Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

bowmore posted:

Is there anything I need to know about the Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB? It seems like good value for what it is.

I love mine, but it does feel a little "plastic-y" but it's got some heft and is sturdy as hell. I've got hardwood floors and there's no feedback from walking around while it's playing on my little entertainment console. So it does pretty much everything the Technics SL-1200 line does. Great sound, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Space Jam posted:

I love mine, but it does feel a little "plastic-y" but it's got some heft and is sturdy as hell. I've got hardwood floors and there's no feedback from walking around while it's playing on my little entertainment console. So it does pretty much everything the Technics SL-1200 line does. Great sound, too.
Awesome. I can get it for around $300 on Amazon (including shipping to :australia:) which is pretty drat decent since new tables that are not great at all go for $220 and used ok tables go for $150 upwards.

Also just put an order in for Nikola Sarcevic's new album Freedom To Roam, the black version is limited to 100 so I grabbed that one. I should be able to get it no wukkas because I don't think there is a crazy demand for it.

bowmore fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 23, 2013

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

alg posted:

Ah yes, Record Store Day, let's pay $40 for a new pressing of The Gambler

Look, RSD is a celebration of the very greatest independent record labels and independent music, such as this:

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Run Dodo Run posted:

Look, RSD is a celebration of the very greatest independent record labels and independent music, such as this:

I think I just threw up a bit in my mouth. That said, I am pretty excited for Hydra Head's Botch and Cave In RSD releases. I've only ever bought the We are the Romans repress from them, but it is a real thing of beauty and one of my favourite records.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Is that CoD thing real? I almost want to buy it on RSD just so I can fleece some loving moron on eBay.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Run Dodo Run posted:

This will go nicely with my Disturbed boxset from the previous RSD.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

nomapple posted:

I think I just threw up a bit in my mouth. That said, I am pretty excited for Hydra Head's Botch and Cave In RSD releases. I've only ever bought the We are the Romans repress from them, but it is a real thing of beauty and one of my favourite records.

HOLY poo poo! I had no idea they were repressing Until Your Heart Stops. Great, now I might need to participate in RSD...unless it's also getting a regular release.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Kevar posted:

HOLY poo poo! I had no idea they were repressing Until Your Heart Stops. Great, now I might need to participate in RSD...unless it's also getting a regular release.

Hydra Head announced plans to repress American Nervoso, Until Your Heart Stops, Caring and Killing and something by Discordance Axis a while ago. I think it will go up in their store as well because you are able to get a vinyl subscription from Real Tomato Ketchup for the next 5 or 10 releases.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

nomapple posted:

Hydra Head announced plans to repress American Nervoso, Until Your Heart Stops, Caring and Killing and something by Discordance Axis a while ago. I think it will go up in their store as well because you are able to get a vinyl subscription from Real Tomato Ketchup for the next 5 or 10 releases.

Didn't Hydra Head shut down?

E: kind of, I guess

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I have no need for it, my Invada copy is just fine.

But going up at a random time in the day and selling out within 30 minutes is hardly 'plenty of time', considering.

I meant "you" in a collective sense, not you specifically.

I just think that compared with a lot of other limited edition stuff that I've tried for, something selling out in a half an hour is a pretty reasonable window of time. They announced the date well in advance, they tweeted and posted on facebook when it went on sale. It isn't even totally sold out since there are 1000 more copies being released for RSD and then there will be copies of it sent to stores as well.

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012

nomapple posted:

DA said that Jouhou will most likely get a repress, and possibly Ulterior. Inalienable Dreamless has already been reissued once so I wouldn't count on that one.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Picked up some new vinyls recently. Found Another Green World at some bizarre rural PA thrift store for 50 cents.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

look at how intense and challenging my taste is guys

i'm really into the abstract and the abrasive. anything that challenges me. im always up for a challenge musically. spring is the season I go out and do field recordings of bees in fields and turn them into drone albums with concepts about deconstructionism and pollination.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

WASDF posted:

look at how intense and challenging my taste is guys

i'm really into the abstract and the abrasive. anything that challenges me. im always up for a challenge musically. spring is the season I go out and do field recordings of bees in fields and turn them into drone albums with concepts about deconstructionism and pollination.

Do you have a Youtube channel?

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Nice. what color vinyl is that aaron dilloway on

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Do you have a Youtube channel?

Yeah but its all video games and videos inspired by the analogue medium, hardly. http://www.youtube.com/user/TakeOpal

Chill Callahan posted:

Nice. what color vinyl is that aaron dilloway on

Black, nothing fancy.

WASDF fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 24, 2013

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Chill Callahan posted:

Picked up some new vinyls recently. Found Another Green World at some bizarre rural PA thrift store for 50 cents.

What pressing is the Sound of Confusion?

worthless insect
Aug 12, 2012

Probably going to end up picking up this http://plasticsmilerecords.storenvy.com/products/1223538-adobe-homes-pinata-9 and a copy of The Field Mice's Snowball by the end of the month. The Adobe Home's record looks really awesome and the guy who runs plastic smile records is a cool dude.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

von Braun posted:

What pressing is the Sound of Confusion?

It's one of the Fire Records reissues.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Hot drat.
Browsing Discogs to round out my Concrete Blonde collection (one of my favorite bands of all time) I noticed a song I'd never seen before, apparently they've released a new 2-song EP available as a limited edition on white vinyl.
https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/concreteblonde1

Well, I say 'new', apparently 2011, but hell, new to me.
Either way, just placed my order!

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Heads up y'alls, Daft Punk has a new album coming out on May 21st. The vinyl is now available for preorder here: http://www.myplaydirect.com/daft-punk

Normally I would roll my eyes at a $40 preorder that isn't a limted edition and/or color, but hey it's new Daft Punk :colbert:

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Chill Callahan posted:

That is a very pretty haul and I'm surprised to see anyone outside of Portland buying a hunches record. I've passed up on that Housemartins record at least once now for some stupid reason.

I've got a lead on a huge selection of Dance Mania records and I am reaaaally hoping no one decimated it while I was working over the weekend.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Other than what I've skimmed over regarding the new Flaming Lips release's delay, I haven't heard much about the vinyl release. Are they only offering the limited colored vinyl from their website? Is Warner Bros. gonna gently caress up this one like they did with Heady Nuggs? Do I really need to pre-order or is this "limited" release really limited to like 25k copies?

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

That is a very pretty haul and I'm surprised to see anyone outside of Portland buying a hunches record. I've passed up on that Housemartins record at least once now for some stupid reason.

I've got a lead on a huge selection of Dance Mania records and I am reaaaally hoping no one decimated it while I was working over the weekend.

Yeah, The Hunches rule. I got into them a couple years back when I had a huge In The Red kick. It's a shame I never caught them live, though.

That Housemartins LP is so good it's weird it got such a huge release on Elektra. You'll probably see it again for cheap.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I Might Be Adam posted:

Other than what I've skimmed over regarding the new Flaming Lips release's delay, I haven't heard much about the vinyl release. Are they only offering the limited colored vinyl from their website? Is Warner Bros. gonna gently caress up this one like they did with Heady Nuggs? Do I really need to pre-order or is this "limited" release really limited to like 25k copies?

If you're talking about The Terror, the WB site has the 'limited' (whatever that means) silver coloured vinyl for sale. Every other store has the 'regular' version. And Bella Union in the UK has the bonus 7 inch.

If you really ache for silver vinyl, go WB now. But who knows. Limited doesn't really mean poo poo anymore.

worthless insect
Aug 12, 2012

Have any of you guys ever seen a copy of Zoo Kid's Out Getting Ribs anywhere? I've had my eye on discogs for awhile now and I've seen old sold out store pages for it too. I'm sure it was pretty limited but I'm surprised nobody has tried to make some cash with it considering his new found popularity as King Rule.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Dissapointed Owl posted:

If you're talking about The Terror, the WB site has the 'limited' (whatever that means) silver coloured vinyl for sale. Every other store has the 'regular' version. And Bella Union in the UK has the bonus 7 inch.

If you really ache for silver vinyl, go WB now. But who knows. Limited doesn't really mean poo poo anymore.

Yes, thanks. I totally forgot that they were releasing it soon and started looking into a pre-order but like I said, haven't heard much about the vinyl release. Was just making sure that I wasn't missing some better deal or package somewhere.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I Might Be Adam posted:

Yes, thanks. I totally forgot that they were releasing it soon and started looking into a pre-order but like I said, haven't heard much about the vinyl release. Was just making sure that I wasn't missing some better deal or package somewhere.

The UK version is by far the best deal. Cheaper (even if you have it sent to the US), pressed on black vinyl (WBs coloured vinyl pressings are usually crap) and comes with a bonus 7 inch.

It's the best choice.

e: Also, the UK version comes out sooner.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

This is on Bella Union's website, right? I'm looking at their pre-order for it and it doesn't mention the 7". It is cheaper than WB's site but I think I could just get the regular black pressing from Amazon or something for about $33 and no shipping cost.

If the UK version had something different about it (other than the 7") I'd be all over it. gently caress, why is this record so expensive?

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
People who grinned themselves to death is quite common, but it's bloody good.

I like to blow people's minds when I tell them the bass player is Fatboy Slim. People that know nothing about music that is. :c00l:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The UK version is by far the best deal. Cheaper (even if you have it sent to the US), pressed on black vinyl (WBs coloured vinyl pressings are usually crap) and comes with a bonus 7 inch.

It's the best choice.

e: Also, the UK version comes out sooner.

I agree with all this and am already planning on getting the UK edition. But I'm pretty sure they come out on the same day now. The UK release date got delayed, most likely to line up with the US release.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

CPL593H posted:

The UK release date got delayed, most likely to line up with the US release.

No, because the CD and digital are still coming out on April 1 in the UK. It was just a manufacturing delay. Probably RSD.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Hey my copy of They Live showed up today. No shipping confirmation or anything, just showed up. They must have pushed up the release date. Totally going to listen to this while I clean my apartment today, and feel like a total badass drifter.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Surfingelectrode posted:

No, because the CD and digital are still coming out on April 1 in the UK. It was just a manufacturing delay. Probably RSD.

RECORD STORE DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! :argh:

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

CPL593H posted:

RECORD STORE DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! :argh:

I'm pretty sure the US CD and digital releases got pushed back to line up with the vinyl, though, which is a really, really stupid move on WB's part.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Oh boy I love discovering creases on the spine of a record I purchased just after excitedly peeling off the shrink wrap.

And then discovering the website's return policy is only for unopened items, and it was the last of their stock anyways.

So how far down on the grading scale do two 1cm creases cause an outer sleeve to go exactly? Would it still count as NM or does minute creasing drop it to VG+? I'm rather 'spergy when it comes to grading my collection but terrible at judging it.

Edit: Frank Turner's England Keep My Bones, if anyone is curious.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 26, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dr. Lenin posted:

Oh boy I love discovering creases on the spine of a record I purchased just after excitedly peeling off the shrink wrap...

To be honest, I wouldn't even give a poo poo. Rank it at VG+ and leave it at that unless it's been stained or something. Almost every new LP I've bought has some kind of surface damage- be it creasing, spine splitting, denting, etc.

I think it's got more to do with the materials that they're making the sleeves and packaging out of than something endemic to how they're shipped. The cardboard of yesteryear might be less fancy than today's paperboard and cardstock, but it holds up to stress exponentially better than today's sleeves and gatefolds.

...and don't even get me started on liners. Every time I get an album with a printed liner (generally made out of a material that feels identical to the stuff cheap posters or magazine covers are made of), the drat thing's already started splitting along one or more edges.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Dr. Lenin posted:

Oh boy I love discovering creases on the spine of a record I purchased just after excitedly peeling off the shrink wrap.

And then discovering the website's return policy is only for unopened items, and it was the last of their stock anyways.

They wouldn't have exchanged it for something that minuscule anyhow dude. Creases on the spine are very common. At least they weren't split right through or the corners bashed in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Bliggers- posted:

They wouldn't have exchanged it for something that minuscule anyhow dude. Creases on the spine are very common. At least they weren't split right through or the corners bashed in.

Ah true, I'm just weird when it comes to my collections. I don't know if it could be classified as OCD, but I get easily annoyed when I get something in less than perfect condition, even with something that is easy to damage like a sleeve. I actually just returned a record today through Amazon because the sleeve looked like sometime tried holding it horitzonal by only the corner, so I guess I should be glad it wasn't THAT bad.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I think it's got more to do with the materials that they're making the sleeves and packaging out of than something endemic to how they're shipped. The cardboard of yesteryear might be less fancy than today's paperboard and cardstock, but it holds up to stress exponentially better than today's sleeves and gatefolds.

...and don't even get me started on liners.

Yeah, the box it shipped in is in perfect shape so I'm assuming it just got crushed sometime between being created and going to the store. Oh well. And most printed liners in my collection have split edges right from the start, so I always end up switching the record to a new inner sleeve and sliding the notes in alongside it.

I'm really liking the packaging on Animals As Leaders' S/T though, it's made of some super thick cardboard. I accidentally dropped it and banged a corner - not even a trace of a mark on it.