Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
...Am...am I a movie hipster? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

axleblaze posted:

You wish.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I'm pretty sure I don't.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I think being called a movie hipster for liking a silly spoof film more than a Dogme 95-inspired European black comedy might be the highlight of my posting career.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

penismightier posted:

I hate all you movie hipsters.

Liking movies.

Or not liking them?

Or liking some but not others?

Whatever hipsters do, that's you people, but for movies.

Buncha movie hipsters.

They do exist, and descend upon Austin every South by Southwest. This year I got told in exhaustive detail why I was wrong to enjoy the lowest common denominator fare that is 'Life of Pi', followed by a long list of obscure films that weren't nominated for academy awards because the masses just "don't get it"

My fault really, I should know better by now than to go out and socialize during SXSW.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

They do exist, and descend upon Austin every South by Southwest. This year I got told in exhaustive detail why I was wrong to enjoy the lowest common denominator fare that is 'Life of Pi', followed by a long list of obscure films that weren't nominated for academy awards because the masses just "don't get it"

My fault really, I should know better by now than to go out and socialize during SXSW.

MOVIE HIPSTER STATS
1. Do not like Life of Pi
2. Like obscure movies that weren't nominated for Oscars
3. Also like Black Dynamite

Be careful out there, folks.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

This is something only someone who lives in Austin would feel haunted and hounded by, so I get it now.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

axleblaze posted:

If you cant pick out the movie hipster at the table, its you.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

penismightier posted:

MOVIE HIPSTER STATS
1. Do not like Life of Pi
2. Like obscure movies that weren't nominated for Oscars
3. Also like Black Dynamite

Be careful out there, folks.

Well I'm 2 out of 3, but to be fair I haven't seen Black Dynamite

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

regulargonzalez posted:

Well I'm 2 out of 3, but to be fair I haven't seen Black Dynamite

Even if it makes you a movie hipster, it's worth it to watch Black Dynamite.

Nimrod's Son
Aug 12, 2003
Wasted Warrior
I have a question. I live in Canada and using the DNS settings on my PS3 toggle between American and Canadian netflix. Mostly I leave it on American because of a vastly larger selection, but will check on the Canadian netflix for things that aren't available and often I can find them there.

For example I streamed The Hunger Games about a month back and I believe it still hasn't landed on the American version. Also on March 14th (pi day) I switched to Canada Netflix to watch Pi.

I'm just curious if the reverse is something that Americans do to watch Canadian content or just watch stuff that isn't available on their normal netflix accounts.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
American Netflix has Kids In The Hall AND Trailer Park Boys so I think we're good on this end. But seriously, is there actually completely different stuff on Canadian Netflix as opposed to just less stuff?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

American Netflix has Kids In The Hall AND Trailer Park Boys so I think we're good on this end. But seriously, is there actually completely different stuff on Canadian Netflix as opposed to just less stuff?

Yep there is definitely some stuff on Canadian Netflix that is not on the US version. There's less overall content though. Most recent example I can think of is Top Gear season 18 is on Canadian Netflix but US only has up to 17. I believe Iron Man 2 is on Canada, as well.

I use the US one despite being in Canada using unblock-us which spoofs the DNS or something. Every so often I want to watch something that is on the canadian one and it's a big hassle to change back over :) (just changing the DNS entries on my router but :effort:)

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Nimrod's Son posted:

I have a question. I live in Canada and using the DNS settings on my PS3 toggle between American and Canadian netflix. Mostly I leave it on American because of a vastly larger selection, but will check on the Canadian netflix for things that aren't available and often I can find them there.

For example I streamed The Hunger Games about a month back and I believe it still hasn't landed on the American version. Also on March 14th (pi day) I switched to Canada Netflix to watch Pi.

I'm just curious if the reverse is something that Americans do to watch Canadian content or just watch stuff that isn't available on their normal netflix accounts.

I would love to do something like this, and I do have the capability to do it, but it's kind of a pain in the rear end so I never do. I would probably do it more if there was a website that showed the stuff that was only streaming on Netflix Canada or Netflix UK or whatever.

...is there?

Nimrod's Son
Aug 12, 2003
Wasted Warrior
There definitely is a bunch of different stuff on Canadian Netflix. As stated we've had Hunger Games since dec. 31st, also Arrested Development came here first.

As to a list of what's available in canada only I've used http://netflixcanadavsusa.blogspot.ca/ it looks horrible but just click on A-K (read more) and it'll bring up all the movies available a-k and then you can just scroll down till you see a canadian flag with no usa flag beside it.

There's really not going to be a whole lot of stuff that isn't available in America though, but it may be worth setting up the ability to go back and forth as there's bound to be stuff released earlier here than in the USA.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

priznat posted:

Yep there is definitely some stuff on Canadian Netflix that is not on the US version. There's less overall content though. Most recent example I can think of is Top Gear season 18 is on Canadian Netflix but US only has up to 17. I believe Iron Man 2 is on Canada, as well.

I use the US one despite being in Canada using unblock-us which spoofs the DNS or something. Every so often I want to watch something that is on the canadian one and it's a big hassle to change back over :) (just changing the DNS entries on my router but :effort:)

Actually I happen to know thanks to Netflix emailing me that as of today US Netflix as season 18 of Top Gear

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sarchasm posted:

That movie sounds awesome and I intend to watch it, but I just want to point out that AZNV also has Lady Snowblood (big influence on Kill Bill) and Tetsuo: The Iron Man (classic Japanese body horror) up for streaming, and that's just what I found by aimlessly browsing around for five minutes. Really good stuff on there, thanks.

Yeah, despite the fact that I still have legitimately no idea how legal the site is (but it's been around for over 7 years at this point so it's obviously not ruffling too many feathers) I love it. I've spent many an hour on there watching unofficially subbed films and dramas that never got a Western release. Nobuta Wo Produce is one of the best thing I have ever seen, in any format.

Hell, it's the first place I saw Hellevator (which, to be on topic, is on Netflix). Other amazing poo poo on there that may be impossible to find anywhere else: Real Fiction (South Korean horror thriller shot in one day with no script), Ten Nights of Dream (ten different directors interpret dreams some monk wrote about 100 years ago), Cure, etc. etc.

It probably deserves a thread, now that I think on it.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Well, The Raven sure was a... thing. It was worth it just to see John Cusack amusingly ham his way through two hours of Edgar Allan Poe-age, but the movie as a whole just never really justifies its own existence.

Also tried to watch Tiny Furniture and had to turn it off after 10 minutes. I swear, that movie somehow crammed more pretentious "clever" babble into 10 minutes than there exists in the entirety of Juno. And I never thought I'd type any variant of that sentence.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Also tried to watch Tiny Furniture and had to turn it off after 10 minutes.

It may shock you to know, but the movie actually gets much worse as it goes. I watched the whole thing, and hate myself.

Lefty Lugubrious
Apr 30, 2006

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Also tried to watch Tiny Furniture and had to turn it off after 10 minutes. I swear, that movie somehow crammed more pretentious "clever" babble into 10 minutes than there exists in the entirety of Juno. And I never thought I'd type any variant of that sentence.

precision posted:

It may shock you to know, but the movie actually gets much worse as it goes. I watched the whole thing, and hate myself.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt this way about Tiny Furniture. I really wanted to like it, but I only got about 10 or 15 minutes in before I tapped out. Everyone else I know who has seen it loved it.

I also didn't like Punch Drunk Love or Oldboy, and both of those have been extremely well-reviewed.

I finally watched Dahmer last night and had my crush on Jeremy Renner thoroughly ruined. That man is a great actor, he adopted all of Dahmer's nerdy mannerisms so well (I watched a Jeffrey Dahmer interview on the History channel awhile back), I don't think I'll ever be able to look at him the same again.

I also watched Broken Flowers based on recommendations from this thread. At first I didn't care for it, but after it marinated I realized I like it a lot, which was the same reaction I had when I first saw Lost in Translation. I think it just takes awhile for me to process eccentric, slow-paced films. I had no idea the cast was going to be that huge or that Tilda Swinton could be that gorgeous.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Dahmer is the movie that launched Renner back before they realized he's only really good at playing Jeffery Dahmer.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

I liked Jeremy Renner when he was on an old Bravo reality show about actors called the It Factor. That was when he was only known for Dahmer and just starting to field bigger offers. The show ended with him tearing his heart out trying to decide between doing a little indie movie he liked and doing SWAT.

I didn't expect that decision to kinda sum up his career.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Tiny Furniture is the reason I still haven't watched Girls.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

priznat posted:

Just go to the Unbock-US website. They have a little drop-down box that lets you select which Netflix region you want to watch. So you can keep your DNS settings set to their servers, and use the website to determine what feed they serve you.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just go to the Unbock-US website. They have a little drop-down box that lets you select which Netflix region you want to watch. So you can keep your DNS settings set to their servers, and use the website to determine what feed they serve you.

Oh drat, I had no idea! :downs: I guess I should have read the FAQ.. Thanks!

Edit: wow their updated site is much nicer looking now!

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I don't know poo poo about the internet, is that piracy? If it is, stop talking about it. I don't know.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

penismightier posted:

I don't know poo poo about the internet, is that piracy? If it is, stop talking about it. I don't know.

I imagine it's like circumventing PAL/NTSC region codes. I mean we are customers who bought a service after all, my take on it anyway

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

penismightier posted:

It's like paying for a PG movie and then sneaking into an R movie.

Something only a total bastard would do!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

casa de mi padre posted:

I've been known to buy tickets for good movies and then sneaking into bad ones

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Also, I bring it up every now and again, but Castaway on the Moon is really one of the best movies on Netflix streaming. I watched it, not expecting much, and was blown away by just how good and touching this movie is.

I don't like chick flicks, so don't worry, this movie is not one. That said, this is a movie men and women will both really enjoy.

Castaway on the Moon is awesome, it's so lighthearted and fun that it's really hard not to get in to. If you liked it you should check out Welcome to Dongmakgol, it's got the same lead actor. Think it's on Netflix.

Gringo Heisenberg fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 23, 2013

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Don't know how long it's been up there but Airheads is streaming!

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

casa de mi padre posted:

It's more like paying for a movie ticket in New York and then sneaking into a theater in Vancouver, but yeah, good analogy otherwise.

EDIT: Also, yes, please make an AZNV thread. I'm rear end deep in translation tests over here and need all the Japanese language films I can get.

Sarchasm fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 23, 2013

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Sarchasm posted:

It's more like paying for a movie ticket in New York and then sneaking into a theater in Vancouver, but yeah, good analogy otherwise.
Not really. Netflix gets your money regardless of what you stream, how you stream it, whatever. You're not depriving one Netflix of money by going to a different Netflix. It's all the same Netflix.

I'm literally too lazy to change my DNS thingy to allow me to watch Canadian Netflix though so I don't have a goose in this pot.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Sarchasm posted:

EDIT: Also, yes, please make an AZNV thread. I'm rear end deep in translation tests over here and need all the Japanese language films I can get.

I think it's more like paying for a service and then being told you can't fully use that service because you're from X country and then you lie and say you are from that country so you can use the full service and nobody experiences any negative effects because it's all just bureaucratic red tape anyways so it really doesn't matter. :)

mystes
May 31, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

I imagine it's like circumventing PAL/NTSC region codes. I mean we are customers who bought a service after all, my take on it anyway
Region codes (not PAL/NTSC) count as access control mechanisms under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act and their circumvention is illegal in the US. Using these services to view Netflix from another country is probably a violation of their terms of service but is most likely not illegal.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Rad, thanks boss.

:horse: CARRY ON NETFLIXERS. :horse:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

Castaway on the Moon is awesome, it's so lighthearted and fun that it's really hard not to get in to. If you liked it you should check out Welcome to Dongmakgol, it's got the same lead actor. Think it's on Netflix.
The lead is great, if you want another movie starring him that's on Netflix and is even more of a lighthearted comedy watch Going by the Book.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I was like three hundred posts behind and catching up on this thread and someone mentioned that the apparently new season of Peep Show up, and not only does that not appear to be true, but both Peep Show and That Mitchell And Webb Look are gone. Why :cry:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The lead is great, if you want another movie starring him that's on Netflix and is even more of a lighthearted comedy watch Going by the Book.
This isn't what I'd describe as entirely lighthearted. The tone gets sort of... mixed... at certain points. It's at least not just a carefree, happy fun time movie. Worth watching though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
I thought Going By the Book was pretty comedic and really lighthearted, been a while since I've seen it though. That guy's great in everything I've seen him in (Countdown sucked though).

• Locked thread