Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

teethgrinder posted:

No one else has answered, and I don't use DD-WRT, so I Googled this for you: http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r28071953-

By console, meant you could run the commands by connecting to your router with SSH or apparently Telnet, but the above instructions look simpler.

That's how I did it as well. Was just about to post instructions but was at work all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

teethgrinder posted:

No one else has answered, and I don't use DD-WRT, so I Googled this for you: http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r28071953-

By console, meant you could run the commands by connecting to your router with SSH or apparently Telnet, but the above instructions look simpler.

Thanks! Youtube wasn't slow for me before, but seems to be even faster now, not sure.

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!

Sassafras posted:

You should probably be using -j REJECT rather than -j DROP but I can't say whether the difference between the two in user experience is appreciable. (With REJECT, connections to those IPs will fail immediately rather than timing out which could take a while.)

Isn't REJECT and DROP the same other than the key difference being REJECT responds with an error packet to the originator? It would increase traffic across the interface to use REJECT. DROP is more like a black hole.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Out of excitement for the upcoming package changes, I've started piecing together a new router. I use an embedded system right now which has 100mbit ports, and I plan to go full retard and get the 150/10 package, so I'm going to build a dual-gigabit mini-itx system.

Hooray for our internet finally getting a little less lovely!

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 26, 2013

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I have Bell 25/10. I've had it for about 2 months now.

It's had some problems. But after a first fix, I had amazing service at 25/10 consistently.

Now, after a second tech fixed it I'm getting 25/3 and now two days later 25/5. I'm 1km away from the 'slab' and there is a device extending service to other customers between me and the 'slab'. The tech told me this will affect upload negatively.

Old-ish neighborhood. I could either get 25/10 Bell Fibe. Or 30/2 Cable. Since I hate slow upload, I went with bell.

Is this BS? Or is this something I get to live with?

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Is that on a wired connection to the bell modem or wireless? For me the wireless in bell modem would be fine for a few days, then the service would degrade severely. Using a separate router results in consistent speeds.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

iv46vi posted:

Is that on a wired connection to the bell modem or wireless? For me the wireless in bell modem would be fine for a few days, then the service would degrade severely. Using a separate router results in consistent speeds.

Wired.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So, I have something interesting happen the past few days.

I noticed this past weekend that my Steam downloads would top out at approx 1.5MB/sec. Normally, I'd get 2.3-2.6 on my 25/2 DSL... and have always either with Telus or Teksavvy (who I am with now).

I thought it might be a Steam server issue, so I changed servers and no difference.

I did some speedtests and noticed some interesting results. During the day (like now), I'd get my "normal" 22-23ish/2.8

However, during the evenings I'd get wildly different speeds.. ranging generally around 10-ish/2.8. Teksavvy on DSL reports asked me to do some speedtests through their mini server:

http://speedtest.teksavvy.com/ (which is based out of Toronto I believe)

Results are not good

Speedtest.net servers gave wildly different speeds too... anywhere from 7-20 down.

This is my tracert to the teksavvy speedtest server last night
code:
C:\Windows>tracert speedtest.teksavvy.com

Tracing route to speedtest.teksavvy.com [206.248.140.50]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  dsldevice.Home [192.168.1.1]
  2    40 ms    39 ms    39 ms  erx01.van.teksavvy.com [76.10.191.6]
  3    42 ms    39 ms    39 ms  76-10-191-28.dsl.teksavvy.com [76.10.191.28]
  4    39 ms    41 ms    49 ms  v504.core1.yvr1.he.net [64.71.138.205]
  5    50 ms    49 ms    50 ms  10gigabitethernet4-1.core1.sea1.he.net [184.105.
222.1]
  6    75 ms    75 ms    75 ms  10gigabitethernet3-1.core1.den1.he.net [184.105.
213.42]
  7   107 ms    99 ms    99 ms  10gigabitethernet7-1.core1.chi1.he.net [184.105.
213.85]
  8   121 ms   111 ms   120 ms  10gigabitethernet3-3.core1.tor1.he.net [184.105.
213.149]
  9   109 ms   115 ms   109 ms  gw-teksavvy.torontointernetxchange.net [206.108.
34.67]
 10   112 ms   161 ms   132 ms  2110.ae0.agg01.tor.packetflow.ca [69.196.136.44]

11   109 ms   125 ms   112 ms  speedtest.teksavvy.com [206.248.140.50]

Trace complete.
Modem has been rebooted and it is not unique to my PC. I have tried it in safemode and done speedtests with the other 3 PCs in the house both wired and wireless.

All show similar results. Linestats from the other day are:

code:
Link Power State: L0
Mode: VDSL2 Annex A
VDSL2 Profile: Profile 8b
TPS-TC: PTM Mode
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 27.2 9.0
Attn(dB): 0.0 0.0
Pwr(dBm): 2.1 -8.6

VDSL2 framing
Bearer 0
MSGc: 26 90
B: 237 46
M: 1 1
T: 50 36
R: 16 16
S: 0.2883 0.4785
L: 7077 1070
D: 2 2
I: 255 64
N: 255 64

Counters
Bearer 0
OHF: 56437971 218803
OHFErr: 1 0
RS: 2821885200 1413679
RSCorr: 467 31
RSUnCorr: 4 0

ReXmt: 1034 3114
ReXmtCorr: 966 1642
ReXmtUnCorr: 4 1960

Bearer 0
HEC: 4 0
OCD: 1 0
LCD: 1 0
Total Cells: 1709972633 0
Data Cells: 356330157 0
Drop Cells: 0
Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 1 0
SES: 0 0
UAS: 22 22
AS: 204153

Bearer 0
INP: 36.00 19.00
INPRein: 0.00 0.00
delay: 10 6
PER: 3.61 12.97
OR: 70.77 59.21
AgR: 26317.99 3130.89

Bitswap: 9471/9471 26004/26191

Total time = 1 days 8 hours 42 min 55 sec
FEC: 467 31
CRC: 1 0
ES: 1 0
UAS: 22 22
LOS: 0 0
LOF: 0 0
LOM: 0 0
Latest 15 minutes time = 12 min 55 sec
FEC: 2 2
CRC: 0 0
ES: 0 0
UAS: 0 0
LOS: 0 0
LOF: 0 0
LOM: 0 0
Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
FEC: 0 0
CRC: 0 0
ES: 0 0
UAS: 0 0
Now, I do have Teksavvy looking into it, but does anyone have any ideas what could be going on? It's almost like congestion but that still doesn't explain why Steam would only download at 1.5/sec even when I get good bandwidth speedtests like right now at 23/2.8

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
You should pick a closer speedtest server. For example here's a test on a 200Mb line in toronto teksavvy.

Here's vancouver

Obviously you're testing with lower speeds but latency and distance can do funny things to a speedtest. Have you tried testing with any other means when you're having these problems?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh yes, I realize that the remoteness will certainly effect it. A closer server I get anywhere from 7-23 (23-ish being what it should be).

BUT, I JUST HAD A BRAINWAVE :psypop:

Remember those posts a week or two ago about making rules in the cmd prompt to get rid of IP ranges for making youtube run better? I am wondering if that could have anything to do with it.

How do you see what rules are in force via the command prompt and delete all of them?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Are you using Windows? They should just show up on the regular Windows Firewall gui.

But I strongly doubt that's affecting your speeds. (No harm in trying of course.)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, I just turned the firewall right off in the GUI instead of poking around. Got a spike of 1.8 mb/sec on steam but settled around 1.5 as before, so you're probably right.

Any ideas?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
What server do you have picked in steam? is it seattle?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I've tried Seattle, Seattle Comcast, Denver, Vancouver and San Jose.

Peak at 1.5~ish on all.

edit:

Current speedtest.net

is pretty much what it should be, but Steam is still about 1MB/Sec lower than it should be.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 20, 2013

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
How fast does this download for you?

http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Getting expected speeds of approx 2.5 mb/sec which coincides with my "normal" speedtest results. I'll bookmark and test again later.

Is there some stupid Steam setting or something I'm missing?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 20, 2013

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

Getting expected speeds of approx 2.5 mb/sec which coincides with my "normal" speedtest results. I'll bookmark and test again later.

Is there some stupid Steam setting or something I'm missing?

Steam itself has ups and downs, or the content server you're on could be congested.

Go to Steam > Settings > Downloads + Cloud, and change the server to something geographically close to you

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah,

slidebite posted:

I thought it might be a Steam server issue, so I changed servers and no difference.
I've changed to 5 or 6 servers and they're all the same for me. :(

Are there any other settings I might be missing? Other than my server, my settings are the same as your screencap.

edit:
Holy poo poo, Steam pulls from a lot of places

slidebite fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 21, 2013

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

seems normal to me, maybe it's your router? What is it?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It's a Teksavvy sourced Zyxel 1432 which worked like a champ for everything including Steam but yeah, I'm starting to run out of options and I'm stumped.

But you know, just as I made this screen shot, it's spiked up to 1.8 a few times (holy poo poo slow down I know)

Maybe it's just a glitch. I'll just check it periodically.

Edit: If I uninstall my steam client and reinstall a new one, would that gently caress up the games I have somehow?

double edit: Uninstalled and reinstalled. Same thing :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 21, 2013

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
pick seattle instead of vancouver, I don't even see those on the list

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/?l=english

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Way ahead of you. Seattle, Seattle Comcast, Vancouver, Denver, San Jose, doesn't seem to make any difference.

I am genuinely confused since I can get full capacity in firefox (like that test you linked to earlier).

Edit: This is interesting. A dude on the Teksavvy forums of DSLR in the Shaw service area says he is having a similar problem. I wonder if there is something going on? :raise:

Can other Teksavvy people here help a brother out and check this too if you use Steam?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 22, 2013

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
My steam downloads have always sucked, I don't know why. I've tried all the above in the past.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Same here, across both Rogers and Teksavvy. I just assumed it was on Steam's end, never really had much time to spend to bother troubleshooting all of that. It's fast enough for me to not really care.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Haven't had a problem with getting top speeds on Steam. I use Distributel right now. You guys trying out different server locatoins on Steam?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I'm on teksavvy cable (shaw) in Burnaby and I routinely download from steam faster than my advertised 25Mbit on average.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

ZShakespeare posted:

I'm on teksavvy cable (shaw) in Burnaby and I routinely download from steam faster than my advertised 25Mbit on average.

I pretty much cap out my 100mbps on shaw using Steam. Maybe Rogers is doing some throttling for Teksavvy?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Mine is Rogers TSI as well. On Bell TSI I was able to max out my pathetic connection at ~500KB/S but here the bandwidth monitor will jump from 0 to two digits KB/S for a few seconds, hit maybe 1MB/s for a quick moment and then drop to 0 for a while more to repeat the cycle.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm on shaw in red deer on 100mbit, and will only hit about 6MB/s on steam, and maintain 10MB/s on usenet.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not that anyone probably care a ton, I did a complete C: wipe and fresh windows reinstall (not due to this - been meaning to for other reasons). Still the same thing.

So, I guess that means it is likely network related. Oh well, not going to put any more time into it although if someone has an epiphany I'd be :allears:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

:siren: :w00t: I SOLVED IT!!!!!! :w00t: :siren:

I have my windows updates set to manual, and I just remembered doing a "recommended driver update" for my wireless card about a couples weeks ago. Since I did a fresh re-install today, I paid close attention to all of my updates and one of them was for my Wireless ASUS card. Since I did all my windows updates before installing my software I didn't try Steam without it.

However, on a absolute hunch (because I tried everything else) I rolled back the driver to generic MS Railink driver 3.0.0.41 from Feb 2009 which was the default driver on Windows 7. And VOILA! Kick rear end downloads again! (well, for my ISP package!). My wifes PC has a similar wireless so I need to roll hers back now too.

It makes me wonder how many other people are in the same boat?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I had an unrelated problem recently (corrupted images in my browser as if they were only partially downloaded and corrupted downloads among other things), doing that same thing completely fixed my issue as well. Those new drivers are terrible.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
gently caress wireless. I'd rather get a powerline adapter than go through the hassle of wireless, at least for my main computer and gaming one. But maybe I'm only saying this because my new place has given me a ton of problems with unstable wireless (my wireless was fine in my old place).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DarkJC posted:

I had an unrelated problem recently (corrupted images in my browser as if they were only partially downloaded and corrupted downloads among other things), doing that same thing completely fixed my issue as well. Those new drivers are terrible.
You know, it's funny you mention that. I was noticing a similar thing too. I actually thought maybe my GTX 570 was starting to flake out, but I didn't have problems in games. I wonder if that's what it is too? If so, holy poo poo yeah, what terrible drivers.

Dudebro posted:

gently caress wireless. I'd rather get a powerline adapter than go through the hassle of wireless, at least for my main computer and gaming one. But maybe I'm only saying this because my new place has given me a ton of problems with unstable wireless (my wireless was fine in my old place).

Other than this I've actually had awesome luck with wireless. That said, I use a powerline adapter for my PS3 because, well, PS3 wireless is loving awful.. and I've had good luck with that. It works really well.

The most I see is 25-ish down so I'm not anywhere near the limits of wireless though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Crazy dude posting on DSL reports thinking that teksavvy should be his personal white knight against evil bell.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28136867-bell-calls-my-68-year-old-dad-sayign-crazy-stuff

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
People in DSLReports get really fuckin intense about their internet.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
DSLReports is the shittiest forum on the internet.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

The post is gone... what did it say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Nitr0 posted:

DSLReports is the shittiest forum on the internet.

Apparently you haven't seen very many forums on the internet