Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

The ultimate collabo of sneaker head dude + ebay garbage parts + general cluelessness. He couldn't even have the dignity to say his seats were knockoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

A real winner with lovely AGX 'dampeners' and why would you have manual rack for drifting?

edit: its the apex of awful

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

DJ Commie posted:

A real winner with lovely AGX 'dampeners' and why would you have manual rack for drifting?

I like it when DSM dudes tell me how much "better" their megan/d2/k-sport whatever lovely shocks are so much better than their old AGX + lowering spring combos thus they are a wise investment.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Octopus Magic posted:

I like it when DSM dudes tell me how much "better" their megan/d2/k-sport whatever lovely shocks are so much better than their old AGX + lowering spring combos thus they are a wise investment.

Megans with actual custom valving are probably somewhat decent (as a waste of money), but its definitely true that people consider them good rather than the garbage they are. Its funny, knockoff GC sleeves, some Eibach Springs, and Bilstein Sports/HD dampers are probably cheaper and better. People tend to like cars overdamped, which explains a lot.

I did see some Megans with Koni inserts in them once, that was pretty funny.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

For the cost/effort of custom Megans you could get some Hotbits or something that actually has quality control. Before I had my own mediocre suspension package rebuilt, I was half considering trying to take the uppermounts/spring perches/lower mounts and swapping over to another threaded shock like an Ohlins (although they already have some lower front mounts for a multilink) or something that's actually rebuildable by someone within a 300 mile radius. :sigh:

ACH-138
Apr 24, 2008

77 Celica 1700$

http://catskills.craigslist.org/ctd/3684939288.html

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Why paint panels when you can buy Chinese wheels instead?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I can only imagine how much fun it's going to be to saw off every bolt/redrill + heilcoil everything.

ACH-138
Apr 24, 2008
I am so starved for any glimmer of automotive hope in the Northeast in March.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

VanNuys posted:

why would someone go through all the trouble of doing a swap, for a ka24 of all things?

You see plenty of Chevy 305 swaps for the same reason, cheap and available.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Mighty Horse posted:

You see plenty of Chevy 305 swaps for the same reason, cheap and available.

That is such a horrible loving idea. I can't even comprehend it.

Basic steps for getting more performance from your 305 powered car:
1. Weld chain onto 305
2. Use 305 as a boat anchor and go buy a 350.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

1. Weld chain onto 305

My experience went:

1. Buy Monte Carlo SS
2. Realize it really isn't that fast.
3. Dump shitloads of money into boat anchor 305.
4. Weep softly as the realization that I should have just dumped a 350 in it.

I loved that car. I wish I would have done the research and found out what a worthless lump the 305 is.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Those headlights are a swap. Why would they bother?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fucknag posted:

Actual MSMs aren't even worth that much. Hell, you could probably get an MS3 for under 10. Also, the Mazdaspeed Miata was a 1-year special in 2004, and it was turbocharged.

MSM Miatas ran 2004-05. And I know it's in Canada but they demand a pretty good price, I've been watching them for three weeks now and have seen them sell from between $12K up to $18K.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Half of me is glad I missed out on this the first time around, half of me still wants it. Looks like it had some issues that the new owner ran into.

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-Volvo-850r-5cyl-turbo-300-whp-W0QQAdIdZ466560797

quote:

Sadly im looking to sell my 1996 volvo 850r wagon, there was not many of these in canada and as far as i know the only one around here.. It is my second car and i do not have the time or money to get it back to where it should be.
Start off with the bad;
Car pops out of third gear and has a turbo issue, could just be a boost leak not sure.

Besides that the car is mint, not a spec of rust and just as clean underneath..
Makes around 300 whp on 18 psi, has full stainless OBX exaust, FMIC, boost controller and a few other things but if you are interested or want more info email. Make an offer want it gone.

*comes with fairly new winters on rims and 17" pegs shown in pictures with shot tires

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

My experience went:

1. Buy Monte Carlo SS
2. Realize it really isn't that fast.
3. Dump shitloads of money into boat anchor 305.
4. Weep softly as the realization that I should have just dumped a 350 in it.

I loved that car. I wish I would have done the research and found out what a worthless lump the 305 is.

G-Body SSes are so cool. I almost had one for my first car, but the transmission was just too far hosed to be dealt with by a broke-rear end high school student.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

G-Body SSes are so cool. I almost had one for my first car, but the transmission was just too far hosed to be dealt with by a broke-rear end high school student.

There's a gorgeous MC SS locally for $7K and it's loving mint. Like 60K miles or something. It was very tempting.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Rhyno posted:

There's a gorgeous MC SS locally for $7K and it's loving mint. Like 60K miles or something. It was very tempting.

I've got a real soft spot for G-bodies. Everyone in high school had a g-body. They really weren't that great but drat if I don't love them anyway.

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

PREPARE FOR THE WOODSHED!
BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!
From the mouth of a death trap ae86 owner, that car represents most things I can't stand about the corolla "scene". The word "style" is used 6 times in that ad, which is thinly veiled feel-good speak for "fake". Sticker bombing and booger welding.

My car is no gem and has been cursed by some of the same mindset that produced that car, but drat.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

1. Weld chain onto 305

1) sell the 305 to an idiot who will cut up a mint '54 Ford to drop the pile of poo poo into
2) Buy a 5.3

There is a special place in hell for the special person who 305 swaps, but it happens, ALOT.
I have seen 305s put into:

1950 Ford F1
1941 Dodge Business Coupe
1986 Lotus Espirit

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Mighty Horse posted:

1986 Lotus Espirit

:cripes: The truck and the sled I can almost see (although nearly anything would be a million times better), but of all the things to put into a loving Esprit :psypop:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Lowclock posted:

(If it's a manual transmission) Why not just put an M60B40 in it? The engines are identical except for the intake manifold and of course displacement. From what I've read, you can even use your stock computer without reprogramming.

Are you sure about this? I have an 1995 E34 530i DD and a 1994 E34 540i with a bad transmission. Are you telling me that I really can just switch out engines and that's that?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DJ Commie posted:

In your opinion what shocks/dampers should be avoided? Who makes the best? Are the in-house brands (TRD and Nismo for example) any good?

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Mighty Horse posted:

1) sell the 305 to an idiot who will cut up a mint '54 Ford to drop the pile of poo poo into
2) Buy a 5.3

There is a special place in hell for the special person who 305 swaps, but it happens, ALOT.
I have seen 305s put into:

1950 Ford F1
1941 Dodge Business Coupe
1986 Lotus Espirit

I honestly think that the chev 350 is the best engine you can get in its price range. They're dirt cheap, they ran for close to 40 years and you can get a lot of horsepower out of them for cheap. Plus, every accessory and internal component is dirt cheap. You can buy a junker 350 and rebuild it to get 400 horsepower for under $1500 including machine work. The quadrajet 4 barrel carb that came stock on most of these 350's is a great carb as well. Say what you will about modern day GM engineering but back in the day they had it right.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Octopus Magic posted:

or something that's actually rebuildable by someone within a 300 mile radius. :sigh:

A while ago, when I was an idiot, I bought a Focus rally car with Leda shocks in the front. The seller was like, yeah, I used to ship them to England when I needed to rebuild them, but now there's a place in Ohio that'll do it!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Samu posted:

Say what you will about modern day GM engineering but back in the day they had it right.

They've still got it right. Every generation of the small block gets better.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

FIRST TIME posted:

Are you sure about this? I have an 1995 E34 530i DD and a 1994 E34 540i with a bad transmission. Are you telling me that I really can just switch out engines and that's that?

Pretty much. Maybe the ECU too... not much else really needs to be done. Same engine with just a bigger bore and stroke (I can't remember with out looking, but yeah, thats the gist of everything)

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Pretty much. Maybe the ECU too...
Not even, the B30 and B40 use the exact same software. The 530i will only have the middle-sized diff and trans, but they live fine behind modded M3s and stuff and shouldn't matter at all. Yes it is just that simple!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

I don't know why but the "illest" fad makes me irrationally angry. It basically reads ":smug:"

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

Based on the incredibly long mod list, isn't he going to be losing piles of money on this car at $5500?

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Someone tell me that isnt the fuel feed line on the right

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Trans Ferdinand posted:

Based on the incredibly long mod list, isn't he going to be losing piles of money on this car at $5500?

When you buy horribly made ebay parts junk probably not.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

animeliker posted:

In your opinion what shocks/dampers should be avoided? Who makes the best? Are the in-house brands (TRD and Nismo for example) any good?

Koni and Bilstein are almost always a better choice than a complete cheap coilover setup, pretty much any Japanese brand will be garbage: BC, Tein, etc have nice looking suspension with terrible damping characteristics. The Chinese knockoffs like Megan are even worse.

For not much more than a Chinese coilover set, Koni/Bilstein shocks, Ground Control coilover sleeves, and an Eibach spring would make for suspension good enough for just about everything. KW is probably one of the best mid-range suspensions, and once in the high end everyone has good stuff.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I don't know why but the "illest" fad makes me irrationally angry. It basically reads ":smug:"

The poor guy must be suffering from realness :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

DJ Commie posted:

Koni and Bilstein are almost always a better choice than a complete cheap coilover setup, pretty much any Japanese brand will be garbage: BC, Tein, etc have nice looking suspension with terrible damping characteristics. The Chinese knockoffs like Megan are even worse.

For not much more than a Chinese coilover set, Koni/Bilstein shocks, Ground Control coilover sleeves, and an Eibach spring would make for suspension good enough for just about everything. KW is probably one of the best mid-range suspensions, and once in the high end everyone has good stuff.

I don't know if you follow Miata stuff all that much, but apparently Flyin' Miata has some company in the Netherlands making their cheap coil over kits, and it makes me wonder if the company in "the Netherlands" gets them from China.

http://flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=4537&parentid=0&stocknumber=13-16210%20%201990-97%20NB

Was kinda tempting at $600 but I think I'd rather spend the money for a Koni/GC setup.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Crustashio posted:

Half of me is glad I missed out on this the first time around, half of me still wants it. Looks like it had some issues that the new owner ran into.

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-Volvo-850r-5cyl-turbo-300-whp-W0QQAdIdZ466560797

Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy!! This or an equivalent 740 would the last DD I'd ever own.

How much was it going for last time?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

DJ Commie posted:

The thing about most GC setups is that they have either no upper mounts or absolutely terribly engineered upper mounts (Although there are a lot of good guys out there like Vorschlag and such that you can use). If you have anything other than a McStrut suspension, you can get some bar none nasty engineered stuff that can cause some serious binding. Konis tend to be inconsistent between their own sets, valving wise. By far better than most of the stuff you see hucked out there.

IMHO by the time you spend the money on KWs Varient 3s or whatever you might as well spend the real cash and get an Ohlins/Bilstein/Whatever setup by the time you're done and then you're set for life. I'm just not really impressed with a non adjustable bodied shock that costs $2500 with no upper mounts. You could do Zeal also if you want a street coilover. Better than Koni but they fall on their face once you get to higher spring rates.

Like I said earlier, I'd probably do Hotbits over KW.

edit: Why i would prefer hotbits over KW: http://www.galantvr4.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Board=UBB11&Number=237543&page=6&fpart=1

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 23, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

How are the Bilstein coilovers? They seem reasonably priced, and compared to a Koni/Bilstein GC setup, after buying custom mounts and bump stops I'd be a couple hundred bucks away from Bilstein coilovers anyway.

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/20-1070pss9.html?gclid=CNDIyfXlkbYCFQ-znQodh2YA0w

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Lowclock posted:

Not even, the B30 and B40 use the exact same software. The 530i will only have the middle-sized diff and trans, but they live fine behind modded M3s and stuff and shouldn't matter at all. Yes it is just that simple!

Thanks for the info. I think might be causing me to catch a case of Auto Insanity over here, lord help me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DJ Commie posted:

Thank you. I autocross currently in a stock 1992 240sx, I will try that setup when suspension upgrades are needed.