Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

404GoonNotFound posted:

So I finally picked up The Rook yesterday, and I gotta say it hooked me a lot more easily than Greywalker (which I put down and still haven't returned to sometime around... I dunno, just after the dinner date with the auctioneer guy?).

Anyway, all this fairy talk reminded me of the October Daye series, which I have jotted down on a list of potential series I made a few years back... and promptly forgot where or under what context I got the recommendation in the first place. So, anyone ever heard of this one? Any opinions?

The series [Dayz] has a problem where the books start to feel like filler and the characters don't progress as people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

I think October Daye is a decent choice for people that enjoyed Dresden, and actually didn't feel that there was that much filler. There's a ton of foreshadowing though, so if you're the type that dislikes portents in your writing I can see where that argument could come from. The characters absolutely do progress as people as the series goes on, though.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

404GoonNotFound posted:

So I finally picked up The Rook yesterday, and I gotta say it hooked me a lot more easily than Greywalker

The Greywalker books are a slow burn but they pay off well in the end. The Rook moves much faster and is much much better.

I've recently finished Magic Ex Libris Book 1: Libriomancer by Jim Hines and would like to add my voice to the "this is awesome" chorus.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

pseudonordic posted:

I've recently finished Magic Ex Libris Book 1: Libriomancer by Jim Hines and would like to add my voice to the "this is awesome" chorus.

I loved the book, but it has one major fault: it handles relationships/sex worse than Dresden ever has.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

ConfusedUs posted:

I loved the book, but it has one major fault: it handles relationships/sex worse than Dresden ever has.

You're just jealous that you don't have a tree nymph whose literal nature makes her fulfill your every whim. :colbert:

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

pseudonordic posted:

You're just jealous that you don't have a tree nymph whose literal nature makes her fulfill your every whim. :colbert:

Aren't we all?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

why oh WHY posted:

Aren't we all?

Maybe you, but I have my own tree nymph. :smug:

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Raygereio posted:

Secondly the "What do you think about them gays"-interlude. I'm not completely against a writer preaching (I think it can be done well), but this was just awkward. Did people complain about the various Harry/Thomas gay jokes and was this Butcher's attempt at apologizing?
As with Lea, I'm just going to make up my own explanation and pretend that Eldest Gruff has a thing for Harry and asked Titania to test out the waters for him.

To be honest it didn't strike me as a talk about gays so much as about free will, which is one of the biggest themes of the Dresden universe (and probably THE theme for Cold Days). If you're outright discussing said theme, it makes sense it gets played up a bit. Gay men were mostly a jumping off point for that discussion based on the location for the meeting and homosexuality being one of the more common sources of people saying "you can't exercise your free will because it disgusts me". The free will thing keeps constantly popping up prominently whenever Harry is talking to the senior fae in the book really; this was just Titania's turn.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

ConfusedUs posted:

She's not as bad as Dresden, but is still slightly on the awkward side of center. She's a lot more confident and has far fewer autistic tendencies.

pseudonordic, you're the one who pushed me to the series. Can you tell me if the second book is the low point? Because I liked the first but the second was a muddled mess.

Yeah I'm glad I pushed past book 2 of Greywalker because that was an incredible bore. After that each book got markedly more engaging.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Cold Days stuff.

MadDogMike posted:

To be honest it didn't strike me as a talk about gays so much as about free will, which is one of the biggest themes of the Dresden universe (and probably THE theme for Cold Days). If you're outright discussing said theme, it makes sense it gets played up a bit. Gay men were mostly a jumping off point for that discussion based on the location for the meeting and homosexuality being one of the more common sources of people saying "you can't exercise your free will because it disgusts me". The free will thing keeps constantly popping up prominently whenever Harry is talking to the senior fae in the book really; this was just Titania's turn.
That actually makes a lot of sense. And fits with Titiania's comment how that question was supposed to teach her something about Harry. I still think that section could have done with a rewrite, but when looked at from your perspective it's less jarring... still awkward though.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

pseudonordic posted:

It's been a while since I read this, so I may not be remembering everything, but as far as I can remember , he at least tries to portray the fact that she was created this way to be somewhat sick - and tries makes her growing a personality independent of other people a plot point. It seemed to focus more on the fact her personality was so amorphous that she didn't really even have an identity outside of whatever would please whoever she was with and how this was a bad thing instead of her being some super sexy male fantasy perfect girlfriend.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

As Harry explained it many times, the star in the pentagram represents the five elements bound and controlled by human knowledge, represented by the circle. So what would the pentagon in the center of the pentagram represent?

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Wolpertinger posted:

It's been a while since I read this, so I may not be remembering everything, but as far as I can remember , he at least tries to portray the fact that she was created this way to be somewhat sick - and tries makes her growing a personality independent of other people a plot point. It seemed to focus more on the fact her personality was so amorphous that she didn't really even have an identity outside of whatever would please whoever she was with and how this was a bad thing instead of her being some super sexy male fantasy perfect girlfriend.

Is that what happens? Because I stopped reading it after it was revealed about 50 pages in that she's this sex nymph and will only be happy if she has sex with the protagonist. Like, really???

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Wachepti posted:

Is that what happens? Because I stopped reading it after it was revealed about 50 pages in that she's this sex nymph and will only be happy if she has sex with the protagonist. Like, really???

Yes. Go back and re-read. It's a good story but as ConfusedUs said, the relationship/sex parts need a lot of work.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dietrich posted:

As Harry explained it many times, the star in the pentagram represents the five elements bound and controlled by human knowledge, represented by the circle. So what would the pentagon in the center of the pentagram represent?

The union of all these elements?

r0ff13c0p73r
Sep 6, 2008
So doing a reread of Cold Days and when Harry goes to talk to Mother Winter, Mother Summer says that she lost her cane Could this be a reference to the blackstaff?

They mention multiple times that immortals experience time very differently from mortals, so theoretically a thousand years would be nothing to the fae.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

r0ff13c0p73r posted:

So doing a reread of Cold Days and when Harry goes to talk to Mother Winter, Mother Summer says that she lost her cane Could this be a reference to the blackstaff?

They mention multiple times that immortals experience time very differently from mortals, so theoretically a thousand years would be nothing to the fae.

There's a quote from Jim on the official forums that rules it out.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?

r0ff13c0p73r posted:

Wow, that's really funny. I just read that part like 10 seconds ago and came to post the same theory. Guess it isn't true, though.

Do we know what it is?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Thalamas posted:

Do we know what it is?

It's Mister. It's always Mister.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
Finally something that makes a little sense around here...

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!
No loving way it's Mister. It's obviously TootToot...Geez don't you guys know anything.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
It's (the) Merlin's Staff. White wood, smooth and uncarved. Sheesh.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So I just finished The Rook and... wow. I mean, it was loving great, but this has to be the weirdest book to discuss with friends. But on the bright side, it's impossible for anyone listening to actually be spoiled due to how loving strange it all sounds.

"Hey, where are you?"
"After the meat cube, not quite to the duck."
"Oh, cool."

It's almost like O'Malley got the situations and powers out of a book of mad libs, and yet it works.

Anyway, I assume the sequel's going to be called The Bishop?

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 24, 2013

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

"Hey, where are you?"
"After the meat cube, not quite to the duck."
"Oh, cool."

I know exactly which parts you're talking about. :psyduck:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

404GoonNotFound posted:

Anyway, I assume the sequel's going to be called The Bishop?

Not necessarily.

Daniel O'Malley posted:

Quite a few people have asked which chess piece the next book will be named after, but I am not convinced that I will go with that recurring motif. For one thing, it’s already been done, and for another, it sort of limits one to six titles. (And since the Checquy doesn’t use ‘King’ and ‘Queen’, it’s a bit tenuous anyway.)

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

After months of one of my friends needling me to read it, I finally picked up 'Storm Front' three weeks ago.
I finished Cold Days last night.

It sucks not being able to mainline the next book immediately. Waiting is the worst.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

cptn_dr posted:

After months of one of my friends needling me to read it, I finally picked up 'Storm Front' three weeks ago.

It sucks not being able to mainline the next book immediately. Waiting is the worst.

Well there's still Side Jobs and the other shorts (Even Hand, Curses, the Bigfoot trilogy) if you stuck to only the main series. It's not much, but it'll help a little.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

cptn_dr posted:

Could be worse. a few years ago we had people doing the same thing in the thread, but they had to stop at the end of Changes.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Stroth posted:

Could be worse. a few years ago we had people doing the same thing in the thread, but they had to stop at the end of Changes.

That was *the worst*. I did that and just wanted to die when I couldn't get resolution.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
I just finished Wolf in Shadow, by John Lambshead. Definitely best new urban fantasy this year. It is far as I know only available as a Baen E-ARC.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Just started Rook, since I got to about 90% of the way through the first Greywalker and relised I hadn't given a gently caress about the story since about the half way mark (if it gets better, I'll slog through to the good bits).

Rook is pretty enjoyable so far.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

AlphaDog posted:

Just started Rook, since I got to about 90% of the way through the first Greywalker and relised I hadn't given a gently caress about the story since about the half way mark (if it gets better, I'll slog through to the good bits).

Rook is pretty enjoyable so far.

I'm halfway through book 2 of grey walker and I'm about to just shut it down. I'll probably pick up The Rook if I do as it seems to be getting good feedback

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah, Greywalker wasn't bad exactly, it just didn't grip me at all. The setup and concept is pretty cool, but the execution is only average, the story is all over the place, and the one really cool bit the necromantic organ didn't seem that actually scary/interesting in the end. I guess it was nice to see modern vampires that are similar to the old Dracula type vampires, but they kind of wore thin really fast.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

AlphaDog posted:

Yeah, Greywalker wasn't bad exactly, it just didn't grip me at all. The setup and concept is pretty cool, but the execution is only average, the story is all over the place, and the one really cool bit the necromantic organ didn't seem that actually scary/interesting in the end. I guess it was nice to see modern vampires that are similar to the old Dracula type vampires, but they kind of wore thin really fast.

I felt the first Greywalker book was a decent first book. A slow burn, yes, but there was obvious care put into it.

Sadly, the second Greywalker book was an even slower burn than the first. It tied together really well at the end, but it was too much of a mystery the whole time. The answers were never obvious and didn't come together until the very, very end.

pseudonordic says that Greywalker series really picks up after the first few books, and I trust his judgement. I'll pick up the third book eventually.

On a related note, the first Twenty Palaces series suffers from the same "too much mystery" problem at first. It's action packed and bloody as hell, but we, the reader, have no loving clue what's going on for far too long.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

That's what I liked about Dresden and like about Rook - There's a mystery, but it seems to be going places. It's bizarre as hell at times, but they plot moves along and you gradually find out more.

I checked my Kindle, and I'm 85% of the way through Greywalker and I still don't really get what's happening on a "tying it together" level. Also, the protagonist's lack of understanding of everything is pretty annoying. At least Dresden is already a wizard and can give the reader some idea of what's going on.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

AlphaDog posted:

Books 1-3 are basic "learning the powers" stories that build on each other. 4 and 5 are essentially one storyline but do reference the first three here and there. 6 is decent. I'll get to 7 after I finish my current reads. :3:

20 Palaces reads better as a whole if you read the prequel first.

I guess I just have more patience or lower standards for my entertainment fiction reading..... :haw:

Edit: My wife reading over my shoulder said I should "make AlphaDog a beta for talking poo poo about [my] books" :lol:

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 25, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I don't think it's about standards, and I don't think it's a bad book, it's just clearly not really my thing. I didn't think I'd like Dresden, either. It took until nearly the end of Storm Front before I'd decided to keep reading, and I nearly quit halfway through Fool Moon and again at the start of Grave Peril when it didn't seem to be getting much better.

I'm not actually a big fan of modern fantasy, and I think most of it is completely awful. I didn't put Greywalker down after the first 50 pages, so it kept my interest better than most modern vampire/ghost/witch books. And like I said, there are some really cool ideas in it. The main concept is pretty interesting and entertaining, and I guess I was hoping it'd be explained faster, because I do want to know more about the Grey and how it all works.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

pseudonordic posted:

20 Palaces reads better as a whole if you read the prequel first.

Agreed.

It's a great series, but by reading the prequel first, you'll lose out a little bit of the tension in the first book. The alternative is being completely lost, so take your pick.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

ConfusedUs posted:

Agreed.

It's a great series, but by reading the prequel first, you'll lose out a little bit of the tension in the first book. The alternative is being completely lost, so take your pick.

See, I hadn't seen that advice awhile ago when I picked them up, and without that the series just never caught on for me. I agree with that someone previously said- they focused SO MUCH on how mysterious everything was, and how much had happened that the reader didn't know about, that it made it really hard to connect to. I read them all eventually, but I never really loved them.

The Rook, on the other hand, I maintain is fantastic and I can't wait for a new one to come out. It's still a drat big world with a lot left to explore in subsequent books, but it doesn't.. I dunno, focus on it so much, I guess? Or dwell on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

OmniBeer posted:

The Rook, on the other hand, I maintain is fantastic and I can't wait for a new one to come out. It's still a drat big world with a lot left to explore in subsequent books, but it doesn't.. I dunno, focus on it so much, I guess? Or dwell on it.

Yeah, the whole aspect of Myfawny having to hide her amnesia and having tons of contingency planning really means that the book take for granted that you just know there's people out there who can communicate with shrubbery by blinking, or who can fly at exactly 14 kilometers per hour, or who secrete various types of marmalade*. It doesn't take the time for people to stop & have "as you know" conversations (apart from the letters, of course), and is so much better for it.

*And yes, that's only mildly less weird than actual powers in the book.

• Locked thread