Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

lol internet. posted:

$15 is a bit steep for a hd remastered. Wasn't SF2 on XBL/PSN only 10 bucks?

I think it was 15, but either way XBLA/PSN game prices have been climbing since then. If released now, Im sure it wouldve been 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Videotendo
Jan 5, 2011

Button Masher
Considering it's a game built from scratch and not just an HD coating, $15 seems fair to me.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Does anybody have any DIY fixes for the volume slider on the original 3DS? All sounds are loud even when the slider is at the quietest setting.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Your going to need to open your 3ds and get at the insides more than likely. If I had to guess, the plastic slider has come off of the dial or whatever and just needs to be popped back on.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Stravinsky posted:

Your going to need to open your 3ds and get at the insides more than likely. If I had to guess, the plastic slider has come off of the dial or whatever and just needs to be popped back on.

I opened it up and checked. It was off, but the problem persists after getting everything back in place.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I think the volume pot has gotten jacked up then. More than likely its a loose connection.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Renegade Kid has revealed screenshots of their 3DS FPS project. Looks... quake-brownish. Reminds me of Blood, so looks promising.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Videotendo posted:

Considering it's a game built from scratch and not just an HD coating, $15 seems fair to me.

List of things the game should have in order to be worth $15:

* playable remakes of 1+2, seperate
* a big, bad "Master Quest" mode which includes all of parts 1+2 and some new areas, bringing the total to at least 15 levels
* optional trigger for original NES sound and graphics, seperately
(* online leaderboards and poo poo)

Bonus:

* make the 3DS version exactly like this, but based on the Game Boy games instead.

$15 is a lot of gaming value these days, although they are probably smart not releasing it on Steam because the price point is a joke in comparison to the things you can get there. Console digital platforms are just overpriced in general.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

JesustheDarkLord posted:

SuperCard DSTwo is the only flash card that works on 3DS now.

No it's not. The R4i Gold 3DS works just fine.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I think I'm going to bite on the target sale. Are there any big name games not reflected in the OP? Im thinking of getting Tales of the Abyss and/or Fire Emblem initially.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Luigi's Mansion and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon both come out Sunday, and Target is having a buy 2 get 1 free deal on games I believe.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

Luigi's Mansion and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon both come out Sunday, and Target is having a buy 2 get 1 free deal on games I believe.

I think the sale ends that day, I might be wrong.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

big mean giraffe posted:

And of course there's still that deal where if you buy an XL and either one of those games, then register them on Club Nintendo, you can get one of five different games for free through the eShop.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Laser Spider posted:

And of course there's still that deal where if you buy an XL and either one of those games, then register them on Club Nintendo, you can get one of five different games for free through the eShop.

I'm in the UK and I got an XL for my birthday and i'm holding on from registering it in case they do a similar deal over here. If not, who cares all we get for registering is like 500 stars.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

MrFlibble posted:

I'm in the UK and I got an XL for my birthday and i'm holding on from registering it in case they do a similar deal over here. If not, who cares all we get for registering is like 500 stars.

I'm not sure they will for a while as there was a deal like that in January. I'm holding off from registering as well, most of the club nintendo stuff is worthless.

A Miserable Robot
Nov 4, 2009
I've been looking at getting a 3DS recently for Monster Hunter and EO4 if that ever appears in Europe. Do any UK Goons know a good price on the XL? Cheapest I've found it so far is Asda at £149.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Okay so this is a bit of a stretch but, is there anyone who purchased and registered a 3dsxl recently, isn't interested in getting Luigi's Mansion 2/Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, but is interested in one of those reward games? If so would anyone want to work out a deal where I give you the Nintendo Club code for Luigi's Mansion for like Runner 2 on Steam or something?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Im thinking of getting Tales of the Abyss and/or Fire Emblem initially.
Yeah do this.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I am currently wasting a lot of time on Tokyo Crash Mobs.
Basically it's PuzzLoop/Zuma. Sometimes it feels too unforgiving, but it's nothing that puts me off.
I feel that the FMV/Hipster Hell theme/Cardboard Cutout graphics help a lot with the 3D Effect.

The following video has two modes, however there is a third "ninja attack" mode which uses gyro controls (I think it's optional in the story mode).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wX1NiY_Exg

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

limaCAT posted:

I am currently wasting a lot of time on Tokyo Crash Mobs.

If you want to know about this game, ignore the other posted video and watch this instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2bfHkJhjW4

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Laser Spider posted:

When does that deal end? Does that apply if you download Luigi's Mansion through the eShop too?

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Kaleidoscope posted:

When does that deal end? Does that apply if you download Luigi's Mansion through the eShop too?

I'd assume it applies for eShop purchases, as Nintendo would have to be stupid to not honor them. Even if it doesn't end up working, though, I've heard that Nintendo's customer service is good enough to where they'd probably manually give you the free game if you asked nicely.

As for the end date, it says there on the page that you have to buy the XL and one of the qualifying games by April 30.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Whats the goon consensus on the Castlevania game? Reviews are all over the place. I loved the 3 I got on DS.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Whats the goon consensus on the Castlevania game? Reviews are all over the place. I loved the 3 I got on DS.

For good or for bad, it is completely unlike the DS ones.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

It is absolutely nothing like the 3 DS games. It's a linear side-scrolling action game more akin to a 2D God of War (but infinitely shittier.) It is also not like the original Castlevanias in that regards either.

Avoid.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Bombadilillo posted:

You should really give the demo a spin. I was ready to give the game a fair shake, but when I played the demo I was just absolutely not feeling it. They even started the character at like level 15 or something so you had some reasonable combo variation options but even still it felt bland.

Kaleidoscope posted:

It absolutely should apply if you download via eShop. Just be absolutely sure to link your Club Nintendo account to your 3DS before you purchase and download LM2, because that link is necessary for any downloaded game to be registered to your Club Nintendo account.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 24, 2013

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

You should really give the demo a spin. I was ready to give the game a fair shake, but when I played the demo I was just absolutely not feeling it. They even started the character at like level 15 or something so you had some reasonable combo variation options but even still it felt bland.

It absolutely should apply if you download via eShop. Just be absolutely sure to link your Club Nintendo account to your 3DS before you purchase and download LM2, because that link is necessary for any downloaded game to be registered to your Club Nintendo account.

Cool. Thanks. Forgot the 3ds has demos. Getting excited here. Nice pricepoint and a library. Yay

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I don't think it ever came up, but anyone hungry for traditional Castlevania games on the 3DS might want to check out last year's Hotel Transylvania from WayForward. No one thinks it's great, but the 1Up review by Jeremy Parish seemed to paint it as a passable substitute.

quote:

Hotel Transylvania doesn't reach the lofty heights of the series it's drawn its inspiration from, nor does it live up to the standards WayForward is capable of accomplishing when they're exploring an idea near to their hearts. It's basically a modern-day equivalent of those mid-tier, post-Mario Commodore 64 and Amiga games that came out of Europe in the late '80s and early '90s: Pretty if ultimately a bit flimsy; derivative, but lovingly so. But it's perfectly playable, and amidst the morass of cheaply made, slapdash nonsense that comprises the bulk of hastily assembled movie products, it manages to be fun, if ultimately repetitive. If nothing else, it feels a truer to its source material than what I've seen of the upcoming Mirror of Fates -- even if it's not necessarily a better game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^Hotel Transylvania absolutely cannot compete with any of the Castlevania games, not even Mirror of Fate. They squeezed it out in around ten weeks, or so I'm told, and it really shows.

Anyway, Capcom has officially confirmed that Ducktales HD won't be coming to the 3DS, but here's the next best thing:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yachtclubgames/shovel-knight

Shovel Knight, a pseudo-retro platformer from a studio formed by ex-WayForward members that's very obviously influenced by Ducktales. It's being developed for PC, Wii U and 3DS, and if you pledge $15 or more you'll get a download code for the platform of your choice once it's done.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

^^Hotel Transylvania absolutely cannot compete with any of the Castlevania games, not even Mirror of Fate. They squeezed it out in around ten weeks, or so I'm told, and it really shows.

I haven't played it myself so I wouldn't know. I just thought it was worth mentioning since Castlevania continues to be a popular topic of conversation around here.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
E: Nevermind, misread something.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
I'm really looking forward to playing Luigi's Mansion Scarescraper with some goons. I assume we'll be posting friend codes in the official thread? Does anyone know if it uses any sort of matchmaking outside of friend codes?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Vince Videogames posted:

Okay so this is a bit of a stretch but, is there anyone who purchased and registered a 3dsxl recently, isn't interested in getting Luigi's Mansion 2/Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, but is interested in one of those reward games? If so would anyone want to work out a deal where I give you the Nintendo Club code for Luigi's Mansion for like Runner 2 on Steam or something?

Edit: Wait, no. Forgot it needs a recent XL registration too. Can't do it, sorry.

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 24, 2013

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hey, I'm about to go pick up an XL tomorrow at Target and I was wondering how long a system transfer would take on a public wi-fi network like one from a McDonalds. I've heard it takes 40 minutes; is that about right?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

ChaosArgate posted:

Hey, I'm about to go pick up an XL tomorrow at Target and I was wondering how long a system transfer would take on a public wi-fi network like one from a McDonalds. I've heard it takes 40 minutes; is that about right?

You're going to sit in McDonald's with 2 3DSes? Hope you're not sitting by yourself.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

Take it home and just do it in comfort of your own couch. Unless you want the comfort of a McDouble or something.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
I poked around the thread a bit and didn't see an answer for this. What time do e-shop games usually appear (EST)? Luigi's Mansion is gonna be the first day-one digital game I'm getting and I was curious when to start looking for it.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

IkeTurner posted:

I poked around the thread a bit and didn't see an answer for this. What time do e-shop games usually appear (EST)? Luigi's Mansion is gonna be the first day-one digital game I'm getting and I was curious when to start looking for it.

I think they usually show up around midnight Eastern.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

IkeTurner posted:

Give it about another 42 minutes from now. Retail games go up at Midnight EST. I got Fire Emblem at midnight on launch day :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I know the buy-2-get-1-free is about to end in 30 minutes but I was wondering, is there any reason why buying 2 3ds games and 1 pc game isn't valid for this offer? I figured I'd buy the 2 3DS games I wanted and the new SC2 expansion, but the deal didn't trigger. :( None were a pre-purchase either.

• Locked thread