Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

NoneSuch posted:

Is there any Fall of the Samurai mods which give generals more fun character traits? I find the generals to be super boring and I miss my old perverted crazy commanders from the earlier games.

I don't think there are any. I do miss the "organic" flavor and development you got in Medieval 2, even if you occasionally had a general become useless because he went insane or alcoholic. Actually, no, it was even better if you had a general go completely off the rails.

If I wanted to plan out a meticulous strategy to victory I'd play Civilization or something. Total War is for having my psychotic alcoholic general try to scrape out a victory with 16 archers and 4 horse against a perfect stack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Shorter Than Some posted:

I don't actually mind all the historical extras but the language bit seems odd to me, since it strikes me as more consistant with that theme to have them fully translated, as that way we get the same experience as we would if we lived at the time (insofar as a total war game can recreate that experience at all that is).

Without wanting to get too "history thread", multilingualism was very much part of antiquity. Indeed it still is in most of the world outside of the US. People might speak five different languages, and still need interpreters in order to conduct business. I think that recognizing that is good thing as it adds historical legitimacy. A certain amount of anachronism is okay: I think that it would be very off-putting if the game referred to the Celts and the Romans as the French and the Italians. On the other hand, I agree that it can be a bit overwhelming once you see a list of factions called the Averni, the Aedui, and the Romani instead - particularly when there's dozens of factions. But really you're only going to be fighting a handful of them at once.

Beyond that, I think that those little tidbits of culture help to craft the setting - I like playing in a world there's more of a difference between two armies than a flag and how many standardized spearman and archers there are. Of course at the point you've kind of left the realm of pure videogaming, and entered into a degree of roleplay/simulation that some folks just aren't interested in.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 22, 2013

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Ham posted:

Why do the actors on Rome have English accents? :qqsay:

I'm pretty sure the voice actors for Rome are Australians.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
TRIARII

Imperator?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The dude who yells out "Triarii!" is my most salient memory of RTW. That, and "WAR DOGS!"

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Kaal posted:

Without wanting to get too "history thread", multilingualism was very much part of antiquity. Indeed it still is in most of the world outside of the US. People might speak five different languages, and still need interpreters in order to conduct business. I think that recognizing that is good thing as it adds historical legitimacy. A certain amount of anachronism is okay: I think that it would be very off-putting if the game referred to the Celts and the Romans as the French and the Italians. On the other hand, I agree that it can be a bit overwhelming once you see a list of factions called the Averni, the Aedui, and the Romani instead - particularly when there's dozens of factions. But really you're only going to be fighting a handful of them at once.

Beyond that, I think that those little tidbits of culture help to craft the setting - I like playing in a world there's more of a difference between two armies than a flag and how many standardized spearman and archers there are. Of course at the point you've kind of left the realm of pure videogaming, and entered into a degree of roleplay/simulation that some folks just aren't interested in.

Yeah but my point is that the Romans would still call Carthage and all those other factions by some name familiar to them, yes you would of course encounter unfamiliar names for familiar places and so on, but when talking to your troops and planning you would be reffering to them by Roman names. so to be faced with an untranslated name when you are in effect playing as a Roman is actually more anachronistic.

Anyway, yeah this is getting to be a bit of a derail, but my main criticism was that it was an annoyance whose benefits were questionable anyway.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm pretty sure the voice actors for Rome are Australians.

He's talking about the HBO show.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

They have eye makeup, does this mean TWC is going to double meltdown?

edit:

BobTheSpy posted:

(as to whether they wore eye makeup, who the gently caress cares).

TWC cares you philistine!

ReV VAdAUL fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 22, 2013

BobTheSpy
Feb 12, 2012
Those are "machimoi" - native Egyptian troops employed by the Ptolemaic Empire. So it's actually pretty accurate (as to whether they wore eye makeup, who the gently caress cares).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I do hope they go differently from Rome 1 in one expect. Their units. They were horribly historically inaccurate, which is one thing, but also horribly boring. Can't even play the game anymore without mods. for better units.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The dude who yells out "Triarii!" is my most salient memory of RTW. That, and "WAR DOGS!"

There was a slinger unit that had some outrageously hardcore "SLINGARRRRS" who never got enough credit. It always made me smile because, come on dude, you're slingers not hardcore badasses.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Captain Beans posted:

There was a slinger unit that had some outrageously hardcore "SLINGARRRRS" who never got enough credit. It always made me smile because, come on dude, you're slingers not hardcore badasses.

Alexander, Julius Ceaser and Agustus were all seriously wounded by flying stones, don't underestimate a simple rock.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Captain Beans posted:

because, come on dude, you're slingers not hardcore badasses.

Joke's on you, slings are incredibly deadly and were basically the AK-47s (cheap, mass-produced, rugged and resilient, and requiring comparatively little training to use) of antiquity.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Joke's on you, slings are incredibly deadly and were basically the AK-47s (cheap, mass-produced, rugged and resilient, and requiring comparatively little training to use) of antiquity.

Which is kind of the point, they would have been used by anybodies.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Wait, didn't the original Rome advance 1 year per turn? I havent played it in a long time so I don't remember for sure, but it was significantly faster then Shogun 2.

EDIT: Found it, 6 months per turn. Does seem interesting in some regard, but I doubt it will actually matter.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 22, 2013

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Shorter Than Some posted:

Which is kind of the point, they would have been used by anybodies.

As I understand it skilled slingers were actually highly prized units in ancient warfare, and were frequently employed as elite mercenaries. The sling itself is a simple weapon, but learning to use it effectively in battle likely required just as much training as a bowman would, if not more.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Beans posted:

You never hired balearic slingers did you?

And yeah, Ancient Egypt had a trend of wearing makeup and looking like what we nowadays call effeminate. I'm not sure if it was a high hierarchical thing or throughout the whole of society, nor if it was actually a thing that still existed during sucessor rule.

They also prided themselves in having a belly and made sure to have the sculptures give them a little belly. The belly meant you were too busy to do manual labor, which meant you got flabby. It's kinda cute to see those little details. 4,000 year old chubby little bureaucrats :3:

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
They also made me look like an idiot when I was teaching that one of the thing common between different cultures was the taboo regarding incest. Then I remembered the Egyptian/Ptolemaic kings and I had to backtrack. God loving damnit I'm a terrible sociology teacher.

Also the Rome 1 soundtrack was loving awesome, time to get PUMPED!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KbXHIjKUBc

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
While the game has a lot of time to cover, I'd rather around 4 turns per year because I like to imagine the things that happen over the course of a TW campaign as like, actual things that are actually happening in this little emergent story, and a single war that lasts 40 years and sees two generals die of old age kind of puts a damper on that. Fortunately, this will probably be trivial to mod. I couldn't care less if this means some new formation or tactic emerges 80 years before it did in real life or something.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Electric Pope posted:

While the game has a lot of time to cover, I'd rather around 4 turns per year because I like to imagine the things that happen over the course of a TW campaign as like, actual things that are actually happening in this little emergent story, and a single war that lasts 40 years and sees two generals die of old age kind of puts a damper on that. Fortunately, this will probably be trivial to mod. I couldn't care less if this means some new formation or tactic emerges 80 years before it did in real life or something.

Yeah I'm actually one of those crazy people that likes a ridiculously long number of turns. The short campaigns that you got in Napoleon are their own thing, but for the big ones I always end up regretting not upping the turns if I actually get into it. I don't finish most campaigns anyway, and the ones that I do are usually the campaigns that engaged me so much I wish I didn't have to finish.

But yes, unless something goes utter bananas in Rome 2 development it'll be incredibly easy to mod; there was a functional mod for it in ETW, even.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Mans posted:

And yeah, Ancient Egypt had a trend of wearing makeup and looking like what we nowadays call effeminate. I'm not sure if it was a high hierarchical thing or throughout the whole of society, nor if it was actually a thing that still existed during sucessor rule.

I thought the make up thing was to avoid the sun's scorching radiance. :sun:

By the way - CA didn't release a beta or anything for Shogun 2, right?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Azran posted:

By the way - CA didn't release a beta or anything for Shogun 2, right?

They released a demo.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Electric Pope posted:

This is something that it seems extremely easy for CA to implement into the game, a la the Civilization normal/epic/marathon settings. Hopefully they will include it.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I actually prefer short campaigns most of the time, I always get bored before I even get close to finishing a long one.

I think Barbarian Invasion, Napoleon, and Shogun are the only games where I've finished campaigns.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Okay, there's something weird here - I take the Monomi Spy retainer, the one that buffs Kisho Ninja and makes gates start open in siege battles when you are the one attacking, and when the match actually starts the following stuff happens:

a) Gates close themselves.
b) All arrow towers start to burn.

:stare:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

They released a demo.

Ah memories...I'd forgotten that everyone was still so burned by Empire back then that they were insanely cynical about Shogun 2.

quote:

I actually prefer short campaigns most of the time, I always get bored before I even get close to finishing a long one.

I think Barbarian Invasion, Napoleon, and Shogun are the only games where I've finished campaigns.

Yeah. I think long campaigns sound a lot more fun and satisfying when you're on that selection screen about to boot up a game then they really are. "I'm just going to mess around and get all the research and all the fun toys and..." and then you get like 60-80 turns in and realize none of that takes nearly as long as you were expecting (Except that one hero or top-end tech that you'd win the game twice before you managed to field it) and you're already kinda bored and curb-stomping everyone.

Realm Divide helped a bit, even if it was wonky. Total War Games could really use a more satisfying endgame. There's always that point where winning means grabbing a few more provinces and that's just an accounting trick by the time you already have an empire.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I sorta hope they make it a bit more gamey, I want them to throw events at me like invasion forces and plagues to mix things up a bit and I hope at some point rebellion and civil wars are unpreventable.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Thinking about re-installing this or Napoleon...

Did any mods ever fix sieges? (Or patches, basically the idiotic AI and pathfinding on the walls etc.)

What are the big / best TC mods out now for this?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The AI in Napoleon is never going to get 'fixed' because only the developers have the (no doubt long lost) tools and information on how to tool around with the NTW engine.

Also, the Black Sheep of the TW franchise Empire and all the DLC is on sale on STEAM as cheap as it will get for those waiting for an oppotunity to buy and check it out.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

NoneSuch posted:

I hope at some point rebellion and civil wars are unpreventable.

That's definitely the way the recent pcgamer article made it sound. Each faction has 3 dynasties/sub factions you pick from and you'll eventually have to deal with the other 2. I'd be interesting if they took the faction system from rise where each side has fluctuating support in certain provinces but I'm not expecting anything more than provinces just randomly flipping when a civil war breaks out.

It'd also be nice if they made the things that apply to you apply to the AI. It was weird in shogun 2 how an AI clan could take the rest of the map and take Kyoto but not piss off the shogun in the process but as soon as the player takes one more province over the arbitrary limit then it's gloves off. Even if you were just retaking a province you just lost a turn ago it could still trigger realm divide. Coalitions/civil war should still happen if an AI country gets too big.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Trujillo posted:

It'd also be nice if they made the things that apply to you apply to the AI. It was weird in shogun 2 how an AI clan could take the rest of the map and take Kyoto but not piss off the shogun in the process but as soon as the player takes one more province over the arbitrary limit then it's gloves off. Even if you were just retaking a province you just lost a turn ago it could still trigger realm divide. Coalitions/civil war should still happen if an AI country gets too big.

One of my biggest disappointments with RTW was the AI never had to suffer the roman civil war. I was all set up for a "barbarians at the gates" thing and they just kept on expanding

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Finally got around to playing Rise of the Samurai. I think I like this more than the base campaign, and I'm absolutely in love with the influence/allegiance mechanic. I hope they keep that mechanic for Rome 2, being able to commit political/economic warfare is fantastic and makes a lot more sense than just straight up bribing provinces.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I've been thinking of getting Napoleon. After playing Shogun 2 and FOTS, is there anything I'd miss? I jumped straight from Medieval 2 to Shogun 2, so I have no idea which improvements to the formula belong to Shogun 2.

I want some european musket action. :v:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I didn't like it at first, but once you get the hang of it, its decently entertaining. Seems to run more sluggishly than shogun does on my PC though.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
What are some good mods for Shogun 2/Rise/Fall I've been meaning to get back into the games,and maybe finish one finally.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

dbzfandiego posted:

What are some good mods for Shogun 2/Rise/Fall I've been meaning to get back into the games,and maybe finish one finally.

I have to ask this too. I tried out Darthmod for vanilla campaign and while I think it's actually pretty decent, the morale changes are a pretty dumb and kind of kill it for me. It makes morale a non-issue for everything as ashigaru units last just as long as samurai units do so you have castle sieges, or even land battles, that cost you entire armies of samurai units because ashigaru just smash into them and chew them out by sheer numbers. Are there any mods out there that are similar to Darthmod but aren't interested in breaking gameplay mechanics for the sake of "longer battles"?

I tried another Rise campaign (without Darthmod) and I've come to the conclusion that I suck at that expansion. It just plays so radically different than vanilla and you just don't make a lot of income while everything costs an arm and a leg. Also doesn't help that Taira pretty much start with an insane advantage, having vassals and ninjas right off the bat.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

So, vanilla Shogun 2 archers. I'm not sure how to use them in single player. Should I be trying to murder just enough of the enemy's archers so that I can ignore their return fire for a while and concentrate on their melee troops? If I kill too many of their archers they up and charge, which is great for getting them off of hills, but bad because my archers don't have time to be effective before they're shooting into the melee and killing my troops.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I like using them to soften up the enemies archers and kill routing units. If I have a couple of good archer units, they'll ensure that any unit running away isn't coming back with anywhere close to the numbers they should have. If you can spare a unit to guard them, you can flank with them so shooting into the melee won't screw your own troops so badly.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Tommofork posted:

So, vanilla Shogun 2 archers. I'm not sure how to use them in single player. Should I be trying to murder just enough of the enemy's archers so that I can ignore their return fire for a while and concentrate on their melee troops? If I kill too many of their archers they up and charge, which is great for getting them off of hills, but bad because my archers don't have time to be effective before they're shooting into the melee and killing my troops.

As I recall, I had a fairly simple formula for this. If your archers outnumber/are superior to the enemy's archers, stand off and slaughter their archers, fire into their melee when they charge, and then maneuver to continue firing into the melee at an angle that preferably doesn't kill more of your men than theirs. If their archers outnumber/are superior to yours, set up your melee for a charge and get your archers to concentrate fire on the enemy melee.

Both ways, the goal is for your archers to soften up the enemy battle line as much as possible while keeping your own melee line as safe from bombardment as you can. The way I see it, any losses your side takes from friendly fire is outweighed by the enemy's archers not firing directly at them and by the casualties the other side is also taking from your fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Samurai units are armoured, and so will take fewer losses from arrow fire. If you shoot at unarmoured targets, you'll kill more enemy soldiers. You should prioritise valuable vulnerable units, i.e. warrior monks, generals, matchlock ashigaru. If you concentrate all your fire (3-4 unit's worth) onto 1 unit, you should be able to rout it before it can reach your lines. Also, a concentrated volley can (with a bit of luck) completely blunt a cavalry charge.

Guns completely ignore armour, so you should focus on armoured high-value targets with them.