted:

Alright, I'm in a stupid mood, what so I need to do to get 200+bhp out of a 140bhp lpt 98 v70?

A what? Lowest power turbo engine in those is the 2.0T with 180 hp.

2.5 140 hp isn't turboed. The TDI is turboed and has 140 hp but I guess you would have said diesel if it was?

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

Cakefool posted:

98 R series is 236 hp... 2.3l high pressure turbo.

Slap a turbo, intercooler, and a good turboback exhaust on it...that'll get it screamin.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Sviatoslav posted:

That looks absolutely fantastic. Every bit of it. I seriously might just give up hope on Volvo if they don't bring this to the US.

I'm not sure what else it could be, since they have sworn a million times that we aren't cool enough to get the v40.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

Augmented Dickey posted:

I'm not sure what else it could be, since they have sworn a million times that we aren't cool enough to get the v40.

Well they could just not give us a wagon all together (out side of the xc70 which is quickly turning into a mini suv)

It kind of blew my mind that Volvo originally said they were doing away with wagons in the US market in favor of suv's and crossovers. I work at a Swedish car shop and the majority of Volvos we see are wagons. I remember one day our lot had nothing but Saab and Volvo wagons. Not a sedan nor coupe was found. It was awesome. So its obviously not an issue of sales, has Volvo become that vain that their really just trying to change its image?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

A what? Lowest power turbo engine in those is the 2.0T with 180 hp.

2.5 140 hp isn't turboed. The TDI is turboed and has 140 hp but I guess you would have said diesel if it was?

I'm confused & possibly an idiot. 2.4 turbo, 1998. The previous car was 2.5tdi

E: wait, so how much power is this one?

E2: B5254 T3 190hp. Holy poo poo. I think a few of those horses may have wandered off or died in the intervening years, I need to get on that stage zero, see what I can get back.

E3: new exhaust is in order I think.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 23, 2013