Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Overture posted:

How can I unequip abilities? Not seeing a way to do that, and I really want to, because I am upset my claw currently sucks.

Go to the ability slot in the garage and hit None. You can also buy an extra stock gun for the Accord frame over at Copacabana and pop that into a advanced frame if you don't like what it has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

The basic gameplay wasn't revamped at all in this patch. The gear/ability/class system was, that's not base gameplay. If you had a good handle on the basic gameplay before the patch you were just fine after.

Actually, you're right. Basically everything other than the basic gameplay (running around, shooting things) has changed. The progression system, the crafting system, the resources, battleframe skills and customization, some of the movement(air-sprinting and the energy cost for sprinting in pvp), etc etc.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

CLAM DOWN posted:

The basic gameplay wasn't revamped at all in this patch. The gear/ability/class system was, that's not base gameplay. If you had a good handle on the basic gameplay before the patch you were just fine after.

e: Also apparently armies are limited to 20 members right now, their official word is because they might have to wipe guilds. Welp.

Well this is dumb as gently caress. They don't have to add army leaderboards or any features like that, just let communities be able to easily play amongst themselves and then there's no wiping needed.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tufty posted:

Well this is dumb as gently caress. They don't have to add army leaderboards or any features like that, just let communities be able to easily play amongst themselves and then there's no wiping needed.

It's a beta, don't worry about it, they specifically said they're adding incomplete features. You should expect wipes and limitations.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Nalin posted:

So, apparently you can go into your tier 1 Assault frame, unequip all the good abilities, then toss them into the Tigerclaw. Now the Tigerclaw is awesome again. You lose out on rocket jump and cannonball, but the new passive gives you a massive energy recharge rate after you use a skill. Use afterburner and just fly around until the ability ends. It is very nice.

The same thing works with weapons, but you have to craft a new one first. You can put the normal splash Assault weapon on your Tigerclaw if you craft one. Also, after playing with it for a day, the fusion cannon isn't TOO bad. I upgraded enough to dump myself into the 25% extra damage bracket, so I can one-shot many things with it. And now that I finally figured out how the alt-mode works, I can do AoE splash if I need to (once the bar goes green, right click a 2nd time to launch the projectile. I was waiting for it to fill green, then red, and thought it took way too long to fire.)
I'm eSporks in game, I told you about that. Unfortunately it does not work in pvp, you are locked into the stock frame. The pvp gun also seems to have less aoe than the default, I pretty much never get splash of any kind. Its damage is also just barely under 2 shot range, so you have to land 3 direct hits or finish them off with the rifle at which point the accord gun would just be better. Oh, did I mention the RoF is painfully slow. Like I said before, its like playing a really slow recon that shoots nerf darts and you do less damage too.

I really dislike the pvp changes. I can understand wanting a level playing field, but having 0 customization just makes things sort of lame, especially when the choices you get stuck with are so bad.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 23, 2013

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
This is the topic where they are discussing armies by the way:
http://www.firefallthegame.com/community/threads/20-man-limit-to-armies-not-acceptable.86424/

Wadjamaloo posted:

I'm eSporks in game, I told you about that. Unfortunately it does not work in pvp, you are locked into the stock frame. The pvp gun also seems to have less aoe than the default, I pretty much never get splash of any kind. Its damage is also just barely under 2 shot range, so you have to land 3 direct hits or finish them off with the rifle at which point the accord gun would just be better. Oh, did I mention the RoF is painfully slow. Like I said before, its like playing a really slow recon that shoots nerf darts and you do less damage too.

I really dislike the pvp changes. I can understand wanting a level playing field, but having 0 customization just makes things sort of lame, especially when the choices you get stuck with are so bad.
Yeah, I haven't even bothered using the Tigerclaw in PvP. You can make it fun in PvE by cannibalizing tier 1 abilities and getting the 25% damage buff, and I was solo thumping with it last night after everyone left. But stock? It is a piece of crap.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nalin posted:

It is a piece of crap.

It was my main T2 frame before this patch, but how is it a "piece of crap" now? It's nowhere near what it used to be, but it's still very good and I've been trying it out today quite a bit.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's a beta, don't worry about it, they specifically said they're adding incomplete features. You should expect wipes and limitations.

I've been through tons of wipes in Firefall, I just think it's stupid for them to add the army system FINALLY and then limit it so harshly. If they're planning on an army wipe in the future (I'm guessing this will be to do with army-wide bonuses, PVP leaderboards etc) I don't see how wiping the progress of a guild with 100 members is any different to one with 20. And since the army features that necessitate a wipe aren't even in the game yet (right?), the crazy low limit makes even less sense. I just want what is a essentially a meta friends list so I can play with goons rather than having to rely on grouping with pubbies :(

Edit: After reading the Red5 post in that thread linked above it makes a bit more sense. I hope they get around to adding the ability to expand army size sooner rather than later.

Tufty fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 23, 2013

az
Dec 2, 2005

Can I get an invite into Goons without joining mumble, I would much prefer that.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

az posted:

Can I get an invite into Goons without joining mumble, I would much prefer that.

Anyone around to throw me an invite to the goon army or let me access mumble? I'm locked out of most channels

Nymix
Mar 3, 2013

xxEightxx posted:

Anyone around to throw me an invite to the goon army or let me access mumble? I'm locked out of most channels

Game servers are crapping out at the moment so I don't think [GOON] is created yet. Chris is also AFK and he's the one who authenticates people.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Well, at least I can experience the joy of SimCity without paying EA 60 bucks.:argh:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Login screen says they are investigating the cause of the "establishing connection" issue and hope to do a hotfix soon!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So what does capturing towers and SIN networks do? Just give you map access and occasionally respawn points?

I see a lot of what I guess is the melding out west, and it looks like someone cut a path north through it via capping towers. So I was wondering what that's all about.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
edit: never mind i'm dumb.

Do we have any sort of new crafting guide available, because I don't get it at all. I can't make heads or tails of this poo poo.

Juchero fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 23, 2013

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Capping certain areas ensures things like increased XP and resources. And capping other areas prevents the Chosen from spreading too fast. Also, you can't see everything in an area if the Chosen have it.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Absurd Revolver posted:

edit: never mind i'm dumb.

Do we have any sort of new crafting guide available, because I don't get it at all. I can't make heads or tails of this poo poo.

The devs posted a guide: http://www.firefallthegame.com/community/threads/crafting-and-you.86499/ It's not super helpful but it'll explain the main differences.

demoneyespaul
Sep 14, 2007

PIATPIATPIAT!

Morgoth posted:

EDIT: Someone already got you.
EDIT 2: Website is 504'ing for me and the game will get itself stuck on establishing connection. :psyduck:

Yup, it's happening to me as well, sad to say. I just wanna thump with goons. :smith:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

It's weird that they keep throwing out this vertical progression buzz word, I never really know what they mean by it.
However, with this patch I find it strange that customization is basically gone and your guy simply just gets better but very very slowly.

VonLudwig
Apr 22, 2008
Customization now sits in the crafting system, which is only half built. It boils down to, you can make a gun that does more damage, but it will use more power than your base gun. You can offset this by making it do less aoe damage, for example, so that it will fit in your constraints. Likewise for armor, jumpjets/servos, abilities and eventually reactors as well, I guess? They've hinted as much, at any rate. You can actually customize your frame a lot more than before, you just have to navigate the very early version of a UI to do so.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

VonLudwig posted:

Customization now sits in the crafting system, which is only half built. It boils down to, you can make a gun that does more damage, but it will use more power than your base gun. You can offset this by making it do less aoe damage, for example, so that it will fit in your constraints. Likewise for armor, jumpjets/servos, abilities and eventually reactors as well, I guess? They've hinted as much, at any rate. You can actually customize your frame a lot more than before, you just have to navigate the very early version of a UI to do so.

Speaking of the crafting, I keep getting this weird bug where the crafting UI pops up but it doesn't recognize any of my resources, as in I can only make health packs for the mission and then all my materials just disappear.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

dromer posted:

Speaking of the crafting, I keep getting this weird bug where the crafting UI pops up but it doesn't recognize any of my resources, as in I can only make health packs for the mission and then all my materials just disappear.

You may need to reload your UI with /rui, the interface is extremely buggy.

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?
Game looks pretty fun. Is any of the NPC warfare stuff in, or is it all just roaming around the open world shooting things and collecting resources?

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Coach Sport posted:

Game looks pretty fun. Is any of the NPC warfare stuff in, or is it all just roaming around the open world shooting things and collecting resources?

Its quite a sight to see an invasion of Chosen emerge from the melding, even more amazing when they catch you off guard and you're running for your life.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
I've got a twitch.tv thing going. Maybe you can watch and see if you like it.

http://justin.tv/foonwad on or off, can't join team members or leaders because you run the chance of getting the connection bug.

It's up and running again.

It's off! done playing for a while.

fromoutofnowhere fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 24, 2013

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

When they use words like vertical progression, the easiest thing to think of is levels. In something like wow, a level 50 has no chance against a level 60. By reducing vertical progression, the newer player has a better chance against against an older player, or a still significant impact to the game. Or take perhaps the last iteration of frames, where you were going to go t1->t2(better version of t1)->t3(better version of t2) etc. This is vertical progression.

Horizontal progression means that there is a lot of options, while they don't increase in overall strength that much. Sort of like how in EVE you can max out a single skill rather quickly and be able to compete with someone who has been playing forever, but they have a lot of different options they can do, while the newer person is more limited/focused. If you have a lot of horizontal versus vertical progression, newer people will be able to contribute more, while older person will have more options, is the general gist of things.

In the latest patch, it means that new frames they add won't necessarily be stronger than the current frames, but instead offer a different playstyle than existing frames. Compare the two current bio frames, and how they're drastically different, but not necessarily stronger than the other. That is horizontal progression, while a vertical progression would be where one is clearly weaker than the other.

Sorry if I went on a bit too much on the point, scotch is great at making me type!

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
This game looks really fun from fromoutofnowhere's stream. Too bad a ton of people still can't login to the drat game. :argh:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

whatspeakyou posted:

This game looks really fun from fromoutofnowhere's stream. Too bad a ton of people still can't login to the drat game. :argh:

All login issues have been fixed for me. Now I can't access garage or crafting :(

Zwick
Sep 30, 2004
Think.
I just get "beta.firefallthegame.com site error, please try again"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I got on this morning and spent about four hours playing with everything working properly, but as time went by more and more people logged out and no one logged in until there was nobody left on the shard but me. Then I logged out and now I can't get back in.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

ZypherIM posted:

Vertical progression
Except that's not what this patch has done at all. Customization is pretty non existent, so side grades aren't much of a thing.
Go pvp, it gives you upgraded gear automatically and it's all way way better than stock.

Christopher
May 29, 2006

Wadjamaloo posted:

Except that's not what this patch has done at all. Customization is pretty non existent, so side grades aren't much of a thing.
Go pvp, it gives you upgraded gear automatically and it's all way way better than stock.

This is actually not the case at all. You can completely customize your frame including abilities, weapons, plating etc. For example, if you like Rhino but want one of your Accord Dreadnaught abilities to use in place of one of the default Rhino abilities, you can unequip it from your Dread and equip it with your Rhino or just craft a new one exclusively for your Rhino frame. It is very customizable it's just a new system with a bit of a learning curve.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

All login issues have been fixed for me. Now I can't access garage or crafting :(

There's a note on the login screen saying the character database is hosed and you most likely won't be able to log in. I haven't been able to play since the patch.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rasmussen posted:

There's a note on the login screen saying the character database is hosed and you most likely won't be able to log in. I haven't been able to play since the patch.

Yeah that was from before this current issue. No login happening for me right now :(

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
I was really looking forward to giving this a shot, too. :smithicide:

Christopher
May 29, 2006

whatspeakyou posted:

I was really looking forward to giving this a shot, too. :smithicide:

Yeah, huge patch so this is expected. It'll be fine in a few days for sure.

Here's a pretty cool guide to crafting. I also added it to the OP.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Edit: decided to move this over to the begging thread. Ignore.

Baiku fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 24, 2013

Christopher
May 29, 2006

Zasraik posted:

Edit: decided to move this over to the begging thread. Ignore.

Going to edit the OP so that the begging thread is the only option. Was going to consolidate it initially but it's a bit messy.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Got my invite, but it looks like their download page is down. The hiccups of a beta I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zasraik posted:

Got my invite, but it looks like their download page is down. The hiccups of a beta I guess.

One frustrating thing about this (not directed at you, just in general!) is the reaction of a lot of people to the current problems. Understandably so, people these days (even me) expect a beta to be the completed product with a few last minute issues, more of a demo or preview than a beta. Firefall is an actual loving beta, especially with this latest update. Grummz (their CEO/COO) specifically said that the systems they put in with this huge revamp are incomplete and very early works in progress. They want to get feedback and ideas from the players and finish the new systems based on what people want. A lot of bitching and complaints have surfaced the last 2 days with people thinking this is a completed game of any kind, with no thought being given to the fact it's a work in progress.

People haven't really seen a real beta in so long, we got so used to seeing them used as preview demos with no major changes coming. I hope most of us here at least can see past that.

• Locked thread