Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i like Ham
Dec 25, 2006

I'm a big fancy business man. Mind if I check you'r prostate?

Shadowhand00 posted:

Random question about reimbursements and traveling:

Every week, I have to drive to San Francisco (about 50 mile round trip). This is related to some meetings I have to attend outside of my home office to our satellite in SF. I use my personal car, I drive from home, and I have to pay for parking in the city once I get there. I've been putting this on expense reports and making sure its accurate and everything.[

I've been asking around to a few people about whether they ever get reimbursed. It seems like no one ever thinks to get reimbursed for this expense.

So I know my coworkers are generally clueless about this so I will probably continue to get reimbursed for my travel. My real question comes from a comment made earlier in the thread - how is getting reimbursed generally looked upon by the management+? Is it based on average expense/employee or are these situations generally looked at based on situation?

Much like Belldandy, I'd have to ask whether it is a customer facing or internal meeting. If it is customer facing, and certainly if it is something your company is billing for I would be comfortable expensing it. If it is an internal meeting and it's only 25 miles each way I would never try to expense it. I guess you could argue that the parking should be covered either way, but I can't imagine trying to get mileage reimbursement for a 50 mile round-trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

i like Ham posted:

Much like Belldandy, I'd have to ask whether it is a customer facing or internal meeting. If it is customer facing, and certainly if it is something your company is billing for I would be comfortable expensing it. If it is an internal meeting and it's only 25 miles each way I would never try to expense it. I guess you could argue that the parking should be covered either way, but I can't imagine trying to get mileage reimbursement for a 50 mile round-trip.

Sorry, to clarify, its about 100 miles (Cupertino to SF). If it was 25 miles, that's just a normal commute as far as I can see. Parking's about $12-$30 depending on the day so I'd definitely expense that.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Shadowhand00 posted:

Sorry, to clarify, its about 100 miles (Cupertino to SF). If it was 25 miles, that's just a normal commute as far as I can see. Parking's about $12-$30 depending on the day so I'd definitely expense that.

Ok, that's all well and good, but is it internal or customer facing? If it is internal you should not be expensing mileage or parking.

i like Ham
Dec 25, 2006

I'm a big fancy business man. Mind if I check you'r prostate?
Once again, I'm with Belldandy, and I think I was a bit unclear on the last post. While I think the argument could be made that when you are working at a satellite office where you are required to pay for parking you should be able to expense it, I know I certainly wouldn't.

In my opinion perception of travel expense can be very dependent on your direct manager and the general atmosphere of your company. In a smaller company with a boss who is pretty relaxed about travel expense I don't see there being any problem there, but that would be about the only situation. If I were in that situation I would be asking myself "is it really worth the risk?", the risk in this case being a general bad perception of me as an employee by management. I don't think you would ever get fired for expensing something like that, certainly not without them specifically telling you that it is out-of-policy; but that doesn't mean it looks good.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

See what your company's regs are; it's probably written down somewhere. My employer doesn't pay for POV costs less than or equal to your normal daily commute if you go somewhere else, but anything over that you get paid for.

If your office is one of those "well you can but GOOD EMPLOYEES DON'T AND YOU WANT TO BE GOOD DON'T YOU ;)" places then I don't know, don't ask for it unless you drive a monster truck or something.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shadowhand00 posted:

It really comes down to if it counts as a commute or not. I live almost a thousand miles from our closest office, so obviously the rare trips I take in are expensed. If I lived across town, or if it was in greater South Florida (I live at the south end of Miami, there's about a hundred miles of urban area north of me,) it probably wouldn't be worth expensing.

In the past, I've expensed a five mile drive to a customer event though.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The closest comparison I can make to that is the drive to the airport for me. My company will allow you to expense the mileage between the building you work in and the airport parking lot, which works out to about $15 round trip. But if you don't put it down on the expense report they won't add it.

$15 doesn't sound like much but as much as I was traveling the past few years that added $300-$400 a year. Hell yes was I going to write that down every time. Otherwise you are just taking a small pay cut via the mileage you are putting on your car.

I live 30 miles away from work and don't expect them to pay for my commute, because that drive is my decision. The drive to the airport is theirs.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I definitely could have been a bit more clear about why I was required to travel to SF on a weekly basis. That being said, since its a required bit of travel which essentially costs me $16. I agree with Thoguh though in regards to the travel being the decision of the company - I make my daily commute on my bicycle because its my personal choice not to put mileage/wear and tear on my car, but when I'm required to travel that 100 miles, I'm essentially taking a small pay cut over the course of the year.

I do understand the need to "be a good employee" but my company is pretty inconsistent in regards to what actually makes a good employee.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ask for it, if they fire you over that it's a lovely place anyway and you would have gotten canned for running up the water bill by using the bathroom too many times or something.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Midjack posted:

Ask for it, if they fire you over that it's a lovely place anyway and you would have gotten canned for running up the water bill by using the bathroom too many times or something.

This makes me laugh so much.

This is my first year actually traveling this much. Almost at Southwest A-list!

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Shadowhand00 posted:

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I definitely could have been a bit more clear about why I was required to travel to SF on a weekly basis. That being said, since its a required bit of travel which essentially costs me $16. I agree with Thoguh though in regards to the travel being the decision of the company - I make my daily commute on my bicycle because its my personal choice not to put mileage/wear and tear on my car, but when I'm required to travel that 100 miles, I'm essentially taking a small pay cut over the course of the year.

I do understand the need to "be a good employee" but my company is pretty inconsistent in regards to what actually makes a good employee.

So, should I assume this is internal only then? You still haven't answered that. In most companies, for people who have to report in to an office downtown they usually have to eat parking and/or transportation. Cupertino to SF isn't exactly a LONG HIKE considering the average commute for someone in the US is around 60 miles. Don't be surprised if you receive disciplinary action or have your expenses rejected.

Belldandy fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 22, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Shadowhand00 posted:

This makes me laugh so much.

This is my first year actually traveling this much. Almost at Southwest A-list!

Shame it's on Southwest :v:

For the meeting expense if its internal and not previously agreed that you will expense these costs, why would you expense them? The meeting is in your geographic region and you choose to live where you live. I live 15 minutes from my office but that is 95% of my weekly driving and I don't expense it. It's my common sense responsibility to get to the office when I need to.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Belldandy posted:

So, should I assume this is internal only then? You still haven't answered that. In most companies, for people who have to report in to an office downtown they usually have to eat parking and/or transportation. Cupertino to SF isn't exactly a LONG HIKE considering the average commute for someone in the US is around 60 miles. Don't be surprised if you receive disciplinary action or have your expenses rejected.

sellouts posted:

Shame it's on Southwest :v:

For the meeting expense if its internal and not previously agreed that you will expense these costs, why would you expense them? The meeting is in your geographic region and you choose to live where you live. I live 15 minutes from my office but that is 95% of my weekly driving and I don't expense it. It's my common sense responsibility to get to the office when I need to.

Its an internal meeting. Its been previously agreed upon that these were meetings that I could expense. My question stemmed from why people might or might not expense this in the first place and how my expensing these trips would be perceived. Apologies for not being very clear initially and making this into a multiple page question.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shadowhand00 posted:

Its an internal meeting. Its been previously agreed upon that these were meetings that I could expense. My question stemmed from why people might or might not expense this in the first place and how my expensing these trips would be perceived. Apologies for not being very clear initially and making this into a multiple page question.

If there's an agreement, use it until it stops.

Thoguh posted:

The closest comparison I can make to that is the drive to the airport for me. My company will allow you to expense the mileage between the building you work in and the airport parking lot, which works out to about $15 round trip. But if you don't put it down on the expense report they won't add it.

I've never worked somewhere I couldn't expense the trip from my house to the airport, although one job only did the difference between home-airport and home-office, which was weird and unfortunate when I ended up moving closer to the airport.

Current job has a short and easy-to-read document of travel/expense rules. I'd recommend finding one of those.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I'm waitlisted for a business class upgrade for the transatlantic part of my trip to Scotland in a couple months :ohdear:

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Current job has a short and easy-to-read document of travel/expense rules. I'd recommend finding one of those.

ITs funny. They have a great travel document for our China developers. Per diem rules, how much you can spend on hotels, airlines, etc. Nothing for the US people. Just a vague, "oh, just expense whatever you use." So passive aggressive.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shadowhand00 posted:

ITs funny. They have a great travel document for our China developers. Per diem rules, how much you can spend on hotels, airlines, etc. Nothing for the US people. Just a vague, "oh, just expense whatever you use." So passive aggressive.

If you're one of those "I will light my way by the bridges I burn" people, you can make them write that document by gradually ramping up the decadence.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I'm waitlisted for a business class upgrade for the transatlantic part of my trip to Scotland in a couple months :ohdear:

You will probably clear close to departure but if you want to remind me closer to the date I should still have an active KVS subscription and can check specific loads if you'd like.

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
Sup fellow travelers. United/SPG guy here.

Quick question: I'm going a bit stir-crazy during the week. Occasionally there are nights I have a couple hours to kill before bed, what do you all do to keep busy on the road? I've been tearing through books but would like to hear what other people do away from home during the week.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

That isn't at all uncommon. Can we ask what airline?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

salted hash browns posted:

Quick question: I'm going a bit stir-crazy during the week. Occasionally there are nights I have a couple hours to kill before bed, what do you all do to keep busy on the road? I've been tearing through books but would like to hear what other people do away from home during the week.

If you're a video game guy a PSP, DS, Vita, or other handheld system can eat a lot of time. Books are still my favorite. On some long trips I've bought a plastic model and put it together in my down time at night, though I don't paint the ones I build like this.

kansas
Dec 3, 2012

Do the work that I pretend to do on Friday.

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

kansas posted:

Do the work that I pretend to do on Friday.

Well this is a given :)

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Hookers and blow. Duh.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Do you guys know exactly when US Airways will be leaving *A? I have an extremely long-haul flight in mid-July that I want to book, and it seems the best routes are through US Airways. I definitely want to collect MileagePlus miles for it, and I'm worried that if I book now and they leave before mid-July, I won't be able to collect. Safer to just pay a bit more and go Air Canada or United from the get-go?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Small White Dragon posted:

That isn't at all uncommon. Can we ask what airline?

AA; I'm not too worried about being waitlisted, I've never had one not go through when I pay with miles. Those 500-mile vouchers are worthless though.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

I go out and get drunk at a bar, I thought that's what everyone did? When I'm not doing that I tend to read books, do work, or attempt to learn. You guys should all check out Coursera.org if you haven't seen it before. It is a site that provides completely free online classes from well known/respected universities. I push this on all of my friends but it really helps kill time when I'm traveling (assuming the internet is good enough to actually load the videos anyway).

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Pissingintowind posted:

Do you guys know exactly when US Airways will be leaving *A? I have an extremely long-haul flight in mid-July that I want to book, and it seems the best routes are through US Airways. I definitely want to collect MileagePlus miles for it, and I'm worried that if I book now and they leave before mid-July, I won't be able to collect. Safer to just pay a bit more and go Air Canada or United from the get-go?
I believe there's a six month transition period, and the merger hasn't even approved yet so I'm guessing that hasn't started. You should be fine.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

AA; I'm not too worried about being waitlisted, I've never had one not go through when I pay with miles. Those 500-mile vouchers are worthless though.
Really? What's your status and/or what routes do you travel? I work with several AA elites of varying levels, and they seem to get good use out of them.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yep I get good use for them unless I'm flying between hubs or booking last minute fares.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

Yep I get good use for them unless I'm flying between hubs or booking last minute fares.

That would be it; the only reason I fly AA is because MIA is a hub for them.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Are you based out of MIA? I am thinking about moving there cause, well, it's warm and I'd pay a lot lot lot lot less taxes and MIA is a good AA hub. Any "gotchas" I should know about hubbing out of MIA with AA?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

The MIA-LAX route can be a difficult one for upgrades, in my experience.

Belldandy posted:

Are you based out of MIA? I am thinking about moving there cause, well, it's warm and I'd pay a lot lot lot lot less taxes and MIA is a good AA hub. Any "gotchas" I should know about hubbing out of MIA with AA?
Where are you based out of, now? The AA upgrade procedure does, within the same elite status group, prioritize connecting passengers.

But no state income tax is loving AWESOME :hf:

(I'm from another part of the state.)

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Small White Dragon posted:

The MIA-LAX route can be a difficult one for upgrades, in my experience.

Where are you based out of, now? The AA upgrade procedure does, within the same elite status group, prioritize connecting passengers.

But no state income tax is loving AWESOME :hf:

(I'm from another part of the state.)

Yeah, that's fine. I live in an area that is incredibly hard to travel to, plus they are giving CK members priority over EXP I hear, which will be neat. I am just really tired of 14 hour+ door to door travel cycles.

P.S. How is everyone doing with their miles? I just hit 75,000 this past week and have no travel (!) planned this week, which is a nice change. Hoping I can hit EXP again by the end of April.

Belldandy fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 25, 2013

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Belldandy posted:

P.S. How is everyone doing with their miles? I just hit 75,000 this past week and have no travel (!) planned this week, which is a nice change. Hoping I can hit EXP again by the end of April.

Not well. My travel has been very stunted this year. Which has some very positive impacts to things like my home life, my health, and my ability to keep up with my friends. But it is almost the end of March and I only have 23,000 miles with no trips planned. drat it, I need at least 50k to get Gold! I got Platinum on Delta last year and now I'm barely using it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Belldandy posted:

Get precheck, preferably through global entry and not AA elite, as MIA security lines can be terrible.

I'm sure you already have this though!

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

sellouts posted:

Get precheck, preferably through global entry and not AA elite, as MIA security lines can be terrible.

I'm sure you already have this though!

Wayyyy ahead of you on that. I travel to Brazil a lot, usually through MIA and am very familiar with the awfulness of the security lines. :mad:

Thoguh posted:

Not well. My travel has been very stunted this year. Which has some very positive impacts to things like my home life, my health, and my ability to keep up with my friends. But it is almost the end of March and I only have 23,000 miles with no trips planned. drat it, I need at least 50k to get Gold! I got Platinum on Delta last year and now I'm barely using it.

Pfft, family and health? Overrated!

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness

Belldandy posted:

Yeah, that's fine. I live in an area that is incredibly hard to travel to, plus they are giving CK members priority over EXP I hear, which will be neat. I am just really tired of 14 hour+ door to door travel cycles.

I'm stuck doing the weekly grind between NYC and DC, so I've only got enough to renew silver so far. I've got a couple of trips to Asia coming up, so hopefully enough to renew Gold. I may have to do some mileage runs to maintain Platinum if my DC project goes on for the rest of the year. Bleh.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Belldandy posted:

Did zero flying in March (I did rack up some sweet sweet Holiday Inn points though!!!) but April is looking good. I'm looking at least 14k miles in April already and we're still getting crushed with requests so I might get to sneak another trip in. I'll be Silver Preferred on US by the end of April and hopefully easily make Gold Preferred by the end of the year. Still waiting to hear how the US/AA merger will affect us lower end frequent flyers. I'm Gold through the end of 2013 and hoping to maintain at least that through 2014 so I won't get burned too badly.

Has anyone been keeping up with the US/AA merger?

kansas
Dec 3, 2012

Belldandy posted:

plus they are giving CK members priority over EXP I hear, which will be neat.

Curious - where did you hear this rumor? Didn't see anything about it on FT / TB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Belldandy posted:

I don't know of any gotchas; and if AA ends up sucking, FLL is like twenty miles north.