Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Wario In Real Life posted:

http://everyplay.com/videos/31556

"It's not the size of your snake, it's how you use it."

Also the movespeed buff is the most evil thing in the world. Once you get used to playing with it, regular gameplay feels like literal quicksand. I'm highly contemplating dumping $5 on tokens so that I never have to worry about playing without it.

You should be easily finding a token or two each game though right? Also you can get up to 20 free tokens a day watching video ads if you're into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Yeah it's usually not that huge of a problem, but those few games where I don't have any tokens and have to play without it until I get a token are miserable.

I still actually prefer not to use the speed buff in the Arena though, as I think the slower movespeed gives you more time to attack.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Feenix posted:

Whats up with this Canadian soft-release of this Firaxis game, Haunted Hollow?

Any good? Anyone try it?

I just downloaded it.
It's pretty fun, pushes iap like crazy, and the CPU ai has some problems, dudes walking back and forth, less than optimal decisions etc.

Generally it's pretty fun.
Like another guy said, it plays like a board game.
You build up your little monster mansion, unlocking more powerful monsters as you do so, and your goal is to scare people out of their houses and into a church.

The iap seems to be for unlocking different sets of monster armies and to give you more options for items when your army goes up a level in game.

It's free, so it's worth the download.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

So let's say I wanted to get one of the FF games while they're on sale. Which would be best? I'm kinda tempted by 3 or 4, but other than that, I dunno.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Teddybear posted:

So let's say I wanted to get one of the FF games while they're on sale. Which would be best? I'm kinda tempted by 3 or 4, but other than that, I dunno.

They're all pretty antiquated by today's standards, even with updated graphics. The story, combat/job mechanics, save systems, world map, etc. are all pretty rough. I think the only traditional FF games worth playing are 2, 6, and 8. Maybe 4, and 7 if only to experience that part of ~*gaming history*~ but ehh.. I'd pass on all of these remakes were I you.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 22, 2013

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
FF 4 is pretty good. I was never SUPER into it when I was younger, but I played the PSP update and enjoyed it.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Four is great, but pricey, if you're in to silly challenge runs and a plethora of ways to run a party one might be fine, if it has the bonus dungeons there's a decent bit of content in 1. Two has a rediculous level up system I really enjoy, and that can be used to break the game hard if you're so inclined. Three is not something I can recommend in good conscience, but it has a 5-ish(ISH) job system in place if that's your sort of thing.

If character customization is your thing four is kind of a miss, set jobs and so on, but a good game nonetheless.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

The problem with FF3 and FF4 on the iOS is they are the new versions. The new versions are basically hard mode for the veteran fans. FF3 nerfed the best classes, basically tripled all enemies and boss health, and gave bosses better attacks. So now you can still deal with dungeons with no saves, but die by bullshit kill your whole team boss moves. FF4 is a little nicer but still very difficult. There are straight random encounters you can't win if they pick their best attacks (flame hounds :argh:). You can break the difficulty of the game, but you would never guess how without a guide.

There are let's play of both games right now so you can check them out if you want to see how far the bullshit goes.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants
I miss their sprites for those games. I'd rather they remake them with HD sprites than 3d traingly dudes.
Some of those fights were plenty tough on their own without having to up the difficulty either.

I figure if you really want to play the games, you'd be better off getting an older version of them.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
FF4: You Spoony Bard. :allears:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Juc66 posted:

I miss their sprites for those games. I'd rather they remake them with HD sprites than 3d traingly dudes.

Yeah I dislike the chibi 3rd artwork and I REALLY hate the RPGmaker artstyle.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
http://everyplay.com/videos/31867

Gettin' blazed on gold.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
http://appshopper.com/games/strategy-tactics-world-war-ii

The game that we thought was going to be Hearts Of Iron but ended up being an indie dev production is finally out! Nicely enough it's free to download and play the first three scenarios and then £5 / $? To unlock the full game.

Early impressions are good, I don't believe the full grand strategy of ww2 is in it, it's broken down into individual campaigns but I don't know if it would have been feasible to do the full thing anyway? Anyways, I successfully moved some infantry and tanks around and conquered the odd country, as you do!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

goferchan posted:

Oh yeah I would have told you to sleep on that one, sorry. It's the first deckbuilding game I played that made me realize its come into its own as a genre enough since Dominion that we're seeing lovely, uninspired cash-ins.

Like the recently announced WoW-based CCG?

Bummey posted:

They're all pretty antiquated by today's standards, even with updated graphics. The story, combat/job mechanics, save systems, world map, etc. are all pretty rough. I think the only traditional FF games worth playing are 2, 6, and 8. Maybe 4, and 7 if only to experience that part of ~*gaming history*~ but ehh.. I'd pass on all of these remakes were I you.

No matter the version you play, FF2 is a pretty bad and grind-heavy game even if you just focus on trivializing it with a team of people spamming max-level Toad. On the bright side once you max Toad on someone the hidden minigame gives out stuff like Masamune, Aegis Shield, and Genji gear as rewards.

triplexpac posted:

FF 4 is pretty good. I was never SUPER into it when I was younger, but I played the PSP update and enjoyed it.

The PSP and iOS versions are not the same. The iOS version is the poorly balanced DS version.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Like the recently announced WoW-based CCG?
That has more in common with Shadow Era (which is basically a clone of the actual WoW TCG) than Dominion. It's more of a "lovely" MTG cash-in which they probably should of brought to digital years ago.

Edit: Someone made a post in the Blizzard subforum on how some of the mechanics play out.

Al Baron fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 23, 2013

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
I should probably stop posting this since the game isn't even out yet (or at least save them for the eventual NQ thread), but drat this game is like crack.

http://everyplay.com/videos/31896

Really efficient run here with the added bonus of a couple tokens and 2k gems. Felt like I was absolutely steamrolling things and the only death came when I walked into myself. So much fun.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

No matter the version you play, FF2 is a pretty bad and grind-heavy game even if you just focus on trivializing it with a team of people spamming max-level Toad. On the bright side once you max Toad on someone the hidden minigame gives out stuff like Masamune, Aegis Shield, and Genji gear as rewards.

Uh, wait, which one is 2? Is 2 the one wh... and 4, for that matter. Which is the one where you have a job-based character system and you have to wander around and, like, do some poo poo with elemental crystals around the world? The fire crystal is on a boat. That's about all I remember. That one was okay. 3 is the one where you can only save on the world map and you'll lose hours of progress if you shut the game down 99% through a dungeon, right? gently caress that one. Is that dragoon guy with the C name in 2? Oh wait, that's, like, every FF game ever made. Okay, so just 6 and 8, and maybe 7 if you need to know All That poo poo That People Couldn't Shut Up About in the late 90s.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 23, 2013

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
So I have been doing some Real Racing lately and I'm pretty impressed with the game overall. The downside though is how heavily it relies on the TSM friends for generating cash part, since all my friends on game center are only there for playing Letterpress I would love it if some goons would love me and race cars with me. My gamecenter name is Cuw and I play all sorts of games besides RR3 it's just this is the game that is currently holding my attention since I just beat Ridiculous Fishing.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Bummey posted:

Uh, wait, which one is 2? Is 2 the one wh... and 4, for that matter. Which is the one where you have a job-based character system and you have to wander around and, like, do some poo poo with elemental crystals around the world? The fire crystal is on a boat. That's about all I remember. That one was okay. 3 is the one where you can only save on the world map and you'll lose hours of progress if you shut the game down 99% through a dungeon, right? gently caress that one. Is that dragoon guy with the C name in 2? Oh wait, that's, like, every FF game ever made. Okay, so just 6 and 8, and maybe 7 if you need to know All That poo poo That People Couldn't Shut Up About in the late 90s.
2 was almost identical to 1, but with more grinding and spiked difficulty. 4 was the one with the knights that jumped, spoony bards, and that hilarious scene with the magical twins on the mountain. 5 was the one with the job systems and I think elemental crystals. 6 is the one that everyone remembers playing on the SNES, with Celes and Gau and Locke and blah.

3... I honestly have no idea.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Bummey posted:

The fire crystal on the boat and jobs is FF5 which is coming out. FF3 has the original (lovely) job system.

Cecil the paladin is in FF4 (Kain is his dragoon buddy)

I think FF1-3 have save only in the world map. Though I think the remake of FF1 has saves.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Which is the non-lovely Final Fantasy?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Trick question.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

Captain Matchbox posted:

Crystal Chronicles

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Rap Game Forum Mod posted:

Crystal Chronicles

Fuckin confirmed. I loved the poo poo out of that game.

ZephroDyne
Feb 14, 2007

(*ΦωΦ) <I am nekocat
Tactics is the best you can get on an ios device imo.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Matchbox posted:

Mystic Quest :colbert:

Bummey
May 26, 2004

The Game Boy FFs were all pretty good, too. That's right. :colbert:

Probably because they had nothing to do with FF proper.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I was going to say Final Fantasy Legends 2 with a Mystic Quest comedy option, but it looks like those are already taken so Final Fantasy 8.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Cryin Burnigan posted:

So I have been doing some Real Racing lately and I'm pretty impressed with the game overall. The downside though is how heavily it relies on the TSM friends for generating cash part, since all my friends on game center are only there for playing Letterpress I would love it if some goons would love me and race cars with me. My gamecenter name is Cuw and I play all sorts of games besides RR3 it's just this is the game that is currently holding my attention since I just beat Ridiculous Fishing.

Sent you a friend request if anyone wants to add me it's: elkwill

halwain
May 31, 2011
Are there any good turn-based strategy games (i tried civ revolution but i really didnt like it compared to the pc-civ games), city builders/simulations or roguelikes on the ipad?

pinchet
Oct 18, 2002

lobstarrrrr!!
God damnit can someone help me with Helsing's Fire if you still have it installed? I've been trying this one level for a week or something now, and I feel like once I get it it will be simple.

Does the tonic order on level 68 go green -> blue -> blue -> red -> green ? If so, I can't seem to isolate just the blue guys for the second blue tonic. So annoying!!

EDIT: AND JUST AFTER POSTING THIS I FIGURED IT OUT, FIGURES

pinchet fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 23, 2013

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

halwain posted:

Are there any good turn-based strategy games (i tried civ revolution but i really didnt like it compared to the pc-civ games), city builders/simulations or roguelikes on the ipad?

final fantasy tactics is a pretty good turn based strategy game, there's actually a few pretty good ones but that's my favourite.
I can't really help for the other two things though.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Probably the last codes I'll post here for Nimble Quest, here ya go!

P6EPH6XYETXK
9JTYRFAMHWEP
3KKJENFYYF7E
6FPK7PFET6PR

Kaster Troy
Feb 8, 2010

eeenmachine posted:

6FPK7PFET6PR

Thanks, I grabbed the bottom one.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Got the third. Interested in seeing how much has changed since the first beta.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants
haha, man, the instant I saw that post all of those codes were already redeemed.

How much is the game going to be when it comes out?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Well drat. I cancelled the download on my Macbook and now I can't find the app to download on my phone. It's not in the purchased tab either.

FatalT
Sep 11, 2001

I'm BLUE da ba dee da ba di, da ba dee da ba di, da ba dee...

eeenmachine posted:

P6EPH6XYETXK
9JTYRFAMHWEP
3KKJENFYYF7E
6FPK7PFET6PR

To save anyone else time, they're all taken. :(

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Juc66 posted:

haha, man, the instant I saw that post all of those codes were already redeemed.

It's free, the codes are just for the early access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Juc66 posted:

It will be free.

• Locked thread